Diamonds are soft and other scientific missunderstandings

• Thread starter OdeFinn
  • 85 comments
Umm... ok. :confused:

The clue is in the name. That's why they call it hard vacuum. Because you fly out into space, and once there's less than three particles per cubic metre it becomes impenetrable.

It's the only thing that's standing between us and the alien invasion. Once the greys get their vacuum diamond mines going and drill through the hard vacuum we've all had it.

I think OP is arguing for the fun of it. I think they are arguing semantics. Their arguement reminds me of those internet memes going around that say "water isn't wet because it can't make itself wet, only objects"

Regardless, their argument has no merit. The very definition of hardness is as follows from Merriam-Webster:

"1: the quality or state of being hard.
2 a : the cohesion of the particles on the surface of a mineral as determined by its capacity to scratch another or be itself scratched — compare mohs' scale.
2 b : resistance of metal to indentation under a static load or to scratching"

By this definition, sound, and the ability to transmit sound is not a factor of hardness. Diamonds are a mineral and should their hardness should not be determined by any method except those from geological sciences.

If OPs argument is true, then the better an object transmits sound, the softer it is. Since you cannot hear sounds from far away underwater, does this make water harder than solid?

I think OP is arguing for the fun of it. In my head, they are arguing semantics, same with those internet memes going around that "water isn't wet because it can't make itself wet, only objects"

particle man
Is he a dot, or is he a speck?
When he's underwater does he get wet?
Or does the water get him instead?
Nobody knows, Particle man

What does it mean to get wet? It means you have liquid on the surface. Does water? Yes.

Is he a dot, or is he a speck?
When he's underwater does he get wet?
Or does the water get him instead?
Nobody knows, Particle man.
Always upvote TMBG.

Compared to ice, all water is hot.

Seawater freezes at a lower temperature than freshwater.

booya_good_sir_postcard-r8ae7cc92ed6b4ec6bff9b74ef828c687_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

On the weekend, Toronto hit a record windchill low of -37C. I've been letting all the flatfoot John Does know that that's actually hot weather; they're just using the wrong definition of cold, you see.

I think OP is arguing for the fun of it
Not quite. The OP is arguing because he, for some reason, thinks the thing's he's saying are facts. He seems to fumble through topics telling everyone that their definitions are wrongs, throws a few big words here and there to try to fool you into thinking he might know what he's talking about, and then kind of just disappears.

Known thing, but not relevant to this, or doesn't change main "claim".

If OPs argument is true, then the better an object transmits sound, the softer it is. Since you cannot hear sounds from far away underwater, does this make water harder than solid?

Orginal argument comes bit further back on history and it is exaggerated on the way, doesn't make it "wrong", but people are constantly spreading context wider.
I have just good laugh on this, that's enough for me, expressing this deeper on English is always making things funnier, some just want to read my texts as devil reading bible, and I understand why, but don't care. ;)

Have you ever seen someone using a saw to cut into cement or any kind of stone? Want to take a guess what they do to the saw blades to give them that ability?

That's right, they affix diamonds to the blades.

So either diamonds are extremely hard, or rocks are actually softer than a roll of Charmin.

Have you ever seen someone using a saw to cut into cement or any kind of stone? Want to take a guess what they do to the saw blades to give them that ability?

That's right, they affix diamonds to the blades.

So either diamonds are extremely hard, or rocks are actually softer than a roll of Charmin.

You don't wipe your butt with rolls of cement like all the rest of the non flat footed john doe's in this world? Man you're missing out on the superior comfort.

It's rather relevant to your claim that it was no different, in fact it contradicts it completely.
Non relevant, if we take all aspects on table then we don't have room left. Main idea isn't needing full opening of sound physics, not relevant to dig deeper. I know at that document contains just same things which I'm saying, but not relevant data to table.

And now whole queer stands and sings how this must be on table.. ;)

Non relevant, if we take all aspects on table then we don't have room left. Main idea isn't needing full opening of sound physics, not relevant to dig deeper. I know at that document contains just same things which I'm saying, but not relevant data to table.

Odd how you cry real physics when you think it supports your claim and then want to throw it off the table as soon as it doesn't.

It's now two claims you have made that are not supported by any source or evidence.

Fancy going for the hat-trick?

I’ve read that three times now and I still have no idea what any of it means.

But Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

But Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

I literally have no idea what either of you are saying.

Bottom line. Diamond is a mineral and should be described by geology only. Geology says it is very hard.

End. Of. Story.

We can close this thread now lol

I have just good laugh on this, that's enough for me, expressing this deeper on English is always making things funnier, some just want to read my texts as devil reading bible, and I understand why, but don't care. ;)
I think I've read enough of your posts to understand how you communicate, enough to know I usually disagree with you. I have to ask though, is the language barrier real or is it just one more element you use for enjoyment purposes?

Back