Crash's Cars

• Thread starter Crash
  • 151 comments
The 4Runner needed an alternator rebuilt a few weeks back. After 225k miles, the brushes were worn to a nub and no longer making contact. It started with the battery light intermittently coming on, and would turn off with a whack of the alternator. It started coming on more and more frequently until it stayed permanently on.

Got the brushes for less than $20, and with 1 hour of work, the alternator is out of the car, brushes replaced, cleaned up, and installed back in the car. Thankfully the alternator is mounted up front and wide open; at this point, I can have an alternator swapped in the 4Runner in 15-20 minutes. So simple that even I can do it.

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

As well, the rear differential breather was extended to vent up near the gas cap area instead of at the top of the diff. This will provide a piece of mind as that the diff will not be ingesting water as I wade in deeper waters in future off road trips.

--

It's been a good year with the 4Runner with a couple of off road trips. Looking forward to doing more next year.

IMG_0419_ECP.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back