Creation of new classes / Different cars for existing classes

• Thread starter Lukanyon
  • 28 comments
Brazil
São Paulo
Corredor_Y
With the creation of the Gr.2 for Super GT cars, what classes do you guys think we could see in the future of GT Sport? I was wondering if some of these could arrive in an eventual update:
  • Gr.5 for touring cars (WTCC, BTCC)
  • Gr.F for open-wheel cars. There could be subdivisions as well: Gr.F1, Gr.F2…
  • Gr.A for Pikes Peak Time Attack cars, and Gr.C for entry-level rally cars.
Also, what Motorsport classes could be added for existing classes? For example, I think that DTM and LMP2 would fit well in Gr.2.

I think Gr. A will be used for 90s/2000s WRC cars.
Could be, if PD were using real-world names for the classes. But they're not doing that. For example, IIRC Group 2 and Group 4 were subdivisions of Group B in the early 1980s.

I'd love to see NASCAR cup series cars come into the game.

Touring cars, and FiA European truck racing would also be pretty cool tbh.
What classes would they be put in? Would they need to create new classes for them?

Could be, if PD were using real-world names for the classes. But they're not doing that. For example, IIRC Group 2 and Group 4 were subdivisions of Group B in the early 1980s.

What classes would they be put in? Would they need to create new classes for them?
Group 4 was replaced by Group B in 1983, Group 2 was replaced by Group A one year before (1982).

By the way, my guess (introduction of a Gr. A class) is based on what user "Double H" found in the GT website's code:

"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR1":"Gr.1"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR2":"GR.2"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR3":"Gr.3"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR4":"Gr.4"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRA":"GR.A"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRB":"Gr.B"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRN":"GR.N"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRX":"Gr.X"

Original post (Jan. 25)

I think it will be used for rally cars, but what kind of cars remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Group 4 was replaced by Group B in 1983, Group 2 was replaced by Group A one year before (1982).

By the way, my guess (introduction of a Gr. A class) is based on what user "Double H" found in the GT website's code:

"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR1":"Gr.1"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR2":"GR.2"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR3":"Gr.3"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GR4":"Gr.4"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRA":"GR.A"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRB":"Gr.B"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRN":"GR.N"
"gt7sp.game.COMMON.CarClassName.Label_GRX":"Gr.X"

Original post (Jan. 25)

I think it will be used for rally cars, but what kind of cars remains to be seen.
That is very interesting! But I think it's unlikely that PD will add the original Group A cars to the game. With them being the sponsors of PPIHC (and the possible inclusion of Pikes Peak), my guess is that Gr.A will be something related to that.

I don't know if PD will implement other classes in the future, (It will depend if some other racing cars are added, lets hope XD ) but I can think of some other categories:

Modern Classes:

Gr.2: DTM (Class 1) and others Silhouette Cars (Ex: Alfa Giulia Gr.2) like the fantasy created cars that PD knows how to do XD;
Gr.5: TCR/BTCC Like cars. Modern Touring Cars with caped performance, but with close battles.

Classic/Historic Classes:

GR.H(1-n): Historic Touring Cars and GTs grouped within the same eras and/or performances. Of course those classes will require a lot of race spec vehicles added, since there is a bunch of relevant eras that can be remembered (SuperTouring, DRM, Group A Touring, Trans-Am, Le Mans etc). Ex:
Gr.H1: Mark IV, XJ13 and 330P4;
Gr.H2: TS-020, CLK GTR and BMW V12 LMR;
Gr.H6: Porsche 911 1968, Alfa GTA;

Although this wishlist (again!! XD) is "doable", It depends If PD considers relevant to the product and decides to spend resources adding some older cars rather than some modern products (Gr 2 and 5 would be more relevant to them, IMHO). EDIT: and of course, they would consider the effects of adding more classes to the Sport Mode.

That is very interesting! But I think it's unlikely that PD will add the original Group A cars to the game. With them being the sponsors of PPIHC (and the possible inclusion of Pikes Peak), my guess is that Gr.A will be something related to that.
Now that I think about it, your guess makes more sense than mine. Gr. A is sitting above Gr. B, so it could include faster/more powerful cars.

I think a Gr.5, could be similar to Super Taikyu ST-5. Adding the .missing MX-5 Cup car and cars like the Spoon Fit, Spoon S2000, Opera S2000 and Lexus IS200 GT-1. Cars that aren't as quick as Gr.4, but race spec between N200/N300.
Nice idea. I was thinking about the introduction of a few cup cars (Clio, Abarth 500 Assetto Corse, MX-5 etc.), but I wasn't sure about their place in the game. A Gr. 5 class could serve that purpose very well.

Wouldnt touring cars just be grouped in gr.4. Share similar traits with cars from that group. Audi tt cup was in tcr before, wrx is in tcr.

Wouldnt touring cars just be grouped in gr.4. Share similar traits with cars from that group. Audi tt cup was in tcr before, wrx is in tcr.
I thought they would be slower than Gr.4, but now that you said that I think they could be grouped together.

Gr.X is confusing me. The Ferrari 330 and Jag are in there, but the Ford GT sits in N400. If the Ford Mk IV arrives, where does that get classed?

I agree. TCR are as quick as GT4. So, I can see those in Gr.4. The Evo, WRX and Atenza, are similar to Super Taikyu spec ST-3. PD grouped them in Gr.4.
Where it gets tricky, are cars like the Group A 190E DTM and 320i WTCC. If PD were to add them, do they get Gr.X status or a new class?

I agree. TCR are as quick as GT4. So, I can see those in Gr.4. The Evo, WRX and Atenza, are similar to Super Taikyu spec ST-3. PD grouped them in Gr.4.
Where it gets tricky, are cars like the Group A 190E DTM and 320i WTCC. If PD were to add them, do they get Gr.X status or a new class?

Fair enough, I didn't check lap times between TCR and GT4, and they are quite similar XD.
About the Group X, There are only 2 ways that I see PD working: They will not create any other Class to accommodate other cars, and then the 330P4, XJ13 and others will stay like it is now, or they are waiting until a considerable number of related cars are added to the game to group them together. But like I said, It all depends on how friendly to the Sport Mode system these additions would be.

Fair enough, I didn't check lap times between TCR and GT4, and they are quite similar XD.
About the Group X, There are only 2 ways that I see PD working: They will not create any other Class to accommodate other cars, and then the 330P4, XJ13 and others will stay like it is now, or they are waiting until a considerable number of related cars are added to the game to group them together. But like I said, It all depends on how friendly to the Sport Mode system these additions would be.
I don't think its impossible to square off the Vision GT cars into their own side-classes, but they will have to be BOP'd and the tuning options would have to open up.

At the very least, I hope we get lobby options that allow us to set up similar restrictions to the GT League events, like cars from certain nations combined with an N-series, or a specific list of cars like in Boxer Spirit, etc. I think it'd be especially good if you wanted to see something like a race that only uses the XJ13 and the 330 P4 (and the other GT40 seen in GT5/6 if it returns).

That aside, I think we can assume that there will be no adherence to actual racing series with similar names. So I don't think Gr.A will be rally cars, since a wide variety is already in Gr.B, with both seemingly modern cars and the Pikes Peak-spec Audi Quattro. I'm not even sure if Gr.A (or a hypothetical Gr.C) will be rally cars at all. Personally, I wouldn't mind one of those groups being for a group of older race cars, like if the actual Group C race cars returned (e.g. Mazda 787B, Jaguar XJR-9) and were put into Gr.A.

I also hope GT300-spec Super GT cars come in and get added to Gr.3, since real-world GT300 races use a lot of slightly-modified GT3 cars. It could be good for some automakers that lack a real-world model that's in Gr.3, like Toyota (could use the Prius GT300, which PD did scan!), and Subaru (BR-Z or Legacy?). Heck, even having two real-world cars from the same automaker in the same class wouldn't be unprecedented, either, as we can see with Audi and Toyota in Gr.1.

Group B was only ever it's own class. At the time you also had Group A, Group N and Group C.

More or less broken down to:

Group B, "specials" although the FIA classed them as modified sports cars, had to have 200 models or kits made for them i.e Ford RS200.
Group A: modified road cars with a minimum production number (5000 iirc) but with fairly extensive modifications allowed but you could also produce a limited number of evolutions to allow some extra modification, i.e. Ford had the Sierra Cosworth then the Sierra RS500 Cosworth to allow the front lip on the bumper, the lower bootlid spoiler, bigger turbo and intercooler etc.
Group N: "production" road cars. Cars that are pretty close to standard but with limited mods allowed and whatever the manufacturers could creatively add to the homologation papers like different gear and diff ratios etc. that got used on post office vans in Norway and such like in the case of the Nova. Or the Nova Sport which was sold with a set of Weber Carburettors in the boot so they could be used on the "standard" rally cars.
Group C: For want of a better way of describing it, Le Mans cars., stuff like the 787, Jag XJR9 etc.

There is a bit more nuance to the groups than that but that's more or less how they got applied and used.

The numbered groups proceeded that.

McKlein sell excellent books on each of Group 4, Group 2 and Group B, they are expensive but worth every penny if you want to unleash your inner anorak, They also have some of the best photos of these cars you are ever likely to see.

Classes wise, I'd love to see something along the lines of the following:

Group A Touring - 1983 to 1993.

Basically everything from the Rover SD1s, Jag XJs and 635 CSi through to the Evo M3s and Godzilla.

DTM / ITC - 1993 to 1996

The Calibra, Alfa and Merc V6s.

Then stuff like the old Groups 1 to 5 broken down into year ranges and some old tracks to go with it.

I'd love to be able to do stuff like run Minis and Cortinas against Falcons like they did in period. Cars with vastly different characteristics which do well in certain areas but struggle in others.

I know I'll never see it to the extent I would like unless I had enough money to commission my own game but one can but dream.

Basically I want this

Back