Daily race qualifying leaderboards

  • Thread starter Thread starter rtoale
  • 31 comments
  • 7,370 views
Messages
14
Messages
rtoale
I am an A/B - DR and S - SR driver, not the fastest but regularly on the podium, always top 10 quali and 1/3 top 5 finishes. I play with a G29 and playseat and put in a low 1.30 on Le Sarth GR1 last night in race C, the leaderboard tells me I ranked 600 in my region and I can’t really see where I could squeeze much more time. The top time was 14 seconds quicker, how is that possible with BOP?
 
git gud
Jokes aside, can you share a replay of your hotlap? Will be glad to help :)

There is, unfortunately, an exploit around La Sarthe that lets you cut the final chicane at no cost, but I'm sure it's not a difference of 14 seconds
 
git gud
Jokes aside, can you share a replay of your hotlap? Will be glad to help :)

There is, unfortunately, an exploit around La Sarthe that lets you cut the final chicane at no cost, but I'm sure it's not a difference of 14 seconds

I will share a video, but damn 14 seconds! I just can’t see where people get this time.
 
git gud
Jokes aside, can you share a replay of your hotlap? Will be glad to help :)

There is, unfortunately, an exploit around La Sarthe that lets you cut the final chicane at no cost, but I'm sure it's not a difference of 14 seconds
Just checked your time, you are 3.21 so yeah definitely need a few pointers.
 
Hmm, it's a bit hard to explain without a reference video; let me do a lap and go from there :)
 
You can't be always top10 and not be A+ driver IMHO .
3'30" at le mans is not bad but an average time
 
You can't be always top10 and not be A+ driver IMHO .
3'30" at le mans is not bad but an average time
The games I get matched in against AB drivers I am always top 10. I have never been in a daily race where pole is 14 seconds quicker than everyone else.
 
The games I get matched in against AB drivers I am always top 10. I have never been in a daily race where pole is 14 seconds quicker than everyone else.
By Top 10, you mean on the Top 10 Stars leaderboards, or when you get matchmaked?
Video is uploading, but yeah on La Sarthe the average qualifying time is anywhere from 3:28 to 3:35. It's a long circuit, so there will be more variation in time
 
By Top 10, you mean on the Top 10 Stars leaderboards, or when you get matchmaked?
Video is uploading, but yeah on La Sarthe the average qualifying time is anywhere from 3:28 to 3:35. It's a long circuit, so there will be more variation in time
No, never been top 10 on the leaderboard, just top 10 in races with AB drivers.
 
Here's the reference video:

It will be a very long and bloody discussion if I talk about every single corner, so watch the vid and I'll just provide clarifications if you have any questions :)
The hybrids have an ever-so-slightly different line, but it mostly comes down to slower corner speeds and better exits
 
Here's the reference video:

It will be a very long and bloody discussion if I talk about every single corner, so watch the vid and I'll just provide clarifications if you have any questions :)
The hybrids have an ever-so-slightly different line, but it mostly comes down to slower corner speeds and better exits

Great lap and thanks for the time taken to do it. Straight away I can see that you use so much more kerb than me, I find that I can’t get the traction when I unsettle the car on the kerb, maybe my throttle input needs to be smoother. Will do my own vid tomorrow and upload, thanks again.
 
Great lap and thanks for the time taken to do it. Straight away I can see that you use so much more kerb than me, I find that I can’t get the traction when I unsettle the car on the kerb, maybe my throttle input needs to be smoother. Will do my own vid tomorrow and upload, thanks again.
Yep. It's a matter of trial and error mostly on which kerbs you can use, and what kerbs give you penalties. For example, in the last set of chicanes, you can cut the first chicane, but you cannot go over the red kerbing over the second chicane, since that'll give you a penalty

And yeah, kerb riding in general needs to have smooth throttle inputs. It'd be a great asset for any track to be able to do this all the time :)
 
Here's the reference video:

It will be a very long and bloody discussion if I talk about every single corner, so watch the vid and I'll just provide clarifications if you have any questions :)
The hybrids have an ever-so-slightly different line, but it mostly comes down to slower corner speeds and better exits


Silly question, but is that just a regular time trial without BoP ?
 
Silly question, but is that just a regular time trial without BoP ?
It's a regular time trial with BoP. I've shown in the end of the video that I have BoP, default settings, and penalties on Strong for proof :)
 
It's a regular time trial with BoP. I've shown in the end of the video that I have BoP, default settings, and penalties on Strong for proof :)

Ah ok. I saw the speed on the straight and was like "Man, that Porche 919 is freaking fast..." And I drive the Audi R18, so not like I'm in a car that just pokes along.
 
Ah ok. I saw the speed on the straight and was like "Man, that Porche 919 is freaking fast..." And I drive the Audi R18, so not like I'm in a car that just pokes along.
I'm guessing it's from the corner exits?
 
I'm guessing it's from the corner exits?

Most likely, and I can definitely see where I'm going wrong on that track. I take those corners way too slowly. Your track knowledge is also very evident in how confidently you go through the corners. I think that's a very underrated aspect of being "fast" as well. Just how well you know a track. You know what's coming and just, without thinking, know where you should be to take the fastest route through the corner.
 
Most likely, and I can definitely see where I'm going wrong on that track. I take those corners way too slowly. Your track knowledge is also very evident in how confidently you go through the corners. I think that's a very underrated aspect of being "fast" as well. Just how well you know a track. You know what's coming and just, without thinking, know where you should be to take the fastest route through the corner.

Yup, the secret is to learn the fastest racing line and doing it lap after lap. Use the same brake points, turning points and calculating your exit trajectory before pressing the gas pedal.

There are usually 3 fases during a corner. Braking, hiting the apex and accelerating out of the corner. If you by any chance are decelerating until the end of a turn you are lossing straight speed. It is called slow in fast out.

If you learn that and apply it to any track you will become faster on all tracks.
 
Yup, the secret is to learn the fastest racing line and doing it lap after lap. Use the same brake points, turning points and calculating your exit trajectory before pressing the gas pedal.

There are usually 3 fases during a corner. Braking, hiting the apex and accelerating out of the corner. If you by any chance are decelerating until the end of a turn you are lossing straight speed. It is called slow in fast out.

If you learn that and apply it to any track you will become faster on all tracks.

And that is EXACTLY my problem. I think it's due to the fear of spinning out by being too aggressive on the throttle on the way out. I just need to play around more on the time trials and find that point where I am going at a good speed around the corner, but not so hot I blow through it, but not so slow that I'm losing time going around the corner and also thinking I then need to slam on the throttle to make up time, which in turn also makes me spin out.
 
Just for the kicks, I tried it in VR Time Trial. Did 5 or so laps before obtaining one without being penalized. What I hate about the penalty system in VR, is that you don't know if your time is invalid before the lap ends, so I toned it down to "Weak" so I wouldn't get frustrated by running over the curb at the beginning and not being flagged by it right away.

 
Just for the kicks, I tried it in VR Time Trial. Did 5 or so laps before obtaining one without being penalized. What I hate about the penalty system in VR, is that you don't know if your time is invalid before the lap ends, so I toned it down to "Weak" so I wouldn't get frustrated by running over the curb at the beginning and not being flagged by it right away.



Is it me? Or is there like 0 visibility in this view?
 
Just for the kicks, I tried it in VR Time Trial. Did 5 or so laps before obtaining one without being penalized. What I hate about the penalty system in VR, is that you don't know if your time is invalid before the lap ends, so I toned it down to "Weak" so I wouldn't get frustrated by running over the curb at the beginning and not being flagged by it right away.



Does the steering wheel looks different in terms of speed? When i drive cockpit the steering seems to be a bit slow. When you coming out of a corner and go straight (no input in controller, so just foward ) it looks like the steering wheel is still coming to the foward position. This really bothers me, but in this clip the steering wheel just seems to be how it supposed to. Is that a difference between normal and VR?
 
I'd suggest checking out GTP's Weekly Race Series - our generous hosts put on a time trial every week where some great racers compete to put in the best hotlap. Along with helpful discussion over the course of the week, you'll get to directly compare your replay against others and gauge your improvement through the ranking system. There's probably only a few people in the world who never say "how the hell is that time possible!", but closing the gap to these crazy folks from seconds to tenths feels really good ;)
 
Does the steering wheel looks different in terms of speed? When i drive cockpit the steering seems to be a bit slow. When you coming out of a corner and go straight (no input in controller, so just foward ) it looks like the steering wheel is still coming to the foward position. This really bothers me, but in this clip the steering wheel just seems to be how it supposed to. Is that a difference between normal and VR?

That's a good question. I always felt it had the same responsiveness, VR or not. At the same time, it's hard to tell if it's really different since I don't see my arms moving with the VR headset on. I should record myself and compare the result.

Are you playing with a wheel or a controller? For my part, I have a G25 hooked on a Drivehub.
 
I'd suggest checking out GTP's Weekly Race Series - our generous hosts put on a time trial every week where some great racers compete to put in the best hotlap. Along with helpful discussion over the course of the week, you'll get to directly compare your replay against others and gauge your improvement through the ranking system. There's probably only a few people in the world who never say "how the hell is that time possible!", but closing the gap to these crazy folks from seconds to tenths feels really good ;)
Thanks man, will be sure to check it out.
 
That's great! So I assume you're running 3:25s now- above average for this track I reckon :)
 
Also in the hybrids especially the 919 you need to get the car straight asap at exit to get the hybrid boost
 
That's a good question. I always felt it had the same responsiveness, VR or not. At the same time, it's hard to tell if it's really different since I don't see my arms moving with the VR headset on. I should record myself and compare the result.

Are you playing with a wheel or a controller? For my part, I have a G25 hooked on a Drivehub.

I drive with a controller.

Don't need to record your self. Just put the steering wheel foward coming out of a corner. Your arms are straight. Only thing you'll have to do is watch tje wheel in game and see if its still moving or it's foward
 
Back