Dirt 3 Hands On Impressions?

• Thread starter wills2084
  • 83 comments
I had a great time with Dirt 2 but it lacked some of the hill climbing from Dirt 1. I still have yet to play a rally game as fun as Rallisport Challenge 2.

-Does Dirt 3 have hill climbing?
-Lots of muddy hill climbing like in Rallisport Challenge 2?
-How is the online?
-Does it still have "center axis" turning?
-Lots of water puddles?
-Does mud and debris pile up on the cars?

Totally agree, rally ports challenge was the best rally game ever.

Oh ya Rallisport Challange 2 was great fun... I remember spending countless hours playing this with my friends through the night going into the morning hours during the 2002 Fifa World Cup in Korea/Japan as the games where airing inconvieniently throughout the night here on the east coast. I played this the other week on my Xbox with the wheel I had... man it was shocking at how much fun I had with that game and wheel, as we are spoiled with FFB these days, I can't imagine having fun with that setup these days.
I really enjoyed Dirt 1 though, I played that enough too... I'll grab Dirt 3 this weekend.

I was hesitant on picking this up for 2 reasons-

1- Never got into Rally racing or Gymkhana
2- Car steering and control

....but I am very happy I decided to give it a shot. I am only a few races in and am very pleased. This style of racing is quickly becoming my new favorite.

The car steering is really good, actually it is perfect so far.

Using the DFGT and so far no issues, later I will mess with the advanced controls to see if I can make the settings tighter, but the default settings are set pretty decent.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

I think your on your own on that one. Dirt2 was garbage, and still is. NOt sure what wheel your using but mine goes over 180 degress. GYMKHANA would be impossible if it didnt.

The DFGT on a PS3 doesnt go over 180. I have not seen anyone with a video that shows a wheel going over 180 degrees on a PS3 yet.

Thats your opinion about Dirt2. Just like mine is Dirt3 is a dissapointment. The topic is FIRST IMPRESSIONS, not "do you agree with the feedback".

The DFGT on a PS3 doesnt go over 180. I have not seen anyone with a video that shows a wheel going over 180 degrees on a PS3 yet.

Thats your opinion about Dirt2. Just like mine is Dirt3 is a dissapointment. The topic is FIRST IMPRESSIONS, not "do you agree with the feedback".

I know, I was just giving it.

heres video I took.

I know, I was just giving it.

heres video I took.

LOL. Ummm...every DFGT does that.

NOW....do that in DIRT3...and have the WHEELS on the vehicle, in your game move BEYOND the 180 degree turn.

Wow...no offense but you dont understand my point. Steerling lock in game is different than how far you can turn the hardware wheel.

LOL. Ummm...every DFGT does that.

NOW....do that in DIRT3...and have the WHEELS on the vehicle, in your game move BEYOND the 180 degree turn.

Wow...no offense but you dont understand my point. Steerling lock in game is different than how far you can turn the hardware wheel.

You dont here Dirt 3 in the background? Why would I just take a video of it being on.

In any other thread for any game on this forum, when someone says "wheel rotation" it always means a physical wheel.

Be more specific next time your trying to describe something. No reason to get rude.

Last edited:
You dont here Dirt 3 in the background? Why would I just take a video of it being on.

In any other thread for any game on this forum, when someone says "wheel rotation" it always means a physical wheel.

Be more specific next time your trying to describe something. No reason to get rude.

Dont blame me for your lack of understanding. I am not being rude, but when someone is talking about 900degrees of rotation, they are talking about being able to move a wheel all the way around and have it replicated in the game. All you did was turn your wheel. NOW....if you showed a video of you turning your wheel PAST 180 degrees and the car in Dirt3 actually register PAST that point, I would be impressed. Not just moving a wheel.

Show me Dirt3 doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3SHPxiaBnE

I've been playing it only a few hours, maybe it's too soon to judge but I've got the horrible feeling this could be one - if not THE - shortest CMR game ever, as far as longevity is concerned: only 4 rally locations are simply just a joke. 👎

Dont blame me for your lack of understanding. I am not being rude, but when someone is talking about 900degrees of rotation, they are talking about being able to move a wheel all the way around and have it replicated in the game. All you did was turn your wheel. NOW....if you showed a video of you turning your wheel PAST 180 degrees and the car in Dirt3 actually register PAST that point, I would be impressed. Not just moving a wheel.

Show me Dirt3 doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3SHPxiaBnE

I KNOW what 900 degrees of ROTATION means. And you being fresh to the site have no idea what the general meaning of things are on here. Again, misunderstanding. ctfo

I've been playing it only a few hours, maybe it's too soon to judge but I've got the horrible feeling this could be one - if not THE - shortest CMR game ever, as far as longevity is concerned: only 4 rally locations are simply just a joke. 👎

I am worried about that as well since I reached season 2 in about 1 1/2 hours. I hope it gets longer...

I KNOW what 900 degrees of ROTATION means. And you being fresh to the site have no idea what the general meaning of things are on here. Again, misunderstanding. ctfo

Funny, seems you are the only one that didnt "get it". Who cares if I am "new" to this site. Terms of racing games are not new, nor exclusive to this site. You think post count means much? You are more obtuse than I thought.

Still waiting for that video...

I feel the game is a pretty good amount. It is longer if your trying to get 1st/Platinum on everything. You have to take in (although not for us PS3 users yet) The longevity that multiplayer will bring. Weather it be public or private events.

Funny, seems you are the only one that didnt "get it". Who cares if I am "new" to this site. Terms of racing games are not new, nor exclusive to this site. You think post count means much? You are more obtuse than I thought.

Still waiting for that video...

No I'm just the only one who responded back. I simply said, first thought when you say that, is meaning the physical wheel. And you then lashed out at me for thinking something else.

I don't think post count means anymore than how long you've been active to the site, that's all.

And I made it clear there was a misunderstanding of your term, so there is no video.

I keep trying to be the better person and end with it being a misunderstanding, and nothing more. but you just keep trollin away. If you want to discuss it further, please just PM me. Thank you

Finally got to Monaco and full Tarmac racing. HOLY CRAP is it fun!!

Codemasters should make a full on real world racer using this engine. The guys from Shift 2 take note. I know what I will be doing in Singleplayer for a LONG time.... Happy Customer!

Feschka

Uh what, I thought it was the longest.
Oh noes.

Finally got to Monaco and full Tarmac racing. HOLY CRAP is it fun!!

Codemasters should make a full on real world racer using this engine. The guys from Shift 2 take note. I know what I will be doing in Singleplayer for a LONG time.... Happy Customer!

Really? I thought the tarmac was horrible. I was not expecting a Dirt game to make an attempt at it to be honest. If you enjoyed it, have you tried GRID? You would probably love it. I would also not consider it anywhere close to Shift2 in terms of intense, but they pretty opposite of gameplay.

I just want rallies to be longer.

Great to read positive reviews. My wife got it for me for my birthday, can't wait to get home from Iraq to play.

Really? I thought the tarmac was horrible. I was not expecting a Dirt game to make an attempt at it to be honest. If you enjoyed it, have you tried GRID? You would probably love it. I would also not consider it anywhere close to Shift2 in terms of intense, but they pretty opposite of gameplay.

I just want rallies to be longer.

I haven't played GRID. It's pretty old now, would it be worth getting used?

I haven't played GRID. It's pretty old now, would it be worth getting used?

Hell yes. If you like the tarmac style of this game...imagine it 80% bigger. Its old but still looks great, and the wheel ff and settings are the best in any game I have played. Get it ans thank me later.

Darn GT for making me think Rally was easy. It's definitely not easy, and it was clear when I made the first turn too. I got out of stupid GT habits, and am having a blast for the most part, even though i was struggling to get 1st place in certain events, especially getting platinum in the gymkhana stuff. Glad that's over and out of the way now.

@AOS This game ain't real.. better hang on to those GT habits, unless you want to utilize the Dirt driving habits in real life and drop off a cliff.

Oh so I can throw my car hard into a corner at high speed and just floor it? :odd: Couldn't do that in Dirt without the car locking up in that angle.... while in GT, I could correct over steering by just countersteering out (with the throttle down the entire time)...

Just picked it up today and spent a couple hours playing. First impressions are very good. Playing on advanced level with ABS on and all other assists off. It's not easy but after a while it becomes very drivable. I can't really comment on how realistic the physics engine is as I have never done anything like this type of driving in real life. The graphics look good and the cars are responsive. I'm using a Fanatec GT3RS v2 with Sen set to 360. Seems to be just right to get fast countersteer. I'll post more when I've had more time with it but for now it looks like a good buy.

The only possible flaw seems to be the AI cars are very sticky if you make contact. Like I said though - it's early days for me yet so that might just be a flawed impression on my part. Overall - this is very solid right out of the gate with no obvious major problems so far.....

I am worried about that as well since I reached season 2 in about 1 1/2 hours. I hope it gets longer...

The trend these days seems to be hold back on content and release further DLC. This may or may not be the case but developers are finding ways of coining it in.

I suggest if you do finish the game in regards all its events you go back and try LEVEL 6 for AI and get P1 for all events, see how long that takes you eh?

Last edited:
There is one annoying thing (for me personal). Still too much comment when a new level is achieved.

If Codemasters is going to make a track racing game with the graphics of Dirt 3 and an even better, true to life, physics engine, I'll be very pleased.

The gameplay is amazing. Now, I finally start to understand why people could get bored with GT5 after a while. If the graphics of GT5 were on the same level of the other pc sims, I'd definitely not buy Gran Turismo anymore.

* Graphics 👍👍👍 (PC version in my case)

* Gameplay 👍👍👍👍

* Physics 👍 and a half

* Game overall => menus, options etc ... . 👍👍

Hell yes. If you like the tarmac style of this game...imagine it 80% bigger. Its old but still looks great, and the wheel ff and settings are the best in any game I have played. Get it ans thank me later.

Bought Grid last night. It is awful!!

I've never seen a racing game actually punish you for using the brake. With the slightest touch of the wheel the back end whips around, but you're not supposed to counter steer? So for hairpin turns you don't brake, you just let off the gas and watch your car whip around like on rails, but for long sweepers if you don't brake you slide off track from Understeer. ARRRRRRRRG

I'm taking it back today....

Bought Grid last night. It is awful!!

I've never seen a racing game actually punish you for using the brake. With the slightest touch of the wheel the back end whips around, but you're not supposed to counter steer? So for hairpin turns you don't brake, you just let off the gas and watch your car whip around like on rails, but for long sweepers if you don't brake you slide off track from Understeer. ARRRRRRRRG

I'm taking it back today....

Sorry you didnt like it. It took a bit to get used to, but I never had that issue with it. The first races might be odd, but it gets way better. What car were you using?

Now I feel bad for the suggestion. Since you liked tarmac and liked the arcade feel of D3, and since its a CM game, with awesome ratings...well I figured you would dig it.

Maybe give it some more time? I have not seen many people not like it.

I had a go of this earlier at a friends house with a G25 and an Xbox 360 pad (i use a G27) on the PC version. Have to say I thought it was really great, awesome graphics and sounds as expected, great force feedback. The steering seemed a little unresponsive from what I remember from Dirt 2, we ended up setting the wheel down to 200degrees (from 720) and that improved things.

Seems the gymkhana mode works better with the gamepad but altogether a pretty cool game, and I will definitely be buying it for myself soon.

Above I noticed GRID mentioned. The game is fantastic (fun wise, not realism wise) with a gamepad and absolutely terrible with a wheel, give it a try with a pad if you have one.

Mr Latte
I suggest if you do finish the game in regards all its events you go back and try LEVEL 6 for AI and get P1 for all events, see how long that takes you eh?

How much of a difference is there between level 5 and level 6 AI? I jumped straight into level 5 with no assists except ABS and have now won the first 6 events. It was a challenge with a lot of restarts(I don't think I'm very good) to do it but I was wondering how much harder 6 is?

Back