Discouraged..no progression..?

Cuba
Miami, FL, CUBA
mistamontiel00
I've raced my ass off with the Celica. It's full tuned and..I've barely hit opponents/fences nor driven offroad.

I'm really frustrated, since after every race I tear up, I go back to the Event viewer and it's so hard to feel progression.

I'll check in them, and there'll be other cars, but they're always too slow for me.

I L0VE the challenge, so easy to oversteer. The music..the replays..it's such a random gift from Konami. But I really want to progress.

I raced nonstop 30-40 races tonight and I feel years away from victory.

Where are you in the ranking (assuming your are talking about Enthusia Life Mode)? And what class of races are you doing?

Thanks so much for replying. I'm firing it up now, I hope I'll read it good enough..

The very first races, I don't know what's the difference of them and then those RIV races or whatnot.

I just loaded, first screen is History. I see 2 previous races I knocked out. Last one says Lv. 10 and I'm rank 848.

Says Odds and stuff but I can't get it. All that, using Celica only. I've seen maybe 5-6 different tracks, excluding the dirt one.

I would like maybe more powerful opponents, but some on start, it's awful, no matter if they bump you you'll lose points. I don't know if anyone has ever beat this game out, clean, not a point lost.

Last edited:
Ok, in the race selection screen you are probably seeing the list of races available in a given class. Try to hit R1 or L1 and check if the list of races available changed (from R IV to R III , R II etc) . With the change of class come bigger, better and harder races, with different opponents in different tracks. And they give you many more points that'll help your progress in the ranking.

Hope this helps, have fun! 👍

Hun200kmh, so there are no championships and/or set of races as in GT ? It's just race and race and race till getting #1 rank ? Haha.

There are, but only in the "S" class of races, these ones have a specific weekly schedule and you must keep close attention to it in order to be driving the appropriate car when the time comes.

However, to enter this last class of races (and end the game-year in the top 6 that allows you to enter the ULTIMATE RACE - search KotY in this forum) you must go up in the rankings until IIRC 50th.

Good luck. You'll need it :sly:

IIRC 50th..dang. I would resort to GameFAQS but I don't think it'll be any much clearer.

I tried searching KotY by user and it couldn't find him..:[

LOL, I'm sorry , I should have explained myself better:

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

So, to be able to enter the hardest level of racing, you must be, if I recall correctly, at least 50th in the Enthusia Life ranking!

KotY = King of the Year (race)

"King of the Year" is the name of the "ultimate race" in Enthusia Life (that's what the game calls its career mode) . If you beat that race, you beat the game (get to see the ending credits, not anything that could change your life forever ;) )

So, in short.

When you start Enthusia Life you start at the bottom of the ranking (1000th position). You move up by racing, unlocking cars, leveling up the cars you are using). The first races you are able to enter are the easier ones (I think it's the RIV category), smaller ones and in small tracks like Marco Strada. They give you very few points.

As you progress you unlock higher levels of racing. You get tougher oponents, longer races in longer tracks. The points awarded per race are a lot more than at the beggining and allow you to climb the ranking.

WHEN you get to 50th in the ranking the last and hardest class of races becomes available (I Think, but I am not sure, this race-class is called "S" class in the game).

In this level, you no longer are able to choose between races, the "S" class has ONE race per game-week, in a pre-defined schedule that you can consult in the game "Calendar". And you must be with the right car, with the right specs, to be able to enter this race, or else you'll have to skip the week or resort to race in an inferior class.

Complicated? It gets better! :D

To be able to enter the "KING OF THE YEAR" race, you must get to the last week of any given game-year placed at least 6th in the ranking AND with the right car to enter that last race (road car, but a good one, if I recall correctly). The "King of the Year" race is a 3 lapper at the Nurburgring Nordschleife and against the toughest AI the game can provide. Not easy ...

Hope this cleared your doubts. If not, check the FAQ thread, maybe all other questions you have can be cleared by reading it. Good luck!

I just updated the FAQ with some detailed info I picked up from a Japanese wiki for the game, and perhaps this new section would help you, mistamontiel:
"How can I access the next class of races? I'm stuck doing the same races over and over!"

The different classes (RIV, RIII, RII, RI, RS) are opened when you reach certain ranks. If you lose ranking, you will be kicked out of the higher classes, so be sure to maintain your rank:
  • RN -- Always open
  • RIV -- Two wins or five races in RN
  • RIII -- Rank 800
  • RII -- Rank 500
  • RI -- Rank 300
  • RS -- Rank 50
I've also added details on how the Ranking, Skill, and Tuning points are calculated, which races have bonus prize cars, how exactly you unlock tracks in the game, and other details none of us knew until now (those Japanese players were rather fastidious in their analysis of the game... :lol: ). Later today I plan to add new info about how the tuning system works (after I do some testing to confirm theories in the wiki), so keep an eye on the FAQ. I keep a log of updates on the bottom, so you'll know if I update it again after today.

You said you're at Rank 848 now? If you can manage to get that down to 800 and open up RIII, it'll more than double the base points you earn from your class (RIV is 20; RIII is 50) which should help you on your way down to #1. :)

To be able to enter the "KING OF THE YEAR" race, you must get to the last week of any given game-year placed at least 6th in the ranking AND with the right car to enter that last race (road car, but a good one, if I recall correctly). The "King of the Year" race is a 3 lapper at the Nurburgring Nordschleife and against the toughest AI the game can provide. Not easy ...
The King of the Year race should be open to any roadcar (not R-class), but the opponents don't seem to "scale down" very far, so even if you take a Suzuki Cappuccino, you'll probably end up facing WRX STIs and such. Still, given the difficulty of the AI, it helps to avoid taking a high-A-class car, or else you could have a grid of intelligent high-A-class cars to contend with.

My personal recommendation is to take a car somewhere in the high-C-class to low-A-class range. And as I recall, it's a 2-lap race, not three (I think the Nürburgring Enduro is the only 3-lapper on that track).

Also, I recently just finished getting a trophy on every RS race on the calendar, and I have to say, the Race Car Championship is a helluva lot more difficult than the King of the Year race ever was!

Hun200kmh !! Wolfe !! Thanks S0 S0 MUCH. I hauled..I hauled and hauled, and I just pondered to myself why am I not getting a kick out of this game, being Rank #848 with a full tuned Celica..?

Very well understood when progress is being made.

But, there's no such system to pick whichever vehicle you'll need, right ? Don't you randomly get vehicles you've raced by a random roulette, or end up without one ?

I've unlocked maybe 20 that just suck. I don't know if the Driving Revolution helps out in Career, I've done a T0N of DR mode. I'm still stunned they'd overlook not giving you an option for Manual shifts in DR but it is a really neat mode, with plenty to unlock..in Free mode I suppose..

I sure wished Konami would share and express their experience of making such a brilliant driving simulator. I wished they'd make Enthusia 2 !!

Thanks for keeping this place alive !! Cheers !!

The cars you earn in Enthusia Life are separate from everything else. Think of it like the difference between your personal garage and the cars that are simply "available" in the other modes.

I think some people underestimated the "ownership" quality of the EL garage. There were many complaints that you just unlocked cars and never really felt like you "owned" them, but EL remembers your tuning settings, paint color, even the transmission choice (you can switch between an automatic Mercedes Benz and a manual Lotus on the fly; in GT and Forza you have to go to the option menu). I've been working on my EL career lately and I had to reload a save once because I was messing around in the car search engine and clicked on a car I had driven before. Rather than opening the paint/transmission options and such like usual, Enthusia went, "Oh yes, I remember, here's your car!" and blew a week on the car switch, something I didn't really want.

If you're still having trouble, mistamontiel, might I suggest trying a slower car? I'm not sure what Celica you're driving (ST205? ZZT231?) but although the full-tune isn't hurting your odds, you could probably stand to downgrade to something else. Then you'll be able to push through this slump and start unlocking more stuff, including new tracks for the other modes.

I'm tentatively hanging around this place again, so if you'd like, I could give you a suggestion from the list of cars you've earned so far. The car you drive affects the cars you'll find in races, so if you've got your heart set on earning something specific, it would help to know that too.

Glad I could help mistamontiel , the truth is all I told you is from memory (and the love I have for this amazing game). I don't have a PS2 any more and therefore I don't play Enthusia since more than 2 years. Wolfe, however, seems to have rediscovered it (or never ceased to play it) so his advice is probably more valuable than mine!

Wolfe
Also, I recently just finished getting a trophy on every RS race on the calendar, and I have to say, the Race Car Championship is a helluva lot more difficult than the King of the Year race ever was!

Been there, done that, a long, long time ago (is it 5 years next February??? Oh my, age is getting to me :lol: )
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77213&highlight=EL+career

(post #8, last paragraph. Good times! :) )

I never stopped playing, but I haven't had consistent access to a working PS2 until recent months (my fiancée's roommates have one, and my sister left the country for a month and is letting me use her PS2 slim and PS3). Thus my recent exploits in the RS calendar and such.

As someone who never tires of racing sims, Enthusia's combination of almost-LFS-like physics, fun tracks, and a stockpile of licensed cars (many of which I have yet to even drive) trumps everything else. I'm still keeping up with "the scene" -- I tried and rather enjoyed the new NFS: Hot Pursuit, and I plan to rent GT5 before my sister returns -- but even when everyone's playing GT6 and Forza 13 (myself included) and all PS2s on the planet have dead DVD drives, I'll still play Enthusia on PCSX2.

Really, though, the reason I'm here is because of my discovery of Road Fighters and its mysterious ties to Enthusia. No one seemed to have noticed the connection yet, so I broke my silence and came back to share with the only online community that might give a crap.

1071522661.jpg

Holy crud !! That arcade game looks great !! Suppose you'll need lamemame to go emul8 it :] The Enthusia running in PCSX2 looks clean, very much so.

I think it's the oldest Celica, early early one I unlocked and just raced constantly. Probably year '98.

Yeh, of course, switching to any other car burns a week out of your career. :[ But if I wanted to win tons of races I'd probably go with the Supra, or a Skyline. Hehe

EDIT: And by the way, did that arcade game get on PS1 ? If so, I suppose it'll be very rare to hunt down

I wouldn't worry about burning a week on a car switch. It's just a part of the gameplay. Besides, the game only counts 9 of the last 12 weeks, so you get three "freebies," and you're constantly wiping old results away. Theoretically, you could switch cars once per month and still get as many points as possible.

Both of the Celicas in this game are C class, so try something in D class, or something less sporty in C class. You need higher odds (slower car) to earn more points, so a Supra or Skyline would almost certainly slow you down at this point. The key is to find the balance between what's challenging and what still allows you to win (or finish in a decent place -- winning isn't always necessary). The faster races will come later.

I don't think Winding Heat ended up on PSX, and arcade emulators are still struggling to deal with the early 3D era. IMO, you'd be better off acquiring a copy or disc image of Ridge Racer: Type 4 and playing that on a PSX emulator. If you've never played them, there's always the original Gran Turismos, too.

Hey, R4 doesn't seem so bad. Except just the main menu doesn't play music..I do mount in Daemon Tools Lite and Run CDROM, all the time. It's doing a Cruisn tho, the cars you'd think have more than 4 gears don't, lol.

I remember way back trying to discuss here on playing GT online but I was frowned upon. PS4NET Beta 0.4 was doing something..but GT1 really only worked when it wanted to. Plus ePSXe 1.6 seems to crash on me now, but 1.7 does not. I've read the older ePSXe the better for netplay, but not so sure.

EDIT: And I'm grabbing the Bonus disc as well, wonder how it is. Definitely dig the soundtrack. Ah, it's yet another Namco compilation.

Last edited:
I remember way back trying to discuss here on playing GT online but I was frowned upon.
Talking about the concept of emulators is fine. Getting into the details and ways to find or play ROMs is where it crosses the line, which is probably why you got into trouble.

Sure thing. Thanks. :)

I'd say I was surprised you picked up this instead of GT5 and a PS3, but its not like the cost of EPR set you back too much to pick those up in the future, if you so choose. Glad you're enjoying the game. 👍

I decided not to buy a PS3 at this point because of the mixed reviews of GT5 here. Maybe in a few months though, depending on how the updates to GT5 go.

But after waiting for so long, I had to try something new so tracked down a copy of Enthusia, really glad I did. (not to mention happy it cost 2% of a PS3 and GT5!)

I like the ranking concept used in Enthusia life, the tracks are great, physics are excellent and I really enjoy the unique cars not available in the GT series - I've used the Mazda RX-3 mainly so far. Though have to admit not quite sure of not being able to 'own' cars as in GT.

You earn a car you've raced against at random. Switching cars could set you back a week. I've been using the same Celica for the longest, and now I must read thru here again.

Hun200kmh, Wolfe, these guys are the best at explaining and recommending the game, hope they come around. Merry holidays and cheers !!

I like the ranking concept used in Enthusia life, the tracks are great, physics are excellent and I really enjoy the unique cars not available in the GT series - I've used the Mazda RX-3 mainly so far. Though have to admit not quite sure of not being able to 'own' cars as in GT.
It's more that Konami really underplays the "ownership" aspect of the game. In Enthusia Life, the game saves tuning levels, suspension/drivetrain settings, paint color, and transmission choice on each car. And there are no "chips" limiting the number of times you can repaint your car. ;) Only original factory colors, though...

The cars in your EL list you haven't used are "in the dealership" and unlocked. The cars you've used at least once are "in your garage."

I absolutely love this game. The levelling system has been copied straight into GT5. I think that must be a compliment. However, they really should make another copy of this game. It really does shine, and the point of getting black flagged is superb.

Sorry bumping this old mess. And I have been hesitant to dust off everything and fire up the masterpiece that is Enthusia.

BUT..who killed off all the threads here ? Honestly, why tarnish the only Enthusia base here by killing off threads ? 0ut of curiousity

Do you mean the threads that have disappeared from the forum listing? GTPlanet's default setting is to list only the threads that have had posts in the past year. You can change this under "Display Options" near the bottom of the webpage. There's probably a few pages of threads you've never even seen, so you can go partake in some nostalgia if you'd like. :)

I don't know if you have an Xbox 360, mistamontiel, but Forza Motorsport 4 has turned out to be a very, very good game. You owe it to yourself to at least find someone who will let you play the game on their Xbox. Incredibly, Enthusia still retains its edge in basic kinetics, particularly low-speed physics, but FM4's new tire model is so great it practically masks all of the flaws. Beyond that, the cars, tracks, and feature list all speak for themselves. This game is so on top of everything.

Still, Enthusia has so much more character and personality. The fantasy street/road-courses, the plethora of cars with less than 200hp, the detailed specifications Forza tries so hard to gloss over, the original soundtrack, all of the unique details and ideas (really wish that Free Race customizable grid option would have caught on)...I'm really glad to have something new to play, something genuinely good and not just "good enough." But it's no Enthusia 2.

Wolfe, thanks so much for that. lol "From the beginning", wow 8 pages of threads !

I doubt I will get an Xbox. I remember playing Test Drive Unlimited 1 on my friend's though, great games ! It's too bad they did not make it for the PS3 either..

BUT..they made it for the PS2. With no manual transmission, nor interiors don't think..how ironic that they wouldn't put it on PS3 ?

Konami, maaan..hopefully someday they will kick our ass with Enthusia 2..I still haven't gotten grips to where I am at, shamefully I probably haven't put my Enthusia in the PS2 in a half year =\ Will do before 2012 for sure though !

Back