Premium
United States
Mile High City
Here's the ride as purchased (1993 Red/Black NSX Manual):

img_3163-jpg.476772

img_3164-jpg.476773

I took apart the interior to do a little restoration

unnamed-jpg.512846

Here it is with new shoes (these are the stock rims from a 2002+ NSX which I think look better than stock for the '93)
IMG_20160425_154201.png

IMG_20160425_154226.png

Basically, the interior is back together the way it should be (carbon fiber stickers removed, OEM stereo restored, OEM shift knob restored, trim pieces restored). This isn't a very good shot, I'll have to get one in the light.

IMG_20160428_205106.png

Last edited:
Dan
I am not jealous. Nope. Totally not. Nope. Not jealous AT ALL.

:lol: I wanted to post absolutely the same thing. Word for word. :lol:

Danoff: :drool::drool::drool: (for your car obviously) VEry good move on taking the interior apart for cleaning, made the same and the difference is huge, even if most comes from conscious knowing it's clean underneath too 👍👍

Stunning. Love the fact you've kept it all stock. I think I'd have changed to the later rims too - great decision. 👍

:drool::drool::drool:

Dan took the words straight out of my mouth. That NSX is absoloute dream car material. Fantastic colour combo and I also really like the newer wheels. Stunning car 👍

I Will be following this thread with great interest! :D :gtplanet:

Beautiful. Don't you dare sell off the original wheels. I like both sets, but the originals are fantastic. I remember when these were selling for 20-25k in great condition...oh, I wish I was in the position I am in now back then.

Beautiful. Don't you dare sell off the original wheels.

Yea, they're in storage in my basement, and that's probably where they'll stay for the entire time I own the car. I wouldn't let them go.

The 2002+ rims have their own value. As the later model year NSXs go up in value and become more and more sought after for collection, people will be looking for those rims to replace the aftermarket ones that have been put on those cars. But it goes further, people like me who own pre-2002 NSXs will also continue to look for those rims to provide the updated but stock look. So I think those rims will retain their value as well or better than the originals for my car.

I remember when these were selling for 20-25k in great condition...oh, I wish I was in the position I am in now back then.

...that's why they're not going for that price anymore. ;) As the people who want the car have more and more money, the price goes up.

Will you be keeping it stock?

As much as possible. I'll actually be keeping it as original as possible. When I can restore and original part rather than replacing it I try to do so. For example, I'm having the engine bay cover fixed in a few weeks rather than replacing it. The floor mats are not stock or original right now, and I don't plan to fix that. There's also a list of broken stuff, some of which I'm not doing anything about - like the stereo. I could pay to have it rebuilt, but I'd rather listen to the engine.

Here's a list of stuff that I could fix but probably won't:

- Stereo doesn't work
- Antenna motor doesn't work (or so I've been told)
- Floor mats (mine are Zanardi style)
- Spare tire is missing
- Spare tire attachment bracket is missing
- Car phone is not connected
- Tires are not stock (you can't buy those anymore)

Stuff I put back to stock (either due to the original piece being broken, or having been replaced with aftermarket)
- Center console
- Gear shift knob
- Left and right door trim inserts
- Center console armrest
- Trunk and engine bay open-stay pistons
- Lug nuts
- Wheel studs
- Stereo (even though it's broken)
- Aspirator fan (maybe, not sure if I'll address this yet)
- I disconnected the cigarette lighter, because I figured it was just a liability
- Gauge cluster trim

Stuff that's broken that I'm still working on fixing
- Engine bay cover
- Keyless entry
- Window regulator switch
- Door dings
- oil leaks (this is being fixed as I type this)

There's companies which still manufacture parts for the NSX, right? Just like the ones for really old classic cars?

Dan
There's companies which still manufacture parts for the NSX, right? Just like the ones for really old classic cars?

There are tons of companies that manufacture aftermarket parts for it. Honda still manufactures some parts for it. Some parts are almost impossible to get. The passenger door trim, for example, cannot be bought. You have to buy it the wrong color and paint it, or restore the original by painting it.

There are tons of companies that manufacture aftermarket parts for it. Honda still manufactures some parts for it. Some parts are almost impossible to get. The passenger door trim, for example, cannot be bought. You have to buy it the wrong color and paint it, or restore the original by painting it.

Hmm. That's strange. Why don't they produce specific parts like that, but take care of other things?

Dan
Hmm. That's strange. Why don't they produce specific parts like that, but take care of other things?

Honda is in the process (currently) of slowly discontinuing parts that don't get requested. I think after a while when demand is high enough folks will start offering some of those parts. For now, mostly the aftermarket guys are focused on performance enhancement parts - or things that people want to make their cars unique.

Dan

Honda is in the process (currently) of slowly discontinuing parts that don't get requested. I think after a while when demand is high enough folks will start offering some of those parts. For now, mostly the aftermarket guys are focused on performance enhancement parts - or things that people want to make their cars unique.

This is the case for essentially all manufacturers and all vehicles, if it makes you feel any better. The more obscure and specialized the part, the less likely it is to be available as an OEM part. If the part is still in use for decades (filters, washers, bolts, et al) then naturally, there's no difficulty.

Bespoke trim pieces are usually the first things to go out of production, and there's little demand for that kind of thing. Engine stuff is more likely to wind up aftermarket, since there's more demand to keep something running. The rule is of thumb is 10-15 years until obsolescence, or eBay.

Also, nice car! 👍

Last edited:
Dan

From experience with my Miata... any trim which isn't a standard part over most of the production life is hard to get. In my case it was a very limited trim and, due to the age of my car, the spares bin had long been empty.

Back