Custom VisionRacer VR3. D-box motion, Dual TH8s, Triple projection.

• Thread starter Mayaman
  • 512 comments

Mayaman

Premium
Update!

Here is the mount with 3 26" screens.

VR3Triplehead.jpg

And here is the mount with three 46" projection screens. :D, custom G27 pedals with perfect pedal, Nixm clutch, and aluminum housings. Also my modded shifter holder with Fanatec mount. This will be further modded. I have a 7 inch aluminum shifter shaft to replace the stock one.

Project is coming along swimingly. :D

DSCF0426.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

DSCF0423.jpg

These are three 46" projection panels that will have Vicuiti 3M projection material. The Vicuiti material is amazing because you can project in direct sunlight with no brightness loss.

I'll have plenty more pictures over the next week. Finishing my projector mount, and a couple of other custom alterations. For those of you who complain about the center strut on the VR3, this rig now is the stiffest I've played in other than my hyperstimulator. I don't think there is a prettier rig, and now its one of the sturdiest, even if by mistake. LOL

Finished pics.

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0467.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0476.jpg

DSCF0439-1.jpg

DSCF0456.jpg

DSCF0474.jpg

Edit: Youtube video in action.

Guys wanted to update you. I finally took a video with the camera duct taped to my head. So forgive any crappyness. Also the Camera is far from HD. You will see banding and color shifting. This is not the case when you are playing. Its the fact that the camera can't capture the DLP projectors quickly enough and will show color shifting and banding. just wanted to clear that up in case it scares people from DLP projectors. They are magnificent, the picture an immersion is complete. :D

I duct tape the camera to a hat and used both my fisheye lens and a normal lens so as to give you two perspectives. I'll take more videos of Gran Turismo an PC with head tracking. Hopefully I will get a HD camera soon. Forgive the blurriness.

Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: Hello gentlemen, I have bought a D-box platform. I also added dual TH8 shifters with an interface one adaptor to allow them to work with the Fanatec CSR Elite. My D-box sub frame is being constructed and should be here in a few weeks. In the meantime I'm using a pine panel.

DSCF0540.jpg

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0541.jpg

I'm uploading this pic to give some of you an idea of how to make the VR3 steering column rock steady. Not the only way but one of the ways. This is from Dubai.

Dubai3.jpg

Little teaser of some new mods and things to come. Can't show the screen mount yet.

Custom TH8 handbrake with custom leather boot and aluminum handle.
Custom short shift plate for six speeds matching the Fanatec shifter.
Adapted the Fanatec shifter, which IMO is the best shifter knob I've held ever to the TH8. Matches great.

DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

My custom mount for my button box. Made by Marcus. Thanks Marcus!!! :)
This works beautifully, so comfortable and looks great.

DSCF0549.jpg

DSCF0548.jpg

DSCF0546.jpg

Made a custom mount for the Fanatec Sequential to match the knob on the TH8. Really solid using the X-CPO mount on the Fanatec aluminum bar for the table clamp. It worked out perfectly since the holes for the both the wheel and the clamp are identical. :D

DSCF0555.jpg

I have matching custom leather boots for all three, the handbrake, sequential and H pattern. You can see a couple of them in the pic. They haven't been attached final, they're just placed there for the pic, they will fit much better once I'm done putting the rig back together. The handbrake feels great, I used the brake spring from a set of G27 pedals in a push mode instead of pull and used the core of a rubber ball inside the sprint, it feels almost like a real handbrake as far as pressure.

The short shift plate for the TH8 is just fantastic and can be flipped so reverse is on the other side. It gives nice short snick snick shift, with lots of positive feedback. The Fanatec shifter knob is just fanstastic. You may not like the CSR body, but the shifter is the best one I've ever used, ever. And it looks fantastic with the TH8.

Hope you guys enjoy and I've got a couple other mods down the pipeline. Keep experimenting. :)

update 3/31/12

Hello VR3 owners looking to delete your center support.

Been experimenting with the center support delete. Tried many different things. When I had the triple screen attached to the rig I didn't have to worry about it, since the triple screen was so solid and attached to the rig, there was no need for the center support. But since moving ot Dbox and detaching the triple screens from the rig and attaching them to the floor, I've looked for another solution.

I've tried about 6 different solutions and have come up with one that I think is the best. Ridiculously solid and stays with the form of the rig. I crafted these from 1" steel pipe and used a manual hand bender to get the curves. When you do something like this measure, measure, and measure again. Then measure again and check your angles. I went through 5 pairs before I came up with a set that was perfect.

The attach to the bottom of the wheel deck, curve around your legs and attach again down on the chassis. No flex at all horizontally or vertically. this is my final design for this particular mod. For those who wish to replicate it, the pipe must be 31 inches in length. Any diameter pipe can be used I guess if you have the equipment, but 1" pipe IMO looks best. Not to obtrusive yet super strong and light. Here are a couple of pics after painting. Matches the VR3 finish really closely. I'll be installing these tomorrow. Once my 50" screens arrive I'll take some more pics.

Now if only someone can get me a deal on two Dbox actuators!!! Grrrrrrrrrr.

DSCF0571.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

DSCF0562.jpg

update: 4/2/12

Check this out. Not 100% in place, still need to bolt down the aluminum ring but its coming together.

DSCF0574.jpg

Added a stiffer rubber to the spring inside the handbrake, its really about perfect now. Wish I could add the "clak clak" of a real handbrake but the preassure is great. Can't have everything.

The shifter is AWESOME. I am using the short shift 6+1 I got fabricated from a friend over at GTPlanet. I then lined each gate with a rubber shim. The shifts feel almost real now. I've set the bolt on the shift stiff and loctite the thread, and with the rubber lining on the inside of the gate it feels almost right.

Now onto a couple other goodies. :)

Update 7/1/2012

My modded G27 pedals with Perfect Pedal, and pedal extensions made by me. They feel fantastic.
M1020010.jpg

M1020008.jpg

M1020007.jpg

My rig in its current state. Please forgive all the dust and debri, I was just finished modded it and there was dust from drilling and sawing of aluminum and MDF.

D-Box 4 actuator system is all set up :D You can see the front actuator just in front of the custom roll cage bars I hand bent to get rid of the center support. In this position the D-box actuators give better feedback and movement than at the front of the rig. the movement is more violent and convincing as well as the transducer effects enhanced.

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

You get a good look at the wafer keyboard mount here.
cockpit4.jpg

cockpit5.jpg

cockpit6.jpg

My homage to Porsche
cockpit7.jpg

You can see the surround speakers mounted to the projector mount and also under each screen. The surround with the omnipolar speakers is fantastic.
cockpit8.jpg

cockpit10.jpg

cockpit11.jpg

An early shot of my custom VisonRacer/Fast Track Sims triple mount.
cockpit12.jpg

Right now I just have to clean up a few things from all the modding and construction. I have pretty much completed the rig with full Fanatec ClubSport wheel, rims, and accessories. As technology advances I'll keep changing the displays. Eventually I want to go for a 220 degree circular display using 4 or 5 projectors. LED projectors continue to advance and I'll use those since the color gamut is identical across the image. I'll update the thread as I add new equipment. :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Wow!:dopey:
Can't wait to see it with monitors.

How well do your pedals work with the Fanatec ? I have a G27 / perfect pedal setup as well and am considering the new CSW. I want to keep my perfect pedal though.

Now this is my type of thread !!! :)
The setup has true potential. I will be watching this closely as Im contemplating 3x 3D projectors myself and ditching triple monitors altogether. The screen is the hardest decision, to go flat, canted or curved? Surely though 3x 40"+ has to be too big and larger than life? Can I ask if your partly interested in getting similar cockpit onscreen size to the real cars or just a large image size?

Nowhere can I find evidence or knowledge of GT5 supporting triple screen 3D never mind seeing it. What projectors are you for using and have you been able to try GT5 on your projector configuration?

The link wasnt working at the time for the video I wonder if you were referring to "Mikemav's" setup on the forums?

Last edited:
Lookin really good, can't wait to see the rest in store .
Quick question, why 3 x projector though? is it because of size?, what about clarity compensation comparing to 3 proper LED Monitor

It's either 3x projectors or 3x Samsung ultra slim LED LCD. I can't stand bezels at all. I'd rather just have a large single display. With projectors no bezel, and I can have a triple 46" setup for the cost of a single Samsung LED ultra slim.

Mayaman
It's either 3x projectors or 3x Samsung ultra slim LED LCD. I can't stand bezels at all. I'd rather just have a large single display. With projectors no bezel, and I can have a triple 46" setup for the cost of a single Samsung LED ultra slim.

I hear ya, Mayaman. That's also the reason I never got a multidisplay setup.
I now use my 32inch tv as monitor since I never watch tv anymore.
Beamers are more expensive on the energy bill though. :P

The screens look like they will produce a great immersive experience, superb.
Whats your distance from the centre of the seat to the middle screen. We already know the VR3 monitor mount is if anything a little further back than most rigs which helps.

I just get a feeling these are maybe just a bit big for being so close to the seat?
Well of course the proof is in the testing I guess.

My own cockpit ideas are similar but for my own usage I'd want/need to be able to easily move the triple screen option to also accomodate a 100"+ screen in maximising the single screen gaming experience. Are you happy enough to run with a single 46" or just plan to play mostly PC and multiscreen games?

Your cockpit looks to be excellent indeed but Im NOT impressed with your "Girlyman Buttkicker Gamer" tactile configuration, hee hee, lol. That's more for something like a Playseat not for a rig as awesome as this will be... 💡

Last edited:
Mr. Latte, we're on the same wave length. thats the beauty of my setup. All those screens are held on with industrial Velcro. I have a single 92 inch screen that attaches via the same Velcro for single screen Xbox and PS3. The mount is versatile. With a little imagination you can basically mount anything to it. with the velcro I can literally swap from Single screen to triple screen in 2 minutes. :D

The view distance is fine, no less or more than my current 46" LCD at my desk. I also have a 67" 3D LED in my living room for most of my conventional gaming.

Ah superb then...

Did you test different sizes that brought you to the 46" size or was it just a case of wanting as big as possible for a workable FOV/seating distance.

Can you link that type of material used and the 3M stuff your considering.
Also if posible Id love to see the brackets or mounting solution you refer to mate.

Appreciate any help

I decided on the 46" size because I have a 46" panel and its almost the perfect size in triple configuration to almost be a 1:1 of a real vehicle when in cockpit view.

Also the rig literally covers 100% of your peripheral vision. That was a big factor in the size of the panels I chose.

The hardware used is the default hardware that came with the mount latte, the only thing I added was velcro. So in other words, Instead of using the screws supplied for 26" monitors, I added industrial velcro to the faces of the mounts and then to the back of the screens. Its super simple.

The vicuiti material is from 3M, just google it. Watch some of the Youtube videos, its amazing stuff. You can project in bright sunlight without loss of picture. The material is EXPENSIVE though. You could use simple projection material as well. I just like the brightness from the Vicuiti material.

Okay will research this, thanks...

Oh can you measure the centre of your seat then to the middle screen.
Id guess about 40". Importantly the edges of your screen seem to be approx in line with the steering wheel which always seems to be about right from setups Ive seen in the past.

Latte, I'll take another couple of pics tonight when I get home. I'll show you the bare mount. Anybody who is thinking about a new rig would be nuts not to at least take a look at the VR3. Especially now with this versatile mount. The added bonus as I've mentioned before is that the rig is so stiff now, the center bar is no longer needed at all.

As to your second question I don't understand. but I will say that due to the screens being so light and the way I'm mounting them I can adjust the outer screens to what ever degree I want. I can run a standard 45 degree, or I can run an extreme almost 90 degree. Its up to you.

Please link me a supplier for the UK if you can or where you purchased the Vikiti.

I would maybe prefer "rear projection material" as my projectors might suit that.

I believe Vicuiti comes in both front and rear projection. PM your email and I'll send you my contact. She is a sales rep for Vicuiti.

Okay cheers.

Ive read some reports on some forums this doesnt work that well in a dark room and also on short throw projectors. Two things that would be factors in my own usage.

Can you comment on that or testing you have done?

Ive also read about HOPS FOIL but really some of the prices for what really is a plastic film/material are just ludicrous.

My own projector will produce a 40"+ image from only 2FT projection distance. I kinda have an idea of making a horizontal curved screen (not dome) from wood/plastic and covered by typical projection material. Alternatively go for 3x screens with the outer ones canted like you have. The projectors could be placed on a shelf close to the steering wheel area.

Latte, this definitely will NOT work with short throw projectors. I also have a short throw projector, and to be honest, they distort the image way to much for this type of application. Vicuiti works in any lighting condition.

The short throw projector does work well for a large curved screen though. The setup below is my other rig with large 100" curved screen and short throw projector.

Proj2.jpg

righ6.jpg

Proj4.jpg

Proj3.jpg

Proj5.jpg

Last edited:
Well its refreshing to see someone as crazy about all this as I am. :)

Thanks for the help, look forward to more on your rig and Im sure myself and a few others will soon have you interested in multichannel surround tactile.

I have multichannel surround :P

I just haven't placed it on the rig. I also use the Astro A40 surround headphones. The buttkicker does its job, but I was going to actually add two of them. One on the left and one on the right connected to their corresponding right and left inputs. that way when I pass over a rumble strip on the right I feel it on the right. :D

Whenever you decide to get serious about tactile immersion then let me know, lol. :sly:

A minimium I recommend is 3 in a 2.1 configuration. Though not really the "Gamer" model, its okay for beginners or small cockpits.

The LFE channel often outputs different frequencies and signal to the stereo channels from typical Dolby Digital decoded game audio.

Adding surround tactile and then tactile to the pedals etc just keeps adding to the immersion.
I cant believe I ended up with a configuration of 14 tactile units but thats what happens when a hobby overtakes common sense or rashinal thinking..

Let me know what you recommend for this rig. I'll add to the buttkicker. Might as well amp up the tactile sound while I'm spending all this money. LOL

Hey guys, update for you.

I finally got my Qumi projectors, I got the tripods and the other 2 Xboxs.

All I can say is Holy $hit! If you have the means to go three display do it, its an entirely different experience. Darin wasn't kidding, it literally makes the game a new game.

Here are some pics for you

Before
DSCF0423.jpg

After :D

DSCF0437.jpg

DSCF0439-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the rig lit up like a Xmas tree by 4 100 watt incandescent bulbls

DSCF0436.jpg

Here is a really crappy youtube video I took. The projectors aren't even calibrated or spaced correctly and I played for around 3 hours this way it was so much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAM0qRPD3Pc

The screens also don't have their projection material on them yet, its just shiny plastic and the projection goes right through it. Once I have the screens covered in projection material its going to be great.

On a related note, the G27 pedals I modded with Perfect Pedal and Nixim Clutch are amazing. I prefer them over my Clubsports easily. I moved the old clutch spring to the gas. If only I could put a slight stutter in the clutch and they will be perfect. The perfect pedal is just a beautiful piece of work. Feels like a real car. Best part, no bezels and I saved 3 grand.

Anyway, I'll try and take some more videos over the next few days.

Last edited:
Give it to me baby, ahhaa ahaaa!

Need to know more about the plastic you used. I even considered frosted plastic and back projection. It still looks much bigger than real life scale though however Im sure its immense. Did you ever try one large bit of wood/plastic to project onto but curved rather than canted?

As an idea I would suggest but only because looks do seem important to you, Perhaps consider sending the metal base components of the G27 pedals away to be chromed! Also modify or update the pedal plates to proper motorsport pedals, well what you think but they are things I would consider.

Last edited:
Now THAT is mind blowing, I look at your pictures and I feel like in the real car already. OMG, I want tripple screen so bad

It looks larger than scale but to be honest its really close, too close to really care. If you go to hood cam, its almost vomit inducing the feeling of movement. :P Hwangm, the material used are simple panels of plastic from the Home Depot. They are in the same bin, in the back of the store with the Acrylic panels. They are 46" diagonal or 44" diagonal around there. $6 each. I am covering this in projection paint this week. But even without the paint the image is bright.

I'll take a measurement later, gotta go to work.

Last edited:
Wow!:dopey:
Can't wait to see it with monitors.

How well do your pedals work with the Fanatec ? I have a G27 / perfect pedal setup as well and am considering the new CSW. I want to keep my perfect pedal though.

To put it simply I LOVE the modded G27s with perfect pedal and Nixim clutch. The perfect pedal is great, easily the best pedal I've ever used. I have a set of Clubsports, that I really like but I like my modded G27s better so far. I removed them from the plastic case, got aluminum housings, and did the clutch to gas pedal mod while installing the new Nixm clutch. Also have a SimSport pedal mount rig. Money well spent, totally adjustable.

I'll have some pics of the projector placement later this week. I'm currently painting the screens with projection two stage/metallic paint. To be honest I have the windows open and the fumes are pretty crazy. Gah.

Back