Davis's Cars - I bought a Honda with a stupid wing

• Thread starter Davis
  • 299 comments
United States
Salt Lake City
Ferraridude308

Welcome to my car thread! Click here for the 944.

I present to GTP my MINI Cooper S Monte Carlo 40th Anniversary Edition!

current picture:
21745294076_c815c93911_h.jpg

original picture:
13828924035_6d794ae189_h.jpg

A $7000 package, the MC40 kit includes:
Chili Red body/White roof, Mini Cooper S sport package,
17-inch anthracite cross-spoke wheels (BBS R90),
Dynamic Stability Control, driving lights, 3-spoke leather sport
steering wheel, front and rear fog lights, Xenon headlamps with
power washers, chrome side mirrors and exterior details,
commemorative "Rallye Monte Carlo'' decals, GB badge,
replica "33EJB'' number plate decal, magnetic #37 door numbers,
carbon fiber dashboard, matte chrome shift knob with MC40
pattern, auxiliary gauges, on-board computer, special red and
black leather rallye seats, individually-numbered commemorative
plaque with Paddy Hopkirk's signature.
The day I brought it home:
O6KFEAJ.jpg

3 of the wheels were bent and chewed up, I got those refinished & fitted with a new set of all season Bridgestone tires.
FvVqHeo.jpg

The brake light was on when I bought it, so I replaced the stock brake kit with some nice Brembo rotors and some new pads as well.
hdQp6cF.jpg

0CA1l0b.jpg

List of things done:
  • Refinished wheels
  • New Tires
  • New Brembo brakes and rotors
  • Fixed valve cover gasket leak
  • Stratmosphere catback exhaust
  • Detroit Tuned bypass valve
  • Foglight covers
  • "MC40" Vanity plate
  • 15% Pulley (not on yet)
  • Helix Air Intake
  • Stubby Antenna
  • Vibratechnics Upper Engine Mount
  • Vibratechnics Lower Engine Mount
  • 19mm H-sport Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
  • Tinted Side Marker Lights
  • MC40 Valve Stem Caps
  • M7 Progressive Springs
  • WMW Coolant Overflow Tank
15507724392_a7486d5726_b.jpg

Last edited:
Gah, I just love that Mini! I didn't even realise it was a special edition :lol:. Shame that it was only sold in North America, I'd love to have one and make it look even more like the original rally Mini. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates in this thread! 👍

Nice mate

Mini's S are awesome little toys and a track car without need to mod too much.

@Katie : We got the JCW edition, which are very special too

Number-cards... well now you have to race it :sly:

That's a nice red though!, and the OEM supercharger does make them quite fun (ask me how I know)

...I'd love to have one and make it look even more like the original rally Mini.

009_race.jpg

I've got a set of Monte Carlo stickers too. :indiff: Although a bright red Mini with numbers & stickers on it isn't exactly the most inconspicuous thing on the road, so I don't think I'll put them on.

Number-cards... well now you have to race it :sly:

That's a nice red though!, and the OEM supercharger does make them quite fun (ask me how I know)

I've driven it up through my local canyons, I think that's the closest I'm ever gonna get to racing it.

How do you know?

And thanks for all the nice replies everyone. 👍

Last edited:
OqPCxap.jpg

The weather was perfect today, so I went on an 1.5 hour drive through my local canyons. It was tons of fun until I got stuck behind a Sienna going 5 under. :banghead: The picture is at the top of a mountain at a stopping point, I would have gotten out and taken a pretty picture if there were any places to park.

Lovely little car. Somewhere I have a test in an old car mag (I think it's an issue of Auto Express) between one of these and a late-model original Mini painted in Monte Carlo colours - I'll have to dig it out and post it here.

The only thing that has ever bothered me about these MINIs is the seats - the leather on them looks really cheap and vinyl-like. I'd be changing them to a decent set of buckets, which would have the added benefit of looking even more like a rally car.

This car also reminds me of how much better these look than the MINI they've just released. The design is so much more cohesive it isn't even funny.

(I'd also just add how jealous I am that you're based in SLC - there are so many great driving roads within your radius, and Bonneville isn't exactly too far either...)

Lovely little car. Somewhere I have a test in an old car mag (I think it's an issue of Auto Express) between one of these and a late-model original Mini painted in Monte Carlo colours - I'll have to dig it out and post it here.

I'd love to see it. :D
The only thing that has ever bothered me about these MINIs is the seats - the leather on them looks really cheap and vinyl-like. I'd be changing them to a decent set of buckets, which would have the added benefit of looking even more like a rally car.

Yeah the leather isn't phenomenal in it. At first I thought it was just because it was dry, but after conditioning it multiple times with Gliptone they don't feel soft like leather. Most of the Minis are actually leatherette, but considering the 7k premium to get one of these new, I thought BMW would have stepped it up.
This car also reminds me of how much better these look than the MINI they've just released. The design is so much more cohesive it isn't even funny.
CGfdY7a.jpg

Saw this picture the other day... they just keep making these things bigger, fatter, and "cuter." The new release made me appreciate my car even more. :P

(I'd also just add how jealous I am that you're based in SLC - there are so many great driving roads within your radius, and Bonneville isn't exactly too far either...)

I love that my favorite roads are nothing more than a 20 minute drive down the freeway. Only problem is that they're closed during our dreadful winters. 👎

Double post. :D

Spent the last 3 hours working on getting the exhaust & bypass valve done and reflashed the ECU.

Sorry for the crappy picture, best I could get with a dirty car and total darkness.

WHT3tQN.jpg

This one was taken earlier. Size comparison of New/Old.

8bmpY9t.jpg

I don't have any pictures of it, but the bypass valve works wonders with throttle response. About $1400 in all, definitely worth it.

zbmhGS1.jpg

Freezing rain is the worst. Got stuck in the driveway on a sheet of ice. Winter tires came a day late, finally got them mounted tonight, just not in time for the 🤬 freezing rain. :indiff:
QuVFvFC.jpg

Pirelli Sottozeros. Mounted on the winter wheels.

That's awesome man. The mc40's are super rare. My previous car was an 06 MCS. British racing green with beige leather and a stock limited slip. Only FWD car I really love.

That's awesome man. The mc40's are super rare. My previous car was an 06 MCS. British racing green with beige leather and a stock limited slip. Only FWD car I really love.
That color set sounds awesome, BRG is one of my favorites and that beige is almost as rare as the MC40 it seems sometimes. To be honest, it's the only FWD car I love too. :lol:

Nothing new really, Zyla pointed out a new road for me to try. It was amazing, I rate it a 100000/10. I took some pictures while I was there, figured I'd might as well post them here.

12142180034_e46c02cf7f_h.jpg

And because I've completely neglected to snap a good picture of my exhaust system:
12142185804_1796f7c45b_h.jpg

12141781075_f75a9c1e07_b.jpg

12142013673_9682f54426_b.jpg

I was screwing around on Google Streetview and wondered if I could find my car without an address. After stumbling around random neighborhoods for about half an hour, I found it. Back from 2011. Sad thing is that it doesn't look like it's been garaged... :scared:
RSy6SDw.png

Back