DIRT 5: General Discussion

Just picked this up yesterday. Put a few hours in already and I'm kinda disappointed.

Multiplayer is broken for me. Getting lots of sound bugs as well but the game just isn't very fun. The AI (so far) is too easy even on very hard, the tracks are wide as heck and the whole thing feels pointless. I've skipped pretty much Everytime Troy baker or these dudes from Donut speak.

I'm hoping it gets better but I'm close to giving up on this. Note that DiRT 3 and DRIVECLUB are two of my all time top 10 racers, so this shouldve been up my alley.

Just picked this up yesterday. Put a few hours in already and I'm kinda disappointed.

Multiplayer is broken for me. Getting lots of sound bugs as well but the game just isn't very fun. The AI (so far) is too easy even on very hard, the tracks are wide as heck and the whole thing feels pointless. I've skipped pretty much Everytime Troy baker or these dudes from Donut speak.

I'm hoping it gets better but I'm close to giving up on this. Note that DiRT 3 and DRIVECLUB are two of my all time top 10 racers, so this shouldve been up my alley.
I share your disappointment. It's the worse Dirt game by a long way, boring and bland.

The game would have been good with narrower tracks, look at these new tracks, it's like a highway on dirt, just why???
Because everything needs to race on the same track, from the giant trophy trucks to the tiny crosskarts.

The joy of taking the different cars onto tracks they really weren't made from earlier games like Dirt 2 is missing on this one

I bought this game dirt cheap the other day (physical copy). I’m not entirely optimistic about it but hopefully the updates have improved the overall experience since launch.

I seem to be in a minority, since I absolutely adore this game and haven’t stopped playing it since I got in March!

I love everything about it - the career, the graphics, the sounds, the presentation, the tracks, the playgrounds.

The only thing I could ask for is the Audi Quattro being added to the game, other than that it’s one of my all time favourite racing games :D

Last edited:
MXH
I bought this game dirt cheap the other day (physical copy). I’m not entirely optimistic about it but hopefully the updates have improved the overall experience since launch.
This game is an absolute 💩 show on the base PS4.

Career mode is what it is, the physics are serviceable but the graphics and the performance is just straight up garbage. Both D2 and D3 on the PS3 looks and performs better than DiRT 5 on the PS4.

Whether I choose Image Quality or Performance mode, it looks and runs like utter trash. The amount of shimmering/flickering/pixel crawling, framerate drops, tearing, blurred out surroundings and subpar AA in genreal is an beyond pathetic.

I’m genuinely shocked how poor this game looks. Avoid at all cost if you’re planning to play this on base PS4 or XB1.

gross dumb and dumber GIF

Last edited:
Everything about Dirt 5 (PS5 version) to me is pretty great, the most fun I had in a Dirt title since the first game and Dirt Rally 2.0. Gotta love the graphics (with hints of ray-tracing), the haptic feedback and adaptive trigger functions. I also love the soundtrack (especially that "OI!!!" song that I can't get out of my head), but one problem for me is that sometimes the framerate could get a little bit unstable, oh, and these sponsor-related challenges in the career mode. I'm glad they're optional, though.

Last edited:

I played it for a couple of hours and then gave up, I'm very disappointed given how much it cost me. There was no incentive to continue and the tracks felt far too wide and level. BTW if you think the AI is too easy try doing a speedway event, they're suddenly god-like even on Easy. I'm amazed that the AI balancing still hasn't been fully addressed - Any tweaks made so far have helped but it's still miles off what it should be.

Last edited:
I've seen a graphics comparison on youtube between this and the other Dirt games and was like wth why do the graphics look so bad lol then I've read that devs choose to use their own game engine instead of the Codemasters engine used in the other games.

I've been playing a bit of this. It's good but needs... More.

I think by the end of Velocity I was kind of hoping for something new to break stuff up. For the sake of completion I'll stick with it and try for the Plat (Ps5 owner).

Does anyone care at this point? This game is a certified bomb. I wouldn't be surprised if Game Pass downloads are about the only way Codemasters can spin this to make the sales numbers look better then the disaster they probably are.

Out now. 2 cars, 2 new trucks, 25 events.

1630484702819.png

A pair of eye-catching off-road machines, purpose-built to overcome any terrain, are added to DIRT 5 in the Wild Spirits Content Pack. First up: the hotly-anticipated Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2021. 310bhp and 542Nm of torque, as well as innovative 4x4 and differential systems, make the new Bronco a perfect addition to take on DIRT 5’s extreme events. Its boxy chassis and huge tyres create an unforgettable look – and that’s before you customise it with liveries and patterns.

Alongside the Bronco is the Prodrive Hunter. Billed as a ‘Desert Hypercar’, the Hunter is a production version of the incredible Prodrive BRX, which has competed across Dakar and other events in 2021, with drivers including Sebastian Loeb. Powered by Ford’s 3.5-litre twin turbo V6 engine, producing around 500bhp, the Hunter has all the power you need to dominate DIRT 5’s global off-road events.

The Wild Spirits Content Pack for DIRT 5 also further expands our Career mode with another 25 bespoke events, in the ‘Wild Spirits’ bonus chapter. The new events will include chances to race our two new cars, multi-class races, dynamic weather events, and more unique experiences.

Two additional Career Sponsors are also added: Alpinestars and VP Racing Fuels. Head to the Sponsors tab in Career to select either of these sponsors and start to unlock new rewards and content, including fresh liveries and customisation items. Finally, look out for five additional Trophies/Achievements, each connected to your progression in the new Career chapter.

Last edited:
I've seen a graphics comparison on youtube between this and the other Dirt games and was like wth why do the graphics look so bad lol then I've read that devs choose to use their own game engine instead of the Codemasters engine used in the other games.
Dirt 5 doesn't use the Ego engine like their other titles but I'd say it still looks pretty good on current gen consoles and PC, and it runs smoothly for the most part. I imagine it struggles a bit on previous gen hardware though.

I think the game looks great from a graphical standpoint. They just have this ugly oversaturated art style that makes the visuals very jarring to look at.

Was playing one of my other games and suddenly, Update 6.02 is downloading. Anyone know what is?

From Discord:

UPDATE 6.02

Releasing September 30, 2021 on Xbox, PlayStation and PC. Coming to Google Stadia at a later date.

NEW CONTENT
‘Tricks N Treats’ Halloween Playgrounds pack: Free Playgrounds item set of Halloween-themed objects for use in Gate Crasher, Smash Attack, and Gymkhana. Available from October 1, 2021.

TECHNICAL FIXES & CHANGES
· New tweaks to general light, shade, and reflections will be noticeable across every location and scenario, particularly in night-time events, leading to more realistic and natural lighting
· Steam: Fixed issue causing online cross-platform matchmaking to not work on Steam
· Xbox One: Fixed issue causing audio distortion in rare occurrences
· PS5: Resolved issue of audio cutting out when the game is started with a racing wheel connected
· Xbox: Resolved instances of crashes when users sign out of their profile
· Fixed instances of crashes when viewing a player card and playing offline
· Career objectives will now be shown in the post-race rewards menus appropriately
· PC: When using Fanatec pedals connected directly to the PC, the pedals will now be detected and usable
· Fixed issue causing a player’s Playgrounds Weekly Challenge position to not show if they do not have rewards available

I must say this is my favourite Dirt game but recently it just crashes so much to the point I just cant be bothered to play it anymore. I guess they timed it nicely as forza has just come out to take up my time now though.

Just downloaded this as it's free on PS plus this month, played for an hour or so, will probably delete it soon.

It just doesn't seem enjoyable to drive to me. The handling is very odd, I'd rather it played like Wreckfest as at least you have to be mindful of controlling the car, it's just so simplistic and easy in Dirt. The strangest thing is that as soon as you come of the gas it's as if the car starts braking without you touching the brakes. The amount it slows down just because you're off the power is like nothing I've played before, and just takes all the fun and challenge out of it.
It's free, but not for me.

Also I find the HDR implementation very bad.
I hope the upcoming new Grid handles a lot better than this.

The strangest thing is that as soon as you come of the gas it's as if the car starts braking without you touching the brakes. The amount it slows down just because you're off the power is like nothing I've played before, and just takes all the fun and challenge out of it.
That's true. It was one of the first things i noticed when I put my hands on it - it's quite weird - but i still find it fun as long as you drive with manual gears to keep pushing it when it starts "dying". Try Project Cars 3 for a bit more elaborated arcade fun.

That's true. It was one of the first things i noticed when I put my hands on it - it's quite weird - but i still find it fun as long as you drive with manual gears to keep pushing it when it starts "dying". Try Project Cars 3 for a bit more elaborated arcade fun.
I downloaded it last week and played with it for a few minutes and noticed what @bleeder was talking about. I am going to try the manual gears and see what how it feels. Because I must admit it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be

Installed this because of PS+. 8 hours in, and I've now seen everything this game has to offer and I'm now just grinding to get the platinum. This reminds me so much of Grid. People in the background talking about how awesome the racing is, while the actual racing feels stale and repetitive.

Drifting on ice is kind of fun, though.

I thought finally a decent PS+ game that hasn't got dragon fantasy rubbish in it!! Disappointed even for an arcade racer, played it for an hour, deleted it. Id ask for a refund if it wasn't free.
yes Wreckfest is 100 times more enjoyable, as were older dirt games.

Last edited:
I'm 450km away from the platinum trophy and that annoying afk mileage racking is probably the only thing that'll be remembered by me of this game. It's not as much as fun as Dirt, Dirt 2 and Dirt 3. Physics are bland and this game has one of the worst rubberband AIs I've ever experienced, it's so bad that if you try to push an AI opponent in front of you forward you get slowed down to almost a stop... I went through the carreer in 2 days and completing all career events for the gold trophy became more of a tedious task than a fun thing to do. I'll walz through it again on PS5 for another platinum (luckily 80% of the trophys are auto-unlock because of cross-platform-saving) but after that I'll probably never touch this game again.
Also, Donut Media is 11/10 cringe.

Last edited:
Back