D1GP/Formula DRIFT ,Drift Trial: Fuji Speedway F

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 35 comments
United Kingdom
London
nowcontrol
D1GP/Formula DRIFT ,Drift Trial: Fuji Speedway F

06_d1gp-jpg.275147

Image courtesy of JogoAsobi .. Many Thanks.

Rankings Registration: 17/12/2014 – 08/01/2015 .. 03:00 GMT/UTC
Period of Availability: 17/12/2014 – 08/01/2015 .. 03:00 GMT/UTC

Entry Requirements:
Tyres: Sports Hard or less
Cars:
  • AEM S2000
  • BLITZ ER34 D1 SPEC '04
  • BLITZ DUNLOP ER34 SKYLINE '07
  • HKS GENKI HYPER SILVIA RS2 '04
  • Mazda BP FALKEN RX-7 '03
Prizes:
Gold: Cr. 800,000
Silver: Cr. 550,000
Bronze: Cr. 350,000

Gift(s):
Gold: S2000 GT1 Turbo (Parts Installed)

Target Score:
Gold: 2,500
Silver: 2,000
Bronze: 1,500

TC, ASM & SRF is forced OFF (grayed out) in Driving Options menu.

Course Conditions:
Track: Fuji Speedway F
Track Length: 2.84 miles / 4571 m
Time of day: *
Temp: *
Precipitation: 0%

Tunes:

Please post links for applicable tunes so I can update OP.

The S2000 GT1 comes with every available tire option ready to be equipped free of charge. No power upgrades.

UGHH, used the HKS GENKI HYPER SILVIA, biggest problem for un-expierenced drifters? Not much track to get your points.
made a login mistake, only have 170%, i did it, got gold after 30 minutes, but i put back my savegame and tomorrow i start all over again with 200% login.:banghead:
I hope in the meantime, somebody posts a nice tune.
Thank you.

Kind of cool to see PD base this on a real event...still pretty basic though.

The entry is a little tricky, and the first CP is pretty blind.

I found it helped to follow the proper D1 line to enter...ie, start on the left hand side of the track. As you approach the yellow "Start" beacons, initiate drift by flicking towards the rumble strip on the right side of the track. Drag the e-brake a necessary....as soon as you feel you are lined up to clear the apex on the left, mash the throttle.. After clearing the apex, hold a mid line through the rest of the section.

Not sure if this'll help, but here's a vid from the Fuji D1GP earlier this year.

I used the Blitz Dunlop ER34 (premium one), with basically the stock tune. I know a lot of people don't like the turbo and throttle response of this car, but if you learn to feather the throttle properly, it is beastly (can't beat the sound either)

I'll post my tune later when I get home.

Edit:

Here is my tune for the Dunlop Blitz ER34. It's still a work in progress, and I don't work on this car that often. I use it more for practicing certain techniques.

I use a DS3 with R2 as gas and L2 as foot brake. Even though I use a DS3, my style of drifting mimics that of a wheel user (people in lobbies always think Im on a wheel :))...so that means my tunes and handling preferences are slightly different than a lot of DS3 users.

So with that said, I don't know how well this setup will work for beginner and intermediate drifters (combined with the characteristics of this car).

Controller sensitivity: -2
Tires: CH
ABS: 1, all aids off.

580hp
527ft lbs
Stock turbo
Power limiter: 95.0

1252 lbs
No ballast
DF: 100 / 200

Suspension
RH: 90 / 70
SR: 13.50 / 12.70
DC: 4 / 3
DE: 5 / 4
ARB: 6 / 3
Ca: 3.5 / 0.2
To: -0.05 / 0.20

Differential:
16 / 50 / 40

Brakes: 3 / 0 (personal preference. I use a ton of left foot braking, especially while chasing in tandem runs. By feathering the gas and the brake at the same time, I can get the rear of the car to pivot around the front)

Transmission: stock (this is my personal preference. Like I said, I use this car to practice technique. This forces me to focus on driving the car as close to as it would be IRL)

Last edited:
The payout for this drift is very tempting, but I have never drifted and don't even know how. I would need a complete tutorial, tune, and a ton of luck to catch that 800,000 cr. My main problem is that I just don't understand the concept I guess.:banghead:

that blue Toyota at 1:38. that's me all the time on this seasonal. im normally pretty good as drifting but this. ive given up with 1,952 points and tried the S2000 and BP Falken RX7.

It took me a few try's, but I got it in the end. I ended up getting 3784 points after a few runs. I used the premium blitz skyline.

Comfort hard tyres
Custom box with max speed tuned all the way down
Maxed out torque and acceleration on the LSD
Top turbo
And I've attached a pic of my suspension tune.

I should also note that I drift in auto because I'm lazy and it works for me. Just a lot of power over and handbrake image.jpg

that blue Toyota at 1:38. that's me all the time on this seasonal. im normally pretty good as drifting but this. ive given up with 1,952 points and tried the S2000 and BP Falken RX7.

Did you turn both the front and rear downforce down as much as possible? If you're used to drifting street cars, the extra grip in a racecar can cause issues.

Did you turn both the front and rear downforce down as much as possible? If you're used to drifting street cars, the extra grip in a racecar can cause issues.

i didn't lol ill give that a go and see how it goes.

I don't ever drift so I found this pretty hard, I used the Blitz Dunlop R34 stock and it took me around 12 tries before I finally got it! I had to use my DS3 because I cannot seem to even drift with my DFGT

The payout for this drift is very tempting, but I have never drifted and don't even know how. I would need a complete tutorial, tune, and a ton of luck to catch that 800,000 cr. My main problem is that I just don't understand the concept I guess.:banghead:
Is it drifting in general, or scoring points in Drift Trial that you're having trouble with?

perhaps try it in practice on that track with the drift car you would be using for the actual event.
I've found team shmo's drift tunes to be pretty awesome .. have a look here: http://www.team-shmo.com/GT6Main/drift.php

does anyone know if the rewards are a combined payout of gold + silver + bronze or is it just the 800k for gold?

Yes it is, all previous seasonal events with bronze, silver & gold were also combined as far as i know. I suggest you to wait untill you reach 200% increased rewards (for signing in 5 days in a row). It's even possible to boost this by using ''Time Zone change'' method at XMB, make sure to set time always before midnight, then just wait in game untill clock reach 00:00, game will think its a new day and notification should pop up.

Yes it is, all previous seasonal events with bronze, silver & gold were also combined as far as i know. I suggest you to wait untill you reach 200% increased rewards (for signing in 5 days in a row). It's even possible to boost this by using ''Time Zone change'' method at XMB, make sure to set time always before midnight, then just wait in game untill clock reach 00:00, game will think its a new day and notification should pop up.

cool, thanks.

So after many attempts i finally managed to reach the top 10 in rankings.
IMG_20141218_031900.jpg

In my opinion setup isn't really important on this type of cars, since they are already built for drift. Every drifter should be able to win Gold without having too much trouble.
Having perfect line on track is the main thing you should focus on, that gives most points.

Car - DUNLOP ER34 SKYLINE '07

For those who want top scores they can try my setup bellow:
Suspension:
IMG_20141218_035353.jpg

Transmission: First reset to Default then Max. Speed set to 270kmh (167mph) Final Gear to 4.600 then set gear numbers,
1 - 3.000
2 - 2.100
3 - 1.550
4 - 1.210
5 - 0.994
6 - 0.847
Final Gear to 4.345

Drivetrain: 60/60/50

Downforce: 100 / 200

Oil change and High RPM Range Turbo Kit are required.

Sorry for the bad quality pics, hope it helps... good luck! :)

Last edited:
This seasonal is beyond annoying.
What I want to know is, how can you tell if you are generating a good amount of points or not?

Last edited:
Where did PD say they "made drifting better" ?

http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/1129

The required lines and angles is very clear, so I think even players who aren’t usually good at drifting will get something out of researching how to do this right.

As someone who is *slightly* above mediocre at drifting (i.e. i can usually achieve a gold in the first 3-5 tries, i really dont care about leader boards), i found this to be one of the most annoying drift challenges yet. The line is not intuitive through the second corner at all, and requires you to go across the line completely sideways. Not to mention wag style drifting past the start line doesnt register any points at all, until you are into the first corner entry. Its nothing at all like the 2014 D1GP at Fuji. Its a joke, and its even worse than "normal" drift events in GT6 thus far.

Is it drifting in general, or scoring points in Drift Trial that you're having trouble with?
Drifting in general -- I have read what I can on the Drift Forum and checked out Shmo, but still struggle. For those of you who enjoy and are good at it I'm glad. I will keep giving it a try once in a while and perhaps eventually get the idea.

http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/1129

As someone who is *slightly* above mediocre at drifting (i.e. i can usually achieve a gold in the first 3-5 tries, i really dont care about leader boards), i found this to be one of the most annoying drift challenges yet. The line is not intuitive through the second corner at all, and requires you to go across the line completely sideways. Not to mention wag style drifting past the start line doesnt register any points at all, until you are into the first corner entry. Its nothing at all like the 2014 D1GP at Fuji. Its a joke, and its even worse than "normal" drift events in GT6 thus far.

Sorry, I have to disagree completely. I just went back and redid this seasonal to test it again....and I have to say, I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how accurate the scoring system works for this challenge.

For this challenge, to score good points, you need to follow the 2014 Fuji D1GP line as absolutely close as possible.

I'm not sure what "wag style drifting", but to me it sounds like something that would result in a 0 at almost any drift comp.

If you watch the IRL vid I posted above, you'll notice that the drivers are initiating around a cluster of neon green/yellow cones, place on the right hand side of the track (also with some spraypaint on the track). The yellow "sector start" icons in the GT seasonal are located at nearly the exact same distance from the left hander.

Getting a clean launch from the start actually matters in this challenge. You'll want to be hitting about 70mph passing under the Audi sign, and the initiating between 90-100mph.

Follow the same line as the real life comp. Start on the left side of the track as you pass under the Audi banner. As you approach the "sector start" icons, weight transfer from left to right. You should transition right as you cross the icons.

Start dragging the e-brake to slide the rear of the car along the rumble strip on the right hand side of the track. For me, the points counter wouldn't start countingn until the weight transfer was complete, and the rear of the car was stepped out to the right. Try not to be on the rumble strip too much, as this reduces points, and upsets the ballance of the car.

Now comes the key to getting a good score. You want to be approaching the left hander with that "Goldie Locks angle"...ie not too much, not too little. I'd say between 45' to 60' is what you're looking for (IRL they can go for more angle and still score well, but the GT system doesn't score monster entry angle very well). The key to getting a good score is to have the car lined up in a way that allows you to go full throttle before you pass the inner clipping point at the apex. If you're sliding past the apex still on the brake, or feathering the throttle, you probably won't score well.

From the CP, your next aim is the transition, which should happen on the right side of the track, almost directly under the Goodyear sign. As you pass the CP, take as direct a line as possible from the apex to the spot under the sign. Maintaining consistent speed, line, and angle (result of being smooth with your inputs) through here is what racks up the points. In the few test runs I did, I was hitting about 2500 points as I reached the Goodyear sign.

Transition on the right side of the track as you pass under the Goodyear sign. Try to make this transition as smooth and controlled as possible. You want to use this transition to gain as much grip as possible, which will allow you to pick up as much speed as possible as you enter the 100R corner.

I use an up shift from 5th to 6th in conjunction with the right-to-left weight transfer to help kick the back end out to the left entering the 100R.

IRL, the line through the 100R is actually a little ambiguous, where as GT's is more precise. To score the most points, keep the nose of the car about 1/2 a car width off the white line on the inside of the corner. You should be standing on full throttle through here, only making minor corrections to stay on line if necessary.

I posted the tune for my ER34 above. Like I said, I use the stock transmission.

I leave the line in 2nd. I start my initial weight transfer in 4th, and shift up to 5th as the weight goes from left to right. Back down to 4th as I drag the e-brake. Stand on the gas and e-brake at the same time, then release the e-brake when the car is lined up properly. Being at full throttle when you release the e-brake is a DS3 el-cheapo way to mimic a clutch kick (makes sure your turbo is spooled as well). Shift up from 4th to 5th passing the inner CP on the left, at full throttle. A slight lift and/or gentle "left foot brake" as you approach the transition to set up the weight transfer. Finally, shift up from 5th to 6th as the weight transfers over to the left, and stand on full throttle through 100R to the finish.

Drifting in general -- I have read what I can on the Drift Forum and checked out Shmo, but still struggle. For those of you who enjoy and are good at it I'm glad. I will keep giving it a try once in a while and perhaps eventually get the idea.
PM me if you have some questions, or would like to learn more. I'm in no way saying I'm good at teaching drifting, nor am I an expert...but I do know a thing or two. Maybe even just get you pointed in the right direction 👍

Last edited:
Okay, I ended up scoring 2,964 points on my first run today (WOOT) and I'll tell you guys how I did it.

I dabbled up a tune for my Blitz ER34 Skyline and made the transmission at it's maximum acceleration level. With steering sensitivity to 7.

• Upon start, veer to the left side of the straight and keep accelerating.
  • The moment I passed the yellow flag mark, let off the gas, and pulled off.... I guess, a Scandinavian Flick, demonstrated upon this diagram, except I went left instead of right:
    360px-Scandinavian_flick.svg.png
  • After recovering from the drift, I accelerated until I was between the start of the second turn and the section end line, and immediately veered to the right, angling myself to get as many points as possible.

I'm not sure what "wag style drifting", but to me it sounds like something that would result in a 0 at almost any drift comp.

Its called Manji Style drifting, it is scored, and sometimes required on longer straight sections of track between corners.

But hey, you "completely" disagree with me, so clearly im wrong, and have no idea what im talking about. :rolleyes:

Its called Manji Style drifting, it is scored, and sometimes required on longer straight sections of track between corners.

But hey, you "completely" disagree with me, so clearly im wrong, and have no idea what im talking about. :rolleyes:
I too know what Manji is, and where it should be used, and where it should be avoided.

There is definitely no reason to do a full Manji anywhere in this section. The entry is sort of half of a manji I guess...but it's more of a flick from one side to the other.

Like I said, if you follow the proper D1GP line (which does not have any Manji in it), you shouldn't really have trouble scoring points.

I can't drift worth a crap, it simply doesn't make sense to me (I mean, I'm not sure what the game is wanting, seems to change all the time). I had the S2000, used it in stock form, 10 tries, got the 2,500 gold EXACT! Never did that before. Glad I don't have to keep trying haha

Latest Posts

Back