Different countries golden ages for cars.

England
St helens, merseyside, England.
crazybuttocks198
Crazybuttocks19
I was thinking about how great the 90's was for Japanese cars and then that got me wondering when we're other countries 'golden age's?

Stylistically speaking, I think American cars looked the most striking during the 50's and 60's "tailfin" era, as seen on cars like the Caddy Eldorado Biarritz, Chevy Bel Air, Ford T-Bird and the Plymouth Fury. But the real golden period for American cars was just after that, in the mid-sixties, with the introduction of the Pontiac Tempest GTO in 1964 as the first muscle car, and a period of similar cars that would last until briefly until the early 70's, when the energy crisis - brought on by tensions in the middle east - and harsher emission laws choked that era to death. And I would personally say the Italian mid engine supercar period started around the same time with the Lamborghini Miura in 66', which was relaced by the Countach in 74', which made Ferrari finally take Lamborghini as a serious rival and notice the advantages of a mid engine layout for high performance road cars. First with the introduction of the little Dino 246 in 67', than the full blown competitor to the Miura with the 365 Boxer which was later upgraded to the 512BB. Companies like Maserati, with the Bora and Merak, and De Tomaso, with the Mangusta and Pantera would also emerge as competitors during that period. And even road homologation versions of rally cars by Lancia, in the Stratos and much later 037. Incidentally, this was probably the greatest era in car design, as nearly all the cars I have mentioned where penned by possibly the three greatest car designers of all time, in my opinion; Giorgetto Giugiaro, Marcello Gandini and Leonardo Fioravanti. Coincidentally, all three were born in Italy and in the year of 1938.​

Last edited:
I think British cars are at one of their greatest times currently. I've never wanted so many of them. 720S, 600LT, Atom 4, Range Rovers, Jaguar F-Type, Aston DBS, Aston Valkyrie, Rolls has a new phantom, an SUV and a really cool coupe (wraith)... That said, most of those are not completely British :lol:

Canada has never really had a Golden Age unless you count race cars, which would be the early 2000s to 2017.
I think Canada's automotive golden age was between the 1890's and the 1930's. By the late 1920's, Canada had about 75 automakers. The key to their success was importing the majority of their cars down south. Before the 17.5 % tariff on imported cars, Canada for the most part didn't make cars owned by American manufacters.

Some true Canadian cars:
1903 Redpath Messenger
Redpath-1903.jpg

1909 Kennedy
Canadian-Automotive-Museum-By-Jil-McIntosh-20.jpg

1910 Mckay Roadster
61TEgQwbkuL.jpg

1925 Brooks Steamer
image_resize.php

1930 Marquette Model 34
model34sportsroadster.jpg

I think the golden era for Australian cars would have to be the 70's, where Chrysler, Holden, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Volkswagen and even Leyland were making cars down here. Now look what we have...

Back