DAKAR 2020Rally 

Here are some conclusions related to the location of the 2020 Dakar Rally from a 23-year veteran (me):
· Propaganda -
On the very first day of the rally, the local broadcaster thought it was adequate to make a propaganda piece on how you can be a couple and have a very Euro-like life in Saudi Arabia. I almost stopped watching the whole race just because of that, it was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen on national television.
Three cheers for sportswashing.

The propaganda part was indeed bad.

I've been working there several times since the late 90's and I must say I have another view of the country then what was shown during the Dakar.

And not one single critical question was asked by the (mainly Dutch) reporters I followed. But this might better be discussed in a different thread.

ASO has a five year deal so hopefully next year they can include Jordan and Egypt into the route for a more diverse scenery.

Would have prefered Southern Africa as well but money talks.

David Castera has said that he wants "an ASO race in South America". My guess is that they want to keep the flow of South American participants alive and also an easy way to maybe come back there when the contract with Saudi Arabia is over.

And on the second to last stage Dutch biker Edwin Straver (winner of Malle Moto 2019) crashed and got seriously injured. He is still in hospital in Riyadh and latest news is far from optimistic.

He passed away this morning.

I don't blame the ASO (kinda), I blame the terrain available - Saudi Arabia is stupidly flat, of course the dirt roads just go straight!

download.jpeg

Aw. Very sad we lost two competitors from Dakar 2020. My condolences to P. Goncalves and now Edwin Straver as well as the friends and family who known both respective racers.

Back