Create Custom Driver Avatars skin color options, Or A variety of Drivers to choose from in GT 7

United States
United States
Don't double post - use the Edit button
GT7 needs to have more than one ethnicity of Driver Avatars,

download.jpg
Narain Karthikeyan.jpg

_gta_article.Par.81736.Image.imgProcessing.jpeg

rpm_g_wallacejr01jr_400.jpg Kamui_Kobayashi_wallpaper.jpg Bill Lester.jpg GT 6 has options to choose a variety of Race Suits and Helmets, we can customize wheel color, car color, Tire Size, I don't understand why a program that allows player to choose the Nationality or The Color of their driver Avatars physical attributes can't be added to GT 7, GT has players all over the world, and they are all represented by one Blue eyed European avartar driver, when that does not reflect the world. Kaz, It's time for GT to move to next Gen with this option added.

Tia20Norfleet20Cover20issue2011.jpg danica-patrick-ftr.jpg And also gender diversity in GT7 because their are also women racers.

Last edited:
Good idea. Not sure how this can be done, though, since every avatar wears a helmet and a racing suit.....maybe with names? Hmmm.....:(

Does GT6 even have a specific driver ethnicity as is? I know GT5 had white guys that you could only discern with certain racing suits, but I don't remember how GT6 works for customization

Most driver suits/helmets show right next to no skin if any at all. Driver suits also do not lend themselves to identifying gender, so I am not sure of the point of selecting an ethnicity/gender unless you're going to undress your avatar or take their helmet off for a closeup - neither of which we can currently do (or need to do).

You can set your name, which can indicate ethnicity/nationality, and you even get the little flag next to your name like AI drivers do offline IIRC. I guess we could be allowed to set that for some further customization.

I couldn't care less. How is it going to affect gameplay? How is it going to affect ME?
PD should focus on other things first, if they ever want to get around to this at all.

Racism probably doesn't affect you either but that's not the point, not everything has to be/is supposed to be about you. Given the little effort it would take, and the (increasing) diversity of GT players this makes a lot of sense.

With Lewis Hamilton doing as well as he is and their own graduate Jann Mardenborough working his way up the ranks it's clear that motorsport is becoming more diverse, so it seems strange that all of the driver avatars are white men with no options for anything else.

Last edited:
Racism probably doesn't affect you either but that's not the point, not everything has to be/is supposed to be about you. Given the little effort it would take, and the (increasing) diversity of GT players this makes a lot of sense.

With Lewis Hamilton doing as well as he is and their own graduate Jann Mardenborough working his way up the ranks it's clear that motorsport is becoming more diverse, so it seems strange that all of the driver avatars are white men with no options for anything else.
Racism has nothing to do with it. To cry racism usually has to involve an overt act or in this case an overt omission. "We're Japanese and we're racist, so we're going to make all the faces white", doesn't quite fit the racism narrative does it?. The fact that it isn't a Japanese face probably means the opposite in fact, they just don't see it as an issue. It was likely decided many years ago to make one generic white face that covered the majority of gamers and no one has given it a second thought since then.

Racism has nothing to do with it. To cry racism usually has to involve an overt act or in this case an overt omission. "We're Japanese and we're racist, so we're going to make all the faces white", doesn't quite fit the racism narrative does it?. The fact that it isn't a Japanese face probably means the opposite in fact, they just don't see it as an issue. It was likely decided many years ago to make one generic white face that covered the majority of gamers and no one has given it a second thought since then.

If you re-read what I wrote you'll see that I didn't cry racism, and to be honest I'm surprised by the fact that you think I would. I merely gave an example of something that's important and relevant but doesn't directly affect him.

And why does it always have to be a generic white male face? For what reason? As you say, that status quo was decided 'many years ago', and with the gaming community and target market becoming increasingly diverse it's time we rethought that.

Last edited:
If you re-read what I wrote you'll see that I didn't cry racism, and to be honest I'm surprised by the fact that you think I would. I merely gave an example of something that's important and relevant but doesn't directly affect him.

And why does it always have to be a generic white male face? For what reason? As you say, that status quo was decided 'many years ago', and with the gaming community and target market becoming increasingly diverse it's time we rethought that.
If you decide to go into politics I'll cast my vote your way. 👍

Anyways PDI probably figured that majority of GT gamers are young white male stereotypes. This doesn't excuse them, of course, but I still can't see how this is going to be implemented unless we can remove helmets of avatars.
The whole point of GT avatars, at least to me, is to be Anonymous. No clear gender distinction. No clear age group. No clear race-bias. Not even a hint of personality. A complete blank slate, in other words. So it can be easier for us to superimpose our own selves to this....um "creature".

If you decide to go into politics I'll cast my vote your way. 👍

Anyways PDI probably figured that majority of GT gamers are young white male stereotypes. This doesn't excuse them, of course, but I still can't see how this is going to be implemented unless we can remove helmets of avatars.
The whole point of GT avatars, at least to me, is to be Anonymous. No clear gender distinction. No clear age group. No clear race-bias. Not even a hint of personality. A complete blank slate, in other words. So it can be easier for us to superimpose our own selves to this....um "creature".

Thanks, but I definitely don't want to be a politician :lol:

In terms of how they can implement it, they already have an open-face helmet (the GT Academy overalls) where the face is partially visible so the option to change ethnicity would be visible there, and they can add a wider variety of helmet designs in future. Allowing us to choose the skin tone of what parts of the face we can see with the current crop of helmets would be enough for me however.

Thanks, but I definitely don't want to be a politician :lol:

In terms of how they can implement it, they already have an open-face helmet (the GT Academy overalls) where the face is partially visible so the option to change ethnicity would be visible there, and they can add a wider variety of helmet designs in future. Allowing us to choose the skin tone of what parts of the face we can see with the current crop of helmets would be enough for me however.
Man I missed out on this GT Academy thing...it looks like there are ton of juicy stuff given away for free. I definitely don't have this GT Academy suit, for one.

Man I missed out on this GT Academy thing...it looks like there are ton of juicy stuff given away for free. I definitely don't have this GT Academy suit, for one.

Unlucky! Sit tight though, another opportunity to get it will probably come round.

Guys.

PD has better things to do. Seriously.
What do you want, a course maker or a retextured face you can damn near never see anyway?
Names and things don't matter much either-- it doesn't affect the fun aspect of gameplay at all.

A start would be to choose a GT Academy driver. Im sure there was time to capture Ordonez and Jann's face. No matter the physique. They captured the face of the Subaru & Citroen WRC drivers.

GT7 needs to have more than one ethnicity of drivers,

View attachment 252781

View attachment 252784

View attachment 252798

With Kaz being Asian, I don't understand why he doesn't add a program that allows player to choose the Nationality of their drivers physical attributes, they are all European, when that does not reflect the world.

View attachment 252800

And also gender diversity in GT7 because their are also women racers.

I'm sorry, but what difference will this make? As far as I can tell (apart from the real life modeled race drivers), All I see is a helmet and suit so what exactly is the big deal here? Its a silly idea if you ask me and this is coming from a black racing fan. Are the flags not enough for you?

Also, "Nationality of Driver Attributes?" That just seems like its asking for trouble.

And finally, that's a terrible example of a Woman Driver you have posted (read here to see why).

Edit: I seem to notice that you are only showing Black drivers yet you want diversity.

Last edited:
So then why have National Flags? Why associate with a country when its just a game? Why have GT ACADEMY(insert country or continent)? Why choose to have a face exposed at all? It is a good idea to at least place the faces of the past and current GTA winners. They DO reflect racersbaroind the world.

Females should also be reflected in GT as well. It could just be by form. No face until a female GTA winner.

The thread has opened the floor for good discussion. If there is only the one Generic driver and its skin is not as Brown as mine, I'm fine. Its about variety and choices.

I just don't understand this. We never see the face or skin color of the actual generic driver we use so why is it such a big deal that it isn't Ethnically diverse when its neutral to begin with? Is there a serious need for this? This just feels like a problem that never existed in the first place.

The fact that it isn't a Japanese face probably means... they just don't see it as an issue.

Reminds me of an issue that came out near a decade ago, where a Japanese consumer was shocked when his Japanese-made digital camera, with its automatic eyeblink-detection feature (a shutter mode that takes pictures after you blink, so you don't have pics with your eyes closed), wouldn't take his picture. At all.

Turns out the Japanese company that makes the camera programmed it with a facial detection algorithm that only works on Caucasians.

-

Fancy that. :D

-

Seems like a pretty easy palette swap, or, at worst, maybe a few weeks' work for some of the modellers, capturing and scanning generic faces. Won't even take up as much HDD space as a single car, to do several different ethnicities.

I don't see a problem. I see extra content.

I personally don't feel mimisrepresented. I don't feel left out. This doesn't feel like it's a racially motivated thread about inequality. Maybe because I'm looking at it as a human being that thinks it's a good idea to broaden the spectrum of the faces of GT Avatars.

Back