Custom races for fun

• Thread starter Dess81
  • 18 comments
Russian Federation
Russian Federation
Some people recomended me to try custom races. I played custom races in GT Sport and it wasn't very interesting.
I should say that custom races in GT7 are really cool. The main problem in GT Sport was slow AI. It was too easy to win.
I need about 5-6 laps to get the 1 place after 35 sec behind at the race start in GT Sport. And custom race let you to make 15-17 sec lag from 1st place to 20th place. That's why I took the first place for 3-4 laps. AI was boring in Sport.
I tested for a day custom races in GT7 and I must to say that it's pretty fun now, cos AI much more faster. It takes about 8 laps to get the first place, and AI fights til the end. I tried Dragon Trail, Lake Maggiore on GT1. It was really cool.
I refresh my memories and launched GT Sport GT1 Event on Lake Maggiore (8 laps). I have got the 1st place on the 4th lap without any fight using the same McLaren VGT Gt1 car, like I did in custom race in GT7. I must say that custom races muh more fun then GT1 and GT2 events in GT Sport.
So I'm tired to wait when KAZ will and new events for GT1, GT2, GT4. I'll copy conditions from GT Sport in Custom races and try to win all of it. It's fun. I'm tired of racing the same events in GT7.
Custom races are not bad at all.

I mostly do Custom Races with a full field of GR1 Cars , usually LeMans , Spa and the Green Hell . I have almost every GR1 Car avaiable and mutliple versions in various liveries , so have a full field of 20 cars with the Ai set to thier hardest difficulty . It's always a close race . Example today I won the LeMans Race buy just over 2 seconds , 3 other cars crossed the line nose to tail behind me and it was a really good race . So yup I enjoy this a lot .

It's a massive improvement from GTS! Cars that could only race with the same make and model before (e.g. the McLaren P1) can now race with others of a similar class. It's brilliant!

Yeah I do maybe 30-40 custom races a week, but it varys depending on how much time I have, see I am busy 7 days a week. I still have loads of free time to myself. The bigger circuits gives you the most credits in the race.

do you find you have to re-choose the cars for each race ? i.e. you cant save the race format/cars running ? part from hitting the "retry" button - i find i have to re-pick all the cars again for a different track each time - id like to be able to chose say 10 cars & pick maybe 6 tracks & choose the points for positions in a make-my-own tournament way ? am i missing something ?

You can choose any type of car and it's category, so you'll get more credits the higher you set the power level. Gr. 1 is high whereas N100 is the lowest.

do you find you have to re-choose the cars for each race ? i.e. you cant save the race format/cars running ? part from hitting the "retry" button - i find i have to re-pick all the cars again for a different track each time - id like to be able to chose say 10 cars & pick maybe 6 tracks & choose the points for positions in a make-my-own tournament way ? am i missing something ?
No, you're not missing anything. It's frustrating having to pick the cars again. Especially, if you spend the time to name the drivers too.

d like to be able to chose say 10 cars & pick maybe 6 tracks & choose the points for positions in a make-my-own tournament way
I think this a must have for Custom races. Beung able to save the format. Liek having a grid of just hatchbacks and being able to save the grid, race settings and track. Then being able to copy and paste, those settings on different tracks and saving those as well. Then have an option to group those saves into a championship.

The way Assetto Corsa have it, is perfect:

• select championship
  • name championship
  • select courses, number of laps, weather/time of day, select points & point paying finish positions
  • select cars, change AI name and assign to car
  • select practice, qualifying, race and allot time to each session; skip/delete session

I have A Track Day race car and road car set ups, DTM, GT3, Porsche manufacturer Rennsport meeting. Pretty much unlimited possibilities for set ups. GT7 is nearly there. A save option would be a start.

I just finished an interesting custom race on Watkins Glen in "Ford vs Ferrari" style.
Ford GT40 Mark against XK13 '66, Ford Mark 1 AND 17 Ferrari 330 P4. I was on Ferrari 330P4 (position 20/20), HR tires. It was not very hard to get the first position, but it was very hard not to loose it. I was the first on the 6th lap, but I lost it 5-6 times, the top 10 cars were in 3-4 seconds and it was crezy battle. I return the first position on the last lap and won less then 0,5 sec.

I grinded so long to get '52 Mercedes and to start my own fictional 1952 championsip. I cried when I realize how much was missing from Custom Races. All AI use same tires (Mercedes with CM and Abarth CH, I was with SH), I'm not able to add BoP for AI (I would like to add ballast to some drivers), lots of countries missing from the list etc. That AC way sounds so cool, but GT7 really dropped the ball here. I would never stop playing the game if they upgrade the Custom Race or add crate-your-own Championship mode. FIrst time ever video game made me cry.

I grinded so long to get '52 Mercedes and to start my own fictional 1952 championsip. I cried when I realize how much was missing from Custom Races. All AI use same tires (Mercedes with CM and Abarth CH, I was with SH), I'm not able to add BoP for AI (I would like to add ballast to some drivers), lots of countries missing from the list etc. That AC way sounds so cool, but GT7 really dropped the ball here. I would never stop playing the game if they upgrade the Custom Race or add crate-your-own Championship mode. FIrst time ever video game made me cry.
The AI is using their default tires or they use RH if you equip them with it and you can tune each car you choose as opponent out of your garage individually(which is much better and more accurate than using a preset BoP...)

The custom races are not perfect, but still are the best thing you can do in GT7...and it yields the best AI performance if you take your time for the set ups...

I like to sort my garage by PP then make a grid out of that section of my cars with lowest PP in 1st and me in last. It's fun racing against various cars I have made for previous races. The only bummer was in a long race at Nurburgring with pit stops and weather I was fighting for 1st on the last lap and 1st place put his blinker on and let me pass before the big straightaway.....

Back