Dis-heartening - SRF

United States
Florida - USA
Flsurffisher
Working on finishing a tune of the Delta Integrale for the seasonal. Had tuned it down to 1.07.5. Had a friend who is in the 1.05's. Looked at what he was running. He's running Auto Tranny, Traction control at 5 and ASR. I continue tuning. Getting red on both fronts. Then I decide to go ASR. Guess what. 106.393. Are you kidding me? Took a whole 1.1 seconds off my time by going ASR. Did PD mess this up? Aren't we supposed to go faster by not using the aids? Have we dumbed it down so much to make everyone happy?

It's been like this for a while.... I remember struggling with the GT Academy test 2 years ago (I think), the Z @ Motegi, looked and saw all the top guys running driving aid, banged them on and went so much quicker...

Sad...but that's the way it is...

Running real life settings, not using "glitch/bug" setups are going to be slower than taking advantage of any bug/glitches (whatever people want to call them) setups..

Same with 'Ballast' setups, usually these give such good natural balance or turn in (depending what is done with it) it's hard to better them running without it..

Then, you have the driving aids, ASR, ASM, SRf etc etc whatever they are..

There's one consolation though, by ignoring all the above, yes, you'll probably be slower, but you'll learn alot more about suspension and LSDs etc and ultimately can become a better tuner for all situations quicker than if you were using any of the above..

As always what is viewed right or wrong is subjecitve and almost an endless arguement - so many modern cars have driving aids, why not use them, some racecars in the past have been made deliberately light so ballast can be strategically added to give better balance/performance...

Where does someone draw the line, it's going to be in a different place for lots of different people...

I remember running the Peugeot 905 around Rome in GT5 and getting a 0.45.1 and being very pleased with myself. I then noticed that SRF was left on by my roomate. I ran Rome again with no aides and got a 0.51.4 and I was so angry. I tested and tweaked my tunes for over a month trying to beat that time I set with SRF on, each time getting a little closer. Finally, one day I hit the magical tune and beat that time. Point is, it was extremely frustrating but I learned how to build a tune, at least for the 905 anyway, which was faster than running with SRF on, and the tune was stable enough that turning on all the aides didn't result in a quicker time! So it is possible to tune many cars so they'll be faster than running with aides on, but man it sure takes a lot of time and patience.

XS
I remember running the Peugeot 905 around Rome in GT5 and getting a 0.45.1 and being very pleased with myself. I then noticed that SRF was left on by my roomate. I ran Rome again with no aides and got a 0.51.4 and I was so angry. I tested and tweaked my tunes for over a month trying to beat that time I set with SRF on, each time getting a little closer. Finally, one day I hit the magical tune and beat that time. Point is, it was extremely frustrating but I learned how to build a tune, at least for the 905 anyway, which was faster than running with SRF on, and the tune was stable enough that turning on all the aides didn't result in a quicker time! So it is possible to tune many cars so they'll be faster than running with aides on, but man it sure takes a lot of time and patience.
I am finding that the case I am down to 1.06.734 without aids. Ticked off though. That Such a good time can be had with aids on. Shouldn't be.

Back