Data Leak Reveals GT Sport Sold 12.7 Million Copies, Generating $355M in Revenue

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 49 comments
Good job for the worst GT game in the franchise.

Man! Drive Club, what an amazing game it was. Congratulations to Evolution (Codemasters people) and what a bad move for Sony :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, the games are selling more, but how much more do they cost to make. Also the video game market is just bigger so more consoles are out there.
a reminder that GT6 sold measly 6 million copies when the PS3 was on the tail end.Costs are higher but 10 million is still a impressive number for any AAA studio

i played a custom race on flat over the weekend…its a good game. I still have my psvr1 and actually like the lewis Hamilton challenge (even though i think it was his brother who set those times)

I don't think anyone was expecting it to sell as much, given its esports focus.
Probably why PD is focusing more on the sport side of GT7 and kind of forgot about the single player side. For all the complaints it seems like there is a large player base that only cares for the online sport aspect.

Probably why PD is focusing more on the sport side of GT7 and kind of forgot about the single player side. For all the complaints it seems like there is a large player base that only cares for the online sport aspect.
GT is also one of the few Sony GAAS games that actually works.Sony is going big into GAAS and GT7 is probably one of their biggest efforts right now,that could also explain the MTX in gt7

I do kind of wonder if there is data on how many hours on average a user played each game in the leak. I wouldn't be surprised if GT Sport has the lowest average play time given that there isn't really a story and campaign races were added later
35% of players played less than 100 km. (source on K')
I still would loooooove to see an accurate % on users who play online i.e. Sport mode vs the people who focus on offline i.e. "Career". I'd like to think only a small % plays Sport.
Given the sample size, K' data are (ultra) accurate, particularly on binary questions like this, so we have the answer: 15% (source on K')
Note: number is down from 25% in May 2008 when I first polled the data, which indicates an evolution of the kind of players that started playing the game over the year.

Last edited:
It's a solid game that I keep going back to, but after completing the menu books not a ton for me to do. Not into competitive multiplayer so much. Still, I think the movie and the disappointing Forza Motorsport made people appreciate the game more.

Last edited:
I think it's also worth considering the sales of the consoles each game was available for, since if a console sells more, there are more people who could potentially buy the game. If we rank the games based on games sold per consoles sold, they would be ranked as follows (unless I miscalculated):
  1. GT5: ~137,000 games sold per every million consoles sold
  2. GT Sport: ~127,000 (with "sell-in" console sales data from June 2019)
  3. GT1: ~106,000
  4. GT3: ~96,000
  5. GT2: ~91,000
  6. GT4: ~76,000
  7. GT6: ~60,000

Last edited:
If Sony hadn't closed down Evo Studios & let them make a Driveclub 2, i would've bought a PS5 by now.

It certainly wasn't perfect & had it's issues especially to start with but it was in my top 3 favourite PS4 games & just so much fun.

I’m surprised it sold that much, I’d be interested to see some player retention numbers too. I loved GTS but I know a lot of people were disappointed and probably didn’t put much time into it as a result.

Last edited:
Gow Ragnarok a huge sucess for Sony first party sold close to 20 million copies.Last of Us 2 another big sucess sold a bit over 10 million.What Sony considers a sucess matters here.Nintendo is a point off the curve where people who buy a switch immedietly buy a Mario or Zelda.
Yes, the industry is huge and selling 12 million copies to a market with "1 billion consoles" could be argued would be a disappointment, until make 355 million dollars in sales.

Do you see players that doesn't have a PSN or PS+

Yes, the industry is huge and selling 12 million copies to a market with "1 billion consoles" could be argued would be a disappointment, until make 355 million dollars in sales.
1 billion of consoles where and when? Ahah console markets it is not that huge…like at all ahah

This is not related. GT Sport creates an online profile for every player, PS+ user or not.
Whats the data curve on people who have like.. Played Sport mode a handful of times (low rank/low race count etc) vs those with a lot of time with it? Would that cut that 15% even lower? Or does that already account for it? And also, where would you personally draw that line between someone who genuinely participates in it vs those who have just sampled it?

And is this data GT Sport and GT7 combined? Can you separate those?

I played GT Sport a fair bit online in the first handful of months and ranked high I think, playing it almost every day. After I fell off, I never really played Sport mode after that. GT7 I've done it maybe a few times I can remember.

@Jordan
12.7 Millions? We reached that number in GT Sport profile generation only two years later, in March 2021 :odd:
About this, I have no clue where that pic with the March 2019 came from (I've personally not seen it in the leaked data) but it's just not correct. This is also from the leak as of January 2020:

image.png

As you can see, it's at 8.252m right there. The entire excel sheet the 12.7m came from is dated at one week before GT7's launch as mentioned in the article - it would make far more sense that all the data from it is from that same time period.

Back