DANGER ZONE - Spiritual Successor to Burnout's Crash ModePS4 

• Thread starter JR98
  • 44 comments
Undertale back in 2015 was made by one person. Guess that makes it better than all three games then, right?

I'm not entirely sure how you managed to miss the point this badly. My point is that Three Fields Entertainment is entirely capable of creating more polished games than this, regardless of how many developers they have. They could have 150 developers and I'd call this game an overpriced asset flip, they could be one person working from home and I'd call this game an overpriced asset flip. Regardless of what you think of RoR2 or Va11 Hall-A or Undertale, the fact remains that all three games have received massive acclaim for their polish or depth, whilst DD is sorely lacking in both categories.

Not missing the point. Just pointing out the consequences.

What consequences? Either they go under and we don't get Burnout, or they continue to produce subpar games like this one and we don't get Burnout. If anything, blind praise and shouting down criticism gives us even less hope for an actual Burnout game; if we're setting the bar this low, what reason do they have to try and improve?

Either they go under and we don't get Burnout, or they continue to produce subpar games like this one and we don't get Burnout.

Exactly. In fact, a lot of the comments I saw on the Youtube stream for Giant Bomb's Quick Look on Dangerous Driving was basically to the effect of 'this isn't worth the price of admission that they are setting' and if that's the case, what point is there in hoping for a second Dangerous Driving, or to see Three Fields succeed?

I want Dangerous Driving and Three Fields to succeed. But if this is the effort and what the game is going to look like, why should I pay the 40 dollars Canadian for something that looks more like a ten dollar game, or an asset flip on Steam?

I'm not entirely sure how you managed to miss the point this badly. My point is that Three Fields Entertainment is entirely capable of creating more polished games than this, regardless of how many developers they have. They could have 150 developers and I'd call this game an overpriced asset flip, they could be one person working from home and I'd call this game an overpriced asset flip. Regardless of what you think of RoR2 or Va11 Hall-A or Undertale, the fact remains that all three games have received massive acclaim for their polish or depth, whilst DD is sorely lacking in both categories.

What consequences? Either they go under and we don't get Burnout, or they continue to produce subpar games like this one and we don't get Burnout. If anything, blind praise and shouting down criticism gives us even less hope for an actual Burnout game; if we're setting the bar this low, what reason do they have to try and improve?
Exactly. In fact, a lot of the comments I saw on the Youtube stream for Giant Bomb's Quick Look on Dangerous Driving was basically to the effect of 'this isn't worth the price of admission that they are setting' and if that's the case, what point is there in hoping for a second Dangerous Driving, or to see Three Fields succeed?

I want Dangerous Driving and Three Fields to succeed. But if this is the effort and what the game is going to look like, why should I pay the 40 dollars Canadian for something that looks more like a ten dollar game, or an asset flip on Steam?
All I hear is "It's too expensive. It's an asset flip." Then don't buy the game! Right now it's all just sour talk from the both of you, who can't either wait for a sale or wait for DD to become big like Burnout in the future (if it continues to succeed). Or better yet, move on to something! Problem solved.

This arguement has been dragging on for far too long and honestly, I rather enjoy what DD has to offer to that of Burnout 1, than be sour and whimper over a video game I clearly have no interest in purchasing because it's "too expensive" and "too cheap looking".

Good bye. My life is too important than to argue with random people on the internet.

All I hear is "It's too expensive. It's an asset flip." Then don't buy the game!

I won't. And there we run into the problem - if this is what a modern Burnout 3 is going to be like, then why should I have any enthusiasm or hope to see Three Fields succeed, or have any hope that Dangerous Driving will be anything but a one and done thing?

It's a Catch 22 scenario. Sure, if people don't buy the game, Dangerous Driving as a series, and the health of Three Fields as a whole suffers, and the studio shuts its doors. But if this is what I'm supposed to take as the finished game, and indeed, supposed to be the modern Burnout 3 that people have been clamoring for, why should I or anyone else buy in?

All I hear is "It's too expensive. It's an asset flip." Then don't buy the game! Right now it's all just sour talk from the both of you, who can't either wait for a sale or wait for DD to become big like Burnout in the future (if it continues to succeed). Or better yet, move on to something! Problem solved.

This arguement has been dragging on for far too long and honestly, I rather enjoy what DD has to offer to that of Burnout 1, than be sour and whimper over a video game I clearly have no interest in purchasing because it's "too expensive" and "too cheap looking".

Good bye. My life is too important than to argue with random people on the internet.

Of course it's sour talk - I've been waiting for either a new Burnout or a proper spiritual successor to Burnout for over 10 years, so naturally I'm going to be disappointed when the game lauded as the 'new Burnout' turns out to be painfully average at best and a poorly designed mess at worst, with no real indication that Three Fields has either the motivation or the ability to fix that. I don't see why I can't voice my concerns about that.

Of course it's sour talk - I've been waiting for either a new Burnout or a proper spiritual successor to Burnout for over 10 years, so naturally I'm going to be disappointed when the game lauded as the 'new Burnout' turns out to be painfully average at best and a poorly designed mess at worst, with no real indication that Three Fields has either the motivation or the ability to fix that. I don't see why I can't voice my concerns about that.
Well then I can't help you with your concern or disappointment. I'm no developer nor am I a member of TFE. All I can say is you should have never expected DD to be as wildly amazing as Burnout. What you have here is essentially a Burnout 1 on a budget, originally intended to be a simple, yet fun game like Burnout, made by a team that has no publisher to back them.

Also, no one said you can't voice your concern about anything. It's no one's fault that you're upset about a game that was intended to be what I've just described, said by Alex Ward himself from a video. Maybe when TFE goes under EA again, maybe then you'll have your 'burnout'. But it will be littered with microtransactions and EA crap put into their games nowadays.

Anyways, have a nice day. I won't be replying any more further after this.

Good bye.

Last edited:
Well then I can't help you with your concern or disappointment. I'm no developer nor am I a member of TFE. All I can say is you should have never expected DD to be as wildly amazing as Burnout. What you have here is essentially a Burnout 1 on a budget, originally intended to be a simple, yet fun game like Burnout, made by a team that has no publisher to back them.

Also, no one said you can't voice your concern about anything. It's no one's fault that you're upset about a game that was intended to be what I've just described, said by Alex Ward himself from a video. Maybe when TFE goes under EA again, maybe then you'll have your 'burnout'. But it will be littered with microtransactions and EA crap put into their games nowadays.

I never expected DD to be as good as Burnout, which is why I also didn't expect it to cost so much. Budget games demand budget prices, regardless of developer intentions; Alex Ward can go on and on about how simple the game was meant to be, how there's too much money involved in making urban locales, how much of a time investment optimization is, etc. etc... so if the game is meant to be a simple budget game, why are people expected to pay such a high price?

I hate EA as much as the next person, but frankly I couldn't give a toss if TFE goes under them again. Microtransactions are at least something I can ignore as I play; bland track design, janky handling physics, and the lack of a Custom Race mode at launch are issues that are a lot harder to look past. Hell, DD has microtransactions already; for just £10 a month you can get ingame music!

Good bye.

I mean this is the third time you've said goodbye so I hope you understand why I'm doubtful here

Good bye.
I think you're misinterpreting thier side of the argument. They aren't saying that they expected DD to be a polished AAA game or for it to be superior to Burnout, they're saying that it's over priced for what it is. That's a matter of personal opinion, and I like you am happy with the game for what it is, but, and this is a very big but, it does err on the side of expensive for what it is at the same time. That's likely to put a lot of people off buying it. Certainly there might be a sale in a few months and a load more people might buy it then, but it could have done with being £5-£10 cheaper at launch because it is expensive for what it is.

I could release a crap space shooter and for free it would probably entetain someone for about 10 seconds, but for £1 it would probably generate a complaint centred around it not being good enough for £1. There might be the odd person happy to spend £1 on a badly programmed generic space shooter, but there would be a lot more people who wouldn't be happy they were charged for that crap.

DD should not be free, it is far better than that, but it's not really a £25 game when you can pick up Paradise for less and Paradise is a better game. Also Burnout 3 is still very enjoyable if you can still play it. The graphics don't match DD but the gameplay is in tact.

DD has a lot of potential and if they get enough support, perhaps DD2 or DD3 will be the complete game that is worth £25 or perhaps even more should FTE survive long enough to get there. It is up to FTE to develop, market and price the game right to get there though, not for people to blindly pay for the game just because it's supporting a small developer. It has to be worth it but according to these guys (@Snorevette and @Silver Arrows) it isn't and who am I or you to say they're wrong. They represent a portion of the potential consumer base afterall.

I might like it, you might like it, and we might not be complaining about the price ourselves, but so far we represent just 50% of the potential consumer base engaged in this debate right now. That says something.

I hate EA as much as the next person, but frankly I couldn't give a toss if TFE goes under them again. Microtransactions are at least something I can ignore as I play; bland track design, janky handling physics, and the lack of a Custom Race mode at launch are issues that are a lot harder to look past. Hell, DD has microtransactions already; for just £10 a month you can get ingame music!

That's the hilarious part about some of the hand wringing with regards to where this thread has gone.

You know what, double post, but lets do a thought experiment here.

Lets say that this was just Joe Schmoe indie development studio making a racing game like what Dangerous Driving is. Say all traces of being a Burnout successor is stripped away, and what we're left with is a pretty typical indie racing game.

In that case, with what price point Dangerous Driving is at currently, I guarantee that most people would be labeling this as a waste of time and money and it'd basically fade into the background.

So with that out of the way, what difference does it make when we return the veneer of Burnout 3 into the equation?

Again, I'm not even expecting much with the angle of it being a Burnout successor. And yet TFE has basically done nothing to have confidence, in my eyes at least, to make me want to play the game and buy in at the price point it is currently at now, pre-release early bird price or launch day price.

It should be noted that I've basically played every major racing game released this generation on console, even titles from developers who's tricks and games I know and very much despise (Mainly, Milestone and Codemasters) so yeah, I've played a lot of racing games. Even in the cases of Milestone (who's titles are almost instantly dropped in price, or they were sold cheaper then most AAA games to begin with, as is the case with the Ride games and SLR Evo to an extent) and Codemasters (who's games are competently made at least, the problems lie with Codemasters as a studio which mirror the complaints from this very thread about EA, if I'm being honest) I'm able to see the positives.

I cannot see any positive from simply looking at videos of Dangerous Driving. It's not even like I can play a demo and see what it's about either, since demos, aside from a few isolated cases, have gone the way of the dodo. It's either ignore the game, or pay $40 CAD for a game that I know is nowhere near worth that. So of course I'm gonna ignore the game. And as I and Snorevette have been trying to say since the beginning, if that's what Three Fields wants to do, then frankly, it's going to be no surprise when they're shuttered in eight months time because nobody bought Dangerous Driving, even with what it's trying to be.

Frankly, yeah, my criticism isn't even really that scathing, and it's prefaced with the fact that I want DD and TFE to succeed, greatly. But i'm not going to simply just buy the game because it's a subpar effort trying to resurrect a series that I'm sure we all loved. I have higher standards then what TFE is setting with Dangerous Driving. The fact that I'm being basically guilt-tripped into buying the game with some frankly hilarious and unrelated hand-wringing about big bad EA is even richer.

Somewhat on topic, I guess, but is this game going to be reviewed on here?

So is this game any good or what? I’m a big fan of burnout. Favorite being 3 Takedown. Still not sure if I want to buy it though.
IMO it’s decent but quite flawed, if you are interested in it, wait for a sale.

Received a new update for Dangerous Driving recently (1.04) which finally adds online multiplayer to the game. More information can be found on Three Fields Entertainment's official website.
http://www.threefieldsentertainment.com/2019/05/26/online-play-in-dangerous-driving/

Have to say after playing it pre-update that the game is addicting and generally captures the spirit of Burnout 3 well, albeit fairly glitchy in places. Not sure if some of the glitches I've found so far have been fixed, but will have to find out for myself.

Back