Deep Thoughts

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,019 comments
danoff
Rarely do I watch anything I don't want to. But if I do, it's because I'm willing to make the trade voluntarily.

Nothing against you (cause you're reasonable), but thats how people are. They want it NOW.

kylehnat
To that end, was TiVo really sent from the heavens, or is it just a dream come true? :) Ponder that one, philosophers!

:lol: Sometimes it feels like TiVo came from God himself as it is fairly miraculous. But in the back of my mind I know that TiVo came from greedy CEOs and Engineers who wanted my money, and I gladly give it to them in exchange.

HACKr
Nothing against you (cause you're reasonable), but thats how people are. They want it NOW.

Almost everything I watch on television is a day late so that I can skip the commercials. Only news and sports need to be live, and even there there's some wiggle room. I'll often watch sports on a 30 minute delay. My point is the this customization in my television watching came from greedy CEOs, thank god for them.

And the TiVo is OK, because it's not false or anything, and it's handy to those busy, but you can still subtly get a mindset that you get what you want NOW.

That reminds me, I need a TiVo, and I want it NOW.........

Nothing happened. Do you have to buy the TiVo first? Damn.

If brain transplants were possible, would you have the donors memories, or the capacity to remember them?

Would be theoretically posssible, but then theoretically you'd wake up thinking you were the donor. Or somthing like that. Your brain is your memory and personality, if you replaced your with someone elses your replacing your memory and personality.

Can someone with professional qualifications still refer to themselves as such if they officially change their name, even though the qualifications are in the former names?

For example, can Dr. Raymond Luxury-Yacht call himself Dr. Raymond Luxury-Yacht if his MD/DM was gained with his original name, Nigel Dullard?

^ I thought the name on the honours changes with the name?

Why do we have the adrenaline hormone?

So you'd have to send off to the awarding university for a new certificate?

ultrabeat
Why do we have the adrenaline hormone?

To make us forget everything, all pain, all weariness, everything else in the world, and force our bodies to concentrate entirely on muscles so we can run away from that mountain lion bearing down on us.

Famine
Probably, but a qualification or an award is given to the person, not the name, so if you change your name you still keep all honours and qualifications and achievments ect.

Touring Mars
You touch upon the fact that there are two sorts of answers to questions or issues that may perplex us... the first sort is the 'easy answer', also known as the 'pulled out of fresh air' answer, or the 'made-up' answer (i.e. almost always the wrong answer)...
A logical fallacy:
Add hoc, ergo propter hoc.

the second type of answer is one that is based on research - testing, experiment, evidence, reference and cross-reference... these answers are much harder to come by, but much more satisfying and useful to the human race...

Logic.

Famine

I suppose you would.

danoff
To make us forget everything, all pain, all weariness, everything else in the world, and force our bodies to concentrate entirely on muscles so we can run away from that mountain lion bearing down on us.

:scared:

Ridicule vs. Ridiculous. Why are they pronounced so differently?
Courage vs. Courageous why the long a in one but not the other.
Recognition vs. Cognition why not pronounce it Re-Cognition, what's with the e being different?

Illustrate, Illustrious, Luster should all have the same emphasis

Snortin Norton
Why should they? Each prefix or suffix emphasises a slightly different meaning.

Because it would simplify our language. With the changes in pronunciation it's much more difficult to figure out where words come from or how they should be pronounced. Granted, the example I'm showing below should have a long a because of the addition of the i after only one consonant, but mentality could be spelled mentallity and then we could pronounce it the same.

Imagine how much it would simply the english language if these weren't completely different words, but instead one root word and a suffix. You'd need to learn the suffix and the root word and that's it. You'd get all the permutations. Language is fundamentally about communication. Pronouncing the two word below differently is not, it's obfuscation.

Mental vs. Mentality

Language can evoke many deep thoughts. For instance, every word in the English language (or any language), had to be used for the first time by someone. Does this mean that they got to make up words, and as long as they could explain it to others, it would stick?

kylehnat
Language can evoke many deep thoughts. For instance, every word in the English language (or any language), had to be used for the first time by someone. Does this mean that they got to make up words, and as long as they could explain it to others, it would stick?

Yes. Look up "bouncebackability".

Why does one say "love thy neighbour", then steal his guns and shoot him? (Or someone else)

Or, conversely, go to an NRA meeting and then preach love thy neighbour?

i have one. me and my friends thought about this.

What if what I saw as orange, is what you saw as green? So to speak.

i know that some colours stick out more to the human eye than others, but i think it has more to do with the shades of the certain color.

So what If to you, what you were seeing in your brain was normal, but was my abnormal? Like if you saw green apples, I would see them as "my green" which is actually "your" organge. get what im saying?

how do people eat so much food at food eating contests? i can barely finish one pie let alone enter a pie eating contest.

What happens to pennies and french fries that get lost down in my couch? do they travel to another dimension?

if i sit too close to the TV screen for too long, will i go blind? or does that only happen when you masturbate?

how much longer do you think the US$ penny (.01) is going to last?

What if there was NO life? What if all out universe was made of big giant balls in space? you cant even wrap your mind around it. And what is big anyway? Im sure to an ant we are HUUUUGe, just like the earth is HUUUGE to me. What if there is something out there that views earth like a marble?

if a tree falls down and there is no one around to hear it, does anyone care?

Where does creativity come from?

What if the world had no music?

Where exactly does my lawn end and my neighboors begins?

Just what the heck is Jello? Like jeff foxworthy said, you can freeze ice and itll melt on its own, but not jello. What the?

What is a FAD? what makes something that was so un-cool become cool? Does someone REALLY hot have to be wearing somethign so stupid to make others want to wear it? Then why do we look back on it as stupid 10 years later?

What exactly is mystery meat?

Why does it seem that you can dream of every single scenario of life before it happens?

if dogs seem to understand their name, what else can they understand?

sicbeing-- Jello is made of gelatin, which is made of ground-up animal (I think usually cow) bones and sinew. Of course, its mixed in with flavoring and coloring, then heated and cooled to achieve its bounciness.

Thats why I prefer Chinese Jello (not its real name), made of a type of seaweed. Same method. Not as disgusting. And Im a vegeterian.

Fries and pennies? Well fries I dont know. Pennies I usually find, either with a vacuum or while Im throwing off cushions in search of the damned remote.

Some people just eat a lot. I used to eat up to 5 big bowls of stuff every meal, and I wasnt too fat. Only 160 lb. Now I eat 1--2 bowls a meal and Im only 150. I bet I could eat a few pies, but Id get a big stomachache... :yuck:

If you sit near the TV screen too long you wont be blind but your eyes will hurt until you fall asleep. I dont go blind when I masturbate, but I would not like to talk about that.

Sakiale
sicbeing-- Jello is made of gelatin, which is made of ground-up animal (I think usually cow) bones and sinew. Of course, its mixed in with flavoring and coloring, then heated and cooled to achieve its bounciness.

Thats why I prefer Chinese Jello (not its real name), made of a type of seaweed. Same method. Not as disgusting. And Im a vegeterian.

Wiki
Gelatin [...] is created by prolonged boiling of animal skin, connective tissue or bones.

Gelatin is a protein product produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from skin, bones, cartilage, ligaments, etc. Gelatin melts when heated and solidifies when cooled again.

On a commercial scale, gelatin is made from by-products of the meat and leather industry, mainly pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides. Contrary to popular belief, horns and hooves are not commonly used.

Vegetarians and vegans may substitute similar gelling agents such as agar, pectin, or konnyaku sometimes referred to as "vegetable gelatins" although there is no chemical relationship; [...] There is no vegetable source for gelatin.

Other:

# Gelatin is closely related to bone glue and is used as a binder in match heads and sandpaper.
# Cosmetics may contain a non-gelling variant of gelatin under the name "hydrolyzed collagen".
# As a surface sizing it smoothes glossy printing papers or playing cards and maintains the wrinkles in crepe paper.
#Blocks of ballistic gelatin simulate human tissue as a standardized shooting target for testing firearms and ammunition.

Yay!

Back