Digital Foundry Publishes Project CARS 2 Console Performance Results

If this really is true i'm surprised DF did not mention it because they usually do that in their videos when something is missing. .

DF mention it in the video that perhaps playing the game at 1080p screen with 1:1 pixel mapping gives the best quality on consoles ... that implies 1080p rendering and all Pro enhancements.

Either DF guys didn't test 1080p output and they are guessing or @Fifi is seeing things.

Honestly play the game on a 1080p screen. First on PS4, then on PS4 pro. If you se any graphical improvements, all my apolgies for mistaking. I have read digital foundry and saw their video. Then I launched the game and saw surprisingly no graphical difference on my 1080p screen between PS4 and PS4 Pro, that is a fact. I have down the same test for F1 2017 on the same 1080p too and this night and Day between PS4 and PS4 Pro. F1 2017 looks pretty bad on PS4 and gorgeous on PS4 Pro with downsampling (despise a lot of issues) it looks really cleaner and sharper on PS4 Pro and full of aliasing on PS4. That is all I have to say.

The PS4 Pro is very under rated and powerful and there are quite a few games out running 2160 60fps. This is a good thread on the latest PS4 Pro games and what they are running. The good thing about this chart is they compare to Standard PS4. Worth 5 mins to read through all the games. I didn't know PES17&18 were 2160 60fps on Pro. 👍 They have Pcars 2 as 1440 60fps (with tears in full grid)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251

Honestly play the game on a 1080p screen. First on PS4, then on PS4 pro.

I don't have standard PS4 (and the game, yet) so I can't test it ... can you provide some screenshots? Things that are better on the Pro like track detail, lighting or LOD are harder to see.
Of course there is no downsampling if game renders at 1080p.

No I can't for F1 2017 and Project Cars 2 I've down the test with a friend who have a PS4 and the two games then he took back his PS4. But launch the PS4 Pro with PC 2 on an 1080p screen and look at jaggies and at poor shadows quality you will see that it's impossible you have downsampling for this game not 1080p with ultra settings. Read on this forum the post about "ps4 pro enhancement revealed" you will see Ian never answered about one question : "is there downsampling support for PS4 Pro". And this just my observation, maybe there is 1080p improvements but I don't see it, but I'm sure the game has no supersampling. And one more time I love PC2, I just expect better PS4 Pro enhancement for 1080p screen users.

Last edited:
Awful, I just tried it. Feels somehow unresponsive and unpredictably twitchy at the same time, as stupid as that sounds. It's no better than the first game, in fact it might be worse, but it is very different. Some may like it, I don't know.

I disagree strongly with this, the controller feel and use is improved greatly from the first game. It's not as slick as GT or Forza is with a controller but still, very good.

With good controller settings it's great ! But it takes time to find your settings for your driving style and then you really feel the car :)

Sorry if I am not precise enough
you are trying your best lol but we need other people who can back up what you say but yeah I'm leaning towards a normal situation where you get all enhancements on any monitor. Maybe something is wrong with your version? you never know. Maybe physical/Digital copy makes a difference?

you are trying your best lol but we need other people who can back up what you say but yeah I'm leaning towards a normal situation where you get all enhancements on any monitor. Maybe something is wrong with your version? you never know. Maybe physical/Digital copy makes a difference?

I don't know maybe you're right. All that I can say is that I see a lot of aliasing and low quality effects (shadows, cars details)

Honestly play the game on a 1080p screen. First on PS4, then on PS4 pro. If you se any graphical improvements, all my apolgies for mistaking. I have read digital foundry and saw their video. Then I launched the game and saw surprisingly no graphical difference on my 1080p screen between PS4 and PS4 Pro, that is a fact. I have down the same test for F1 2017 on the same 1080p too and this night and Day between PS4 and PS4 Pro. F1 2017 looks pretty bad on PS4 and gorgeous on PS4 Pro with downsampling (despise a lot of issues) it looks really cleaner and sharper on PS4 Pro and full of aliasing on PS4. That is all I have to say.

Well this is not good news. I have a normal PS4 and I am extremely disappointed with the graphics. I have a 42" 4K TV running through a 4K compatible sound system and it looks terrible. Everything is jagged and pixelated. PC1 looked so much better.

I have tried all kinds of different settings to make it better, but nothing really helps. Took almost all the "sharp" and a lot of the "contrast" out of the screen and that was the most helpful. But it still doesn't look nearly as good as PC1.

I never played Assetto Corsa because I couldn't get past the graphics. I wish PC2 looked as good as Assetto Corsa now, because I feel it's much worse.

My hope was to save money for the Pro to fix this issue, but from what you said above, it doesn't look like it will help much.

Everything else about the game so far I like, but if it looks like crap, what difference does it make. :indiff:

SMS will improve the game I'm confident. At release PC1 on Xbox One was catastrophic I remember. But SMS did an amazing job to improve the game and finally it becames a terrific racing game, not perfect but awsome.

I've got Xbox One and last night I ran Donington and noticed that after turn 1 and you started down the hill that the trees along the left side of the track just start popping into view instead of being smaller and then getting larger as you approached. When they popped in the did it in sort of an irregular block of pixels at a time. What is that, framerate problem? I'm not familiar with the terms.

I've got Xbox One and last night I ran Donington and noticed that after turn 1 and you started down the hill that the trees along the left side of the track just start popping into view instead of being smaller and then getting larger as you approached. When they popped in the did it in sort of an irregular block of pixels at a time. What is that, framerate problem? I'm not familiar with the terms.

Popping is with framesdrops a global performance issue I think. Xbox One has not enough power for PC2 but maybe they will succeed to improve global game performance with time.

I'm more concerned with how it handles on the standard ps4 controller, anyone tried it yet ?

Awful, I just tried it. Feels somehow unresponsive and unpredictably twitchy at the same time, as stupid as that sounds. It's no better than the first game, in fact it might be worse, but it is very different. Some may like it, I don't know.
I've found the opposite. I absolutely love the controller feel on the DS4.

GT was my gold standard for controller feel. PC1 was insanely difficult, took me over a year to get the settings dialed.

PC2 though, I spent maybe 1/2 hour adjusting settings, and have found something that works very well for me, across a variety of cars from different eras.

I have my dead zones really low, less than 10. My steering sensitivity is 35, throttle sensitivity is 40, and brake sensitivity is 45.

Any higher on the steering sensitivity starts to feel twitchy, any higher on the throttle makes the gas too responsive for me, causing me to spin on corner exit.

Overall though, for me, the controller feels 100x better than PC1.

Few Pro Users reporting in. Good performance (as we already knew from the DF video) And I don't see many complaining about graphics? Shadows are bad but aliasing problems isn't mentioned yet. Maybe they're all on 4K lol
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/how-is-ps4-pro-performance.359300/

God I hope that's not the case, but am starting to think it might be exactly that. Because if everyone else was seeing the game that I am seeing, there sure as h%@# would be a lot more complaining on here. It's bad.

Good thing I spent the extra money to get that 4K TV. **SIGH** :banghead:

Well this is not good news. I have a normal PS4 and I am extremely disappointed with the graphics. I have a 42" 4K TV running through a 4K compatible sound system and it looks terrible. Everything is jagged and pixelated. PC1 looked so much better.

I have tried all kinds of different settings to make it better, but nothing really helps. Took almost all the "sharp" and a lot of the "contrast" out of the screen and that was the most helpful. But it still doesn't look nearly as good as PC1.

I never played Assetto Corsa because I couldn't get past the graphics. I wish PC2 looked as good as Assetto Corsa now, because I feel it's much worse.

My hope was to save money for the Pro to fix this issue, but from what you said above, it doesn't look like it will help much.

Everything else about the game so far I like, but if it looks like crap, what difference does it make. :indiff:

I'm glad you posted, as you confirmed my own issues with the graphics. I've got a 55" 4K with a base PS4, and PC2 doesn't look very good. I would say the cars models are decent, but the environment and textures are rough.

AC does indeed look better on the same screen, by the way. Obviously SMS is doing a lot more with their game engine than Kunos, given the dynamic time of day, weather and livetrack. But I've definitely been looking enviously over at our pc master race brethren.

I'm glad you posted, as you confirmed my own issues with the graphics. I've got a 55" 4K with a base PS4, and PC2 doesn't look very good. I would say the cars models are decent, but the environment and textures are rough.

Yes, exactly.

And as you said, other games look great on it. I don't get it.

Yes, graphics are overhyped. Jaggy shadows, average lighting model which often looks flat, bad tarmac textures (blurry and often fake looking like blotchy, hardly any real world detail like tire marks in corern entrys or exists). Kind of disappointing, the engine has the power but the assets just aren't well crafted it feels, some of the cars are too lowres as well

To be fair, historic spa is old as hell and im sure barley anyone would know what does the track look like when driving on it

I know it's old, it's from PC1 development, and was pulled from the final product due to not being of a high enough quality, at least that's what I've read both here and at the official forum. So it wasn't good enough for PC1, but has been thrown into PC2 anyway. Remind you of anyone? I wasn't a fan of PS2 quality assets in GT5 and 6 on the PS3, so seeing what is essentially a PS2 quality track on a second gen PS4 game is just plain funny. Obviously SMS just wanted to throw every circuit they could into the game to have the track count to boast about, but when I see the quality of some of these tracks, Spa being the worst offender, it begs the question: Why would they want people to associate their brand new game in late 2017 with graphics from over ten years ago? I just find it odd to be honest.

As for "barley anyone would know what does the track look like when driving on it": for one, that would have nothing to do with my point about the terrible graphics of the circuit in-game, and two, it's plainly false, because that circuit was used by F1 until 1970, and continued to see use in other series' until the late '70s. As such, there's quite a bit of footage, even colour footage, of the old circuit in action.

I disagree strongly with this, the controller feel and use is improved greatly from the first game. It's not as slick as GT or Forza is with a controller but still, very good.

I've found the opposite. I absolutely love the controller feel on the DS4.

GT was my gold standard for controller feel. PC1 was insanely difficult, took me over a year to get the settings dialed.

PC2 though, I spent maybe 1/2 hour adjusting settings, and have found something that works very well for me, across a variety of cars from different eras.

I have my dead zones really low, less than 10. My steering sensitivity is 35, throttle sensitivity is 40, and brake sensitivity is 45.

Any higher on the steering sensitivity starts to feel twitchy, any higher on the throttle makes the gas too responsive for me, causing me to spin on corner exit.

Overall though, for me, the controller feels 100x better than PC1.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. As I said, I found it very different, but also no better. I've also read a lot of comments in forums and on social media that seem to agree with this assessment. Like I said, some people might like it, and obviously you guys do, which is good for you, but I think it's awful and makes the cars feel floaty and weird.

This is the oddest sentiment I've heard in a while. Are you trying to say that if a 12 year old were playing this game then suddenly it's performance under these conditions wouldn't matter? :lol:

If that isn't moving goalposts, I don't know what is.

'Ideal conditions' aren't DF's gig, stress tests are. Although, they don't look too hot at this whole driving malarky either..
Nah - I'm saying that as a game reviewer, not playing the game correctly, s/he won't be getting the full experience. A 12-year old's driving tactics (not all because I've seen a few very good drivers of that age in the past) is, as we mostly know, a punt-their-way-to-the-front-style and that will fudge up how the game performs - ergo: not an ideal approach for a game review of any kind.

I'd have thought the punting would have unbalanced the stress test aspect, as the AI cars are suddenly behaving outside of expectations where physics are concerned; so, nothing about the performance not mattering - not really sure how you saw that.

Okay, it's a given they are more interested in the stress tests aspect - but still, it just comes across as bloody unprofessional. That's my point.

Nah - I'm saying that as a game reviewer, not playing the game correctly, s/he won't be getting the full experience. A 12-year old's driving tactics (not all because I've seen a few very good drivers of that age in the past) is, as we mostly know, a punt-their-way-to-the-front-style and that will fudge up how the game performs - ergo: not an ideal approach for a game review of any kind.

I'd have thought the punting would have unbalanced the stress test aspect, as the AI cars are suddenly behaving outside of expectations where physics are concerned; so, nothing about the performance not mattering - not really sure how you saw that.

Okay, it's a given they are more interested in the stress tests aspect - but still, it just comes across as bloody unprofessional. That's my point.
This isn't a review though, DF simply test the technical performance of video games.

Back