Disappointed !

• Thread starter gtbloke
  • 167 comments
The sense of speed we get from driving comes mainly from our peripheral vision. In a video game, you don't have that at all. Some games cheat and add a blur effect, but that isn't realistic. Until video games can give us g-forces and a 360 degree awareness, the correct sense of speed isn't really going to be there. I've only tracked a real car a couple of times, but going through a turn at 70 mph is a sphincter-clenching experience. In a video game, the same speed feels like grandma is driving.

The sense of speed we get from driving comes mainly from our peripheral vision. In a video game, you don't have that at all. Some games cheat and add a blur effect, but that isn't realistic. Until video games can give us g-forces and a 360 degree awareness, the correct sense of speed isn't really going to be there. I've only tracked a real car a couple of times, but going through a turn at 70 mph is a sphincter-clenching experience. In a video game, the same speed feels like grandma is driving.

Well a little advanced motion blur is realistic. For example I hate in GT to see the asphalt razor sharp and the worst thing to see the street and grass textures repeating every few yards like on Fuji or Suzuka. When I look at the asphalt or grass in reallife at this speeds its just a blury grey and green and no sharp repeating textures :indiff:. where you can see every single detail.

I'm quite dissapointed. I expected more. There is nothing much changed compared to GT4.
The graphic compared to GT4 are a smoother and blown up to 1080p. There is also more detail. But other than that, the game is quite similar to GT4. The demo also skips sometimes while racing.

Classic, just classic, nothing has changed since GT4 !!!

So the graphics are smoother, displayed at 1080p, more detail, but still nothing has changed? What exactly were you expecting ?!!!!

The "demo" skips because it's an online only Time Trial, it cheks your connection to the server each time it crosses the start finish line.

And the game is quite similar to GT4 bacause it is a "racing game" I know, hard to believe, but racing games generally involve driving cars, again, what were you expecting to find? Tanks maybe?

Thats got to be the worst moaning post I have seen, even beats the "tree's" moaners.

And the sense of speed is fine, it's realistic, thats how it should be, blurred vision isn't, unless you're out of your face on something, in which case you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

If you wan't arcade visuals and arcade physics, there's always NFS Shift and Forza 3 to keep you happy, leave GT5 for people who like it "Real"

A ton has changed since GT4, but the change from GT5P, to the demo is even a huge difference, I agree with the OP. But after reading through thread, I have confirmed what I need to do is play it more, to get used to it again, especially after putting about 100 hours into FM3. The physics are sooo different, and even the control, thanks for all the insight here guys, good info as usual.👍

And the sense of speed is fine, it's realistic, thats how it should be, blurred vision isn't, unless you're out of your face on something, in which case you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

If you wan't arcade visuals and arcade physics, there's always NFS Shift and Forza 3 to keep you happy, leave GT5 for people who like it "Real"

Well if repeating textures on the asphalt and grass are real then I missed something in reallife lol....

Some people think GT looks to slow, it´s just because you´re looking into a screen. On your sreen even reallife looks that slow. ;)

Some people think GT looks to slow, it´s just because you´re looking into a screen. On your sreen even reallife looks that slow. ;)

Yeah the speed looks same , but reallifecam gives a faster feeling beacuse it has a little motion blur as I said on previous posts and it looks shaky just more agressiv just look how Massas head movs . As you can see GT5p is razor sharp clear and static. Thats what it makes look slower than reallife even when they move at the same speed . Just my opinion so don't hate guys ;)

Everyone who is complaining about the sense of speed or lack of it should be made to watch that video.

That is a brilliant example of real world vs GT 👍

Yeah the speed looks same , but reallifecam gives a faster feeling beacuse it has a little motion blur as I said on previous posts
Actually, there is no motion blur on the real life F1 video. If you watch carefully, you'll see everything strobing by with no blur, such as the track surface stripes. The image is just blurry in general. Both videos are almost identical. If people don't think so, I think some bias is evident.

I will agree with you that some mild blurring would help, but as I said above, we're just too used to these games screaming along at insane speeds. So when a game portrays tracksides going past realistically, it doesn't look as fast. But that's why.

Actually, there is no motion blur on the real life F1 video. If you watch carefully, you'll see everything strobing by with no blur, such as the track surface stripes. The image is just blurry in general. Both videos are almost identical. If people don't think so, I think some bias is evident.

I will agree with you that some mild blurring would help, but as I said above, we're just too used to these games screaming along at insane speeds. So when a game portrays tracksides going past realistically, it doesn't look as fast. But that's why.

I wouldn't want to see mild blurring, you don't get any blurring form a TV camera, blurring the edges is a very human phenomenon, what your looking at is in focus, what you aren't looking at isn't. TV screens don't do that, all the TV screen is in focus, and because TV screens are generally small, the whole image appears in focus to you. If you watched gran Turismo on a Very large panoramic screen, your eyes would naturally blur the edges, giving the sense of speed. I would much rather PD didn't artificially blur the image.

If you have ever driven a car on an airstrip you will realise exactly that, you think your driving at 40mph and really you are doing 100mph. There aren't any objects in your peripheral to blur and it all feels a bit slow, but even then the engine is grunting and the wind is whistling. Computer games cannot win in this scenario until technology catches up. You can add blur effects, but to me it does not help me judge speed, only make me feel faster, and when I want to hit an apex, I want to be able to judge it, not feel like I am going too fast at the apex.

Like i said racing on a screen always looks slower than it feels in real life.
It´s because our body registers every bump on the road and the sound of the car. 150 km/h in a cheap car with bad dampers feel faster than in a Mercedes S-class for example.
I drove and recorded a real lap on the Nordschleife in an Audi A6. The video looks like GT4. Wow i´m doing 180 km/h... zZZzzZZZzz
But in reallife you can´t give the full throtle because you´re afraight of the speed. :scared:
A real A6 feels like the Formula GT in GT4. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Like i said racing on a screen always looks slower than it feels in real life.
It´s because our body registers every bump on the road and the sound of the car. 150 km/h in a cheap car with bad dampers feel slower than in a Mercedes S-class for example.
I drove and recorded a real lap on the Nordschleife in an Audi A6. The video looks like GT4. Wow i´m doing 180 km/h... zZZzzZZZzz
But in reallife you can´t give the full throtle because you´re afraight of the speed. :scared:
A real A6 feels like the Formula GT in GT4. :bowdown:

There's more to it than that even. The best analogy i can give is; its like running whilst looking through binoculars, you are moving at the same speed, but it looks slower. For those who play shooting games, grab a sniper rifle, look down the scope and start moving, objects appear to travel towards you very slowly even though you are travelling at normal speed. Its the same with driving on a TV screen, you are effectively driving with tunnel vision, which inevitably makes things feel slower.

Yeah point taken there pal. Gues it's practice, practice, practice then. Just finding it difficult compared to GT5P though.

the physics is on professional on the time trial demo, and the physics i guess u play on gt5p is on standard physics... thats why it feels differently.

I think the sensation of speed is not as bad as all that, the way I look at it is if you're doing 150mph in real life for more than 10 minutes then slow down to 100mph it feels like 50mph anyway. People are forgetting that we get used to every situation very quickly. The best thing game-wise is to keep upping the framerate, 200fps would make a difference but you'd soon get used to that too.

Back