DIRT 5: General Discussion

Bought Dirt 5 yesterday for PS4, got it for £30.

Currently been on Dirt 5 for 2 hours for the first time, and I’m already addicted to the Playground mode. Haven’t even done any of the career mode events yet. Many of these creations are amazing. Keep telling myself I’ll play one more creation, then I see another one I want to try. So 1 more becomes 10 more and so on lol. Love the playground mode.

Last edited:
So almost two weeks later, and I'm up to Chapter 3 in the career mode. The career mode isn't too bad, but it lacks rally stages. The closest thing to a rally stage is the % races where you race to a certain point. If you don't take the game too seriously, it can be a lot of fun for an arcade game. Definitely a lot more fun than DiRT 4 in my opinion even with the lack of rally stages. One thing I cannot stand though, is the sprint Cup races in the Jupiter Hawk. I have to turn all assists on just to control the bloody thing.

The weather effects on this game are amazing. Especially the snow and the thunder. Lights up your whole room when racing in the dark when it's thundering, pretty cool! The soundtrack is alright too, reminds me of NFS ProStreet where the tracks would loop in after each song finished. If you don't take the game too seriously, it can be a really fun game.
Also still obsessed with the Playground mode. My little brother likes to watch me try the different tracks on the playground mode. He loves it when there's a big jump and the car goes flying in the air. And the complex creations, they're very fun to play. Keeps the game more fresh.

With the sprint cup I have really no issues. What I don't like so far is the podcaststuff, Gymkhana and the rockcrawler. For the rest : a blast 👍

I think the rock crawler is unique and such a refreshing change to the normal point to point or racing challenges. I just wish they had implemented it more and had more than 2 (I think) tracks.
Some of the playgrounds involving the rock crawler are works of art, but equally, controller smashingly frustrating.
I still play this game almost every day, just for the sheer thrill of it and challenges in the playgrounds.

I picked the year 1 edition up on sale for C$42 last week. Loaded it up to play on my Australian account last night and none of the DLC is playable on the account that didn't buy the game :grumpy:. I've seen others say that they've had the same issue and Codemasters say it is a bug they are looking into.

DIRT 5™_20210502151448.png

Career : short, varied and fun 👍

DIRT 5™_20210502152228.png

Lonely DKR in the top 10 :D

Have been testing with a controller and wheel. Handling on a controller is simply superb for this game. However, with a wheel I find it almost unplayable. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? It seems the game has been purely developed for controller and the gameplay simply isn't adapted for wheel use. Too fast, too bumpy, too unrealistic. Any thoughts on this?

To end : Dirt 2 is great to play with a wheel!

I picked the year 1 edition up on sale for C$42 last week. Loaded it up to play on my Australian account last night and none of the DLC is playable on the account that didn't buy the game :grumpy:. I've seen others say that they've had the same issue and Codemasters say it is a bug they are looking into.

Absolute joke! The whole game is a mess mate

Last edited:
Absolute joke! The whole game is a mess mate
Yeah. Still waiting on a response to my tweet or bug report. So glad I waited for it to go on sale before I bought it. It will probably be a free PS+ game at the end of this year once the 'year 1' content is done and they can give the game away to push the DLC pack.

Looks like new update on Xbox is on. It's rather big but no big changes:

CONTENT & FEATURES
  • Official Red Bull liveries – eight liveries for multiple cars
  • Cross-platform matchmaking – available in Online Public lobbies for races and party events
  • Red Bull arch added to Playgrounds Create mode
  • Wet and stormy weather conditions added for all Playgrounds locations
  • Ghost lap time options added to Time Trial and Gate Crasher events
  • Stats stickers – new Driver Card stickers available for reaching progression milestones

Sorry in advance for dumping so many questions at once, but I can't quite get the sponsor system. I got back to Dirt 5 after the recent update. I switched a sponsor to Donut Media. They had 2 career objectives:
  • complete 2 pathfinder events
  • make 20 donuts
After I completed only 1 pathfinder event the first objective was replaced by another, "complete 1 sprint event". Does this mean I completed the previous objective? If so, what did I get for it?

I also went to Gymkhana event to score some donuts. I think I made 5 of them but my objective still didn't change. I though it would reflect how many donuts I already completed, like "make 15 donuts" or "make 20 donuts (5 completed)". Does the game even count them, or is it a bugged objective?

Also, what do I get for completing these career objectives? More Rep? More money? Increase in a payout for the race?

And one more thing. Every sponsor has a bonus after some amount of races. If a sponsor has a bonus in 5 races, does it mean I'll receive a bonus after every 5 races, or only after 5 first races with that sponsor? And what's the amount of that bonus? I can't seem to find this in the game.

Yesterday at the PlayStation Store, I had purchased Dirt 5 for the PS4/PS5 as part of the Days of Play sale. I then obtained my first PSN trophy in the PS4 version of the game. The name of that trophy is called the "Long Jump".

Last edited:
Have been testing with a controller and wheel. Handling on a controller is simply superb for this game. However, with a wheel I find it almost unplayable. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? It seems the game has been purely developed for controller and the gameplay simply isn't adapted for wheel use. Too fast, too bumpy, too unrealistic. Any thoughts on this?

To end : Dirt 2 is great to play with a wheel!
I have tried this game with my Logitech G29. Let me jump straight to my conclusion. The game is not in any way compatible with my wheel. It is unplayable with my wheel.

The main issues were:

1) I tried various settings - none of which are adequately explained in the menus. None of them seemed to make much, if any, difference to wheel response.

2) No useful sense of feedback as to where the vehicle's wheels were pointing. I'd turn right, and expect the car to slide, then apply some counter-steering, and balance with the throttle, only to find that the vehicle went into snap oversteer right. Try to correct and I got snap oversteer left.

3) An impending sense of doom - that the game would ruin my wheel. Far too much rattling and banging.

If other Logitech G29 wheel users have found a driveable setup, then please post it.

I've given up and use the controller instead. It is, however, an enjoyable game and a welcome counterpoint to the much more serious GT Sport.

Does anybody have the patch notes for 4.05? I cannot see any online and so far, the only change I see is in playgrounds where the only ghost you can see is your own - which is annoying, since I got used to following others.
Am wondering whether you can now turn ghosts off and on but no instructions on how to do this, if this is the case.

Does anybody have the patch notes for 4.05? I cannot see any online and so far, the only change I see is in playgrounds where the only ghost you can see is your own - which is annoying, since I got used to following others.
Am wondering whether you can now turn ghosts off and on but no instructions on how to do this, if this is the case.
From the Discord:

Confirmation that Patch 4.05 is now live on Xbox, PlayStation and PC for DIRT 5. This patch addresses minor technical matters behind the scenes, and adds a notifications system to inform players on latest news. Thank you!

I picked the year 1 edition up on sale for C$42 last week. Loaded it up to play on my Australian account last night and none of the DLC is playable on the account that didn't buy the game 😖. I've seen others say that they've had the same issue and Codemasters say it is a bug they are looking into.
Yeah. Still waiting on a response to my tweet or bug report. So glad I waited for it to go on sale before I bought it. It will probably be a free PS+ game at the end of this year once the 'year 1' content is done and they can give the game away to push the DLC pack.
Further to this, I got a response on discord saying that DLC is only playable on the account that buys it.

Problem is that this seems to be in direct contradiction to the T&C of the DLC as found on the PSN store page: "...You can download and play this content on the main PS5 console associated with your account (through the “Console Sharing and Offline Play” setting)". Neither of my PSN accounts have ever been signed into another PS4 or PS5, so I don't see any reason I shouldn't be able to use the DLC.

I never got a response when I raised this point there, so will try here... @PJTierney ?

A DLC pack with cars I actually want (The Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport Baja Concept being at the top of that list because Rally Raid) yet can't afford. I am the big sad.

I find this game surprisingly less polished than Drive Club. Definitely see what they have in common, but also what Dirt 5 lacks to make it better.

Was expecting a bit more from the new tracks... They look rather to be made with very small effort.

Last edited:
Anyone know what time the DLC gets released? I checked this morning and nothing to download, and seen nothing on the socials stating a time or whether been delayed.

The great thing about Gamepass is that I played this (and many other games) as an extended tryout. Somehow, past the midpoint of the campaign, in the twistier roads, the handling became quite stiff (even dialing down the assists), and the AI just gangs up on you... became frustrated and rage uninstalled. I can't quite put a finger on it, but I have failed to establish a bond with Codemaster's games, unlike Turn 10/Playground offerings, and God know I've tried (Dirt 4, Grid Autosport, Grid and Dirt 5)...

Back