DFP vs DFGT ONLY, please help me decide!!

Just bought the DFGT today, after getting a cheap EX I decided to upgrade after 3 months of using what I thought was a decent wheel in the EX.....how shocked was I at the difference! Don't get me wrong, the EX is a good wheel, compareable to the 360 unit I had but if you take a game like FC as an example, it was practicaly unplayable on the EX, and now with the GT it's a fantastic game! Anyway I'm waffeling on. My advice is go with the the one you can afford, saving a few pounds by getting a cheaper wheel just means your "getting a cheaper wheel" by that I mean "not as good"

Well my second DFP bit the dust yesterday and I didn't have the cash for a G25 and am hoping to pick up the rumored GT5 Wireless G25 when its released, and since I couldn't find anyone nearby selling a used DFP, I picked up a DFGT for $99 (boxing week sale).

I was one of the people who recommended you get a used DFP and save up for the G25, and I stand by that, but I think the DFGT is a very nice wheel and I think you'd be happier with it than the DFP as long as you're 100% sure you won't want to upgrade to a G25 in the near future.

What, the g25 padals work with the dfgt wheel on the ps3?

Yes, they do. The DB-9 plugs are not interchangeable both because the pinouts are different and the DF-GT plug is keyed, so what I did was unplug the harness inside the pedal assembly and connect it to the equivalent pots on the G25 pedals (which I'd already removed from the plastic casing and mounted independently).

About the only hiccup is that one of the pots is facing in a different direction so you just have to be careful about which pin you connect the common and signal wires to (it will be pretty obvious if you get it wrong as the pedal operation will be reversed).

Yes, they do. The DB-9 plugs are not interchangeable both because the pinouts are different and the DF-GT plug is keyed, so what I did was unplug the harness inside the pedal assembly and connect it to the equivalent pots on the G25 pedals (which I'd already removed from the plastic casing and mounted independently).

About the only hiccup is that one of the pots is facing in a different direction so you just have to be careful about which pin you connect the common and signal wires to (it will be pretty obvious if you get it wrong as the pedal operation will be reversed).

Wow good stuff. Is it possible you could post a picture of this set up, I would like to give this a try.

Thanks. 👍

I have the Pro. This is my second Pro and this one has the same problem as the first one...after continued use, the right shifter paddle only works when it wants to. Initially, it'll start upshifting two gears...then it makes up for it by not shifting when you tell it to.

I'm not going to buy the G25, so it looks like I'll be buying the GT in the next few days.

I have the Pro. This is my second Pro and this one has the same problem as the first one...after continued use, the right shifter paddle only works when it wants to. Initially, it'll start upshifting two gears...then it makes up for it by not shifting when you tell it to.

I'm not going to buy the G25, so it looks like I'll be buying the GT in the next few days.

Yep, exact same thing claimed both of my Driving Force Pro's. Right side paddle on both of them. Worst part is that my new Driving Force GT's paddles look to be an IDENTICAL design. :ouch:

wow strop, that is very impressive 👍

i have searched for a couple of hours on the subject of using g25 pedals with a dfgt wheel, and i've only found this topic and some other info on the 'leo usb adaptor':

http://leobodnar.com/products/DFPG25conn/

could you answer a few questions i have on the diy subject please? :dunce:

being that i have no electronics experience, would you say that this mod is difficult?

can you direct me to any info on the web that might help me to do this?

..and lastly, i see in your pictures that you have mounted your pedals independently without the casing. you mention that 'one of the pots is facing in a different direction'. would i be able to complete this mod and re-assemble all the pedals back into the original plastic casing?

thank you so much for any help! :)

andy

Either of those are a good choice, OP. I've owned my DFP since 2005, and despite all the problems reported on the net, mine still works like a champ. That's not to say I don't -want- a DFGT or G25, but the reality is I just can't justify spending $100+ on a new wheel when mine still works.

Now, as someone said already (he hit the nail on the head in my opinion) if what you say is true (cheaper is good) then go for the DFP, definetly. However, if you can afford to drop a few more bucks on the DFGT then you should definetly go for the DFGT. At the end of the day, the fact is that either choice will be a good investment and your racing experience will only improve.

I own a G25, and I always considered it expensive until I bit the bullet and bought it. I must say worth every single penny I paid.

If you seriously can't stretch that far with your finances go fro the DFGT.
But, My DFGT from best buy was about 190$ if you ask me, That's still to expencive

thanks for the response :) but i guess my particular question is a little off topic, and only relates to combining the g25's pedals with the dfgt wheel. i currently own a dfp (selling soon) and a g25. ive also had a dfgt. i want to sell my g25 though and go back to the dfgt.

for me the best combination would be a dfgt wheel with g25 pedals. i drift and need smooth and accurate range in the clutch for clutch kicks. i want to know if its going to be worth me selling my g25 for less, and keep the pedals, or sell the g25 as a full package and get a higher price for it.

and as a response to what you are saying, imo the dfgt leaves the dfp way way behind in performance. especially when using big steering degrees like 720 or 900 for drifting. my dfp feels like it has cement setting around the steering column. :boggled:

You can find a G25 for like $250 if you search around... I've never used the DFP or DFGT but my G25 with the playseat evo chair with the shifter mount is excellent...

Also, the bar in the middle doesn't bother me at all, I can heel-toe, left foot brake, etc... it really doesn't get in the way at all.

I travelled a similar route as jonboy... controller... after a LONG time... DFP..... then Playseat... etc etc... I still have my DFP though.. still works alright... next step for me though is the G25! 👍 Cant' wait :D As for DFGT vs DFP... I havent played on a DFGT yet... I have felt a G25... but I think in your case it would be better to go for a DFGT... as stated before it has updated parts and it the new version of the DFP IMO.... 👍

cte: I don't think that people realize that you revived a really old thread to ask a new question. You might want to post a new thread. Maybe in the steering wheel forum.

Back