Custom Races - What do you like to do? (Or, fun ways to grind but not grind)

• Thread starter Fosterions
  • 19 comments
Canada
Canada
Looking for some new Non-Sport ways to have some fun and pick up some points. I don't grind. If it ain't fun the credits/trophies ain't worth my time. My version of grinding is track practice, but I can do that while picking up some points with Custom Races. Here are a couple of the things I've been doing lately.

I replicate the Sport race du jour/week starting from the back to see how I do against Pro AI. If I do well I'll give the actual Sport race a shot. If not then no shot. If I'm not beating the AI I'm gonna get slaughtered in Sport. A race I created recently that I've gone back to a few times because it was so fun is Brands Hatch with the N500 Porsche 911 GT3. I do 15 laps, tire wear 5x, fuel 5x, penalties on etc. and I race against N800 starting from the back. I take my time and cut through the field by lap 6-7 cleanly and it's a fun easy win with relatively decent reward that covers the daily workout and doesn't take too long. I may try N900 tonight. Remember, we're not grinding for reward here, just playing fun custom races with it's crappy payouts. That said, over 1000 Exp, some track practice and it's fun for me.

What about you? What have been the Custom Races you've created that you enjoy?

post.SCRIPT - I searched for a similar thread, but the terms "custom races" creates a lotta results so if this has been tread before please link.

I recently put myself on pole in the 650S GT3 to defend the lead for one lap of Maggiore against Gr.1 cars. The pay was about 8-9k but it was fun and challenging. So was the Gr.4 vs. Gr.2 version. Both cars were tuned to the max for power and weight, all other settings stock, RH tires, AI set to pro.

This was the result.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20190215134540.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20190215190352.jpg

Gr.2 is the closest custom race I've found. You could conceivably start on pole and not win, which is saying something given what literally every other offline race in the game is like.

Still new to GTS, less than two months in, have not tried creating a custom race yet, but this is a very appealing alternate as grinding for one level a day is a little tedious...

I will usually put in four BMB races, then Tokyo street for two races, then go drive tracks I like, Nürburgring Nordschleife , Suzuka, Catalunya, Circuit de la Sarthe, just learning Mount Panorama and Willow Springs.

Also started to enter in the weekly time trial events to see where I am compared to others.

Gr.2 is the closest custom race I've found. You could conceivably start on pole and not win, which is saying something given what literally every other offline race in the game is like.

Why not do the Professionals League Campaign races in Group 2? The payout is much larger.

Still new to GTS, less than two months in, have not tried creating a custom race yet, but this is a very appealing alternate as grinding for one level a day is a little tedious...

I will usually put in four BMB races, then Tokyo street for two races, then go drive tracks I like, Nürburgring Nordschleife , Suzuka, Catalunya, Circuit de la Sarthe, just learning Mount Panorama and Willow Springs.

Also started to enter in the weekly time trial events to see where I am compared to others.

Grinding is tedious! I’ve had the game for almost 15 months and have 15 Blue Moon Bay wins. If we count one as trying to just go through the campaign the other 14 are grinders. Some of those were trying to get a clean race as an achievement. Otherwise I don’t really get the point of grinding that track or any other race that’s monotonous or not fun. Yeah yeah yeah, credits experience to buy cars get trophies. But if you’re not enjoying the process what’s the achievement? Is there any sense of satisfaction when you get to level 50 with some rubber bands? Here! Look it me! I got a meaningless thing doing something boring and tedious that I don’t really like!

I like the game, I like playing it. And in doing so, other than the small amount of grinding at BMB listed above I’ve collected over 200 unique cars(forget how many), bought a $20 million Ferrari and I’m almost at at level 46. Not a massive achievement and not in as few days as others, but I got here without rubber bands or wasting my life at Blue Moon Bay.

You never stated whether you have the boost off or keep it on. I have found that the boost affects the AI even more than the Beginner, Intermediate and Professional settings.

As mentioned Custom Race is great for Daily/FIA practice. The best way to experiment with gas and tires. And also for one make races. ie win/buy a new car. A one-make race on a track you like is a fun way to test it.

For quick Daily miles I recommend Arcade Mode too. There's 3 levels for each track. Two races is usually enough for the Daily Reward. Easy, don't need to think much to race.

For max points remember Clean Race Bonus is +50%. 2 Clean Race Bonuses = 100%. :D

I used to do N200/300 vs N1000 rally. Its easy with a 4wd car and you earn $250k per 42km.

I now do N500 vs Gr.4 which is about half the rate ($128k) but its more interesting.

Otherwise its something to do between updates.

Grinding is tedious! I’ve had the game for almost 15 months and have 15 Blue Moon Bay wins. If we count one as trying to just go through the campaign the other 14 are grinders. Some of those were trying to get a clean race as an achievement. Otherwise I don’t really get the point of grinding that track or any other race that’s monotonous or not fun. Yeah yeah yeah, credits experience to buy cars get trophies. But if you’re not enjoying the process what’s the achievement? Is there any sense of satisfaction when you get to level 50 with some rubber bands? Here! Look it me! I got a meaningless thing doing something boring and tedious that I don’t really like!

I like the game, I like playing it. And in doing so, other than the small amount of grinding at BMB listed above I’ve collected over 200 unique cars(forget how many), bought a $20 million Ferrari and I’m almost at at level 46. Not a massive achievement and not in as few days as others, but I got here without rubber bands or wasting my life at Blue Moon Bay.

I have to chime in here because so many people act like the BMB race is the only way to earn money or only use BMB as an example.

Every race in the Premium Sport lounge pays out the same amount for winning with the clean race bonus. BMB maybe the quickest on time and the easiest to get the CRB but its definitely not the only race to earn money if your looking for more of a challenge.
So if grinding is not your thing try doing the other races in this group.

I'm lvl 50 and I have all the high credit cars except one and I've probably done only 10 races at BMB. Almost all of my credits come from running other races in the Premium Sport Lounge in a N-400 or N-300 even N-200 cars. It's a challenge, it's not grinding and the credits build up fast.

Why not do the Professionals League Campaign races in Group 2? The payout is much larger.
Nowhere near as much of a challenge. I'm pretty sure more than half the grid is Gr. 3, and, uh, you said in your OP you wanted a challenge, and weren't focused on payout.

Nowhere near as much of a challenge. I'm pretty sure more than half the grid is Gr. 3, and, uh, you said in your OP you wanted a challenge, and weren't focused on payout.

So the AI is more difficult, as a fact, in the custom races than they are in the campaign races? I thought it seemed that way but wasn’t sure.

For the entertainment and challenge, I sometimes do endurance races. As realistic and difficult as possible. Gr3 or 4. Start 20/20. On Nordschleife or Mount Panorama. The not so intelligent AI tend to use the brakes through T8 on the mountain though, so watch out.
With full damage applied on those narrow tracks, it’s a bit of a challenge to get through to the win. Depending on how long the races are of course.

I also recently discovered Mount Panorama has a pretty dark evening time. I assumed it would be about as dark as some of the other evening settings - not very dark. Been doing some longer races there of the sort that would be in the Endurance series.

Players looking for a challenge, should try the Roadster TC BoP Enabled, TCS3, One Make, 4 laps at every track(yep, Route X and Nurb24). Standing start 20th position, Fuel/Tyre wear 1x, Damage full, no boost, slipstream real, Professional AI. Good luck.

EA8rtbXUEAA9EcA

I always love to do Gr.3 custom endurance championships when I have a lot of free time. With tracks like Nurburgring 24hour (anywhere from 30 to 50 laps), Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit (anywhere from 30 to 60 laps) and others as well; but I like to use the worst cars available and win because of pit strategy (which the AI kind of makes it easy to do, but it's fun to actually have battles because I'm on less grippy tires most of the time :D)

Also please don't tell me I'm the only one who likes to commentate their own races against the AI as if it were a real endurance race? Haha!

A few of my faves, not necessarily challenging drives but a good bit of fun -

Red Bull Jr @ Sardegna B. Easy race to win no matter how hard i try to make the AI but the combo is an absolute blast, feels really quick and there's some great spots for skechy twitch overtakes

Chapparal VGT/Hyundai VGT/Tomahawk at SSRX from the back. Put it on night time and try to slipstream your way from 20th to 1st. Can be a real challenge to keep position once you get in front - put on some good music and enjoy the lights and sparks.

Supra Legends, any race, but bring the A90 tuned for drift. You can win the race sideways, handbrake entries and all. Try to angle your slides to pass guys on the outside, it's hilarious.

Stratos. Anywhere with corners. Can't go wrong and you will quickly learn about aggressive weight transfer. Sling it past cars with 200 more HP than you by Scandi flicking thru chicanes.

About the GT League, when you get 1 million credits, Level 30 and a thousand Mileage Points, you should buy a Mazda LM55(be careful, the Gr1 not the VGT) and try the Group 1 race in Monza. It's very easy if you max the HP and weight. If you get it clean you get 330,000 Cr, and it's way easier than X2014 at Le Mans. I play GT Sport since November 2017, I'm an A S driver, and even I struggle to beat the X2014. If you want more grind races check this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/comprehensive-money-earning-guide.387680/

Here is a setup that will pay out 315 k.

25 laps at Dragon Trails gardens. Use the N500 Porsche*, but race it vs Gr4, start in 12th. Tire and Fuel wear around 4x, so you will have to stop at least once.

*Make sure you tune it to the 2018 specs at 510 HP (104%) and 3,223 lbs (103%) to have a decent shot at winning. I also dropped the Non-Synchronus Sequential Transmission" into it. But that's just me.

No boost, all penalties on, as well as full mechanical damage. Professional level, off track grip set to real Challenging, fun and you're rewarded with a good payout.

Back