[Dirt Rally] FFB on asphalt ?

• Thread starter poumpoum
  • 10 comments
France
France
poumpoumk
I've just finished to build my new rig (after 3 years without anything to race with) with a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4, CSP V3, shifter, handbrake etc... I've just bought Dirt Rally. I use my wheel in purple mode (G29 emulation) on my PS4.

At first the wheel was HUGELY heavy but I discovered that the default rotation angle was 180° so I set the "Steering Saturation" to 100% with "Soft Lock" ON so my wheel uses the same rotation angle as the real cars. After that the wheel was still REALLY heavy so I've dropped down the "Self Aligning Torque" to something like 25% and now the game is driveable, at least on my gravel tests (but that doesn't mean I know how to drive :D)

Then I've decided to try rallycross with a Mini, the track was half gravel AND asphalt. When entering an asphalt area I was expecting the wheel to become stronger with more pronounced "Self Aligning Torque" effect but the feeling was the exact opposite ! The car seems like "floating" on the asphalt parts oO

Everyone talks about this game which seems to be the first decent rally sim since RBR so, is it something wrong with my settings ? Or the asphat FFB is really strange in this game ?

Perhaps only the PS4 version is concerned ? I'm ready to buy the game on PC if the problem only exists on console...

Last edited:
Many gamers complain about the tarmac physics in DR but I agree with you. I believe it is poor FFB rather than sketchy asphalt physics (although DR as a whole feels very floaty all the time and downright odd at some times).

I am on the G29 on PS4 and from what I have read the tarmac complaints on Steam and XBox are similar to those on PS4.

Yes, I was not judging the physics but mainly the force feedback.

Thanks for your answer, I'm going to try to play like this on my PS4 but this feeling is so strange !

Perhaps there is a mod on PC which is able to "modify" this strange tarmac force feedback ?

I understood this was an issue with thrustmaster wheels?

I have exactly the same thing with my t300rs, feels good on the loose stuff but as soon as you get to tarmac it's like they just switch the FFB off. Codies are aware of the issue but just gave up trying to fix it.

Thanks guys ! Love your physics video Mr Scaff ;)

Tonight I really tried to play but the feeling is so strange on this ****ing tarmac that I got sick after 30 minutes :ill:

Before trying SLRE I will try to download Dirt Rally on PC to test the IMPACT mod which seems to use 2 different FFB settings at the same time, one for tarmac and another one for loose stuff.

Last edited:
I'm with @Scaff regarding SLRE. Best rally game of the current generation and I will never let an opportunity to praise it go to waste. Here is a playlist of me racing against Sébastien Loeb's ghost. Probably the most fun I have ever had with a rally game.

I still play it. A custom championship with Realistic damage and Realistic AI is the most intense rally experience since Richard Burns Rally.

Just plug your ears and try to look past the graphics...

Don't mean to double post, but as long as we are talking FFB and physics and have included other games, does anyone agree with me that Codemasters really nailed the physics with the R5 and R2 classes in DiRT 4? I can't stand the game because of the odd physics on the other cars and the repetitiveness of Your Stage, but I love how the R5s handle and it seems very realistic. Am I the only one?

Just bought Dirt Rally on Steam (+SLRE thanks to @Scaff :D) but before I really wanted to try everything I could with Dirt Rally on asphalt with my PS4 / CSL Elite PS4 :

* I was hoping that perhaps one of the effect was harmful to the main Self Aligning Torque effect so I've began to disable any FFB effects in the game. Then I've launched the game with different values for the Self Aligning Torque (from 0 to 150) and unfortunately the problem is linked to this parameter. It is really strange to describe, it's like the wheel is hard, suddenly light then hard again but in the same turn ! I use the same steering wheel angle during the whole turn and the same speed and I was driving REALLY slowly during my tests to avoid any understeer / oversteer. The "funny" part about that is that it is the exact opposite of what you're supposed to feel through a turn, it should go from :
- nothing (when your front wheels are aligned with the rear wheels)
- light (when you begin to turn the wheel)
- hard (when you're at the max angle / middle of the turn)
- light (when you begin to turn back the wheel)
- nothing (when your front wheels are aligned again with the rear wheels)

* Then I've tried to play with the Fanatec settings (FORCE, SPRING and DAMPER) but the game only use the FORCE parameter so reducing it does exactly the same thing as reducing the ingame Self Aligning Torque parameter. I've tried different rotation angles with both the Fanatec tuning menu and the ingame settings (Steering Saturation). Of course the FFB is a little stronger as you reduce the angle but the strange behavior stays exactly the same.

* I also tried the yellow mode (CSW v2 emulation) as it is recommended by Fanatec but the result is exactly the same as with the purple mode, there is not a single difference between those 2 modes.

So, yes the problem comes from the game, I'm not a professional in FFB but the asphalt FFB in Dirt Rally is REALLY bad. I'm pretty sure that this is a bug and not something wanted / designed by the dev. Perhaps it is linked to the introduction of physics V2, because I see a lot of people complaining about that from this moment... This FFB feeling is so disconnected from the game physics that after 10 minutes on tarmac I began to feel dizzy and I have to stop, perhaps I'm very sensitive but I don't have this problem with any other game !

Last edited:
Yo, can you please share your FFB settings you have after all that researching? _O_

I've never tried again to play the game because of this strange FFB feeling. Sorry I can'thelp you, but if you find something enjoyable let us know !

Back