COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
A small update: feeling much better this afternoon after sleeping on and off since Friday. Managed to eat something but I can't tell the difference between curry and porridge as senses of smell and taste are missing.

As an aside (not that I ever thought I was going to the other side), but I thought of all those people in the early days and those that are still dying today, and what an utterly awful way to go.

To anyone undecided about vaccines: I am glad I got mine and the boosters, so speak to people that you know have been vaccinated, speak to professionals, even read this thread from start to finish, and make up your own mind based on facts.

Also thanks for the sad emojis everyone, cheered me up!

Staying cool and living long!

There's a new study, published in Nature Medicine, that suggests people who get infected with COVID again after an initial infection are more likely to have worse outcomes:

So, if anyone had their initial series of vaccines and forgoes the boosters, it's probably worth reconsidering.

My mum's booster has finally been arranged. After months of waiting the clinic phoned me in the middle of another appointment to say it's next Friday or nothing. So it's next Friday, then. Sometime between eight and five.

Last edited:
It looks like we're at the start of a new wave here across a few states and territories, and our Chief Health Officers keep urging everyone to get their fourth shots - but for my age group, the fourth dose is only available for under 30's who are at risk/immunocompromised. It seems that the health authorities don't think it's worth the risk of another dose for us, but I'm pretty sure other countries have been offering it for months....

Last edited:
Pfizer and Moderna are both starting studies that will look at myocarditis and other health issues, if any, caused by the vaccines.

And since there's such a fine, level-headed approach to information regarding vaccines I suspect that there will be a not-so-insignificant number of people who will skew the hell out of the study to show that COVID vaccines cause communism.

Welp.

The missus tested positive this morning. Came home sick yesterday, after feeling a bit under the weather the evening before. Developed the headache, the sweats and more than normal toilet runs. Headache is already gone again, bowels already relaxed again, a bit sweaty and now she sounds like she has a massive cold.

I'm still symptom free.

I just did my first test, negative for now. I do have a tiny bit of a sore throat, and a minor headache but that one seems to be the regular one coming out of my neck.

The missus now just sounds like a mucus machine.

My mum has finally had her covid and flu jabs just now. One of the ladies who visited to do them was coughing badly so I'm glad she was wearing a mask.

Last edited:
Well. I had some fever attacks this morning but slept through most of it. I also feel as if I've been hit by a car in the waist. Lost my appetite though.

Edit.

Tried to sleep most of the day, was fairly successful. I had to force myself into the shower a second time to get rid of the headache temporarily, so that I could shove some food in and take some painkillers. I just felt myself get a hundred times better in the shower with the hot water on my head.

The missus still has a nasty cough and a bit slow all around, but it seems that she has seen the worst of it already.

Last edited:
I am glad I took the shots, because my Saturday night was a horrible night of not sleeping, with an extremely weird headache on the back of my head I couldn't get rid of until I jumped in the shower Sunday morning and pretty much roasted myself to loosen up my muscles. Had no appetite at all on Saturday, just ate 2 egg rolls in the evening. Woke up Sunday at around 12 again feeling a lot better, at least no more pain on the back of my head, just on the front, but that's definitely because the some green stuff filling up all the cavities, and that's still here, but tea seems to work a bit. Sunday evening I finally got my appetite back after not eating again all day. Ordered a large shoarma with fries and I can tell you, that was great eating.

The same goes for the missus. She's about 2 days ahead of me so she's now just nursing a decent cold.

So once again, I'm glad I'm vaccinated because I wouldn't want to endure this for weeks.

I am glad I took the shots, because my Saturday night was a horrible night of not sleeping, with an extremely weird headache on the back of my head I couldn't get rid of until I jumped in the shower Sunday morning and pretty much roasted myself to loosen up my muscles. Had no appetite at all on Saturday, just ate 2 egg rolls in the evening. Woke up Sunday at around 12 again feeling a lot better, at least no more pain on the back of my head, just on the front, but that's definitely because the some green stuff filling up all the cavities, and that's still here, but tea seems to work a bit. Sunday evening I finally got my appetite back after not eating again all day. Ordered a large shoarma with fries and I can tell you, that was great eating.

The same goes for the missus. She's about 2 days ahead of me so she's now just nursing a decent cold.

So once again, I'm glad I'm vaccinated because I wouldn't want to endure this for weeks.
The lamb tasted terrible sir. Glad to hear you are on the mend and that your guard can now rest.

I never had Corona.
Around 40% of SARS-CoV-2 infections result in no symptoms - in other words, it is very difficult to say for sure that you have 'never had Corona' unless you are one of the vanishingly small minority who have been tested for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies and tested negative.
And i never wear a mask
... which would be a real pity if it turned out that you have actually had a SARS-CoV-2 infection but never knew it, which is likely the case for millions of people.

Wearing a mask is about protecting other people from you, not just about protecting yourself. Sad that this still hasn't sunk in for some people.

Last edited:
As I've said in this thread before and as stated in the OP, false information will be deleted - and reposting content that has been deleted by a moderator will earn you an infraction.

My wife tested positive. I've been exposed for the last 4 days. We'll see if I develop it.

Well she's done with her quarantine period, and I still have no symptoms. As far as I can tell, one of my kids had it, she had it, and then two other kids did not and I did not. The two kids were tested using a PCR test (negative). I tested with an at home (negative). It is possible I had an asymptomatic case.

Last edited:
Twitter has stopped labeling COVID misinformation:

1669743518956.png

Not that the average Twitter user since Karon Musk took over accepts that COVID is real in the first place.

It's tempting to dismiss this as no big deal given that people have mostly moved on. But it sets us up poorly for another emergency.
Unfortunately, we're probably teetering right on the edge of it becoming an emergency again too since only 12.5% of the able population in the US has the updated booster dose:

Especially since the CDC just added another subvariant to its tracker, XBB:

Couple this with the RSV outbreak and the higher-than-normal flu infections and you can see how the pieces are in place for another healthcare disaster.

Misinformation is only going to add another variable that couple tip healthcare over the edge again. I know plenty of medical professionals are over it as well which is why some health systems can't even pay them enough to stay.

Unfortunately, we're probably teetering right on the edge of it becoming an emergency again too since only 12.5% of the able population in the US has the updated booster dose:

Especially since the CDC just added another subvariant to its tracker, XBB:

Couple this with the RSV outbreak and the higher-than-normal flu infections and you can see how the pieces are in place for another healthcare disaster.

Misinformation is only going to add another variable that couple tip healthcare over the edge again. I know plenty of medical professionals are over it as well which is why some health systems can't even pay them enough to stay.
Do we know what percentage of the population actually got Omicron? That's got to count for something.

It's tempting to dismiss this as no big deal given that people have mostly moved on. But it sets us up poorly for another emergency.
It's possible anti-vaxxers will feel emboldened by this and spread their nonsense about the technology behind some of the COVID vaccines which will lead to groups of people refusing future vaccines for other diseases.

Just this month there's been very promising results for an mRNA-based vaccine for flu, potentially changing the game on how to protect against flu (currently seasonal vaccines are developed based on predictions) which could ward off a devastating pandemic.

Then there's the future of cancer vaccines....

Do we know what percentage of the population actually got Omicron? That's got to count for something.
I don't think we know for sure, however one of the better estimates I've seen puts it at around 70% of the US population. But the article is from February, so the number now is probably over 80%.

I think the biggest problem we have with getting an accurate number is due to home testing. As much as I hate this saying, it truly is a case of what we don't know is what we don't know.

Regardless, the number is rather significant, but we still don't know for sure how long antibodies last in the body nor do we know for sure if the new subvariants are targeted the same way of the previous subvariants. COVID still hasn't been around long enough for us to get the data and since it's a forever-moving target, it might be a minute before we do. I'm sure that previous immunity to Omicron is helping to keep severe illness down that results in death.

Twitter has stopped labeling COVID misinformation:

View attachment 1211823

Not that the average Twitter user since Karon Musk took over accepts that COVID is real in the first place.
My first thought upon seeing this was "for ***** sake, that's any and all of the decent progress we as the world have made gone"

The way I read that is Twitter is no longer moderating views promoting false information about something that can cause major harm.

Jesus.

Sigh, started to feel a bit off yesterday and tested myself this morning. Sure enough I've got Covid again.

Not too concerned for myself but with my wife being immunocompromised due to her MS it makes it tougher to manage as I have to also care for her when I'm home.

Sigh, started to feel a bit off yesterday and tested myself this morning. Sure enough I've got Covid again.

Not too concerned for myself but with my wife being immunocompromised due to her MS it makes it tougher to manage as I have to also care for her when I'm home.
Really sorry to hear this @Shaun. Please tell me you're at least both caught up on your boosters to lessen her chance of being infected? My mum is eligible for monoclonal antibodies via the NHS should the worst happen so I also hope this is an option for you.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear this @Shaun. Please tell me you're at least both caught up on your boosters to lessen her chance of being infected? My mum is eligible for monoclonal antibodies via the NHS should the worst happen so I also hope this is an option for you.
Thanks mate, yeah we are all up to date booster wise.

Bronny (my wife) did get an antibody treatment when we all first caught Covid earlier in the year and we're sure it helped and will go down the same path again if needed.

And unfortunately my wife has tested positive this morning.
After all she's been through I was hoping she would dodge it this time but alas no.
Currently she's feeling not too bad and we think she may have even passed it on to me and not the other way around as she was feeling a bit poor a few days prior to what I was.

Personally I'm going fine, last night I was shivering yet hot but now just feel like what you normally do with a head cold.

Last edited:
Back