Delorean - Something bugs me here...

• Thread starter <_Spike_>
  • 16 comments
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I searched and couldn't find anything of the same nature (unless I've gone blind)

So anywho, in GT4 the DMC Delorean has "2004" as it's year, but as everyone knows Delorean went bust before the 90ies and has never since been brought back into production nor thought of. Mostly because of the family not wanting the name of Delorean re-used. So why on earth did Polyphony put in the Delorean as a 2004 car? Baffles me greatly...

It's a time machine... Duh!

:D

There was a terribly good reason for this, but I forget what it was. I'll have a dig.

Here is something else I have found disturbing. It was a production car. Polyphony labeled it a "Tuner Car".

JER_CREST
Here is something else I have found disturbing. It was a production car. Polyphony labeled it a "Tuner Car".
This Explanation from the post above yours gives a reason for that as well....

I saw that car out in a Wendy's parking lot (I work at Wendy's:P) , anyway..Is that car sweeeeet or what?? man, when the doors opened upwards, there was a sound like if gases or fumes were coming out (like in the movie) and the interior was just awesome, the owner was ready to leave and I told him I'd buy the car from him..... he just smiled at me, got in the car, and left the place heading to the year 3025 :)

Ciao....

One of these sat in my neighbours field for about 10 years, ( i used to live in a farming community ) he had driven it a few times, didn't like it, and tried to sell it himself. After 10 years, the only thing wrong was the tires. SS body, so no rust at all, even in the bitter northern ontario winters. Anyway, he sold it 3 years ago I found out....

For $3500.00 CAD and a 1990 Honda GoldWing ( less engine )

Mr.OzzyGT
man, when the doors opened upwards, there was a sound like if gases or fumes were coming out (like in the movie)

The doors use gas-charged struts, like many rear hatches in other cars. :)

I was gonna ask people here at GTP this too, since I've been researching DeLorean for the past couple days, and I found this thread.

Why is the DeLorean DMC-12 called a "2004" model? I'm not satisfied with the answers in this thread, but whatever.

To me, the car in our game is a 1981 or '82 model with tuned parts installed, rather than a fully built tuner from the ground up. But whatever.

Other than this disagreement, I agree with everything stated here so far. I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the web about what "S2" is supposed to stand for...even Wikipedia, so I'm grateful someone else had these same questions in their head and at least got a few decent answers.

Last edited:
The "S2" stands for "Stage 2", because when DMC began re-building and restoring some cars a few years ago, they came up with a performance package, where they just stuck a turbo in the car, giving it a 50+ HP boost. So, that's where the "S2" and "2004" in the name comes from.

The "S2" stands for "Stage 2", because when DMC began re-building and restoring some cars a few years ago, they came up with a performance package, where they just stuck a turbo in the car, giving it a 50+ HP boost. So, that's where the "S2" and "2004" in the name comes from.

I agree. S2 stands for stage 2, that's why I searched & found this thread in the first place--I couldn't find any info on a DeLorean "S2" (even at the official DMC website). Finally, my curiosity brought me back here. I was gonna post a new thread but decided to search first. So S2 stands for Stage 2. However, it's not a 2004 model.

If somebody puts a new set of parts on a '67 Chevy in 2004, tweaks it in 2004, restores it in 2004, etc...you don't go around calling it a 2004 Chevy...it's still a '67.

I'd say somebody goofed.

Last edited:
So Looking at DMCs website. They're remanufacturing the old cars, addressing weaknesses and giving it the power, poise and modern conveniences the original lacked. It sounds like a newer better car to me. The question is do they retain the old VIN? I say if it has the original VIN, it's the old car year. It sounds like they have resources to build "New" Deloreans. If it has a new VIN, It's a 2004 in my book.

Nissan embarked on it's landmrk Vintage Z program about 10 years back where it became the first manufacturer to "Buy Back" cars and have them remanufactured through contracted restorers. I believe the cars retained the original VIN plate and had an additional Vintage Z plate. I think they sold in the low $20,000 range. (Sounds like a bargain to me) The Vintage Z Program cars routinely fetch $30-35,000 on Ebay last time I saw one.

I was at a Can-Am race in the 80s when the Delorean first came out. During one of the breaks, some VIP took a new Delorean out for a few laps. It was steaming wildly by the 3rd lap. Seems it was overheating. Definitely not a "Track Day" car.

Here's the thing about the DMC operation. Back when the original DMC went under in '83, they still had warehouses of unbuilt cars, tons of crates of parts that they never used. So, when the new DMC (now located in Houston, but not affiliated with the old DMC) opened, they bought all those parts, and waited for people to begin ordering them. The way that DMC now is looking at it, they are 1981, 1982 cars, but they weren't manufactured until just recently, thus they say it's a 2004 model. The cars do retain their original VIN, but they're just manufactured later. Think of it like this. Imagine John DeLorean made the '81 and '82 cars, and then just stopped for oh, say, 22 years, then began production again. They could technically be called 2004 models because they were manufactured/produced in that year, but they could also technically be called 1981 or 1982 models because they retain their original VIN and are still using original 1981 and 1982 parts. It's all in how you look at it, I guess. PD probably saw them being remanufactured, and just slapped an '04 on it in the game.

I was at a Can-Am race in the 80s when the Delorean first came out. During one of the breaks, some VIP took a new Delorean out for a few laps. It was steaming wildly by the 3rd lap. Seems it was overheating. Definitely not a "Track Day" car.

:lol: Yeah, it seems there was lots of embarassement surrounding poor DeLorean's car & company.

Here's the thing about the DMC operation. Back when the original DMC went under in '83, they still had warehouses of unbuilt cars, tons of crates of parts that they never used. So, when the new DMC (now located in Houston, but not affiliated with the old DMC) opened, they bought all those parts, and waited for people to begin ordering them. The way that DMC now is looking at it, they are 1981, 1982 cars, but they weren't manufactured until just recently, thus they say it's a 2004 model. The cars do retain their original VIN, but they're just manufactured later. Think of it like this. Imagine John DeLorean made the '81 and '82 cars, and then just stopped for oh, say, 22 years, then began production again. They could technically be called 2004 models because they were manufactured/produced in that year, but they could also technically be called 1981 or 1982 models because they retain their original VIN and are still using original 1981 and 1982 parts. It's all in how you look at it, I guess. PD probably saw them being remanufactured, and just slapped an '04 on it in the game.

Hmm interesting. Thanks. Yeah I just found a section of the DMC website I missed before where it says "buy a new Delorean". Which features a mix of new, original, and remanufactured parts. So technically, it's like getting a brand-new car, even if some of the parts are from 1981.

Last edited:
Back