Cut Content & Concepts of NFS Most Wanted 2012

Silver Arrows

(Banned)
Canada
Brandon, MB
Silver-Arrows21

New video from GrandTheftAero sheds light into one of the more divisive titles in the later era of NFS, Most Wanted 2012.

Most of the stuff is somewhat incidental, so I will run through more bulletin point material

- Strangely enough, not many map changes compared to other games, aside from a few general road changes.

- Speedbreaker and Cooldown spots were cut, the former not making it to the first E3 build, the second being cut and never seen after the first E3 video.

- Cut cars include the true BMW M3 GTR (Which looked like it was going to be in the game at launch, instead was shifted to DLC) A Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, a Hummer H1 Alpha, 2006 WRX STi (Which is surmised that it was cut and made room for the Impreza Cosworth, which is IMO a much better and interesting choice) and a C2 Corvette Stingray.

- An actual story was supposed to be had, but was cut fairly early in the development process. Mentions to Mia from MW2005 are present. Which leads to the big revelation....

- This game was supposed to be a direct sequel to Most Wanted 2005. Customization and other features from the past games (Which I outlined above) figured much more prominently into the original pitch for the game, but it was cut down into the barely related game that shipped to retail.

- Older songs from past NFS games were supposed to be present, the one most notable being Fear for the Flava by Hot Action Cop. Also, the song played during the original reveal trailer, Firestarter by The Prodigy, is present in the files.

In my opinion, some of these aspects may have helped MW2012, but ultimately, I have never liked either of the Criterion based NFS games, because they never could really breathe into their own skin. There is too many Burnout influences to really make it separate from the NFS experience, considering that NFS, to me at least, a much more grounded arcade experience. Even trying to shed the NFS name and taking the game as the sequel to Burnout Paradise, the game didn't really feel that fun or groundbreaking.

So basically, Most Wanted 2012 was supposed to be a direct sequel to Most Wanted 05, with classic NFS songs, customization, story and more. I bet if Criterion had more time and weren't pressured by EA, we would've gotten Most Wanted 2 and such 'reboots' like NFS 2015 won't be necessary to win back the fanbase it once had.
I fixed one of the ending paragraphs. Watching cut stuff and concept arts showcased like these is interesting and at the same time, left me disgruntled. If only they went down the sequel route... :banghead:

Also, I didn't know the H1 Alpha didn't make the cut on console, I thought it was some sort of an 'online-only' car because surely felt nothing missing from the game itself. Though, it might've been because I played the mobile version too, since it was present ingame:

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

On a side note though, I enjoyed MW2012 as is. It's actually a very solid game and I wouldn't mind the idea of a 'licensed' Burnout Paradise with cops. They shouldn't have used the "Most Wanted" moniker, though.

I guess this is what those all-important dollahbills does to a game. So many games that could've been a lot more than what they turned out to be, and seemingly without too much more in the way of development time. Funnily, a significant portion of those are EA games. And the development studios tend to be shut down soon after. Who needs ambitious projects anyway when the name sells the game and not the other way around? I can't help but feel we sort of brought this on ourselves.

That said, I can't wait to see what 2015 holds. What? Surely all the good things were cut?

Criterion ane EA in a meeting room.....

Craig Sullivan (Criterion) : EA, how about we make a sequel to Most Wanted? We'll stay true to what the original is. Story, customization, all of it.

EA CEO: 🤬 that. We need money right now. Lets see......oh I got an idea!

Craig: What is it?

EA CEO: Just make another Burnout Paradise but with real cars and using the Most Wanted name.

Craig: I don't think that's a good idea. NFS fans will get furious if my team will do that.

EA CEO: JUST DO IT! Or I will fire you or do the death march.

Craig: Alright. *sighs in disappointment.

I'm starting to realize that we shouldn't have ****ted Criterion for what they did to Most Wanted. Blame EA for that.

I'm sure Blackpanthaa will soon realize that he shouldn't have blamed Criterion and Craig Sullivan for what happened. Blame EA.

Last edited:
Dat leaked concept art though :drool:
The game could have been so much better, I really don't understand the logic behind most of these changes.
This is more on EA's fault. Had they not pressured Critertion on time then maybe we should have seen Most Wanted 2012 as a sequel to the original.

This is more on EA's fault. Had they not pressured Critertion on time then maybe we should have seen Most Wanted 2012 as a sequel to the original.
Perhaps it was also Criterion's decision. Like the video suggested, maybe they felt that they weren't up to the task of creating a sequel to Most Wanted.

But yeah, it does seem like it was mostly EA behind these decisions. I just hope that we eventually get another NFS game like Most Wanted 2005 and Carbon.

Edit: I just noticed something in one of the concept art photos:
Most Wanted 2 KITT.png

I guess someone at Criterion liked the Knight Rider reboot :P
upload_2017-3-20_23-51-23.png

Last edited:
http://needforspeedtheories.boards.net/thread/1485/mw2012-thread

I like to introduce you to all the info from this forum I've been apart of for like a year.

From what I've seen EA do, this is no exception. EA is known to screw developers plans to reboot a older game, but yet EA goes all power trippy, this game Criterion made was lackluster. I like MW 2012, but I just can't get over the fact EA took no time for them to stay true to what they planned.

Still, EA is to blame for making programmers and art to be great than the full release.

I will never buy a EA product again because of it.

http://needforspeedtheories.boards.net/thread/1485/mw2012-thread

I like to introduce you to all the info from this forum I've been apart of for like a year.

From what I've seen EA do, this is no exception. EA is known to screw developers plans to reboot a older game, but yet EA goes all power trippy, this game Criterion made was lackluster. I like MW 2012, but I just can't get over the fact EA took no time for them to stay true to what they planned.

Still, EA is to blame for making programmers and art to be great than the full release.

I will never buy a EA product again because of it.

I remembered that thread. I suppose research is still ongoing?

Also, it may not be cut content, but someone tried to edit the ingame car names.

NFS13_2016_10_02_13_26_21_38.jpg

NFS13_2016_10_02_13_26_24_61.jpg
NFS13_2016_10_02_13_26_43_88.jpg
NFS13_2016_10_02_13_26_56_02.jpg

:lol:

Back