Defecting to Forza...

• Thread starter Ske
  • 50 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, what you said was, when GT5 came out it will be better than FM2. But I said when it comes out, i really dont think anything Turn10 develops for the xbox will be able to touch it. Period. Seeing how 360 is limited to what, like 8 gigs MAX for dvd while GT5+ will be based on Blueray which holds a minimum of 25 gigs for a single layer disk. That alone leaves TONS of room for QUALITY work. Yes, it might take a little longer to develop because *gasp* they have more space to work with. About 3x as much actually.

And you base this on what - two trailers that show 16 cars on Suzuka with no in-game sound, standard paintwork and only promises (thus far) of better AI and online capabilities? It's a rather stupid statement to make so early in the PS3 and 360's lifespan....

Suzuki
Fanboyism, no. i would rather play a game that is more geared towards Quality, rather than "Lets see how many Forzas we can make while GT is being made." I have played FM1 and FM2, and I feel not much has really changed. Things are slightly better, but nothing that I am thrilled about to be honest. Plus the fact that M$ is all uptight about not being able to share wheels that are made for Pc/PS2 that are TONS better than what M$ can come up with.

So you think everything thus far in the Gran Turismo franchise has been better in terms of quality than Forza? Does this include the sounds, AI, online, tire physics, damage and customisation options?

Ske
I'd still rather have something for the next 2-3 years... as per usual for PSx games, the PAL release will be at least another 6 months after the NA release. Now that's 2 years from now, at least.. I too want a quality product... but I don't have the patience to twiddle my thumbs for 2+ years waiting for it.

That's my whole point... I'd rather have GT5 than forza 2, but forza exists and GT5 just doesn't. Oh and did I mention that the PS3 is more than $1000 over here with no plans of a dropping the price?

That's funny there was a drop in price here....499 for 60 gb now....that's about what you paid for 360...minus hd dvd add on wireless add on...live subscription....2 plus years for gt5? I don't know where your getting your info but latest I heard was early 08...which is only half a year away....and besides gt5 prologue in October...thats what 3 months away...well have fun with fm2...I'll wait for prologue...and gthd while I wait for that....Nothing out new for ps perhaps....but my console can stay on for over 90 min....redlight of what? Have fun buying another console....wouldn't you have saved more just buying the right one to start out with?

Ah... This thread brings a lot of PS3 players here.

Have fun with Forza. I only race in Forza 2 because drifting is easy. Many people don't race. They only make some awesome replica/decals and sell it to the Auction House. I love it

....2 plus years for gt5? I don't know where your getting your info but latest I heard was early 08...which is only half a year away....and besides gt5 prologue in October...thats what 3 months away...

Please don't tell us you're believing this schedule.
First of all, if GT5 is scheduled for early 2008, there's no point in releasing a Prologue in october, only half a year before. They would better put all their effort on releasing GT5 before Christmas.
I'm confident GT5 will be released short before Christmas 2008 in Japan and in the US, perhaps even in early 2009 for Europe.
May I remind you that in September 2003, GT4 was still said to be released in December 2003... It actually hit Europe in March 2005.

I will buy a PS3 when GT5 is released, if it includes online racing, car damage and more realistic AI. But since I don't expect this to happen within the next 18 months, I bought an Xbox 360 and Forza 2 to keep me racing meanwhile. It seems to me the smart thing to do, rather than sticking to 2.5 years old GT4 or using the one-track only GT:HD.

And you base this on what - two trailers that show 16 cars on Suzuka with no in-game sound, standard paintwork and only promises (thus far) of better AI and online capabilities? It's a rather stupid statement to make so early in the PS3 and 360's lifespan....
No, it's not a stupid comment. I was comparing PS3 hardware specs to 360. And PS3 has so much more available diskspace to work with than 360. 25 gig is for a SINGLE layer disk. When multi layers come out, it will be at LEAST 25 gigs per layer. You know what that means right? It means Kaz wll be able to make the GT franchise look more like he has always wanted. Which makes me really doubt that anyone will be able to be on the same "level" as it will be, esp if they are 360 only console.

So you think everything thus far in the Gran Turismo franchise has been better in terms of quality than Forza? Does this include the sounds, AI, online, tire physics, damage and customisation options?
If i wanted the *best* sounds, AI, online, tire physics, and damage i would go play LFS, RFactor or GTR. I am not impressed with FM2's paintshop at all. Nor am i impressed with the AI or online play. AI is a little better than GT4's, yes. But they are still supid. Cant play online because everyone who is online is a noob that goes and crashes everyone. I am ok with the online play on GT4. Little bit of hassel, yes but it is worth it. FM2 damage is wack, it just doesnt seem realistic when you bearly get rearended and your engine turns red. I guess you could think thats realistic if you dont know anything about cars besides where to put the gas in at. If you want awesome customization then go play NFS.

Please don't tell us you're believing this schedule.
First of all, if GT5 is scheduled for early 2008, there's no point in releasing a Prologue in october, only half a year before. They would better put all their effort on releasing GT5 before Christmas.
I'm confident GT5 will be released short before Christmas 2008 in Japan and in the US, perhaps even in early 2009 for Europe.
May I remind you that in September 2003, GT4 was still said to be released in December 2003... It actually hit Europe in March 2005.

I will buy a PS3 when GT5 is released, if it includes online racing, car damage and more realistic AI. But since I don't expect this to happen within the next 18 months, I bought an Xbox 360 and Forza 2 to keep me racing meanwhile. It seems to me the smart thing to do, rather than sticking to 2.5 years old GT4 or using the one-track only GT:HD.

That's funny they released gt4 prologue half a year before...and it kept players interested...As for the schedule....As long as it's delayed to make it better who can complain...GT4 being 2.5 years old is still awesome...i think gt4 was released in 04....not 05. Well like I told ske have fun buying a new console....could of saved more....btw do you use that 200* MS wheel? lol

On the subject of drifting, I am on a drifting team called team toxic drift and we have a practace video online and a real one in the works. Send me a friend request at GRSINNJ90.

That's funny they released gt4 prologue half a year before
It was released in may 2004 in Europe, 10 months before the game.
Not anywhere close to half a year in my book.

As long as it's delayed to make it better who can complain...
Gamers, because they are waiting instead of playing.
Delaying to make better sounds ok, when it stays within reasonable proportions. In the end why don't they try and make it perfect ? This way it will be released... never.
The problem with delaying again and again is that people expect more and more, and in the end, are disappointed when they see all that's missing. (On line mode, clever AI as far as GT4 is concerned).

GT4 being 2.5 years old is still awesome...
You're a lucky guy if you think so.
I bought GT4 the day it was released and was disappointed after the first hour or so. Just didn't match expectations. I played it for almost 2 years, mostly thanks to the WRS, but had to quit recently. Just too boring.

It was released in may 2004 in Europe, 10 months before the game.
Not anywhere close to half a year in my book.

Gamers, because they are waiting instead of playing.
Delaying to make better sounds ok, when it stays within reasonable proportions. In the end why don't they try and make it perfect ? This way it will be released... never.
The problem with delaying again and again is that people expect more and more, and in the end, are disappointed when they see all that's missing. (On line mode, clever AI as far as GT4 is concerned).

You're a lucky guy if you think so.
I bought GT4 the day it was released and was disappointed after the first hour or so. Just didn't match expectations. I played it for almost 2 years, mostly thanks to the WRS, but had to quit recently. Just too boring.

I guess I am lucky to fully appreciate what a wonderful game PD has made us...YOU even played it for 2 long years....Perhaps xlink play would of kept you more interested as it has for me. If you drive alone I can see why you find the game boring...it helps to drive with friends.

I would rather have a completed game then some half ass job like fm2.

That's funny there was a drop in price here....499 for 60 gb now....that's about what you paid for 360...minus hd dvd add on wireless add on...live subscription....
- no addons, just around $450 for the box (with HD and game). And Sony's EU discrimination almost makes it a principle for me not to get the PS3.. It's not gonna go below $1000 anytime soon here (hopefully before GT5 though), just sucks to be us, I guess. I'd buy an american PS3 if Sony weren't nice enough to sue me for buying from a different "zone". Apparently they don't want Europeans to have their console and I'm inclined to oblige.

2 plus years for gt5? I don't know where your getting your info but latest I heard was early 08...which is only half a year away....and besides gt5 prologue in October...thats what 3 months away...
- early 08 plus delays becomes q4 08 (japan) which means q1 09 (US) and q4 09 or later (EU). Considering SCE's attitude towards us, I doubt prologue will even be released on PAL, and I think 2 years is the EARLIEST eta for GT5.. I personally think it'll be closer to 3, but I can hope.

but my console can stay on for over 90 min....redlight of what? Have fun buying another console....wouldn't you have saved more just buying the right one to start out with?
Why would I want to buy a PS3 now (did I mention it's $1000 here enough times yet?) when there are no interesting games for it? I don't think you get the point at all. Anyway, the xbox seems to work ok when I moved it to a less confined space... and I know I'll get a free replacement when the new ones get in stores. The 2 times I had to replace my PS2 because of rubbish build quality I actually had to pay :\

That's funny there was a drop in price here....499 for 60 gb now....that's about what you paid for 360...minus hd dvd add on wireless add on...live subscription....2 plus years for gt5? I don't know where your getting your info but latest I heard was early 08...which is only half a year away....and besides gt5 prologue in October...thats what 3 months away...well have fun with fm2...I'll wait for prologue...and gthd while I wait for that....Nothing out new for ps perhaps....but my console can stay on for over 90 min....redlight of what? Have fun buying another console....wouldn't you have saved more just buying the right one to start out with?

I like you. You're funny. You should come around here more often...

-The "Price Drop": Believe what you want, but the price drop was only created to move shelved units out of stores. Its quite funny when you realize that while Sony is pushing out what they had of the 60 GB models with that, they have completely canceled the unit, as well as the 20 GB one, and leave US consumers with the $600 80 GB unit, ONLY. It helps to read what people say on the internet.

- 360 "Add-ons": Why exactly do these factor in at all? I know very few people who actually use Wi-Fi to play online, so thats a complete write-off for me... As for the HD-DVD player, they've sold better than I'd expected, so its a start, but it isn't a necessity to use the 360. And as for the XBL subscriptions, I'm not sure why anyone is really complaining. A little more than $4 a month won't kill anyone, so I'm not seeing the point you're making unless you're yet another PS-fanboy who wants to make the same point that everyone makes, PSN is free. Whoopdy freakin' doo!

-GT5 Release Dates: Like everyone has said, we're going to be lucky if the game comes in anywhere around the END of 2008. Much of this depends on how much the team at Polyphony can actually deliver, much less on time, or at least on Sony's time frame. I seem to recall GT4 showing up at several E3 and TGS' long before it ever hit the streets, delay after delay, after delay.

And what came of it?

A highly-polished GT3 with a few extra cars and tracks, a new soundtrack, and thats about it. No online play, no customizable paint or decals, no Ferraris or Lamborghinis, AI that wasn't much better than its predecessor, and an overall title that became "been there, done that" in less than a year.

- This whole "Prologue" thing: Why are you so excited to what amounts to a game demo? Sure, its a hold-over until the actual game is released, but there are (if I'm not mistaken) fewer than 20 cars, and handful of tracks, whats the point? To show that they're working on something, and that we should be happy that we may, or may not, see something within two years?

They did the same thing last time, dishing out several "preview" games before GT4 actually hit the streets. "Whoa! Thats awesome! Its the same thing that I saw before!!!!"

- The "Red Rings of Death": Not every console has suffered this fate, so please get your facts straight. I believe semi-official counts have put failures into 30% of consoles, mostly early-build models, many of which have been replaced FREE OF CHARGE by Microsoft, and every console is now backed by a three-year warranty. The good news is that Microsoft acknowledges there is a problem, they are fixing it, and thusly will fix consoles (as a matter of fact, ALL of the 360s to date) that suffer these issues. I'm quite certain that Sony would "pull a Toyota" and try to cover-up quality issues on the PS3, cover a few of the repair costs, and then maybe consider a recall at some point.

...Either way, I know I had more issues with my PS2 than I have had with my 360 thus far, and I have a fairly early build model (November 2005).

---

Other notable points:

- The "Wack" Forza 2 Damage Models: Funny thing about the damage modeling in Gran Turismo... THERE ISN'T ANY...

I look at it this way, Turn 10 made the effort to give it to us, so thats a start. While complaints about being rear-ended are a bit "off" I'd say, there are some funky ways of damaging a car, but that being said, how can you be so certain that being in even a "minor" accident wouldn't do serious damage to a brake, further complicate issues with the engine, or damage a strut? Do you race on Sebring regularly and have your Chevrolet Corvette rear-ended just to find out?

- Format Pros and Cons on the 360: Is this really the place to debate the features of Blu-Ray and DVD? Quite honestly, nobody really cares anymore, and yet again, you are resorting to the same points that Sony-times drone on, and on, and on, and on about. We know it has a higher capacity, and we understand what it means. Does it matter right now? No not really, as even the folks at Sony don't quite understand how to use the format to the best of their ability, much less how to use the hardware to the best of its ability... Thusly, it explains why a LARGE number of developers and even entire games themselves have jumped to the 360. Will the whole thing matter in the long run? Probably, but it is hard to say for certain. The tables turn very easily these days...

- Re-playability of GT4 versus that of Forza 2 While I am quite happy that some of you have been able to max out the $50 you spent on GT4 several years ago, your experience is by no means the standard experience shared by every racing fan out there. Overall criticisms of GT4 placed it as something that was no more than a GT3.75, and thusly, many folks were bored in less than a year. I've pretty much stopped playing it altogether, despite the fact that I still have a bit to go. I don't feel like playing the same stuff over and over again, particularly when so much of it is exactly the same as what I did way back in 2001 or 2002.

The "rushed" job of Forza 2, as you have so eloquently put it, may or may not be a valid point, but the fact of the matter is that Turn 10 did a fairly good job of getting it on the shelves as promised. Sure, there was a short delay, but it was nothing on the same level as what had pushed GT4 back, back, back, back into the outfield. What makes Forza 2 a re-playable title, simply put, is the online play... Something that GT4 lacked, and SHOULD have had from the beginning. Having friends over or not, it doesn't matter, as they can't be over all the time, and furthermore, who actually wants to play split-screen all the time? I know I don't...

Calling Forza 2 out, IMO, really is just an admission that it is a serious threat to the Gran Turismo franchise. Quite clearly, Polyphony has a lot to learn from the Turn 10 guys, but on that same exact token, Turn 10 could learn a lot from Polyphony as well. Both games, while excelent, have their own significant flaws.

Automatically comparing Forza 2 to GT5, a game that doesn't actually exist, and probably won't exist for many people for another two years, is just plain silly. Sure, we can speak in hypotheticals, and thats the best we can do, but being ever so certain that it will be this earth-shaking giant in the industry is a bit short-sighted. As I have said numerous times before on these forums, as well as others, GT5 is the ONLY game thus far that interests me in a PS3, and I am not in a minority here. It will be a great game, and I'm certain of it, but like many others, GT4 came about as a disappointment, and thusly our expectations for what GT5 is has been lowered.

-The "Price Drop": Believe what you want, but the price drop was only created to move shelved units out of stores. Its quite funny when you realize that while Sony is pushing out what they had of the 60 GB models with that, they have completely canceled the unit, as well as the 20 GB one, and leave US consumers with the $600 80 GB unit, ONLY. It helps to read what people say on the internet.

- 360 "Add-ons": Why exactly do these factor in at all? I know very few people who actually use Wi-Fi to play online, so thats a complete write-off for me... As for the HD-DVD player, they've sold better than I'd expected, so its a start, but it isn't a necessity to use the 360. And as for the XBL subscriptions, I'm not sure why anyone is really complaining. A little more than $4 a month won't kill anyone, so I'm not seeing the point you're making unless you're yet another PS-fanboy who wants to make the same point that everyone makes, PSN is free. Whoopdy freakin' doo!

-GT5 Release Dates: Like everyone has said, we're going to be lucky if the game comes in anywhere around the END of 2008. Much of this depends on how much the team at Polyphony can actually deliver, much less on time, or at least on Sony's time frame. I seem to recall GT4 showing up at several E3 and TGS' long before it ever hit the streets, delay after delay, after delay.

And what came of it?

A highly-polished GT3 with a few extra cars and tracks, a new soundtrack, and thats about it. No online play, no customizable paint or decals, no Ferraris or Lamborghinis, AI that wasn't much better than its predecessor, and an overall title that became "been there, done that" in less than a year.

- This whole "Prologue" thing: Why are you so excited to what amounts to a game demo? Sure, its a hold-over until the actual game is released, but there are (if I'm not mistaken) fewer than 20 cars, and handful of tracks, whats the point? To show that they're working on something, and that we should be happy that we may, or may not, see something within two years?

They did the same thing last time, dishing out several "preview" games before GT4 actually hit the streets. "Whoa! Thats awesome! Its the same thing that I saw before!!!!"

- The "Red Rings of Death": Not every console has suffered this fate, so please get your facts straight. I believe semi-official counts have put failures into 30% of consoles, mostly early-build models, many of which have been replaced FREE OF CHARGE by Microsoft, and every console is now backed by a three-year warranty. The good news is that Microsoft acknowledges there is a problem, they are fixing it, and thusly will fix consoles (as a matter of fact, ALL of the 360s to date) that suffer these issues. I'm quite certain that Sony would "pull a Toyota" and try to cover-up quality issues on the PS3, cover a few of the repair costs, and then maybe consider a recall at some point.

...Either way, I know I had more issues with my PS2 than I have had with my 360 thus far, and I have a fairly early build model (November 2005).

---

Other notable points:

- The "Wack" Forza 2 Damage Models: Funny thing about the damage modeling in Gran Turismo... THERE ISN'T ANY...

I look at it this way, Turn 10 made the effort to give it to us, so thats a start. While complaints about being rear-ended are a bit "off" I'd say, there are some funky ways of damaging a car, but that being said, how can you be so certain that being in even a "minor" accident wouldn't do serious damage to a brake, further complicate issues with the engine, or damage a strut? Do you race on Sebring regularly and have your Chevrolet Corvette rear-ended just to find out?

- Format Pros and Cons on the 360: Is this really the place to debate the features of Blu-Ray and DVD? Quite honestly, nobody really cares anymore, and yet again, you are resorting to the same points that Sony-times drone on, and on, and on, and on about. We know it has a higher capacity, and we understand what it means. Does it matter right now? No not really, as even the folks at Sony don't quite understand how to use the format to the best of their ability, much less how to use the hardware to the best of its ability... Thusly, it explains why a LARGE number of developers and even entire games themselves have jumped to the 360. Will the whole thing matter in the long run? Probably, but it is hard to say for certain. The tables turn very easily these days...

- Re-playability of GT4 versus that of Forza 2 While I am quite happy that some of you have been able to max out the $50 you spent on GT4 several years ago, your experience is by no means the standard experience shared by every racing fan out there. Overall criticisms of GT4 placed it as something that was no more than a GT3.75, and thusly, many folks were bored in less than a year. I've pretty much stopped playing it altogether, despite the fact that I still have a bit to go. I don't feel like playing the same stuff over and over again, particularly when so much of it is exactly the same as what I did way back in 2001 or 2002.

The "rushed" job of Forza 2, as you have so eloquently put it, may or may not be a valid point, but the fact of the matter is that Turn 10 did a fairly good job of getting it on the shelves as promised. Sure, there was a short delay, but it was nothing on the same level as what had pushed GT4 back, back, back, back into the outfield. What makes Forza 2 a re-playable title, simply put, is the online play... Something that GT4 lacked, and SHOULD have had from the beginning. Having friends over or not, it doesn't matter, as they can't be over all the time, and furthermore, who actually wants to play split-screen all the time? I know I don't...

Calling Forza 2 out, IMO, really is just an admission that it is a serious threat to the Gran Turismo franchise. Quite clearly, Polyphony has a lot to learn from the Turn 10 guys, but on that same exact token, Turn 10 could learn a lot from Polyphony as well. Both games, while excelent, have their own significant flaws.

Automatically comparing Forza 2 to GT5, a game that doesn't actually exist, and probably won't exist for many people for another two years, is just plain silly. Sure, we can speak in hypotheticals, and thats the best we can do, but being ever so certain that it will be this earth-shaking giant in the industry is a bit short-sighted. As I have said numerous times before on these forums, as well as others, GT5 is the ONLY game thus far that interests me in a PS3, and I am not in a minority here. It will be a great game, and I'm certain of it, but like many others, GT4 came about as a disappointment, and thusly our expectations for what GT5 is has been lowered.

LOL You spent too much time typing that...All you had to say is I am a MS fanboy. Patience saves me 500 dollars...say what you will.

BTW that whole prologue thing is the same **** fm2 people were all gah gah over the forza 2 demo saying forza2 is the best...

Well thought-out replies are something I take pride in, and quite honestly, and if you were to do the same, would likely make your points seem a bit more valid, hopefully with a greater explanation as to why you believe this or that instead of throwing in basic one-liners that most of us have heard a thousand times.

Simply put, Microsoft fan or not, my case for Forza 2 is one that is meant to be in fairness to both it and GT5, one that clearly you cannot sympathize with. Quite honestly, you could also say "Hey, I'm a Sony fanboy, and I don't know or care about things other than Sony because Sony is all, and all is Sony!" and we would have gotten your point.

Either way, I understand your point that buying a console solely for one title is a great waste of money, but as Ske, others, and myself have pointed out before, there is plenty of fun to go around on the X360... By most measurements, far more than what will be available on the PS3 any time soon. Sure, great titles are coming for the all-powerful PS3, but the difference (as I have stated in other threads) is largely having them now, or a year from now.

More on the Prologue issues, the difference between it and the Forza 2 demo largely come down to the fact that the Forza 2 demo was in fact a demo, released several weeks before the actual game in order to increase excitement for the title... Prologue more or less does the same, however, has no significance in saying "Hey, our game comes out in three weeks!" but more or less that "GT5 exists, but all you get is 16 cars and three tracks. Call us in two years..."

-The "Price Drop": It helps to read what people say on the internet.
so you trust everything from what everyone on the internet says?

- 360 "Add-ons": A little more than $4 a month won't kill anyone, so I'm not seeing the point you're making unless you're yet another PS-fanboy who wants to make the same point that everyone makes, PSN is free. Whoopdy freakin' doo!
7.99 a month over a few years is quite a bit of money to pay for something that your ALREADY paying for. So what is the point of having to pay to play online? to keep the kids and glitchers off that lag everything up? Well they are still there. People still glitch to make games unfair, games still lag, and there are STILL annoying kids on it.

-GT5 Release Dates:
No online play? I actually had a good race earlier today with a few friends on GT4. And you know what? None of them were in my house. No ferraris/Lambos, big deal. Just overhyped high price sports cars. No paint/decals... guess I am more of a function over form guy myself.

So far, all of my friends who have bought a 360 (3 of them might I add), all 3 of them have SOME sort of problem. For "30%" that should be more like 1 out of the 3.

Other notable points:

I can say for 100% certian, that being rear ended in a FR or FF car, that it WILL NOT do a damn thing to the engine. It probably won't do anything to the brakes either unless a line gets pinched or punctured. If that happens, you have bigger problems. But yes, it could bend a strut, control arm, axle, or even slightly bend the frame depending on how it happens.

I haven't really touched sim mode in like a year. But I am still having fun racing and drifting with my friends online. And that is what keeps me going.

What do you mean it may or may not be a valid point? If it wasn't rushed, the reflections would look 100x better. As would a LOT of other things. GT4 has online play, i bet you didn't know that until you read this post. Or maybe you did, who cares.

Yes, i will agree that both have a lot to learn. But how will the Forza franchise be a threat when it is limited to 8 gigs of disk space max?

I shall do my best to answer your questions...

so you trust everything from what everyone on the internet says?

It isn't a matter of what everyone says, it is what Kaz himself had said in the E3 interviews. He admitted that having two units in the US wasn't working, and that once the 60GB models run out at the $500 price point, its done, and they're back to $600 again with the 80GB model. While that is a price point that is in fact more agreeable given the larger HDD, it is still a bit misleading to the customers, don't you think?

Here is a link to the video in which Kaz discusses the issue for the US market

7.99 a month over a few years is quite a bit of money to pay for something that your ALREADY paying for. So what is the point of having to pay to play online? to keep the kids and glitchers off that lag everything up? Well they are still there. People still glitch to make games unfair, games still lag, and there are STILL annoying kids on it.

Who is paying $7.99 a month for XBL? Is this Canadian money we're talking about here? I'm given a bill once a year for $50 even by Microsoft, which comes out to $4 and change (I want to say $4.12) per month, which IMO isn't a bad deal. But your point is indeed valid... Annoying players and lag shouldn't be an issue, but, annoying players can be avoided if people learn to use the reputation system built into XBL, and as far as lag is concerned, much of that is due to connection issues with the player's ISP (AT&T, Comcast, etc), not necessarily with Microsoft themselves.

No online play? I actually had a good race earlier today with a few friends on GT4. And you know what? None of them were in my house. No ferraris/Lambos, big deal. Just overhyped high price sports cars. No paint/decals... guess I am more of a function over form guy myself.

I'm happy to hear that you have utilized the online loophole that is a somewhat well-known feature on GT4, but it is not something that everyone wishes to do, much less is it an "official" feature built into game. As for the exotics, I'm in the camp that often wonders why what is so often touted as the "world's greatest racing sim" can't have these cars, and yet crap-tastic games like Need For Speed can? Its a bit odd, wouldn't you say? I like having a fair bit of everything, don't get me wrong, but there has to be a point by which 40 model variants of the Skyline and the Supra could give way to one or two Ferraris, Porsches (RUF models don't count), or Lamborghinis.

...And as for "form over function," I agree on principle, but part of the fun of Forza, IMO, is painting your car to look like some racing legend, or maybe your own crazy design. But thats just me...

So far, all of my friends who have bought a 360 (3 of them might I add), all 3 of them have SOME sort of problem. For "30%" that should be more like 1 out of the 3.

That is unfortunate that they have had those problems, and I sympathize with them. I've had minor issues with my X360, a few freezes here and there, but nothing has broken as of yet. I'd place that mostly because I keep it in a well-ventilated area, never run it too hard for too long, and as always have enough common sense to maybe turn it off if it starts acting funny.

BTW: One out of three is a titch more than 33%, so if 3.3% means that much to you over 30% (what Microsoft had quoted), then by all means...

I haven't really touched sim mode in like a year. But I am still having fun racing and drifting with my friends online. And that is what keeps me going.

I think you've got the idea there, and I understand... As it is, I think it is part of the reason why Forza 1 had such a following up to the release of Forza 2, and presumably still does to this day. Online play keeps a game fresh, and while there is an online "loophole" in GT4, the criticism that many of us have is that without a "true" online mode, it just won't hold our attention. Minor differences there.

What do you mean it may or may not be a valid point? If it wasn't rushed, the reflections would look 100x better. As would a LOT of other things. GT4 has online play, i bet you didn't know that until you read this post. Or maybe you did, who cares.

Rushed or not, I'm uncertain that the surfacing has much to do with it. If I recall correctly, Forza 1 used a similar "art style" (for the lack of a better term) with high reflections on the car, but personally speaking, it isn't something that I'm constantly thinking about when doing laps on Silverstone. As for the rest of the looks, I can understand your point, but are you really driving around Laguna Seca saying "that sand isn't the right color, and the ripples should be 1m apart instead of 1.2m", instead of enjoying the game? I will happily take a few losses in the looks department in order to receive a well-tuned game, one that is enjoyable to play, and offers a very in-depth driving experience that actually makes every car feel different on every track.

...And as for online in GT4, I've noted it above, and while it is "there," it not being an "official" piece of the game makes it something that I do not count. Its not a matter of caring, much less being aware, its more or less having it as an actual part of the game, one that they had promised, and then took away right as it would appear the game was ready. If online was to be a part of GT4, it would have been a miraculous game, and I would likely still be playing it today... But folks like me, who otherwise stayed away from online on the PS2 (what else was there, SOCOM? I kid...), it is questionable if GT4 alone would have been worth the purchase of the adapter...

Yes, i will agree that both have a lot to learn. But how will the Forza franchise be a threat when it is limited to 8 gigs of disk space max?

I'm glad we can agree on that basic point, and I would concede that your point is completely valid. This all being said, once again, it is hard to know for sure how things will work in the future. Forza became a threat because it is really the only other racing sim that I know of that has ever come close to that level of popularity, much less having this much of an influence on the racing genre as a whole. This being said, capacity limits will play a major role in the future as to how the game works, and that unfortunately is a question that nobody that I know of really has a specific answer to as of yet...

...Forza 2, to my knowledge, did not come close to maxing the DVD capacity as you had mentioned. The larger question of the future as games become progressively larger will be the route by which Microsoft will chose to take:

- Continue to use DVDs as-is, questionable as to what limitations are as of yet
- Use DVDs as is, move to multiple DVD sets, similar to how older PS1 titles were
- Move to a DVD/HDD combo system, downloading titles matched with games on DVD, or entire games on HDD.
- Utilize HD-DVD to play higher-capacity games, questionable if current HD-DVD players can in fact do so.
- Outright move to Blu-Ray format, presumably the least-likely as of now
- Update X360 in a shorter time-frame than PS3, possibly by 2010 at the earliest?

The threat comment was not slated particularly at GT5, but at the GT franchise as a whole, that being similar to how one could say "Splinter Cell is a threat to Metal Gear," or "Killzone is a threat to Halo," etc. Games like Forza disrupt the franchise, because fans of GT or not, die-hard racing fans will jump a console for a "hot" title. I jumped on Playstation's wagon years and years ago because of Gran Turismo, and similarly I jumped on the XBOX wagon because of Halo. If GT5 really does impress, I could go back to Sony. But, the pricing game, the so-so title lists, the growing movement towards the removal of backwards compatibility, and overall just a lack of enthusiasm just makes me say "no."

...I'm sure many people feel exactly the same about Microsoft, or even Nintendo for that matter, but that is more or less my opinion....

BTW: I'm not meaning to be an ass here guys, I enjoy a lively debate, and while I may disagree with you on some points, I do respect your opinion.

Why don't all of you buy both consoles, wheels and games and enyoj them? Together they cost less then new DirectX PC graphic card..

I realy see no pint in bashing any franchise. "GT vs Forza" issue has no sense - both games have something other has not. Option to turn-off ABS for example :). And while Forza 2 has some great flaws in verious fields, it remains very nice game which can occupy you some time until GT5 Prologue is out, for example.

Turn 10 did a fine job with 2nd game, and we can all hope that in 2015 - when they'll celebrate 10 years of franchise as PD is celebrating this year - we'll get a great title. Of course, in that very same year PD will celebrate 18 years, but it is something that will never be matched just because they were the first. And it is just one of the reason why they will always be ahead of many in various apectsw of the franchise.

^^^ I agree. I own both systems both games. However..... the games have different directions and each game focuses on different things. Its like comparing Halo to Rainbow Six, same genre, different directions.

Totally agree with the last 2 posts!!
For my gaming pleasure (especially driving games) I own:
4 Xbox 360's (3 in a triple HD screen cockpit)
2 PS3's (will extend that to 3 if i can get GT5 in triple screen goodness)
1 High spec Pc with triple screen output
2 PS2's
1 Wii
1 G25
1 DFP
1 Microsoft wheel.
1 PS1
and a few hundred games!!
:D

I Work Hard and Play Hard.
I go where the games take me.

No, it's not a stupid comment. I was comparing PS3 hardware specs to 360. And PS3 has so much more available diskspace to work with than 360. 25 gig is for a SINGLE layer disk. When multi layers come out, it will be at LEAST 25 gigs per layer. You know what that means right? It means Kaz wll be able to make the GT franchise look more like he has always wanted. Which makes me really doubt that anyone will be able to be on the same "level" as it will be, esp if they are 360 only console.

I don't go on assumptions, I go on games and content. When I see games surpassing Gears of War quality of graphics and HOLDING that lead, maybe then I'll believe you and think that every single game on PS3 will be superior to 360. Until then I'll be playing Mass Effect and Halo 3....

Before you go to the obvious accusation that I'm a "fanboy", I've just bought my PS3 during the price drop to get ready for the games out this holiday season. I'm just argueing with your point that we should believe hardware specs are the be all and end all.

Suzuki
If i wanted the *best* sounds, AI, online, tire physics, and damage i would go play LFS, RFactor or GTR.

You were discussing the qualifty issue of Forza vs GT and how because of the hardware available to PD, Turn 10 will never be able to give a better game - I just stated places where Forza are stronger. Listing PC games is worthless....

Suzuki
I am not impressed with FM2's paintshop at all.

Why?

Suzuki
Nor am i impressed with the AI or online play. AI is a little better than GT4's, yes. But they are still supid. Cant play online because everyone who is online is a noob that goes and crashes everyone. I am ok with the online play on GT4. Little bit of hassel, yes but it is worth it.

You can't be serious....you prefer X-link over Live functionality in Forza?!

Suzuki
FM2 damage is wack, it just doesnt seem realistic when you bearly get rearended and your engine turns red. I guess you could think thats realistic if you dont know anything about cars besides where to put the gas in at. If you want awesome customization then go play NFS.

It's a thing called licenses - it's the reason GT hasn't BOTHERED to include any damage....

I never called it realistic, and if you were implying I know nothing about cars then you're wrong there again.

LOL You spent too much time typing that...All you had to say is I am a MS fanboy. Patience saves me 500 dollars...say what you will.

Sorry, must have forgot that to argue the points of owning a 360 and Forza you turn into a fanboy. Keep doing do-nuts in your RX-7s in GT4, oh wait....

I figured it out....there is no point talking in the forza m 2 forum for a gt believer.. I just find it horrible that MS makes you guys pay for online play that should be free....And the wheel you are forced to use also sucks ass....but that is my opinion.
Funny how one guy said once you own a 360 and forza you become a fanboy...lol

Enjoy your 360

And last I have known Kaz is just a developer and is in no way tied into the distribution of the playstation 3.

btw who here as cool led cases?

I prefer xlink over live simply because it's free...Being charged for a service that you already pay another company for is kinda retarded.

Last I checked isn't it awesome graphics that is supposed to wow and further the driving experience...well I like looking at scenery while i drive...no need to stare at the track.

ok now flame me guys!

I'll just close this thread since it's just become a fanboi flame war.

Forza is out now, GT5 just isn't - and that is what counts right now. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back