Dirt Rally 3: Rumours, Speculation and Wishlist Thread

England
Merseyside
merseyxshore
What's everyone's thoughts on DR3? Is it happening? Is it coming out this year? Will it even be called Dirt Rally 3? What do you want to see in the game? Will we get Samir's co-driver as DLC??!

So we know that Codemasters have a dedicated Dirt Rally team, and we know they're currently working on something. I personally think (or hope) that it's going to be Dirt Rally 3, but there is some speculation that they might already be working on the first of Codies' WRC games. I can't see CM waiting until 2023 to release another game though...

I can see a Dirt rally 3, I mentioned in the discord if the whole unreal engine rumor is true, im sure they'd want to practice with it before making a major official release like WRC.
As for wishlist, hoping for a livery editor I'd personally like to see one like GRID with all of the different liveries and sponsors along with the patterns of DiRT5. I would also like to see head2head come back, would like to see raid again, with the trucks, and hopefully rallycross stays in the game.

Last edited:
Personally I don’t think there will be a dirt rally 3 unfortunately. Is it 2023 when codemasters have the WRC licence from? I imagine they want the game to hit early in that season and are throwing everything into having it ready in good time so it has the biggest impact as possible for a new franchise.
I do think we will see a lot carried over from DR2.0 though in terms of classic cars/rallies so hopefully we will get the best of both worlds.

My biggest hope is that career mode gets expanded with some of the stuff from the F1 games (car development, sponsors, livery editor etc...) and community events get worked into it a little more. Something like a weekly event that counts towards a quarterly championship would be cool to see (obviously on top of the existing daily->weekly->monthly setup).

Second to that is the return of hill climbing. I know Pikes Peak isn't possible at the moment, but surely there are other hills worth climbing.

Aside from that and the obvious "more cars and tracks/stages" I hope Codies doesn't make the same mistakes they made with GRID and Dirt 5.

Although that story implies there will be dirt rally 3 the actual quote doesn’t say there will, just a rally title.
Don’t get me wrong I’d be pleased for another title although not sure what’s left to add in apart from maybe a couple more locations and some toyotas but codemasters have a lot on their plate under ea now so I wouldn’t be surprised if their new wrc game in 2023 is their next pukka rally effort.

Although that story implies there will be dirt rally 3 the actual quote doesn’t say there will, just a rally title.
Don’t get me wrong I’d be pleased for another title although not sure what’s left to add in apart from maybe a couple more locations and some toyotas but codemasters have a lot on their plate under ea now so I wouldn’t be surprised if their new wrc game in 2023 is their next pukka rally effort.

Obviously the other stuff is still technically up in the air, but there is plenty of room for innovation and improvement in rally games imo; stage creator, road sections between stages, single venue events, recce runs, detailed tyre and service crew management etc. I also think there's a lot to be said for rally games making use of an open world setting. One huge map with different terrain in different areas would mean endless possibilities for new stage layouts, and would tie in with recce runs in legit recce cars and driving between stages (and avoiding further damage).

They're specifically talking about the future of DiRT Rally. WRC will be called WRC, not DiRT Rally for obvious licensing reasons. Unless they are planning to create another separate dev team, specifically for WRC, then Codemasters Sotham, from around mid-2022 to 2023, will assume control of WRC and, therefore, won't be making more DiRT Rally games. What they're trying to do is, before they go to WRC, they want to send off the DR franchise away with a bang.

Back