• 19 comments

Cowboy

Lariat Member
Premium
United States
North Dakota
RacingCowboy570
RacingCowboy570
You may remember that I have a thread for GT6 car reviews, and now I have one for Horizon 3! Kinda wierd how I haven't seen any threads like this, I figured that someone would've done this already. Basically I will just be doing leisurely reviews of various cars. You're welcome to suggest cars for me to review as well as say your two cents about these cars too.

Enjoy :cheers:

Car #1: 2016 Dodge SRT Viper ACR

GetPhoto (3).jpg

Blue with silver stripes, a Viper classic

What do you think of when you hear the word "viper"? The snake, the rapper, maybe a type of weapon? Some people instantly think of the monstrous behemoth from Chrysler that gives Corvettes and other supercars a run for their money. The Viper is a very well known car, it's been going for 25 years yet production stopped in 2016. The car I'm talking about today is the final form, the ACR. The ACR isn't a new thing for Dodge, in fact this version was available for every generation Viper. So without further ado, let's get rolling.

GetPhoto (4).jpg

The front splitter and humongous wing keep the car planted at high speeds

So the ACR rolled into Horizon 3 in the Alpinestars car pack back in October and it was the first car from the pack that I drove. This is a track ready car, so it has a racecar like attitude on the Aussie highway. It's very planted, mainly from the big front splitter and ever bigger rear wing. The engine is the usual 8.4 liter V10 producing a healthy 645 HP. The throaty scream of the engine is pure music to a lot of ears, especially mine :D. With the pros, there must be cons. Luckily this car doesn't have many, though what I'm gonna now can be said about the majority of other cars in this came: visual customization. This car gets the generic front splitter and Forza race wing for aero, that's it.

GetPhoto (5).jpg

A stray XK120, nothing out of the ordinary

The Viper holds a place in a lot of people's hearts. Since it's dawn into the automotive universe it's recieved a lot of praise, and some backlash. The new ACR isn't my favorite variant, but that doesn't say that I wouldn't mind having one. It's a good car for most anything in Horizon 3, whether it be racing, drifting, or just cruising with friends. If you're looking for a safe car to drive that yet delivers the excitement factor, this is a car I would recommend.

Last edited:
This Viper ACR I think is a really amazing car. I don't think there's many cars that are better around Goliath than this, as it can have over 1,000HP while staying in S2 and (provided you keep the rear wing) is probably the best car in the game for negotiating those high speed turns, as it corners faster than any other car I've driven in FH3. Haven't driven it too much in it's stock form but I imagine the huge aero heavily restricts it's top speed, with most S1 cars probably beating it in that regard.

I'd like to see a review for the new Aston DB11 or, if you don't have the DLC, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

Car #2: 2007 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
Suggested by @ykiki

GetPhoto (6).jpg
Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the view

Alfa Romeo has a rich history whether it be motorsports, or just the cars that roll off the production line. Until the mid 2000s though, the Milan based manufacturer hadn't really had a true sports vehicle. At the time, they had the 147 hatchback to the GT. The 8c made its debut in 2003 as a concept, started production in 2007 and ran for only a short 2 years. There was the hardtop Competizione model, and the 8C Spider roadster variant (2008-10) as well.

GetPhoto (7).jpg

All this scene needs is some Italian opera

As the name suggests, this car has a 4.7 V8 producing around 450 HP. The power can match the cosmetic appearance, smooth yet having the usual Alfa-like styling. From a front view you'll see the grille with a V-shaped cutout in the middle, and headlights that remind me of bug eyes.

GetPhoto (8).jpg

You know what they say, you gotta get a little mud on the tires

Though it may look different compared to most cars, it's got a mind of its own. Inside you'll find carbon fiber, a lot of it. The whole dashboard is comprised of this material, along with traditional Alfa styling. Progressing to the rear of the car the body takes a smooth appearance complemented with big round tailights. So internally and externally it's a piece of art as it seems.

GetPhoto (9).jpg

The 8C can pull off some sweet drifts with its generous power

Being that it has a healthy amount of power, being rear wheel drive, and having some weight you'd think it would slide around on the road. That is in fact true, but only if you push it hard enough. It does in fact have some oversteer yet it is controlled easily. My favorite thing when driving this is the sound. The 4.7 V8 roars through the double exhaust kinda like a Corvette sounds like. Top speed that I hit was around 175 but that's still fast enough for one of these.

GetPhoto (10).jpg

Found @SlipZtrEm rolling about in a California

So the verdict. I had not touched this car since I won it in a wheelspin, and I kinda regret it. It's sure a fun car, mainly for cruising around and stuff. I didn't get the time to put it in any races, though I think it would struggle.a little bit because of how slippy it may be at times. Nonetheless though, if you are contemplating on buying this, I say go for it.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the review @Cowboy. I used to be one of those people who would always go and collect Ferraris (and to some extent Lamborghinis) in videogames. Those were always the "cool" Italian cars.

Then along the way something in me changed. I decided to take a step back and see what else is out there. Now I'm hooked on Alfa Romeo, with the occasional Maserati thrown in. When it comes to the 8C, I decided to take a chance and ventured into the Auction House where I picked one up for half the retail price. It has since become my favorite cruising car as the sound grabbed my attention and has yet to let it go.

Car #3: 2016 Aston Martin Vulcan
suggested by @ZDUPH

GetPhoto (11).jpg

Feel intimidated yet?

Aston Martin is no stranger to powerful cars. The One-77, V12 Vantage, the Vanquish, and many more. Recently however, the guys in England have been crafting a more powerful, more race bred machine, the Vulcan. The Vulcan made its debut in Horizon 3 back in October's "Spinning Tire" car pack as a more vicious predator. It's wierd how Playground Games puts this as a Hyper Car rather than a Track Day Car, but nonetheless let's get rolling.

GetPhoto (12).jpg

A track car in the Outback, a common sight in Horizon 3

As mentioned before, the company are no strangers to powerful cars. This one has a beastly 820 HP powered by a 7.0. liter V12, and is a track only car. Only 20 of these cars exist, being valued at $2.3 million so yea, you may need a bigger wallet if you're looking to snag one of these. The car looks vicious and kind of reminds me of a batmobile. The open looking mouth in front warns cars ahead of what coming, along with the hidden narrow headlights. Progressing to the rear the car takes on a smooth style as usual Aston Martins are, then you reach the huge wing and wide diffuser in the rear, complement by the usual Aston taillights.

GetPhoto (13).jpg

With a mouth that big I don't see how anyone would want to be in the Vulcan's path

On the interior you'll find carbon fiber, a lot of it. Astons are known for being quite heavy, but this one looks to be the opposite. Essentially, this car is carbon everything. From the dashboard, to the chassis, it's noticeable that all measures have been taken to ensure that this is as light a car as possible. The cockpit is racecar-like, with a formula looking steering wheel. So just how does this car drive? Well, it's pretty much like the Viper ACR except with about 200 more horsepower. This one feels a little more slippy at lower speeds, but once you get going fast it becomes planted to the ground immensely and will take most corners with ease. I have to criticize the engine sound as it sounds like a Ferrari or Lamborghini V12 and not a raspy Aston engine, but the performance this car possesses makes up for it quickly. With all this downforce and grip, the car averages a top speed of around 185 mph.

GetPhoto (14).jpg

The gas is cheaper in Coober Pedy!

The Vulcan is one of those cars that you either like it or hate it. I for one like it, it has the attitude and craftsmanship of a race car, yet it could act as a street car even if it's not street legal. I haven't seen this car at all in any online sessions, but against AI it does a nice job. Unfortunately if you don't own the DLC for this car you're missing out on a nice opportunity, and I hope that more cars like this can come in the future because let's face it, anything can happen in Horizon 3.​

Last edited:
I love the Vulcan. Mine's in green with the yellow/orange stripes and I love how it handles. I actually managed to beat a fully tuned Countach in an online race of Goliath with it. Well, when I say beat he got the lead early on but about 1.5 minutes in i overtook him, never saw his car again until I realized he quit the race while I was halfway through lap 1. Not that great in a straight line but I don't think there's much better you can get for going round a corner.

Car #4: 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
suggested by @JASON_ROCKS1998

GetPhoto (15).jpg

You thought the Vulcan was intimidating? Think again

Yet again we have a supercar, but this time with some bull horns. Yes ladies and gents, today we have the Lamborghini Gallardo, but not just any baby Lambo. This one is the lighter, faster, more powerful Superleggera model. I really like the Gallardo (2009-2013 at least) and am happy that it's legacy is continued with the stylish Huracan. The Gallardo was first put into production in 2003 and ran for ten years until ceasing in 2013. Over it's lifespan the car had seen many special editions including the Nera, Balboni, and even police units. Nonetheless, the baby Lambo gave people an alternative to the then new Murciélago, as the Huracan does with the Aventador.

GetPhoto (16).jpg

A lone unit from the Gold Coast Police Department decided to join me

Superleggera means "super light" in Italian, and this car sure is light. A big amount of the interior is filled with carbon fiber which did save a bit of weight. The car looks like a regular Gallardo except with a bit more aggressive presence. A black splitter on the front gives ahead cars a taste of what coming, the black stripe on the sides with Superleggera written on the body, and the rear wing to give this car some downforce. The paint colors are pretty usual of what you'd see from Lamborghini, from lime green to black to orange like mine.

GetPhoto (17).jpg

Sometimes you just have to stop and take in the scenery

How does it drive you ask? It feels a lot like a base Gallardo, but faster. The mid engine all wheel drive system let's this car rocket through corners at high speeds yet being stable in the process. Turning it loose in the Outback and you're able to witness the scream of the Lambo V10 underneath, and the car would often hit 180+ mph which is pretty good for a car like this. What I like the most about driving it is that the car doesn't want to kill you, you can relax and the car kinda takes over everything else. Cruising along the beachfront was quite a laid back experience and to be honest it felt like I was in the actual driver's seat.

GetPhoto (18).jpg

Typical stroll through the countryside

The Gallardo holds a place in a lot of people's hearts. I personally think it's the best looking modern Lamborghini unlike the Veneno and Aventador. It's got the looks, attitude, and driving style that almost anyone can enjoy, especially if you're a fan of V10s. I personally would use this for road trips or cruising around, but racing it is just as fun too. Do I still prefer this over the Huracan? Yes, but the Huracan is not far behind.....​

Car #5: 1979 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

GetPhoto.ashx

Wait, that's a 70's car?

It was the '70s. The war in Vietnam ended, American muscle cars were in their prime, the music was great, it seemed to be a good decade to be a part of. To a lot of people it really was, however if you were a car enthusiast it was a decade of struggle. The early years of the decade had some of the most iconic cars of all time like the Charger and Camaro. When the oil crisis happened in 1973, US automakers suffered greatly. They were forced to come up with new cars that could save gas and unfortunately lose a lot of their power. Cars like the Mustang II had a mere 110 horsepower compared to having near 300 in previous years. While other companies were suffering, one company seemed to know how to deal with this, General Motors.

GetPhoto.ashx

The Trans Am/Camaro brotherhood, one of the most iconic partnerships in American automotive history

Now i'm not saying GM was out of the woods here as they dealt with this issue as well. The Camaro had lost the Z28 name after 1974 but eventually returned in 1977.The Camaro and Pontiac Trans AM seemed to be the luckiest of cars in this time of crisis. While other cars were putting out 150 horsepower, these two could get near 210. Most cars in the mid to late 70's had the square, boxy look whereas the Camaro and Trans Am had a look that told others they were still in business. So how is the Camaro in Horizon 3? Well the car has been in Forza since forever it seems and is one of the more forgotten cars of the game. It has a look of a racer yet could be a cruiser. The interior is the common 70's interior, lots of wood. So with the low power, can the car still be enjoyable to drive?

GetPhoto.ashx

The Camaro's rear wheel drive drivetrain and soft suspension help the car induce drifts

Yes, yes it can. For a car that came from a time where muscle cars turned into regular daily drivers, this car did quite well in my opinion. It has just enough power to pull off some drifts, a nice rumbly engine for cruising, and the looks to match. I was pleasantly suprised how this car handled off road. The suspension setup lets this car tackle dirt roads and hills with ease, something that good rally cars possess. Is the car fast? Well, it's not a Koenigsgg Regera, but the car could still hit 110 mph which was actually pretty good for its time. The transmisson is a 4-speed which was a common occurance.

GetPhoto.ashx

I honestly don't know what's going on here

So would I recommend this car? If you want to build a drag car with over 1,000hp, this wouldn't be a bad choice. If you just want a different car to cruise around with your friends, this would be a great candidate. It certainly is not the fastest car in the game but if you give it a chance I think that you'll be satisfied, even if there are faster option available.​

It's been ages since I last drove this gen Camaro in a racing game, think the last game I drove it in was Forza 2. However, I love the '77 Trans Am. Not that powerful stock (210HP is still good though) but with stock tyres you can still get it up to 400+HP in C Class which is pretty amazing, even if it results in a car that is less controllable than a bus. Still a really fun car to drive though.

For the Lamborghini Gallardo SL, it's a car I think I've only ever driven in NFS. I drove the standard LP560-4 in GT5 but never the Superleggera outside of NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 (And the Performante in NFSMW2012). Really great car to drive in those games with plenty of power and great handling with an incredible V10 engine sound. Can't wait til I get my hands on it on FH3. Would make a great S1 racer vehicle I think.

For the next car can I suggest the Ferrari 599XX?

Back