DIRT 5: General Discussion

Some good insight here on the game’s final months of development:

https://www.theloadout.com/dirt-5/ps5-haptic-feedback-interview

The Loadout: How did you guys find developing and shipping a game in the midst of a global pandemic?

Robert Karp: Firstly I think it’s important to say that we’ve got quite a lot of new people at the moment, so for a lot of people this was their first game. With an established team, there is a certain knowledge base of how things work in the team, making things slightly easier, which unfortunately we didn’t have.

There have been some benefits to working from home, but also some drawbacks. I just crack on, but there are a lot of people who work with us that have kids and as such they might not be available during certain times of the day. In the evenings, out of professionalism, they’re getting in on it and doing more work. We’ve had some people who have worked extremely hard and done a really good job.

We didn’t have any mandatory crunch, but there were times where we encouraged people to go that extra mile because shipping a game is hard and shipping a game on so many platforms is even harder, especially when you’re doing it remotely.

What’s been difficult for us is that we’ve had a number of versions of the game that we’ve had to create – PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PS5. That means it’s really hard for everybody to view the games on all the platforms. We don’t actually have enough of those dev kits for all the consoles to give to everybody so they have to be divvied out as you see best.

On next-gen, when everything’s new and you’re doing things for the first time, it’s hard to know what’s right and what’s not, especially when it comes to QA. They might have someone testing the PS5 or the Xbox Series X and they don’t know if what they’re seeing is a bug or not.

At the same time, we’re super lucky because most industries have really struggled during COVID and games have generally sold well, we’ve been able to carry on working and deliver a game, so you know, as much as I talk about the difficulties, it’s about perspective.

What’s been difficult for us is that we’ve had a number of versions of the game that we’ve had to create – PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PS5.
Remember the days when developing games for consoles was considered much easier than PC because you only had one configuration of hardware to work with?

Last edited:
I just started playing the game on ps5, and i must say it plays ok. The cars feel a bit floaty, and with all assists of it still feels like the game is correcting for you. But the graphics aren't really next gen. While the lighting and weather options are nice, some basic things like tire marks are missing. Also it is really strange that there is no replay after the race.

Gameplay wise it reminds me a lot of Gravel with the event structures and atmosphere.

Just completed chapter 3, and the graphics are much better in the later events. Also setting spring intensity to off gave a much directer driving feel.

AstonMartin_Vantage_V8_05.jpg

PS5/PS4

Modern devices from Logitech are set to supported, including the G923 and G29. Modern Thrustmaster wheels are also supported, such as the T150, T500, T80, T300RS and T-GT. Fanatec devices will not be immediately supported on Sony versions of DIRT 5 – we’re working hard to add Fanatec wheel support on PS5/PS4 in future updates and will let you know when progress is made.

Similar to PlayStation, DIRT 5 on Xbox consoles will support the majority of modern wheels, including the Logitech G923 and G920. Thrustmaster devices listed above will also be supported, as well as the Ferrari 458 Spider Racing, TMX and TS-XW. The Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel, ClubSport Wheel Base v2/2.5, and Podium Wheel Base DD1/2 will all be supported on Xbox platforms, too.

For PC players, all wheels listed above will be fully supported. For any platform, we encourage you to test your wheel setup, even if it isn’t listed above, to see if it is compatible. We will be taking on feedback from all wheel users as soon as Update 2.00 rolls out, to ensure you’re satisfied with your experience and see where things can be further improved.

Is this update ready to download on the ps5?
The official dirt site said that pc would be first with the playstation and xbox to follow later.

Last edited:
With the patch finally dropping on PS5 I decided to give the game a go and I actually like it quite a lot. There’s quite a bit of that Dirt 2 charm, although having YouTubers instead of actual rally drivers is not the choice I’d go for.

+ Great driving model. Settle down sim bros, yes, it’s arcade, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. The cars are all fun to drive and feel distinct from each other, even within the same class.
+ The graphics are really good, both cars and environments.
+ Same for the weather effects. I also like how the puddles and snow bulld up over the race in applicable conditions.
+ Loving the return of gymkhana. It’s not as amazing as in Dirt 3, but hey, nobody else is doing it all, so I’ll take it.

+/- The event variety is pretty good, but I’m missing classics like regular rally and trailblazer events

- The game chugs on PS5 on both presets.
- I don’t like the way they handled liveries. Dirt 2 and 3 had presets that looked professional enough, while here I have to do all the work myself. To be honest, I can’t be arsed to go through the livery editor for every car and I also don’t like driving racing cars in plain colors, so basically what ends up happening is I create a livery for 1 car in each class and just drive that all the time. Not ideal to say the least.
- As I progress through the career, more and more often I’m given bonus objectives that are literally impossible to complete, like hold over 110 km/h for 20 seconds on an Ice Breaker track with barely and straights. Also sometimes ridiculous ones like „drift + trade paint 10 times”. I guess that one is possible, but with races lasting 3 minutes tops it doesn’t make for an enjoyable task.

Overall, I like it a lot. I’m a big fan on the „americanized” Dirt games from the 7th generation of consoles and I’m glad Codies are bringing that magic back. Not enough focus on actual fun in the racing genre these days.

I mainly want to know how gravel had a better set of raid vehicles then DiRT5 did.
The 3 main factors in what cars get chosen for games:

• What cars do the design team think will fit the game best?
  • Which manufacturers are okay with having said cars in the game (legal & licensing the heroes here)?
  • Is it possible to obtain sufficient reference data (visuals/handling/audio) and implement it into the game in time?

Every game, manufacturer and developer are different in this regard, which is why some games have Car X but don't have Car Y.

Just seen Dirt 5 is 30% off in Playstation store.

Whats the latest consensus? Does it play and look alright on PS4 Pro?

Is it worth stumping up the extra ca$h for the Amplified Edition? Or will I be able to buy/earn/unlock those extra cars pretty quickly anyway?

Last edited:
Just seen Dirt 5 is 30% off in Playstation store.

Whats the latest consensus? Does it play and look alright on PS4 Pro?

Is it worth stumping up the extra ca$h for the Amplified Edition? Or will I be able to buy/earn/unlock those extra cars pretty quickly anyway?
Should be fine and the game is good. I played whole career on X1X and it was OK. When XSX came out I played few hours too and graphics is even better. I think it's fine. From gameplay perspective you can't be disappointed.

For the price Amplified could be fine. I have Amplified but don't know what will come. It could be a pleasure surprise. Money means nothing in the game so you don't need any unlocks or boosters.

Last edited:
Playing the game on PS5 and having a really good time.
+ Graphics are absolutely incredible! Art directon, environment, cars... top notch presentation.
+ Really good physics for an arcade game. Every car has their own unique feel.
+ Sound design superb as well. PD and Turn 10 should take notes. I love how music plays on the arena and not just on background.
+ the livery editor works for me. Easy and fun to use, but I understand that for some people it might be a bit limited.

But there are some minor things that could be improved.
- The way how story being delivered is a bit awkward. Even though I really enjoy donut media, still I can't truly immerse myself in the narrative.
- The sponsorship system is really confusing and I can't figure it out.
- The additional task game gives you to beat during racing, sometimes really hard to pull off and sometimes just impossible. And the reward is not worth it anyways, so I'm just ignoring it.
- Not sure what's up with difficulty. I'm playing on the very hard and with some races it's really easy to win.

Overall it's a really well done game and true first next gen racer. Feels like a mix of driveclub and dirt 2, which are one the best racing games ever created.

@PJTierney is there a plan to support game in the future? Any additionall content or features coming next year?

Last edited:
Considering none of the paid DLC releases related to the Amplified Edition have come out yet, yes the game will get updates. Don’t have any details to share so keep an eye on @dirtgame in the coming weeks I guess.

amplified-edition.jpg

Last edited:
To help others' purchasing decisions; I bought the Amplified Edition. Playing on PS4 Pro. The gameplay is fun for sure, but the visuals are definitely a let-down after being accustomed to the beauty of Dirt 2.0 and GT Sport. I guess due to so many cars being on screen at the one time? I think that puts stress on the graphics processing capabilities, right?

Thanks to the person above who clarified that the rewards and challenges aren't worth bothering with. I'll just keep going through without paying too much attention to that stuff. Will likely buy a PS5 in a few months time. I guess its a bit of a shame that I'm playing through without the benefit of the great PS5 visuals, but I don't want to be too early an adopter and they PS5 isn't that easy to buy at the moment so I'm content to wait until GT7 comes out and will then bite the bullet and make the purchase

Last edited:
A question to you guys. I've tried to play on the wheel (t300 rs) on PS5 and encounter a weird bug. My feedback feels very strong, and when I tried to change it in the settings, it seems like it doesn't do anything. I've turned all feedback sliders down to zero, but my wheel is still very heavy. Did anyone had the same issue? I tried GTS and GRID and it works fine, so it's not a wheel issue.

Last edited:
I am not sure, I tried it few times and difficulty peak was too high so I never came back :D

Last edited:
good to see more tracks will be coming and I do hope more livery options will include more decal presets at least, the current batch is just awful.

There is something seriously wrong with the Sprint races that use the dedicated Sprint cars. They are an absolutely awful experience and the AI seems to suddenly become unbeatable, even on Very Easy, when the Very Hard AI in other events is laughably poor and easy to beat. Very weird.

Some good insight here on the game’s final months of development:

https://www.theloadout.com/dirt-5/ps5-haptic-feedback-interview

"What’s been difficult for us is that we’ve had a number of versions of the game that we’ve had to create – PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PS5"

This makes it sound as though each version has to have its own game package which simply isn't true. For example PS4 and PS4 Pro are technically the same version of the game but with added features for those on the Pro console. It's the same package that gets installed. It is very difficult to develop for new platforms though, I'll give them that!

Last edited:
"What’s been difficult for us is that we’ve had a number of versions of the game that we’ve had to create – PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PS5"

This makes it sound as though each version has to have its own game package which simply isn't true. For example PS4 and PS4 Pro are technically the same version of the game but with added features for those on the Pro console. It's the same package that gets installed. It is very difficult to develop for new platforms though, I'll give them that!

I think PS4 and PS4 Pro don't really make much a difference but the PS5 build needed a full port if what Psyonix said is true even for added new features: https://www.ign.com/articles/rocket...-on-xbox-series-but-a-full-native-port-on-ps5

Xbox One to the Series X should fairly easy package I guess but the PC build is the first for this team, they talk about it in the new video. I timed it at where they started talking about working on the new gen of consoles with the ongoing SDKs, talk on PC being the first time for them is about 2 minutes later:

Back