Crash Damage will change the game dynamic

• Thread starter WonkyFonk
  • 71 comments
I agree with you in most points and I admit it's hard to explain for me, but what I mean is this whole concept of two different modes, especially the boost effect, will piss many less skilled (like me) and casuals players off, not attract them...
the standard physic is no fun, it's just boring and unfair ( in my and anyone's else opinion i've asked )

I'm not against more choice but that could be done simply thru tyre regulations, which the F430 N1 race is a very good example.

And the LOL was mainly for the idea of damage implemented properly (and getting rid of lag at the same time ) ;) I may doubt this will ever been done, as much as i'd love to see it.

The only thing making me look forward is that the previous concept and prologue games of GT always where kinda lame as far as physics and tuning options go.
Cool, glad we agree.. Sort of :dopey:

I dunno, there are some people here who occasionally enjoy standard physics. I think doing it through tyres still causes a massive problem - a 500bhp RWD supercar will always be lairy regardless of how sticky the tyres are. It would be a lot harder to control those cars with a pad than with a wheel, nevermind being competitive with it.

I think everyone is being really optimistic, I stated what I would like to see - your LOL is similar to what I think will actually happen... Shortcuts will be taken and the game will not be as realistic as I hope. It will still be lots of fun though :)

My experience with damage in console racers is:

1) Visual damage with no mechanical damage - there are lots of games like this. For example Ferrari Challenge has (not very convincing) visual damage. I still prefer this to no visual damage, because it at least registers the fact that you HAVE hit something. The way cars bounce off other objects in the GT series with absolutely no consequences is just too weirdly "unrealistic" IMO.

2) Mechanical damage - the best example is F1CE, which has very simple, but totally "effective" damage: if you suffer slight cosmetic damage there are no consequences to your performance; if you hit something harder, you are forced to pit; more serious impact puts you out of the race. This works perfectly well with F1 racing, but it IS very tough to deal with, makes online racing very "tricky", & would be harder to implement with road cars where damage is likely to be much more incremental.

3) Visual & mechanical damage - in Forza damage is not completely "realistic", but you can see it & it does effect performance to the extent that any serious damage will ruin your chances of racing competitively. Combined with the necessity to pay for repairs, I think this is the best solution: forget about making damage "realistic" - it's probably not going to be possible from a licensing point of view, or a technical point of view. Just accept the limitations & provide something that works within the gameplay environment (that's basically what Forza has done), because it's clearly better than continuing with absolutely NO damage...

I was just wondering if anyone had any comments about the original topic of the thread? Apologies, but it seems to have gone off on a 'Should there be crash damage' tangent.

I was just wondering if anyone had any comments about the original topic of the thread? Apologies, but it seems to have gone off on a 'Should there be crash damage' tangent.

I know you were talking about offline in the original post, but online with other racers - I'd like to say that it would create some better racing.. But I doubt it.

In an ideal world not everyone would have the attitude of "must win at all costs" and would enjoy battles throughout the pack but I don't think it will. What I suspect will happen is those who have the "must win" attitude will find a way to exploit the damage model so that they cause minimal damage to themselves whilst taking you out. Obviously the removal of the RBE has helped a bit, but it will be annoying being taken out on the first corner by someone trying to win it there and then.

For 'The Real Driving Simulator', 'real' racing should be fundamental by default. This means improved AI and realistic race goals if the game is to live up to its title. There are stats for the likes of the Monaco GP and Hungarian GP which say that the winner tends to start from the first couple of rows, and thats after 200 miles of racing. Asking us to pass 15 cars in 5 laps is unrealistic, unless either the AI is rubbish or your car is vastly superior. This is not realistic, its boring and frustrating. Real racing should be fun an challenging, and with a real chance of victory.

Crash damage in the current setup would make the game even more frustrating, and quite impossible to play, hence its introduction to the game will require a game model overhaul.

Im not debating if it should or should not, or can or cannot be in the final game, im merely asking if you all agree that a new racing model is firstly essential, but also essential if a damage model is introduced

For 'The Real Driving Simulator', 'real' racing should be fundamental by default. This means improved AI and realistic race goals if the game is to live up to its title. There are stats for the likes of the Monaco GP and Hungarian GP which say that the winner tends to start from the first couple of rows, and thats after 200 miles of racing. Asking us to pass 15 cars in 5 laps is unrealistic, unless either the AI is rubbish or your car is vastly superior. This is not realistic, its boring and frustrating. Real racing should be fun an challenging, and with a real chance of victory.

Crash damage in the current setup would make the game even more frustrating, and quite impossible to play, hence its introduction to the game will require a game model overhaul.

Im not debating if it should or should not, or can or cannot be in the final game, im merely asking if you all agree that a new racing model is firstly essential, but also essential if a damage model is introduced

I agree! The traditional offline "mission" races in the GT series are absurdly unrealistic, boring & unnecessary. Racing past 15 other cars in 3 laps is inevitably going to lead to collisions because you are by definition going to be going way faster than the AI cars - the only way to succeed is through endless repetition in order to get the race "strategy" just right. :yuck: Introducing damage to the equation will just make things worse.

Both FC & F1CE have far superior offline modes to GT5P, in which the AI offer a challenging & competitive race. Hopefully GT5 will adopt a similar style of offline gameplay.

I think that the computer AI is very poor. For example, I was racing the computer at Fuji, was side by side with a computer GT-R and was going down the inside, leaving loads of room, and bang, he drove into the side of me. Second lap, braked a little early, bang, the M3 behind drove up my tailpipes. Its not even funny, because it destroys the gaming experience imo.

As for damage, well I think its needed, and agree that Forza seem to have it done right, although a little more detail in the bodywork damage is needed imo.

Very true. It won't feel like GT games anymore if it does comes out. I really hope for just very detail Internal damage rather BODY.

Online, if option would be set to DAMAGE, it will be tough unless there is no lag and you race with professional player and or friends.

For SinglePlay... I will always turn it on... It will be very very frustrating at first, but heck more fun at the same time. To really race clean, not to hit any AI cars, and just have something accomplished if you win a race unharmed and don't have to waste money on repairs ;)

Yes it will change. If GT5 does have internal damage ( I don't care for external) GT5 will not feel like any other GT game. But it will be going in right direction.

Frustrating at first, rewarding later!

I really would like to see if you go 130 MPH over a bump, your suspension will be destroyed. I would love to see BLOW OUT tires, dead engines if you smash into a wall head on. Over rev the engine, means bye bye engine lol. Transmission problems, steering problems. BRAKE FADE!!! as well other aspects. GT5 would need an ICON to the left of the screen to tell what is wrong with the car, as well you will have to feel what is wrong.

If you crash a car, Lets say you destroy engine block, you either FIX it with new engine.. or buy new car. And please make a GARAGE ICON for fixing a car. I hate when you fix car after end of race and still have money left over from winnings. So make repairs EXPENSIVE just like in real life. Nothing comes cheap, nothing comes easy!

So PD, for me, I do not care for BODY damage. So if I hit wall, I want internal damage rather then physical on the HOOD and bumpers. That means LESS work for BODY damage, and it will be possible! Just include internal damage system that you can really kill the car and end race. (as well body kits and livery editor) :D

Last edited:

Very true. It won't feel like GT games anymore if it does comes out. I really hope for just very detail Internal damage rather BODY.

Online, if option would be set to DAMAGE, it will be tough unless there is no lag and you race with professional player and or friends.

For SinglePlay... I will always turn it on... It will be very very frustrating at first, but heck more fun at the same time. To really race clean, not to hit any AI cars, and just have something accomplished if you win a race unharmed and don't have to waste money on repairs ;)

Yes it will change. If GT5 does have internal damage ( I don't care for external) GT5 will not feel like any other GT game. But it will be going in right direction.

I really would like to see if you go 130 MPH over a bump, your suspension will be destroyed. I would love to see BLOW OUT tires, dead engines if you smash into a wall head on. Over rev the engine, means bye bye engine lol. Transmission problems, steering problems. BRAKE FADE!!! as well other aspects. GT5 would need an ICON to the left of the screen to tell what is wrong with the car, as well you will have to feel what is wrong.

If you crash a car, Lets say you destroy engine block, you either FIX it with new engine.. or buy new car. And please make a GARAGE ICON for fixing a car. I hate when you fix car after end of race and still have money left over from winnings. So make repairs EXPENSIVE just like in real life. Nothing comes cheap, nothing comes easy!

So PD, for me, I do not care for BODY damage. So if I hit wall, I want internal damage rather then physical on the HOOD and bumpers. That means LESS work for BODY damage, and it will be possible! Just include internal damage system that you can really kill the car and end race. (as well body kits and livery editor) :D

👍 +1

+ 1 But.........No matter what there is no excuse for exterior body damage.....This is a next gen console we are on......

Back