Dive bomber causes 10 second penalty

United States
Indiana
pie4july
I don't mean to create one of those threads, but this one triggered me.

Keep an eye on my radar. Someone dive bombs the guy behind me and doesn't make it resulting in me having to serve a 10 second penalty on the final lap of the race.

I like the penalty system in general, I think it has been fair. It can never be perfect, but that doesn't stop the frustration from events like this. I don't know how the game got this one wrong...

Got a 10 sec penalty in this video, I didn't do anything wrong as far as I know. Penalties need to be worked on still.

I think that the game misinterpreted as you hit the guy that was trying to pass you and once he went out of the track after you hit him you get that 10s penalty. A couple of days ago I was on a race where the guy behind me didn't even brake at the end of the straight and hit me full on. I then hit the guy in front of me and he went out of the track. I got a 10s penalty even thou I didn't do anything wrong.

It can't even get the most obvious cases right, SR Down for getting punted
PIZqXk8.gif

He didn't even get a penalty for that.

It happened to a fellow racer for me as well today at B.H. - I was keeping an eye on the polish guy behind, missed my brakingpoint badly going in to turn one, punted a poor guy into the gravel trap, and he is the one getting red SR and 5sec penalty. Altough i must say it seems to even out. I im currently stuck at C/C, five podiums today against B drivers, but someone always hit me and I have been the one taking the SR hit. Its strange.

Keep an eye on my radar. Someone dive bombs the guy behind me and doesn't make it resulting in me having to serve a 10 second penalty on the final lap of the race.

I like the penalty system in general, I think it has been fair. It can never be perfect, but that doesn't stop the frustration from events like this. I don't know how the game got this one wrong...

Yeah, the game saw you hit someone who then almost instantly left the track... frustrating as hell.

You got the penalty because there was contact and the other guy went off. We know the game cannot discern blame so I don't really know why you're surprised.

If you hadn't turned into him, he'd have sailed on past you, crashed himself and you'd have got back past him again.

You got the penalty because there was contact and the other guy went off. We know the game cannot discern blame so I don't really know why you're surprised.

If you hadn't turned into him, he'd have sailed on past you, crashed himself and you'd have got back past him again.

I'm surprised because I've never had a big issue with the penalty until now.

If I hadn't turned into him? Are you having a laugh? :lol::lol::lol:

I never saw him coming. He came from behind the guy behind me, and I was already committed to the corner by that time. This is most definitely not my fault :lol:

Look at the point of contact. I have to be committed to the corner by this point. This is a textbook example of a divebomb. I know the game can't always determine it, but I am surprised one would suggest it is my fault
Screenshot_20180220-071932.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised because I've never had a big issue with the penalty until now.

If I hadn't turned into him? I never saw him coming. He came from the guy behind me, and I was already committed to the corner by that time. This is most definitely not my fault :lol:

Look at the point of contact. I have to be committed to the corner by this point. This is a textbook example of a divebomb. I know the game can't always determine it, but I am surprised one would suggest it is my fault
View attachment 715706 View attachment 715706
I've taken to trying to avoid all contact through fear of unwarranted penalties now :lol: it's very easy to learn to treat all other cars as if they are lava or something. You could see on your radar he was coming inside, just stay outside and wait for him to crash before turning.

Edit: no one said it was your fault, just explaining what the system sees.

I've taken to trying to avoid all contact through fear of unwarranted penalties now :lol: it's very easy to learn to treat all other cars as if they are lava or something. You could see on your radar he was coming inside, just stay outside and wait for him to crash before turning.

Edit: no one said it was your fault, just explaining what the system sees.

I didn't see him on the radar though. I glanced at it before the corner, but I was focused on the corner by the time he came on to it. I had to watch the replay to find out where he came from

I didn't see him on the radar though. I glanced at it before the corner, but I was focused on the corner by the time he came on to it. I had to watch the replay to find out where he came from

Fair enough 👍

As I said though: I'm really focusing on getting my SR up now and you do become hyper aware of other cars. Even if someone is catching me up on a straight I will move way over and let them past :lol: and always concede if someone is on my inside approaching a corner.

A major part of racing is avoiding other people. Perhaps you should use a view that has a rear view mirror and you would have seen him coming.

At the start of the video, you're already trying to get rid of a previous penalty. How many penalties do you get in a race?

A major part of racing is avoiding other people. Perhaps you should use a view that has a rear view mirror and you would have seen him coming.

At the start of the video, you're already trying to get rid of a previous penalty. How many penalties do you get in a race?

I've been using a hood cam for years in racing games. It's the view I am most comfortable with.

I'm a Dr B, Sr S driver and as such I usually do not get any penalties. The earlier penalty was the only other penalty I had in the race. I received it when I had a slight off.

Screenshot_20180220-075154.png

Edit: I said chase cam. I meant to say the hood cam.

Last edited:
I use chase too*... all I would say is once you hit your braking point and go fully onto the brakes just check the radar again. That being said, you aren't the first or last to get unfairly penalised like this.

*said before OP changed to say HOOD :lol:

Last edited:
Keep an eye on my radar.
You can see his arrow closing on you and on your left side for 2.5 seconds before the impact. That gave you 2.5 seconds to brake in a straight line rather than narrowing the gap to the apex.

Once contact occurs, you're at the mercy of the penalty system - which seems to have judged the fact that the other car left the track after the contact as a punishable offence for you. So keep an eye on your own radar and avoid avoidable contacts like this.

Thats the first time that's happened to you? this happens to me ALL the time. It's why i rarely do sport mode unless i really like the track/car combo (not a fan of GR4/3 at the moment).

Brands Hatch T1 is the worst for this imo. Because 1. It seems to think any braking for the corner is check-braking 2. when you get punted off there's a lot of sand to slow you down and makes you go from first to last 3. It happens way too often.

I don't think it's right you got a penalty, I'm just trying to explain why the game gave you it.

I've got a video of me going into the first corner at Interlagos. I saw someone coming in my mirror and knew he wasn't making the corner, so I didn't turn in. He sailed past me, and off, and I turned in behind him and went on my merry way. If I'd have turned in, he'd have used me as a brake and made it round while knocking me off. Sometimes you have to drive on your mirrors and if you've not got one, you're going to get hit.

You can see his arrow closing on you and on your left side for 2.5 seconds before the impact. That gave you 2.5 seconds to brake in a straight line rather than narrowing the gap to the apex.

Once contact occurs, you're at the mercy of the penalty system - which seems to have judged the fact that the other car left the track after the contact as a punishable offence for you. So keep an eye on your own radar and avoid avoidable contacts like this.

I usually do, unfortunately I just didn't catch it this time. I was struggling with tire wear at the end, so I was focusing on the corner. That's all

I don't think it's right you got a penalty, I'm just trying to explain why the game gave you it.

I've got a video of me going into the first corner at Interlagos. I saw someone coming in my mirror and knew he wasn't making the corner, so I didn't turn in. He sailed past me, and off, and I turned in behind him and went on my merry way. If I'd have turned in, he'd have used me as a brake and made it round while knocking me off. Sometimes you have to drive on your mirrors and if you've not got one, you're going to get hit.

I understand what you're saying. I really wish PD gave a mirror to the cam because I'm just not as comfortable or fast in other cams.

Thats the first time that's happened to you? this happens to me ALL the time. It's why i rarely do sport mode unless i really like the track/car combo (not a fan of GR4/3 at the moment).
I've been penalized before when I didn't believe I should have been. But I have never had it hurt my finish as bad as this incident. With it happening on the last lap, and being a 10 second penalty, I had no choice but to pull over and let it run out. In the process, I lost a few positions. While I was not running that well, it certainly annoyed me to have to finish worse than I was running

guys with SR 55 trying to tell people how to race clean lol
check the people who crticised you and you will find your answer mate
Now check my SR history, and see if you can work out why the person who researches Gran Turismo for the largest Gran Turismo fan site's reference guides and articles might have an SR history that looks like that...

Incidentally, sentences begin with a capital letter.

Now check my SR history, and see if you can work out why the person who researches Gran Turismo for the largest Gran Turismo fan site's reference guides and articles might have an SR history that looks like that...

Incidentally, sentences begin with a capital letter.

Last time I checked this was a forum and not a university dissertation? (put caps in at the start just for you)

Back