Demoralised GT Academy 2016 Finalist - Daily's have become a mess and game enjoyment gone

Australia
Australia
Hey guys,

New to the forum so hey!

I have become so demoralised with GT Sport lately... I'm a 2016 GT Academy finalist for Australia, and just had a baby. So my time on the sim is now very limited. I used to enjoy getting on and grabbing some HARD earned DR points. Getting up to 44K. With no time to compete in FIA races, daily's seem like the obvious place to have a fang and have some fun. Unfortunately they have become the most frustrating place to race. Everyone seems so dirty! Shunting off the track, smashing into each other. WHAT'S HAPPENED TO THE GAME!? This used to be about race craft! In the 12 times I've managed to get on and play lately I've lost over 5600 DR because of shunty drivers. There are NO penalties handed out either! So you qualify okay, and then you get smashed off the track, and then you lose the DR!? It makes NO sense to me. How are there no ramifications for punting people off the track? If damage was on for daily's would this fix it? if the people that punted you into a wall lost heaps of DR would this fix it? How is it justified when you get shunted off and go from 1st or second, to last or - close to last, to lose so many DR points is beyond me. The daily rules and point system need a HUGE overhaul.

From a GT Academy alumni, representing the game and my country in Silverstone, I'm pleading Polyphony and Playstation to get their **** together and fix this. There is no incentive to play if terrible behaviour is what gets rewarded. Lets make it about clean racing! NOT about shunting to win. You're panalising clean driving and rewarding bad driving. I even watched a fellow alumni in an FIA race last night at Fuji, and the behaviour was terrible as well!! Lets make some noise to get this fixed ASAP, to save a much loved game! To save what it used to stand for, and that's enjoyable racing and racecraft!

Please help!!

This is why I spend all my time on GT Sport doing liveries and racing in private leagues. You can't fix the stupid that runs rampant in public lobbies, so I stick to private ones.
I also enjoy a replica livery design. Good fun!
Private lobbies might be an idea, but just doesn't go towards your DR..

DR isn't everything. If you can't handle it forget about it. The game is a mess and PD are incapable or unwilling to fix it. Hopefully they are concentrating on GT7 but where have we heard that before.

You're better off in a private league or you might find a bunch of good guys by chance in a lobby by chance. Then again you might have a few good sport mode races by chance.

By the way I would say 44k DR is still in a risky area nowadays. 44k and 99 SR will be better but you will probably have to grind to well into A+ and grind out a good qualy time to get a run of good clean races like you want. 44k is officially average and it is sometimes complete chaos. Stick to longer races where you can make up places if you're rammed.

I have an account at 65k and 2 others that were A+ don't care about now so are lower now, so been through it all several times. I'm back into lobby racing now and it's good. Again I recommend you do the same if you can't handle sport mode.

Last edited:
Hi @MotorvatedSD and welcome on board.
Yes, ever since a penalty system was introduced... I'll be diplomatic and say it's just about always had some degree of deficiency... and I'll leave it at that.
However in regards to your issue the traditional course of action has always been to run a second alt account and use your good account with high DR for FIA stuff and have a "I don't care" profile for thrashing around in the chaos that daily races sometimes devolve into.

The penalty system at the moment is copping a fair bit of criticism but the game has established a modus operandi of completely scrapping the system and replacing it with a totally new one on a pretty much monthly basis so just hang in there and hopefully we'll have a more balanced system soon.

It's an up and down affair. SOmetimes a crap shoot of who will be in your races. I had a really good race earlier and one with a total fool with no regard for race craft

Some members here, have pointed out more people are playing the game, due to the amount of people at home. SO, probably a higher count of "I don't care where you are, i'm putting my car where you are" players racing.

I'm sure you know how much you can handle. Stay up!

Hey guys,

New to the forum so hey!

I have become so demoralised with GT Sport lately... I'm a 2016 GT Academy finalist for Australia, and just had a baby. So my time on the sim is now very limited. I used to enjoy getting on and grabbing some HARD earned DR points. Getting up to 44K. With no time to compete in FIA races, daily's seem like the obvious place to have a fang and have some fun. Unfortunately they have become the most frustrating place to race. Everyone seems so dirty! Shunting off the track, smashing into each other. WHAT'S HAPPENED TO THE GAME!? This used to be about race craft! In the 12 times I've managed to get on and play lately I've lost over 5600 DR because of shunty drivers. There are NO penalties handed out either! So you qualify okay, and then you get smashed off the track, and then you lose the DR!? It makes NO sense to me. How are there no ramifications for punting people off the track? If damage was on for daily's would this fix it? if the people that punted you into a wall lost heaps of DR would this fix it? How is it justified when you get shunted off and go from 1st or second, to last or - close to last, to lose so many DR points is beyond me. The daily rules and point system need a HUGE overhaul.

From a GT Academy alumni, representing the game and my country in Silverstone, I'm pleading Polyphony and Playstation to get their **** together and fix this. There is no incentive to play if terrible behaviour is what gets rewarded. Lets make it about clean racing! NOT about shunting to win. You're panalising clean driving and rewarding bad driving. I even watched a fellow alumni in an FIA race last night at Fuji, and the behaviour was terrible as well!! Lets make some noise to get this fixed ASAP, to save a much loved game! To save what it used to stand for, and that's enjoyable racing and racecraft!

Please help!!

Lockdown = more people at home = more idiots ruining races, even in S rated splits, there's even one or two accounts who I've noticed will grind their way back up to S rated splits in order to deliberately ruin the race.

The idea world situation would be a protest + ban system like iRacing, but giving the number of active users in comparison to iRacing, you'd literally need a Facebook-like sweatshop

Even though I haven't had many personal issues with the penalty system, I'm personally more disappointed by how it seems like the Daily Races are semi-randomly generated via an algorithm, instead of using genuinely interesting regulations. For example, there could be a race that restricts players to using the two pickup trucks. Or there could at least bemore

Something that annoys me with dailys is the fact some people can't seem to understand what getting a run is. Instead they just go for it whenever they feel like it. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the current penality system because it feels like it's more wrong than right. To keep myself sane from it I just dont expect anyone getting one instead. I dont have problems with it most of the time because I mostly start at the front and build a gap most of the time or just let ppl be lerroy jekins on lap 1. and lose a spot or 2.

It kind of seems like PD favours player count over race quality, that, and they just trust people to play “properly” way to much.
Sadly for top end players, setting will cater to a larger %, who may play less frequently.

In my opinion Sony/PD is less to blame than FIA. FIA both in game and real life are pretty unclear on the rules.

I can't even imagine how much worse it would be like in real life. Months preparing, tons of money spent, then race over because a car taps you too hard. That'd be rough.

I never really thought about racers who never win before I started Sports Mode. The winner gets so much glory. I empathize so much more with the other non-winners now.

Thanks Gran Turismo. :irked:

Steve? It's Nick!

Congrats on the baby, welcome to GTP, unfortunately yes we've all been through this and it's a bit of an "adjustment" from what you'd expect, unfortunately FIA is where the focus is but yes dailies is where you can have a fang but don't expect clean driving. With a bit of experience you'll find where you can have fun or not, there are plenty of leagues out there, yes doesn't do anything for DR but could be more fun than dailies.

Last edited:
Steve? It's Nick!

Congrats on the baby, welcome to GTP, unfortunately yes we've all been through this and it's a bit of an "adjustment" from what you'd expect, unfortunately FIA is where the focus is but yes dailies is where you can have a fang but don't expect clean driving. With a bit of experience you'll find where you can have fun or not, there are plenty of leagues out there, yes doesn't do anything for DR but could be more fun than dailies.

Hey Nick!!! Long time!! Hope you're well!
Yeah seems like a lost cause.. even happening to Chris too. Gets on for daily and boom gets smashed off first corner. Not even the Aus winner of 2016 GT Academy isn't safe!
Let's race some time in a non shunty lobby!

The dailies are not a good place to be. It's a free for all demo derby most of the time and the DR/SR matching doesn't work well because the playerbase is not big enough (apart from Monday night when the new races come up) and you end getting players from DR B to DR A+ in a single room. I've stopped doing dailies since I got the platinum, because there is no point. It's just one off races, no reward, and too much to lose.

If you're a GTA finalist, I assume you're pretty handy behind the wheel. Just spend one weekend to get your DR up (anything above 55-60k is enough in Oceania to get into top split), and stick to the FIA races. Yes we still get a few numbskulls here and there but generally you race against the same people week in, week out and you learn each drivers' style and know which one you can trust and which to avoid. It's not a perfect system, but outside of joining private leagues (which could be hard for you due to time limitations), it's the best we've got for now.

This is why a lot of top drivers use an alternate account for daily races, as you might gain 50 DR for winning the race, but lose 2000+DR for getting wiped out and finishing near the back. It is pretty silly.

I would stick to race C for dailies. If you get wiped out at T1 then at least you have 20 minutes to try to get back to the front. I usually avoid Race A and B as they are generally a crapshoot.

FIA races are much 'safer' for building DR but it usually requires more practice

I have been playing GTS from day1 and in my opinion the penalty system is worse now than it was at the start. I have on a very small number of occasions deliberately punted drivers off into sand traps as retaliation for having been hit by them on previous laps. When I did this I ended their race and myself received no penalty. There will be a large set of players out there employing the same tactic in order to win as many races as possible.

It would be better if penalties were assigned to both cars in the event of a collision and/or damage turned on. My memory of the start of GTS was that collisions were to be avoided due to the penalties that would be assigned. I also remember at the start thinking that the penalty system made the game great fun to play online - and I still do think that. But the current version needs improving or going back to how it was.

I don't see any way of stopping people using alt accounts but I think they detract from the game and make it harder to get a well matched field of drivers of the same pace. When I see a D rated driver 2% off the top pace I don't think they are someone quick and new to the game!

Hey Nick!!! Long time!! Hope you're well!
Yeah seems like a lost cause.. even happening to Chris too. Gets on for daily and boom gets smashed off first corner. Not even the Aus winner of 2016 GT Academy isn't safe!
Let's race some time in a non shunty lobby!
Yeah man sounds good, what's your PSN? you can PM me if you don't want it public. Sometimes Chris and I are in the same FIA room and we have a little debrief every now and then as I do with a few other regulars.

It has been getting worse and worse. I used to average 13 races a day, reached A+ a couple times, almost reached A+ without qualifying on N24 yet now haven't even bothered to update the game yet.
mEEArVu.png

It all went wrong in December with the 1.53 update, and has only been getting worse since then.

I gave it a couple more tries on tracks I enjoy yet since the schools closed and the penalty system just keeps getting worse, it's now harder than ever to find clean racers on the track. It is still possible to get a decent race now and then, even from the back, but the frequency is so low, the penalty system so effed up, the weekly races on an endless repeat of the same limited combinations, it's not fun anymore.

The most effed up thing is that you're much more likely to get a fair clean race in SR.C than in SR.S nowadays. It's not just broken, it's working backwards. A/S is the worst place to be.

I haven't raced in dailies for months now. There's just too much chaos and people tryhard a lot for quali times. I just stick to FIA and league racing, but if Manufacturer becomes a flat out race with little strategy I'm going to lose interest fast.
Maybe I didn't have many issues with racers because I'm still climbing up the DR ladder

I don't see any way of stopping people using alt accounts but I think they detract from the game and make it harder to get a well matched field of drivers of the same pace. When I see a D rated driver 2% off the top pace I don't think they are someone quick and new to the game!

I myself have 1 or 2 alt accounts (I don't really use the 2nd one). I can't do much for the first 15 races to not finish first since everyone starts from 0, I use my alt for FIA and I use my main for fun stuff. I don't set times on two different accounts like some people do. Maybe if you could port your DR and SR to another account through some verification, this wouldn't happen.
Another issue is that some people intentionally lower their DR to win. This is most effective in FIA, where a position is worth 5-10 points.

Last edited:
Another issue is that some people intentionally lower their DR to win. This is most effective in FIA, where a position is worth 5-10 points

Lowering your DR is way less effective in FIA actually because lower DRs get far less points and the system works like this exactly to avoid these situations. If you are in FIA to compete and eventually go to World Tour events, the only thing you want to do is to get into high DR splits. Otherwise a win is as a good as any other win in dailies really.

You can implement whatever penalties you want but most people aren't competitive and are only there to have fun by ramming people and ruining races. It's a sad reality we live in.

The thing is, if penalties would be really harsh and effective, rammers would constantly be lapping at the back by themselves and that's not fun for them so they would be gone eventually or behave at least.

Lowering your DR is way less effective in FIA actually because lower DRs get far less points and the system works like this exactly to avoid these situations. If you are in FIA to compete and eventually go to World Tour events, the only thing you want to do is to get into high DR splits. Otherwise a win is as a good as any other win in dailies really.
I'm not talking about WT finalists. Especially in low DR lobbies quite a few times there's someone above the pace expected for that DR. Having an easy race in first in a slightly lower split gives more points than battling in the midfield in a higher split, I know this because at the start of the season I scored a few wins, then I kind of hit my ceiling and I scored 30-40 points less because I was constantly battling (and sometimes getting punted).
Also you get 0 points for finishing last in a top split while the second split winner gets 330 points or something. That seems kinda unfair, you did the extra work to get a higher DR.

Back