Did your parents own any cool cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter benzoboy
  • 80 comments
  • 3,520 views
YSSMAN, those Grand Sports are super sexy--I'd love to have one of those in my classic car collection. But why is a Prelude in this thread? It can't be considered cool--especially older ones as they were just point A to point B econoboxes.
 
Oldsmobile Toronado's are by far one of the oddest yet coolest cars I've ever seen.
 
BlazinXtreme
GAH someone actually owned a BRAT??? I think I've seen 1 my entire life.
Yup – it’s an amazing little booger. 11 forward speeds + reverse, T-top roof with pop-up moonroofs (you pop them up by hand, of course), middle headlight for super-high-beam use, flying buttresses two decades before they became popular, and those awkward rear-facing suicide seats, being there for the sole purpose of avoiding a 25% import tax on trucks.

It’s a conglomerate of interesting ideas with a rather unfortunate backronym.
 
Um... my dad owned quite a few cars. A BRAT included.

The cool ones I remember were an International Scout, a 1969 Olds. Cutlass Supreme convertible (more on that below), and a '67 Firebird convertible. And the current Mercedes 300SD.

The Cutlass: 1969 Olds. Cutlass Supreme convertible. We were either the second or third owners, with the previous ones being relatives. Garaged almost all the time since new. White exterior on a blue interior. Rocket 350 engine. Power top, power windows, power antenna, everything. The way it was optioned out, it was one of 24 produced, and likely one of only a dozen or less still around. Decent condition, but by no means perfect. Unfortunately we sold it for a tidy sum just before muscle car prices shot up. My dad is still kicking himself for that one.
 
JCE3000GT
YSSMAN, those Grand Sports are super sexy--I'd love to have one of those in my classic car collection. But why is a Prelude in this thread? It can't be considered cool--especially older ones as they were just point A to point B econoboxes.

Why? I love that '89 with all my heart. It was one of the first memorable cars I ever rode in, and my Grandfather still drives it to this day. She still has less than 130,000 miles on the odo. and purrs like a kitten. I was origionally supposed to have the car for my first car (there were plenty more competing for that spot, including a '70 Malibu SS, '77 Trans-Am Blk w/Screamin' Chicken, '69 El Camino SS 396, but money problems arose later on...). I guess I include the '89 because I still think it is one of the best looking cars to ever grace the shores of the US, drives like a dream, and really was something different for the time.

Ohhh, and I forgot to mention a wide variety of Impala's my Grandparents had throughout the years, including an origional 1962 Impala SS, and a 1964 Impala SS...
 
My father was into imports at the time but back then imports were American cars :)

He had plenty of Pontiac's and even made a Pontiac car club, then later liked to restore older cars, some cars from memory

1968 Pontiac GTO 400HO with full options (like concealed headlights etc) which he swapped the 1969 455HO into.

60's Pontiac leman's (with big engines)
60's Pontiac Grand prixs (with big engines, 389 with multiple carbs from memory)
60's Pontiac Tempests
1967 Chevrolet Camaro (owned it briefly)
1939 Pontiac
1953 Pontiac
1927 Dodge brothers
1983 Pontiac Trans am (5.0L HO)
1979 Cadillac Coupe deville (was like new some old guy owned it)
1985 Chevrolet Suburban fully loaded
VW beetle (mum owned)
Mini (mum owned)
Datsun 1200 coupe (my mum owned it), great car my mum drove it and my dad never needed to work on it.

I would have forgot many but doesn't matter

He did import to Australia many many other cars for other people that include alot of Trans ams, Camaro's, Thunderbirds, Cadillacs, Lincolns etc. Also some of the cars I mentioned might not be interesting to Americans but they are very rare over here.
 
My dad owned the coolest jeeps in the world, Toyota FJ/H(?)40, BH40



Now, those were nice but that was 10 years ago when he still had his Toyota garage.
 
Ummm, I think you need to check your definition of a Jeep there. A Jeep is a Jeep, no ifs, ands or buts about it... Your talking about Land Cruisers, completely different animals compared to the Jeep CJ, TJ, etc.
 
exigeracer
That's a MkIII.

Of all the freakin'...

I'm not in the mood to find another one right now.
 
My dad first owned a 65 440 Coronet, then a 73 Land Cruiser FJ55 (with a 3 speed). The 70 Mach 1 was his dream car before he emigrated here from the Phillipines and I took that.
 
My das has a Honda Civic Type R (2003), 20th anniversary edition as second car.
 
My old man is 63 and he's had a few nice cars.
One of them was an AMC AMX. He says it got terrible gas milage when he first got it bout after a few oil changes it was better.
 
My old man kept a butt-load of interesting cars about the place while I was growing up.
The first car I remember was:
a Kelly green 1955 Chevy 2-door.
Then the 1962 T-Bird Landau,
a 1966 Mustang,
A Falcon 2-door wagon,
a 1964 Falcon Sprint with a V-8,
A '70 Country Squire with a 429 SCJ
Three 1969-1970 Austin Americasn (one for driving, two for parts)
Mom had a '74 Mercedes 280 Sedan
and is currently driving a '99 or '00 Caddilac De Ville (Old people car to be sure, but damn fast for a "land yacht")
 
My dad had a VW Bug.
 
I'm rather jealous :(

My parents havent owned anything remotely interesting. That is, unless you have a fetish for Ford Sierras and Daihatsu Charades...
 
Oh! I forgot...

http://www.zensurweb.com/cars/capri/capri5.jpg
Ford Capri 2.0 (Dad)

My dad used to race his brother's Escort back in the day

And... (Very recently)

http://www.applecarleasing.co.uk/images/special_offers/C CLASS COUPE 2.gif
Mercedes-Benz C180K Evo Panorama Sport Coupe (Mum)

The Evo Panorama means it gets leather and a panoramic sunroof... now my mum has a saloon version, same colour, half leather and no sunroof...

...I'll miss the coupe

EDIT: Even more I've forgotten about!

http://www.dippy.org/photo/nonstock/ns04.jpg
Chrysler LeBaron 1977 (Dad)

http://www.avonhill.com/thumbnails/convertible/1980_Triumph_TR7.jpeg
Triumph TR7 (Dad)
 
My dad has had a Fiero and a 1st gen Miata. Maybe his older 328i counts, too. His current car is probably the coolest, though, a 6spd Infiniti G35 Coupe.

My mom, at various times, has owned a '48 Chevy, a VW Van, and a Triumph TR4. Sadly, she now drives..... a Prius.
 
Your dad had both a Fiero and a 1st gen Miata and lived? Wow that's a pretty good feat.
 
1969 AMC Javelin SST 390 in Big Bad Orange beat that suckaz
 
BMWteamPTG
my dad owned an original 240z

naias2001-nissan-z4.jpg


Hey so did mine! He trashed it doing 120mph in the Rocky mountains though...those things are indestructible! I know of another guy who got HIT BY A TRAIN in one and lived.

He now owns one of these:
Stealth-Cruiser.jpg


...although decomissioned.
 
My mum used to drive a Mini, I find that quite cool, I love Mini's.
 
My family's new immigrant to Canada so no cool cars yet. An 1990 Olds 88 Royale Broughham, the range-topper. Has the amenities (sp?) and I love the car.

My mom's friend's brother has a Bricklin SV-1 which is rated one of the top 10 most mint Bricklins around - its never been altered. I wish I had him as a dad :D
 
My parents never drove anything even remotely cool (unless your name's Mazkid) - a sucession of Mazda econoboxes, preceded by a Nissan Prarie (sp). My mum currently drives a Ford Probe, and my dad a 13-year-old Vauxhall Astra. Hell, even my grandparents never had interesting cars (a Renault 19, followed by a Citroen Xsara).
 
My Dad compertitivly Drag Raced his '69 Grand Prix SJ (only 116 built)
Then he had to many kids, The car now rests behind a barn in his backyard, but may soon seek redemption via my brother.
He also had a Datsun 240Z at some point, but I think that may have been before the GP
And recently, he had a 99 Mustang GT, but since, has settled down and now drives an exciting 96 Dodge Stratus.

My mon had a 69 GTO, of which she planned to turn into some kind of race car (not sure if Drag or road) but it never got finished, and I never got to see it.

and people ask why me and my bro drive to damn fast
 
1967 Shelby GT500 Conv't (There is a sad story behind this, and my mom is a [female dog] for it)

2 1970s Challengers (Purple R/T and orange)
1 Blue Dodge Charger
1 1968 Ford Mustang
69(?) Corvette

Towards the end of my parents relationship and during there divorce all of these cars were forced to be sold, and my dad is now stuck with an 04 Nissan Altima
 
Now thats a huge loss....I feel sorry for you. Image. You could've owned all those!
 
That REALLY sucks. An original '67 GT500 CONV!?

That's some rare car right there.:guilty:
 
Back