COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! That's the leftist attitude! Shutting people down and preventing legitimate discussion!
I don't know if you've followed all of the threads on here lately but we've tried having legitimate discussions but certain people keep deflecting or using biased sources. Whenever logic and reason are used they get met with a brick wall.

I don't know if you've followed all of the threads on here lately but we've tried having legitimate discussions but certain people keep deflecting or using biased sources. Whenever logic and reason are used they get met with a brick wall.
Yes I have been following along and it's an absolute car crash at the moment.

Yes I have been following along and it's an absolute car crash at the moment.
Couldn't agree more. I'll admit I've come close to running out of patience. I'm glad we have certain rules here unlike other boards with vulgarity is allowed to get thrown around. Helps keeps us relatively civil.

I don't know if you've followed all of the threads on here lately but we've tried having legitimate discussions but certain people on both sides keep deflecting or using biased sources. Whenever logic and reason are used they get met with a brick wall.

FTFY

Fun fact:
If the USA had fifty (50) TIMES the per capita COVID death rate as New Zealand’s, 113,985 of our people would still be alive.
(Data from worldometers)

Another fun fact:
That’s ALREADY happening. While the Trump administration is ignoring peaceful protesting, Biden is getting the blame for all incidents of violence at protests because they are examples of what WOULD happen under a Biden Administration, rather than being REALITY under the Trump Administration.

That may have been true if the Americans were healthier, however https://principia-scientific.com/finally-cdc-admits-just-9210-americans-died-from-covid19/

All those old people would've died anyway without the Covid? Nice. But then... why aren't the fatality numbers this high every year?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200701125506.htm

I wonder at which stage "repeatedly posting information that is false, misleading, or inaccurate" becomes "knowingly posting information that is false, misleading, or inaccurate".

Last edited:

Principia Scientific International is not a reliable source and it often promotes false information and pseudoscience. You probably shouldn't get your information from them. John O’Sullivan is also not a reliable author given that his book, Slaying the Sky Dragon: Death of the Greenhouse Gas Theory, is based on pseudo-science and even has a co-author that believes the sun is actually a ball of iron.

About O'Sullivan's findings though. If you have asthma, contract COVID-19, and subsequentially die your cause of death isn't asthma, it's COVID. You can live a reasonably long life with asthma and not have any severe issues. You only die from asthma if you have an active asthma attack and end up dead. Not coding the death as a COVID-19 death would be the same as someone with asthma getting into a car accident and dying, but then being coded as asthma and not blunt force trauma.

There's also a huge lag between the provisional counts and actual counts. While the CDC says there's an average of a 1-2 week lag time, it can be significantly more.

Someone at my work has tested positive for Covid-19. I’m now stressing like crazy because I was on a shift when they where in. I have a pot washing job and she was a waitress. I’m usually in the sink and haven’t been in 1m distance with her.

Should I self isolate for 2 weeks?

Someone at my work has tested positive for Covid-19. I’m now stressing like crazy because I was on a shift when they where in. I have a pot washing job and she was a waitress. I’m usually in the sink and haven’t been in 1m distance with her.

Shouldn't your employer require all staff to test? It's likely you should get a test on your own.

I know there has been several quite big outbreaks at workplaces in Scotland, and people have been told to self-isolate for two weeks in those instances... but in those cases, there was a proven spread within that workplace - unless others in your workplace also test positive, you probably won't have to self-isolate. Hopefully you will get tested and know for sure, but in case you don't then perhaps it would be a good idea to avoid visiting friends and family (esp. older relatives) for the time being, if you aren't already doing that.

That said, if someone I work with tested positive, I would effectively self-isolate for two weeks, though that is not hard for me as I live alone and am not planning to visit my family any time soon.

Shouldn't your employer require all staff to test? It's likely you should get a test on your own.
My employer said that anyone who has Came within 1m distance with her should self isolate for 2 weeks. I haven’t, but I still don’t know what I should do. I wash my hands every half an hour at work, and work in boiling hot soapy water when I’m doing the dishes.

I know there has been several quite big outbreaks at workplaces in Scotland, and people have been told to self-isolate for two weeks in those instances... but in those cases, there was a proven spread within that workplace - unless others in your workplace also test positive, you probably won't have to self-isolate. Hopefully you will get tested and know for sure, but in case you don't then perhaps it would be a good idea to avoid visiting friends and family (esp. older relatives) for the time being, if you aren't already doing that.

That said, if someone I work with tested positive, I would effectively self-isolate for two weeks, though that is not hard for me as I live alone and am not planning to visit my family any time soon.
Yeah I think I’m just going to take the two weeks off at work, to be safe then certain. My workplace has shut down now too, until the forceable future too. I think I’m just gonna self isolate, then when I think it’s safe to go out after the 14 days is up - I’ll go get a test.

Good luck 👍

Sadly, I think this kind of disruption is going to be very common.
Thanks man! :cheers:

I should be fine, but it’s better to be safe & keep the ones around me safe.

That’s also what I was thinking. Have a feeling that when I go back to college, there will be many times where we will have a few weeks off due to students getting Covid. Can just see that coming.

Doesn't matter what the messenger says, it's all about the messenger. I choose to believe that the mainstream media has an agenda. You choose to believe that they don't. You take the information from your sources because it makes you feel better, but it doesn't, it's a scary message. How bad do you really think this is? Do you think it's better or worse than the media is telling you? Or do you think it is exactly as dangerous as the media tell you it is? Do you think that your immune system performs better when you are scared or happy?

Remember, it's not Covid that's causing problems here. It's the lockdown!!!!!

Just because someone has tested positive doesn't mean that they are infectious https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rus-positivity-rate-high-tests-sensitive.html New York Times has made reference to this.

Cheer up people.

I just started a job as a lecturer, but I have no idea when students will be back....

.... oh, and it also appears that Glasgow is now back in 'household lockdown', so I can't now visit my parents even if I was planning to.

I must admit, I'm starting to get a little confused myself about what we can and cannot (or should not) do... I can meet workmates and friends from multiple households in the pub (where this is also a whole bunch of other people too) but I can't visit my friends' house?

x3ra
Seriously?

Give it a rest.

I choose to believe that the mainstream media has an agenda.
*quotes the Daily Mail as a supporting source*

dTDEwSO.jpg

Doesn't matter what the messenger says, it's all about the messenger. I choose to believe that the mainstream media has an agenda. You choose to believe that they don't. You take the information from your sources because it makes you feel better, but it doesn't, it's a scary message. How bad do you really think this is? Do you think it's better or worse than the media is telling you? Or do you think it is exactly as dangerous as the media tell you it is? Do you think that your immune system performs better when you are scared or happy?

Just because someone has tested positive doesn't mean that they are infectious https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rus-positivity-rate-high-tests-sensitive.html New York Times has made reference to this.

Cheer up people.

I assume you're responding to me, but I'm not really sure. You can click "Reply" in the bottom of the post and it will quote it.

I'm also not looking at the mainstream media, I'm looking at academic sources and reading academic commentary on those sources. It's far better than relying on any media since taking something straight from the source gives you the clearest picture of what they're saying. Most science-based studies aren't looking to instill fear or scare people, they're providing information. So while I'm not complacent, I'm not terrified either. I believe COVID is something to take seriously, is deadly, and is still largely unknown to really say what the long term effects will be. I have no desire to contract it and will do everything I can to reduce the likelihood of contracting it. This means limiting where I go, practicing good hygiene, and, of course, wearing a mask.

COVID is also absolutely causing problems, big problems. Lockdowns pose their own issues, but guess what the cause of the lockdowns is? COVID.

No you're wrong. Why has flu never caused these problems ?

https://openthemagazine.com/feature/the-tyranny-of-coronaphobia/

You're overly scared. Maybe you should read some self-help books. Or some statistical books.

And avoid looking at your own shadow.

Influenza has caused a ton of issues in just the last century alone.

And no, I'm not overly scared, but thanks for thinking of my well-being. I want to be knowledgable and I genuinely find reading scientific studies on COVID to be interesting. If I didn't find them interesting, I wouldn't read them.

Really!!!??? I don't remember not being allowed to visit my grand-parents. I don't remember having to queue up for 2 hours to go to the tip, I don't remember having to book a table at a pub. I don't remember half the workforce taking a paid holiday at the expense of everyone else.

What problems are you remembering and from when?

I just started a job as a lecturer, but I have no idea when students will be back....

.... oh, and it also appears that Glasgow is now back in 'household lockdown', so I can't now visit my parents even if I was planning to.

I must admit, I'm starting to get a little confused myself about what we can and cannot (or should not) do... I can meet workmates and friends from multiple households in the pub (where this is also a whole bunch of other people too) but I can't visit my friends' house?

This whole situation is a mess. It's very confusing indeed. I just cannot believe it's come to this, the world has come to this. Now I can't even get close to my Mam & little brother, who I live with which is pretty upsetting for me. Wish this bloody virus would just P off at this point. It's ruined everything, it's also played a big role in my mental health declining rapidly to very low levels, lowest I've felt since 2018 (went through a horrid break up with someone who was emotionally abusive in 2018). Think once it's safe enough, I'm going to get myself into the doctors and get my mental health back on track & myself sorted when things calm down. But on a high point I'm going to invest all my time into listening to lots of music, and maybe even start a diary of every* passing day. And video games, currently doing a playthrough on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, cool game! I'm sorry I'm just venting at this point.

But when start your job, I wish you all the best, & hope you stay safe and healthy. :) I should be starting college at the end of the month, but have no idea when. I have to isolate until the 13th so it won't be until after then for me. I'm predicting around the 21st of September, the second last Monday before October like the usual, but it wouldn't surprise me if they push it back to October due to all the cases rising (because of the increase of tests of course). Who knows, just hope the cases go down.

Last edited:
Really!!!??? I don't remember not being allowed to visit my grand-parents. I don't remember having to queue up for 2 hours to go to the tip, I don't remember having to book a table at a pub. I don't remember half the workforce taking a paid holiday at the expense of everyone else.

I said from the last century, as in during the entirety of the 1900s. Probably the most well-known of these is the Spanish Flu pandemic, which approximately 50 million people worldwide and infected 33% of the global population. The response was fairly similar to what we are seeing today too. Schools, churches, and entertainment centers were closed, face masks were more or less required, and social distancing measures were put into place. If you'd been alive in 1918, you probably couldn't have gone to your local pub. You also probably wouldn't have gotten a paid holiday, but rather just a holiday.

If you want something more current, during the H1N1 pandemic in 2009 we saw similar responses from various countries. In Mexico, for example, schools and entertainment centers were closed.

Is your activity on this forum strictly confined to grieving about COVID? By your signature and low post count it seems plausible. If so....WHY? It seems like a tremendous waste of time - you're clearly not convincing anybody - and it seems like an odd place to carry out your mission in the first place. Of course don't let me stop you from yelling at clouds if that's your jam.

Besides being way more comfortable for the patient, these tests should also reduce the bottleneck of testing. While I'm not sure this will lead to mail-in testing, at least not yet anyway, testing sites could have cars line up and a nurse delivers the tube to the car. Then after you're done spitting, you put your hazards on or something to signal you're finished. In theory, several people could be doing the test at once instead of waiting in line for your turn. In addition, this would also decrease the time the clinical person spends with the patient making it safer for them.

Was this not already being done across the country? Nebraska has been doing their nasopharyngeal testing in cars pretty well since the start of this whole thing. I've had to go twice now, and both times it went remarkably quick - less than five minutes. Drive to the location, pull up to the nurse and roll your window down, experience what it's like to have your brain poked via your nose, go home and wait for results.

Was this not already being done across the country? Nebraska has been doing their nasopharyngeal testing in cars pretty well since the start of this whole thing. I've had to go twice now, and both times it went remarkably quick - less than five minutes. Drive to the location, pull up to the nurse and roll your window down, experience what it's like to have your brain poked via your nose, go home and wait for results.

Yup, I think most places are doing drive-up testing. However, the issue drive up testing experiences is that you can only test as many people as you have lanes at one time. So if you have four lanes open leading to four tents, then nurses can only administer four tests at any one time. With the saliva tests, a nurse would be able to walk down a line of cars and hand out the tubes to collect the spit. Then, either the car signals they're finished or they simply drive up and drop off the tube. By removing the need for a nurse to administer the test, it should, in theory at least, speed up the process.

At least that's what one of the doctors that regularly speaks on how testing is going where I work put it.

We started the saliva testing today at my work so I'll be curious to look at the reports at the end of the week to see if the wait times were reduced at all.

My wife and I took a "drive-up" saliva test for Covid-19 here in NJ last week. She's a public school teacher and it was required for her before returning to the building, and since we spent 2 days down at the beach in a rental, even though we were extremely careful, I figured I should get tested too, just as a precaution. It was the first time either of us had stayed away from home since February.

It's not exactly what we were expecting. We still had to get out of the car which I thought kind of defeated the whole purpose of a 'drive up' scenario. But in retrospect, it was well organized with the police directing people to park a space apart and then walking, masks on, counter clockwise to the line of people leading up to the testing area, and joining the line with 6 foot intervals. While standing in the line, we passed signs with large scanable bar codes how to log in and register and they had workers up and down the line registering people who didn't understand how or didn't have their own mobile devices.

I couldn't hear the entire conversation but one woman a few places in front refused to give any personal information, got into an argument with the worker and stormed off. I don't know how you can expect to go for a test and not give personal information. I kept thinking, if that woman really is infected, well....what an idiot.

When you approached the end of the line they handed out test kits and you either scanned them from your own phone to upload the test kit number (matching up with your details) or the worker who entered the information for you scanned the kit. You were then directed to walk to an area, kit in hand, where you could stand, with distancing, in front of signs showing what to do and with other people demonstrating.

At first it looked a bit daunting because you have to spit into a tube and reach the level of a black line, about 2/3 of the way up the tube. But then you realize that the interior bottom of the tube is about half way up. You screw on a lid, clean both it and your hands with an alcohol swab, toss it into a collection box, and continue to follow a counter clockwise path back to your car. The whole process start to finish took about 45 minutes and we had the results emailed to us about 24 hours later.

My 5-year old is now masked all day at school, every day.

Our local school is doing remote learning at the school. Meaning some fraction of the school's kids come in to the school and are organized in a masked classroom where they set up laptops and log in to see their teachers - who are at home teaching all of the kids. Demand for in-person access to this kind of supervised remote learning was big, and the school has a waiting list that they're trying to address by hiring more "pod" supervisors.

Prior to the actual building coming online, we had a period of remote learning where my wife and I managed 2 kids logging in to zoom calls and virtual classrooms. It basically took one of us full time to manage the two. They would have zoom calls at different times, meaning one kid rolls off for independent study, or snack, or lunch, or break, while the other kid was on a call, and then switch. Just helping them manage the mute button, get logged in to the right website, find the sheet the teacher wanted to have them do, etc. was plenty to keep me running between two kids. My 5 year old can't read yet, so she gets presented with a password prompt and puts in her username. Stuff like that. Her laptop (chromebook) issued by the school, was actually pretty thoughtful. She has to put in a 7 digit number (and that's a tricky thing for a 5 year old, who could botch a number easily and not realize it) as her username. But then she gets presented with two picture passwords, which is a breeze. But the software has kinks, so when you shut the laptop and open it again, it wants an actual password, not the picture one. Which is not something she can easily recognize.

Also when she logs in she knows how to click on some of the right icons, but finding the "thursday" set of activity links is not necessarily easy for her. It's much easier for my older kid who can read the prompts on the screen. For the older one, she tries to unmute herself to say something and a prompt comes up in front of the video chat that says "the host has disabled the unmute feature" and then has two buttons that you can click for something like "ok" and "cancel" or somesuch nonsense. The 5 year old in the same boat now has this blob in front of the video chat and has no idea what has happened. The older kid can read through it and click away.

Also one of the teachers had a crap internet connection and basically couldn't be heard for 2 days. That led to some chaotic classroom experiences.

Honestly for remote learning, if my kids weren't able to go to the school and be supervised, I'd be tempted to pull them out of the school and run a homeschool curriculum. It would be easier to manage for one parent than what the school is asking for.

However, the learning pod situation is fantastic. There is a supervisor for like 10 kids who can deal with any technical issues, prompts, login problems, etc. for each of the kids and get them where they need to be. And the kids are with their peers in these groups and can see the other kids participating and hear them more easily. They also have friends they can play with during recess. It's a far cry from regular school, but it's way better than being stuck with your parents.

The school apparently prioritized kids who don't have internet at home, or who have single working parents, dual working parents, first responders, etc. in a tiered list for who got selected first on the list. They currently have a small waiting list that I think they'll be able to get into the system relatively quickly if they can hire some more pod supervisors. The kids are masked, distanced, sanitized, etc. all day long, but it is such a boost for them to be at school among the other kids. And it is a big boost for parents too.

Hopefully it continues to go well.

Back