DiRT Rally Thread

So, skimming the last page, despite the talk from CodeMasters of their 'sim-approach', the games FFB feels no different, than say, F1 2013 ? (my last CodeMasters game)

I'm interesting in seeing a revival of rally for the sim-racing genre, and find myself more interested in CM's venture than that of SMS. But if I can't expect any sort of 'revelation' for CM's FFB (there's a 'file' around apparently that makes it less horrid I hear), I'm not sure I want to buy into their Early Access atm.

Does anyone know what 'file' I'm talking about ?, does it help ?, or is the difference rather small ?

So, skimming the last page, despite the talk from CodeMasters of their 'sim-approach', the games FFB feels no different, than say, F1 2013 ? (my last CodeMasters game)

I'm interesting in seeing a revival of rally for the sim-racing genre, and find myself more interested in CM's venture than that of SMS. But if I can't expect any sort of 'revelation' for CM's FFB (there's a 'file' around apparently that makes it less horrid I hear), I'm not sure I want to buy into their Early Access atm.

Does anyone know what 'file' I'm talking about ?, does it help ?, or is the difference rather small ?
It's apparently worth it, but I noticed no difference personally.

The great thing is that we have a choice now instead of just having to be satisfied with a single approach. There is not a good or bad basically, as liking one approach over the other is just a subjective opinion of each individual. That individual plays a 'game/sim' for his entertainment, so as long as the player is entertained the game/sim has achieved its purpose for one of many.

So as a player I hope you'll be able to enjoy the fruits of your choice if you're ever deciding to buy early into one project or the other. :)

It seems Codemasters have read my messages. They want to do it their way and open up a challenge to Project CARS 2 on Twitter.

See: https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/613053499077718017

Knife to a gun fight is what I'm thinking at the moment.

I'm not genuinely playing (more testing) PC yet as I can't stand the lack of proper triple screen support, but the ffb is the best I've experienced. I had my concerns that all the work that they put into it wouldn't translate, but it does.

Devotees of other sims can throw the all too passe "simcade" around all they like - but PC is, and PC2 will be, a titanic simulation, and an extremely intimidating foe.

This game frustrates me. I would mess up at the beginning of a stage, restart, mess up again, restart, mess up near the end, restart, mess up, restart, until finally I finally do a somewhat alright run through a stage. Using a controller is definitely not helping either. But the relatively "hardcore" "simulator" is what appeals to me and my need to perfect it.

At the end of the day, no racing game on any platform has ever been perfect. The only question is whether any particular mix of content, graphics, physics, FFB, bugs, missing features, multiplayer capabilities and player base size is appealing to you personally.

I like DiRT Rally a lot, despite it's flaws. But then I played through DiRT 2 and 3 and enjoyed them too, despite their flaws.

Since the FFB patch, we've gone from "unplayable FFB unless you hack together something via a config file which helps just enough to be playable" to "nowhere near perfect, but at least the FFB doesn't get in the way anymore". This lets you enjoy the rest of the game, which is relatively challenging compared to earlier Codemasters games, and requires similar techniques to the only rally game which any simracer bothers mentioning: Richard Burns Rally.

It's much less playable for me now. That certainly doesn't mean I had anything good to say about the first iteration of ffb though.

I actually have a lot of fun with Dirt 3. It's such a blast with motion, and generally the first thing I put on if someone's in my rig for the first time. I'm not at all saying that I want that feel for DR though, and I'm not wanting a "nice" experience with the development. I'm keen to get my teeth stuck in to something that actually properly engages the physics, even if it's horrible to drive for a while.

Again, with 5 of the 6 ffb sliders controlling only damping and canned vibrations, it's not a very serious attempt at this point.

Anyone else noticed that SAT has no effect when driving over even slightly off track undulations?

Germany_037_2_A.jpg

Tarmac Terrors Update coming soon.

Price is increasing. Users who have already purchased are unaffected.

When the Tarmac Terrors pack drops next week we’ll be jiggling around our prices a little, as we continue our journey through Early Access the plan was always to slowly increase the price as we added more content.

To everybody that has already purchased a copy of DiRT Rally, nothing will change for you; you won't need to pay anything extra, we're not doing a special edition, you won't need to by a can of energy drink, you don't need to tweet a picture of you drinking a glass of water… Nothing. The game is yours and regardless of how much you pay for it you’ll get all of our content included for that one price.

Here’s a breakdown of how the price changes will work:

dr-prices.jpg

So… If you were on the fence about picking up DiRT Rally don’t say we didn't warn you about the price going up.

Decided to get DiRT Rally before the price increase, purely because I'm cheap like that :sly:

I'll probably 'dip my toes' throughout the coming week, in between other sims, and then go full-canonball the following holiday weekend, make my own explosive-noise with backfires :dopey:

I had a go using http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/nerve-v2-enhanced-ffb-for-dirt-rally-0-45.107573/ yesterday.

Interesting improvements, totally alter how the FFB reacts to the physics. Anyone else had a go with them yet?
I definitely respect your opinion, and still can't help wondering if having a non-specifically supported wheel is an issue, but to me it's the same rubbish - just in different configurations. For the most part it seems that Self Aligning Torque has been lowered in strength on it's default slider, but is now spread throughout a couple of the other effects as well (Suspension and Tyre Slip). It gives the illusion of there being more physics interaction to the ffb and options with how to set it all up, but it's really just the same old same old.

I definitely respect your opinion, and still can't help wondering if having a non-specifically supported wheel is an issue, but to me it's the same rubbish - just in different configurations. For the most part it seems that Self Aligning Torque has been lowered in strength on it's default slider, but is now spread throughout a couple of the other effects as well (Suspension and Tyre Slip). It gives the illusion of there being more physics interaction to the ffb and options with how to set it all up, but it's really just the same old same old.
Oh you're completely right, there's too much faking and not enough actual relationship to the road. The guy who produced those tweaks is very clear about the lengths he had to go to achieve this result.

But what that tweaking achieves is more balance between what is coming out of the physics and carefully tweaked adjustments of the fake effects, thereby creating a more effective illusion. For some people this balance might well do the trick and allow them to enjoy the game better.

I suppose in the end whether you can enjoy games like DiRT Rally is purely about how purist you are around FFB: personally I can enjoy any driving game as long as it has responsive controls, requires realistic driving techniques, and the FFB is enough to allow me to control the car without surprises. I will always be putting more hours into games with better FFB/physics, but there's too much fun to be had out of the Gran Turismos, Forzas and Codemasters games not to want to see past their deficiencies and enjoy their positives. :)

Found out today McAfee was messing it up, now i'm ok 👍

Good stuff, I would strongly advise using something other than McAfee. It's false-positive detection is horrific (it's generally pretty bad) so you may well encounter this with other programmes too.

Small reason for that...

Month three of DiRT Rally and our next big update is now live. Version v.0.5 – more commonly known as the Tarmac Terrors update – has now been added to DiRT Rally; it’s fast paced, technical and is going to require all your focus. Here’s the full run down of what you can expect in this month’s update.

Germany_Banner_1.jpg

NEW
  • 12 new rally stages based at Baumholder in Germany
  • Owners Club Online Events – A second DiRT Daily where you compete in your own car
  • A second weekly event where we’ll be experimenting and throwing new challenges at you
  • 7 new rally cars featuring new Group B RWD & Kit Car Classes
  • Renault Alpine A110 1600S
  • Opel Kadett GT/E 16v
  • Renault 5 Turbo
  • Opel Manta 400
  • Lancia 037 Evo 2
  • Seat Ibiza Kitcar
  • Peugeot 306 Maxi
  • New calibration and options screens in “Advanced Wheel Settings” (added in v.0.4.5)

If you’re new to DiRT Rally, hello! Welcome to the team. If you’ve been here for a while we want to thank you again for your continued support.

We’ve got a really exciting summer of content and updates planned so to be sure you’re in the loop on the latest DiRTy gossip make sure you are following us on Twitter, Facebook or even our subreddit.

DiRT-Rally_Peugeot-306-Maxi_2.jpg

FIXES
Alongside all of our new features we’ve been hard at work tracking cleaning those annoying bugs of the front of the bumper, here’s the full list of what we’ve fixed in this latest version:

• Error 41 – Fixed instances of the game not booting when there is less than 2GB of free space on C:\ drive. This was one of the causes of the dreaded error 41.
  • Achievement – “Going up in the world” will now pop if you had previously purchased a Hillclimb car but not received the achievement.
  • Stability – Driving the Peugeot 405 T16 would sometimes cause stability issues, we’ve fixed those now.
  • Graphics – Quite a few changes for users running Nvidia SLI. That weird black and orange screen bug is fixed and we’ve solved the graphical corruption when using SLI and anti-aliasing on high/ultra graphical presets.
  • Audio – The engine audio level in cockpit view can now be properly controlled by the slider.
  • Gameplay – The reset button should appear sooner during those awkward moments when you beach your car at the side of the road. Though we advise not beaching your car.
  • Gameplay – Sometimes you could rev the engine so hard on the Audi Sport Quattro the “Recover vehicle” prompt would pop up, it won’t do that anymore.
  • Gameplay – We’ve planted some trees and shrubs in areas of Greece and Wales where we spotted that some of you were taking shortcuts. Taking some cuts in rally is cool but these cuts were definitely not cool.
  • Gameplay – Fixed a loophole which would let you continually repair your car in Online Hillclimb events.
  • Gameplay – Online Hillclimb events will now factor in slower times from Run 2 and they won’t overwrite faster times from Run 1.
  • Message box – Stopped the Promotion message box from incorrectly displaying when you have completed the Masters Championship and finished in the top 3 positions.
  • Save – Your advanced set ups should now save as expected
  • Oculus – Sometimes the background on the main menu would vanish, we’ve fixed that now.
  • Online Events – You’ll now be disqualified if you don’t start moving within a minute
  • Leagues – Made the text on the league screens easier to read on lower resolutions.
  • Audio – You co-driver sometimes because a little disinterested if you left the centre of the track, we’ve spoken to him about his attitude.
  • Audio – Ever had two sets of music play over a replay? That’s not a remix version and it should stop happening from now on.
  • Controller Fix – Fixed an issue which meant players couldn’t change the stage conditions when using the Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel.
DiRT-Rally_Seat-Ibiza_1.jpg

To get the latest update you don’t need to do anything, simply fire up Steam and the full update should automatically download to your PC.

As with every big update we’ll be live with the DiRT Show which you can watch on twitch.tv/dirtgame. We’ll have competition prizes, you can ask the team questions; watch us play through all the new stuff. It’s going to be great so be sure to tune in.

- - - - -

EDIT: the two Renaults (Alpine A110 1600S and 5 Turbo) have been removed from the list of added vehicles

Last edited:
Hm.

The Renaults were in the original article they first released. Wonder if something came up.
I can confirm they didn't make it into this release. Just the 5 new cars.
Sadly the rally cars aren't yet allowed on Pikes Peak either, but hopefully that will come later.

I had a quick go on a new tarmac stage and it was as fun as expected, including some very fast sections. I also tried one of those '90's FWD kit cars around Greece stage but that was so much understeer!

Good stuff, I would strongly advise using something other than McAfee. It's false-positive detection is horrific (it's generally pretty bad) so you may well encounter this with other programmes too.
It was part of my new laptop install, so I hadn't disabled it yet :lol:

Downloading update now.

Latest Posts

Back