Death Of The G25 Power Shift

  • Thread starter Thread starter deadlyz33
  • 115 comments
  • 8,301 views
I thought I felt a difference after the update came!

First I thought it was my G25 that was singing it's last song, but now I am relieved to see that others are experiencing the same thing.
And yes, it is irritating that a slight touch on the throttle makes you mis-shift! I especially tend to mis-shift from first to second. Loose a lot of time with that!
 
am'I missing some configuration on the options menu? Because my G25 Clutch pedal doesn't work at all, if I'am pressing the gas pedal and simultaneously press the clutch pedal nothing happens, shouldn't the engine start to rev up and the car stop to accelerate ? And I can shift with the gas pedal fully pressed.
 
You have to press the triangle button for about 1-2 seconds at the beginning of every race to make the clutch pedal work.
 
You only need to press the triangle button once after the race has started. Holding the button is not necessary.
 
Well, PD's / Logitech's implementation of the clutch was so bad in the first place that it was pretty horrible to use. A clutch is more than just an "on / off" switch. I enjoyed driving with the 6-speed shifter and clutch, but even before the update it had a detrimental effect on my lap-times, not a beneficial one.
 
when you have the full game you will be able to buy a lighter flywheel for your S2K.

However, it looks like QTS system is working out for tuning.
You could be on to something still though. If they reduce the effects as you upgrade your clutch and transmission, then it would be pretty cool.

If the QTS system stays, maybe they will incorporate some kind of upgrade system that increases your PP limit under the QTS screen that could allow us to still use the Quick Tune System along with still having the upgrade.
 
Didn't know this since I don't own a G25 yet. I think I'll wait to get one until they've fixed this back..
 
It's been suggested before, but I think PD couldn't care less about G25 users. They're more interested in people buying the Driving Force GT wheel.

Personally I don't mind when people with a 250 euro wheel have an advantage over me using my standard Sixaxis controller. I think it's only logical, ofcourse you're going to do better with better equipment. You also have an advantage when using a 1080p TV over a non-HD TV. Makes no difference to me.

That said: how hard could it be to give the controller users a clutch key as well? Not that I'll use it, but it should be an option.
 
Im currently upgrading from GT5P Japanese version & PS3 Controller --> G25 & English version. As you can gather by my psn username, im all about drifting! And as your probably all aware, powershifting, or atleast a bit of throttle on during gearshifts (especially in underpowered cars) is part of the fun!
I personally dont think ill upgrade the game, so I can powershift etc This 'downgrade' of realism is a big mistake in my mind. Just because its not good for the cars doesnt mean we drivers dont want to do it! Thats why we play games and thrash cars to within inches of their engines lives so we dont have to do it (well quite as much :P) in real life!
 
Im currently upgrading from GT5P Japanese version & PS3 Controller --> G25 & English version. As you can gather by my psn username, im all about drifting! And as your probably all aware, powershifting, or atleast a bit of throttle on during gearshifts (especially in underpowered cars) is part of the fun!
I personally dont think ill upgrade the game, so I can powershift etc This 'downgrade' of realism is a big mistake in my mind. Just because its not good for the cars doesnt mean we drivers dont want to do it! Thats why we play games and thrash cars to within inches of their engines lives so we dont have to do it (well quite as much :P) in real life!

I agree.

I beat the **** out of my 350z clutch. I can't wait until it goes so I can buy an aftermarket clutch and flywheel package.
Edit: BTW You can beat the crap out of your clutch during an entire race but unless it is under-spec'ed (as in rated for less power than you are running) then you wont destroy your clutch unless your doing endurance races. 10 laps would be nothing power-shifting every shift if you have a triple carbon clutch and only 600hp.
 
Last edited:
Im currently upgrading from GT5P Japanese version & PS3 Controller --> G25 & English version. As you can gather by my psn username, im all about drifting! And as your probably all aware, powershifting, or atleast a bit of throttle on during gearshifts (especially in underpowered cars) is part of the fun!
I personally dont think ill upgrade the game, so I can powershift etc This 'downgrade' of realism is a big mistake in my mind. Just because its not good for the cars doesnt mean we drivers dont want to do it! Thats why we play games and thrash cars to within inches of their engines lives so we dont have to do it (well quite as much :P) in real life!

Very well said , The change was pointless i mean wtf isnt this supposed to be the real driving simulator?
 
Edit: BTW You can beat the crap out of your clutch during an entire race but unless it is under-spec'ed (as in rated for less power than you are running) then you wont destroy your clutch unless your doing endurance races. .


Actually much of the problem with standard clutches in sprint races is not destroying them but rather overheating them, my current clutch I have overheated many times (engine not standard though the clutch is :indiff: ), has lasted a very long time though.
 
Last edited:
Actually much of the problem with standard clutches in sprint races is not destroying them but rather overheating them, my current clutch I have overheated many times (engine not standard though the clutch is :indiff: ), has lasted a very long time though.

Note that while this is bad for the clutch, it is also bad for the synchronizers in your transmission. (Or, if you've already destroyed your synchronizers, then it's bad for you gears!). Generally, if you care about a car this isn't something you do to it.
 
Just let go of the accelerator while shifting. You got a G25 to drive as close to the real thing as possible, so drive like most drivers in circuit racing do. If you want to shift like that you dont even need a clutch pedal, just an On/Off button.
 
Did flat shifting in the game really have a big advantage? How?

Also, I found in the game that dumping the clutch while still on the throttle jumped the rev's like it would in real life, but does not really help with gathering speed and rev's?
 
It's been suggested before, but I think PD couldn't care less about G25 users. They're more interested in people buying the Driving Force GT wheel.

Personally I don't mind when people with a 250 euro wheel have an advantage over me using my standard Sixaxis controller. I think it's only logical, ofcourse you're going to do better with better equipment. You also have an advantage when using a 1080p TV over a non-HD TV. Makes no difference to me.

That said: how hard could it be to give the controller users a clutch key as well? Not that I'll use it, but it should be an option.

I think this is exactly the case. PD is behind the DFGT wheel and G25 users can take a hike. Not fair. If someone wants to pay the money for the G25, they should not be penalized because some choose another type.

With that thinking they might as well have only 1 car in GT5 so everyone is equal.
 
Note that while this is bad for the clutch, it is also bad for the synchronizers in your transmission. (Or, if you've already destroyed your synchronizers, then it's bad for you gears!). Generally, if you care about a car this isn't something you do to it.

Not all cars have fragile syncros. That isn't always an issue.

And ViperGTSR, you are correct. I didn't get into the specifics but beating on your clutch and overheating it will indeed cause it to glaze over and become slippery. At that point you have to take it out and resurface it.

I'd love for GT5 to simulate the clutch's wear, making your replace them depending on how long you make it last.
 
Gran Turismo is meant to be a simulator, and they take some aspects of realism from the G25?

I noticed some mention of shifting with the clutch being faster than the paddle, how can this be?
 
Sometimes to much realism isn't fun. After all there are some players that don't have all the skills and knowledge that we do. So basically they have to cut corners to make the game fun for everybody. Remember it's just a game but even though it's a SIM doesn't necessarily have to be "SO DARN REAL". That's how Developers think and I think most people will say the same thing.
 
you know, PD could of just added a clutch button to the controller like EA did with prostreet.

im not sure how this would fly with driving force users though. a USB clutch add-on?
 
Gran Turismo is meant to be a simulator, and they take some aspects of realism from the G25?

I noticed some mention of shifting with the clutch being faster than the paddle, how can this be?

I know right...how can that be? I guess I will have to see for myself since I've just received my G25 yesterday. Can't wait to move in to my new place this saturday.
 
ive just disabled the clutch all together and try to stay away from the granny shifting cars. It just makes more sense. The benefit vs the increased chance in a mis shift is usually not worth it. One mis shift (because u didn't completely lift your foot) can destroy a laps progress and most tuned cars shift just as fast if not faster than with clutch.Also a mis shift in real life doesn't take nearly as long to recover from.

As for drifting (which i practice the most) it stings the worst. No shifting while wheels are spinning?! Forced to drop throttle completely mid drift just to shift?? I've actually had to shorten a few cars gears to make sure i have enough torque low end.

if the change came because of online whining then why are these changes not only for online races?

Also if this is a realism change as most have mentioned (lack of imo)wouldn't most drift courses do the same if not more damage to a motor/tranny that power shifting is claimed to do?!
 
Note that while this is bad for the clutch, it is also bad for the synchronizers in your transmission. (Or, if you've already destroyed your synchronizers, then it's bad for you gears!). Generally, if you care about a car this isn't something you do to it.

Your right, powershifting is very bad for the synchro's. (though my over heating clutch was not due to powershifting)


I'd love for GT5 to simulate the clutch's wear, making your replace them depending on how long you make it last.


Same, infact I would even like to wear and break the gearbox and the rest of drivetrain too.


I noticed some mention of shifting with the clutch being faster than the paddle, how can this be?

Depends on the car, and depends how GT5P autoshifts (still manually choosing gears but rather auto clutch and auto throttle lift off), on the F430 and R35 GTR the shifting is quick (GTR can't use clutch anyway) but on other cars where GT granny shifts when you select the next gear you can shift faster using the clutch and doing it yourself, even without powershifting.

As for drifting (which i practice the most) it stings the worst. No shifting while wheels are spinning?! Forced to drop throttle completely mid drift just to shift?? I've actually had to shorten a few cars gears to make sure i have enough torque low end.

Yep that is the worst part. :indiff:
 
Last edited:
Good discussion, this thread got more attention than I expected, glad i'm not the only one truely disappointed by how PD handled this.
 
I believe Poly do take a gander at these boards?

Maybe when they are thinking of removing a feature like this one that seems to cause negative effect with peoples gaming experience, they should come on here and ask for suggestions etc.

I know it won't happen, but it would be nice :)
 
ive just disabled the clutch all together and try to stay away from the granny shifting cars. It just makes more sense. The benefit vs the increased chance in a mis shift is usually not worth it. One mis shift (because u didn't completely lift your foot) can destroy a laps progress and most tuned cars shift just as fast if not faster than with clutch.Also a mis shift in real life doesn't take nearly as long to recover from.

As for drifting (which i practice the most) it stings the worst. No shifting while wheels are spinning?! Forced to drop throttle completely mid drift just to shift?? I've actually had to shorten a few cars gears to make sure i have enough torque low end.

if the change came because of online whining then why are these changes not only for online races?

Also if this is a realism change as most have mentioned (lack of imo)wouldn't most drift courses do the same if not more damage to a motor/tranny that power shifting is claimed to do?!


No shifting while wheels are spinning!!?? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE PD!!??? So just as I buy a G25 for some serious drifting, it appears what realism that did exist regarding drifiting is gone! Maaaan! Im definitely not going to update gt5p when I get it...but this also means no new cars or online..... aagghhhh!
 
No shifting while wheels are spinning!!?? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE PD!!??? So just as I buy a G25 for some serious drifting, it appears what realism that did exist regarding drifiting is gone! Maaaan! Im definitely not going to update gt5p when I get it...but this also means no new cars or online..... aagghhhh!

A little wheelspin is ok, but if you have heavy wheelspin (like during a powerful drift) you can't shift until the wheels have slowed :indiff:.
 
After reading this thread I am glad that I purchased the the New DFP steering wheel and not the G25. I feel sorry for those of you that spent so much money for this steering wheel. I hope that PD updates their game, it might suck for those without the wheel but try driving a car with a controller of course it is a disadvantage. For those that spend the extra cash for a steering wheel there should be some advantages IMHO.

-Nate
 
Damn i cant correct play with cluth right now! Its very bad now i just cant play without clutch and it is full s...! :(
sorry for bad eng!
 
Back