DiRT Rally 2.0 Track Surfaces Will Degrade With Every Run

This innovation kinda makes sense. Back with CMR3 they made maybe the first rallying game where the results showed up depending on your position on the road. You could be fastest on every split while running the stage, then finish like 7th because a bunch of guys had not showed up yet.

I was hoping for dynamic deforming terrain but that's overkill considering that you're not doing laps on a closed track.

I was hoping for dynamic deforming terrain but that's overkill considering that you're not doing laps on a closed track.
So you think it's overkill to reflect the biggest talking point in rallying? Every single WRC driver talks about their order on the road, everyone talks about how depending on the surface it's better or worse to be opening the way. :banghead:

So you think it's overkill to reflect the biggest talking point in rallying? Every single WRC driver talks about their order on the road, everyone talks about how depending on the surface it's better or worse to be opening the way. :banghead:

Was that first statement a question? You're way out of touch with what I wrote.

Varying track conditions are essential but what they are doing in this game is not dynamic terrain deformation. They're just building a dozen degraded iterations of the course and you get whichever iteration applies to your order in the lineup. It's a smart solution that should result in the desired effect without having to create a new game engine.

Varying track conditions are essential but what they are doing in this game is not dynamic terrain deformation. They're just building a dozen degraded iterations of the course and you get whichever iteration applies to your order in the lineup. It's a smart solution that should result in the desired effect without having to create a new game engine.
Almost no game has truly dynamic terrain, it's just pre-made easy-to-make stuff to make-believe like everything in racing games (yes, including simulators). The only games with actual dynamic terrain are the MX vs ATV games starting with Reflex and they're mostly garbage.

Almost no game has truly dynamic terrain, it's just pre-made easy-to-make stuff to make-believe like everything in racing games (yes, including simulators). The only games with actual dynamic terrain are the MX vs ATV games starting with Reflex and they're mostly garbage.

Why that is the case is a totally different discussion.

My point is, that despite your rhetorical straw man, I never stated this >> "So you think it's overkill to reflect the biggest talking point in rallying?"

My point was that I was let down by the lack of dynamic terrain deformation (which exists in other titles) but then I realized that it was not really necessary for the structure of a rally game since the course doesn't go in a loop. At this point, I can only hope that they create more variations than just a progressively eroding course.

Latest Posts

Back