Diversifying the Car Base

  • Thread starter Thread starter andy0a
  • 48 comments
  • 1,818 views
Messages
733
United States
Stanton, California
Messages
aphan111
Polyphony Digital is of course a Japanese company and I've noticed it since playing the GT series, but I get it, Japanese company, give some love to the car manufacturers over there. Throw in every possible offering and differing model of Nissan production cars, from Silvias to Fairlady's to Skylines. I understand, PD wants to get cozy with their sponsor, but in GT6 and before that GT5, its a bit outta hand.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if PD emphasized Japanese brands but if they tried to mitigate it with more offerings from European or American makers that would be cool. I understand also licensing issues, but, its not like PD is going broke or in bankruptcy if they tried to license one more car or something.

Now we come to the main issue of this thread (rant mode: on) SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? Skyline Nur, Skyline R33 from 1995 then from 1996. R34s from 1999 then 2000 then 2001. Show love for Nissan, but you are smothering the world with your imports. I love imports, I love domestics, I own an import, but there is a limit.

I go to Aston Martin seeing if they added some new things, lovely that they added the Limited Production 177, but they get lazy, and just to fill their quota so they can say over 1200 cars, they drop the same car model but different years. Didn't bother to make one of them premium, why not. You can just copy and paste the interior to this one. Nice they dropped in the Vanquish, the DB9 and a Vantage, wait its the old one, not the current sexy v8 Vantage. No DBS? The actually sporty model built for racing DBS?

Lamborghini, has a decent amount, but there have been some really cool cars for Lamborghini, the Sesto, the Veneno and the convertibles.

They throw an unbelievable amount of attention, an unbelievable amount of bias on Nissan, which is a decent car company but I don't need to know or ever wanted to know that this Skyline came in purple and was a one make. Then they don't throw enough time into premiuming cars or licensing ones that I'm sure people would enjoy.

RUF for example, better looking but Premium it, Supras, okay the 80s model was cool, but the 90s model was even awesomer.

Maybe I've been drinking too much Haterade and I should just go **** off, but maybe I'm right. Maybe I said it too soon, maybe PD is actually listening to the consumer base and is rolling out updates with DBS, LaFerraris, and popular cooler cars.

I'm still going to play this game don't get me wrong, but the Skyline to car ratio is just jacked up.

Tell me if you guys feel the same way.
 
It's been this way since the dawn of time for the GT series, not to sound rude (since I agree with you) but this has been around and I hope you just didn't barely notice. I actually hope a lot more people notice. This is one of a few key reasons FM4 out did GT5 because of diversity acceptance while PD weren't as bold.

Also if too soon is 15 years then sure I guess it's too soon to talk about GT diversity as set by PD. I think the ray of hope is the GTV stuff being as big as it is.
 
It's been this way since the dawn of time for the GT series, not to sound rude (since I agree with you) but this has been around and I hope you just didn't barely notice. I actually hope a lot more people notice. This is one of a few key reasons FM4 out did GT5 because of diversity acceptance while PD weren't as bold.

No I haven't barely noticed, I did say I noticed it since starting the GT series since 3 to be exact, but I'm trying to get the word out. Although it is a bit totalitarian over at PD so they might just tune us out, and with GT7 add 20 more skylines but this time they happen to be R33's.
 
No I haven't barely noticed, I did say I noticed it since starting the GT series since 3 to be exact, but I'm trying to get the word out. Although it is a bit totalitarian over at PD so they might just tune us out, and with GT7 add 20 more skylines but this time they happen to be R33's.

No I saw that but I mean why not say something then or when it was at it's peak with GT5. Problem is many of us have been speaking on this and the GT super fans -you're just a regular fan cause you don't accept it like it's your very own flesh and blood- don't see it and usually cop out with, "well if you don't like them don't drive them". Sadly saying such blind inane things is getting to the point that you've gone, which is instead of loading the list and misleading the ads with a number of cars that it really isn't, why not try working with different automotive fronts you haven't in prior games.
 
PD hates BMW they won't put my beloved E30 M3 in the game :grumpy:
 
This car bias thing probably peaked about 10 years ago. For GT5 and GT6 it isn't really that bad.
 
No I saw that but I mean why not say something then or when it was at it's peak with GT5. Problem is many of us have been speaking on this and the GT super fans -you're just a regular fan cause you don't accept it like it's your very own flesh and blood- don't see it and usually cop out with, "well if you don't like them don't drive them". Sadly saying such blind inane things is getting to the point that you've gone, which is instead of loading the list and misleading the ads with a number of cars that it really isn't, why not try working with different automotive fronts you haven't in prior games.

Exactly, I completely agree with you on that point. Gran Turismo puts in all these nice features such as suspension and motion blur and physics, but its more of a distraction from the backbone which is all these cars. 1200 cars when in reality its

2129293.jpg


In short, we could actually think about a petition and if we get enough people on it, petition PD to diversify their brands, that doesn't mean cut out your Skylines, Nissan has been a loyal sponsor of PD and I respect that, but add more to balance it out. If anything write a letter of grievance with a couple thousand signatures.

PD hates BMW they won't put my beloved E30 M3 in the game :grumpy:

I feel you man :(
 
This car bias thing probably peaked about 10 years ago. For GT5 and GT6 it isn't really that bad.

Sure it is, because they transferred that bias over from the game you're talking about that was ten years ago.

@andy0a Yeah we can, it wouldn't be the first petition signed against PD but anyways if you want to start one up I'll sign.
 
All right, I'll start one tomorrow, I got final exams lol. I'll also change the title thread to reflect the petition as well. Thanks for your input though.
 
I'm the first person to critizise PD, but if you look at the list of new cars added to GT6, American and European cars account for around 70%

In other Words. Stupid thread is stupid.
 
I'm the first person to critizise PD, but if you look at the list of new cars added to GT6, American and European cars account for around 70%

In other Words. Stupid thread is stupid.

For once I agree with you. Most of the cars the OP are complaining about have been in the game since GT3 & GT4. There really isn't anything to complain about.
 
I'm the first person to critizise PD, but if you look at the list of new cars added to GT6, American and European cars account for around 70%

In other Words. Stupid thread is stupid.

Maybe so but come on we have every possible variation of Skyline in the game some of which with differences that aren't even bloody visible, Now I don't like american cars at all frankly but something along then lines of atleast one of every Mustang would be a start (Major facelifts)
 
Maybe so but come on we have every possible variation of Skyline in the game some of which with differences that aren't even bloody visible, Now I don't like american cars at all frankly but something along then lines of atleast one of every Mustang would be a start (Major facelifts)

True, but a lot of the time with complaints like these it seems like people are only disappointed because they think GT should have had a few more Mustangs. Which is true, but it needs a lot of other cars too, so it's not that strong a point.

The example in threads like these most of the time is "too many skylines not enough mustangs" and to be fair to PD they've added three premium Mustangs, as well as loads of other popular American cars plus new Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc.

Compared to GT4 & 5, you really can't complain about the regional ratios.
 
I'm the first person to critizise PD, but if you look at the list of new cars added to GT6, American and European cars account for around 70%

In other Words. Stupid thread is stupid.

Yes and though that is true, the fact remains the 70% compared to overall is still quite diminished, but your ignorance still perpetuates I suppose.

True, but a lot of the time with complaints like these it seems like people are only disappointed because they think GT should have had a few more Mustangs. Which is true, but it needs a lot of other cars too, so it's not that strong a point.

The example in threads like these most of the time is "too many skylines not enough mustangs" and to be fair to PD they've added three premium Mustangs, as well as loads of other popular American cars plus new Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc.

Compared to GT4 & 5, you really can't complain about the regional ratios.

Yeah but that's not the case this time, and thus you're talking this on some tangent that doesn't even exist based on past users. The problem remains and truth be told it is quite easy to just get rid of duplicates especially when they are supplying us with a wealth of new items like the GTV stuff I hinted at.

Though ironically I see your comment and Jawehawk's fodder, I do agree in that this thread has been done to death in GT5 and after before GT6 and is going to be done until the ratios equalize.
 
True, but a lot of the time with complaints like these it seems like people are only disappointed because they think GT should have had a few more Mustangs. Which is true, but it needs a lot of other cars too, so it's not that strong a point.

The example in threads like these most of the time is "too many skylines not enough mustangs" and to be fair to PD they've added three premium Mustangs, as well as loads of other popular American cars plus new Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc.

Compared to GT4 & 5, you really can't complain about the regional ratios.

Oh I only mentioned Mustangs as an example, I could and would have been here all day if I decided on other brands, I have been thinking about this regional ratio thing however, Please show me any Indian or even Chinese cars in GT6 :)
 
Yes and though that is true, the fact remains the 70% compared to overall is still quite diminished, but your ignorance still perpetuates I suppose.

The argument about PD being biased towards Japanese cars is left mute by the fact that the majority of cars added now-a-days aren't Japanese. I completely agree that all the dupes need to be burned to the ground, but none the less, they are old models from a different time.
 
Yeah but that's not the case this time, and thus you're talking this on some tangent that doesn't even exist based on past users. The problem remains and truth be told it is quite easy to just get rid of duplicates especially when they are supplying us with a wealth of new items like the GTV stuff I hinted at.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree because I'm in the "don't get rid of cars why the hell would you do that" camp. IMO there's no such thing as bad variation. They don't take time to design, they don't slow down the game, I just can't see the logic in removing cars, apart from for the appeasement of people that don't like them.

Oh I only mentioned Mustangs as an example, I could and would have been here all day if I decided on other brands, I have been thinking about this regional ratio thing however, Please show me any Indian or even Chinese cars in GT6 :)

Well obviously there are cars missing, as there are in all games. Not every popular car can be in the game, and IMO good additions have been put into GT6. In terms of additions there is no Japanese bias, they've added a good selection of the most popular cars, and for GT7 they'll probably add a load more.

I'm not sure what point you're making about Chinese and Indian cars, neither country really exists in terms of production on the global car market.
 
Last edited:
The argument about PD being biased towards Japanese cars is left mute by the fact that the majority of cars added now-a-days aren't Japanese. I completely agree that all the dupes need to be burned to the ground, but none the less, they are old models from a different time.

I think the better title would be not bias but rather the insisting of PD to expand their amount of cars by porting. It's an asinine advertisement, that doesn't even do what is said and though they're from a different time they are still here with us in a modern era. Compared to the amount that was just added and that DLC is in the pipeline along with patch update cars, I'd say we should wait and pass judgement. But the main issues still resides in the bulk of the cars in these games being ported over.
 
snip
I'm not sure what point you're making about Chinese and Indian cars, neither country really exists in terms of production on the global car market.

Really is that so ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roewe , Think you might find the newest MG models are actually Chinese made cars that have been re-badged, Also alot of cars sold in China are actually Chinese, Or maybe we can use a better example Czechoslovakia hmm show me a Skoda in GT6, They are good cars and sell well, Or how about Russian cars ? No love for Lada, I'll stop there.
 
I think we'll have to agree to disagree because I'm in the "don't get rid of cars why the hell would you do that" camp. IMO there's no such thing as bad variation. They don't take time to design, they don't slow down the game, I just can't see the logic in removing cars, apart from for the appeasement of people that don't like them.

Well I guess that's why I don't find common ground with those who horde (not that you do), I feel Kaz and PD in general suffer from a hording mentality. Why you'd get rid of cars is because they don't hold an utility when duplicated also they do take time when they aren't modeled correctly the first time due to being a port and then need time to be worked on for each following iteration. So they actually have work involved in them and will have more in the future if they carry over to the PS4 rendition. I don't see the logic in why people have one standard in completed work that is of high quality and are fine with slacking in another person of the same said work.

There is a reason people don't like them, for me it's because I pay for quality throughout the game, I work and study in an area where detail is required. Other devs make sure detail is through out the product they wish for me to buy, and then you have PD saying that this is there mantra yet the work shows otherwise. Perhaps it's more moral in nature than anything else, but also once again utility there is no reason for several of the same gen Mazda Miata unless it's a special edition that is different from the main.
 
Really is that so ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roewe , Think you might find the newest MG models are actually Chinese made cars that have been re-badged, Also alot of cars sold in China are actually Chinese, Or maybe we can use a better example Czechoslovakia hmm show me a Skoda in GT6, They are good cars and sell well, Or how about Russian cars ? No love for Lada, I'll stop there.

?!?!?!?!

What new Chinese MG would you want added to the game? I'm sorry but this is argument for the sake of it.

So no Ladas or Skodas, please keep going.
 
?!?!?!?!

What new Chinese MG would you want added to the game? I'm sorry but this is argument for the sake of it.

So no Ladas or Skodas, please keep going.

I'm giving examples here ones that people will have heard of at the very least, Of course there is more than just one brand from whatever country you pick but my argument still stands, Russian cars ? Nope, Chinese cars ? Nope, Czech cars ? Nope, Indian cars ? nope, Swedish ? Yeah 3 and non of them are Saab's (Yet again just another example)
 
Well I guess that's why I don't find common ground with those who horde (not that you do), I feel Kaz and PD in general suffer from a hording mentality. Why you'd get rid of cars is because they don't hold an utility when duplicated also they do take time when they aren't modeled correctly the first time due to being a port and then need time to be worked on for each following iteration. So they actually have work involved in them and will have more in the future if they carry over to the PS4 rendition. I don't see the logic in why people have one standard in completed work that is of high quality and are fine with slacking in another person of the same said work.

There is a reason people don't like them, for me it's because I pay for quality throughout the game, I work and study in an area where detail is required. Other devs make sure detail is through out the product they wish for me to buy, and then you have PD saying that this is there mantra yet the work shows otherwise. Perhaps it's more moral in nature than anything else, but also once again utility there is no reason for several of the same gen Mazda Miata unless it's a special edition that is different from the main.

True. It makes sense to get rid of them, I just like the idea of a very particular 'J-edition, S GT etc.' model of car being available in game for it's real life owner.

And to be fair the RX-7s and Skylines could all be semi-upgraded in one sweep, like a lot of MX-5s have been, because of the pre-existing models for them.

I'm giving examples here ones that people will have heard of at the very least, Of course there is more than just one brand from whatever country you pick but my argument still stands, Russian cars ? Nope, Chinese cars ? Nope, Czech cars ? Nope, Indian cars ? nope, Swedish ? Yeah 3 and non of them are Saab's (Yet again just another example)

I wouldn't say that not having Lada's, any new MGs (please name a new Chinese model of MG that you feel should be added), Skodas, other Czech cars (according to wikipedia there are six Czech manufacturers which are: Aero, Avia, Tatra, Kaipan, Skoda and Praga. Which, other than Skoda, should be added?), Indian cars (Tata? Really?), and Swedish cars other than Volvo (I'll give you that, Koenigsegg should be in the game, maybe Saab but once again, this is a racing game, not many people are crying out for Saabs) make PD particularly biased.
 
Last edited:
True. It makes sense to get rid of them, I just like the idea of a very particular 'J-edition, S GT etc.' model of car being available in game for it's real life owner.

Well there are a lot of cars but I'd say most of the players don't have their in game vehicle. So while noble and nice does it really matter at the end of the day when the regular model alone will suffice?

And to be fair the RX-7s and Skylines could all be semi-upgraded in one sweep, like a lot of MX-5s have been, because of the pre-existing models for them.

That's not what I was talking about, there is more to upgrades than interiors, you have meshes that need to be fixed as well and reworking of CAD. When you look at the rufs that have been updated you can see that the GT6 one looks a bit bigger than GT5. All that takes time, but it's semantics for you to say it takes no time and now say "it doesn't take that much time".
 
That's not what I was talking about, there is more to upgrades than interiors, you have meshes that need to be fixed as well and reworking of CAD. When you look at the rufs that have been updated you can see that the GT6 one looks a bit bigger than GT5. All that takes time, but it's semantics for you to say it takes no time and now say "it doesn't take that much time".

Sorry about that, I don't really know what I'm talking about :lol:


You're talking to the wrong guy really, I know none of the technicalities of CAD, graphic design etc.
 
snip

I wouldn't say that not having Lada's, any new MGs (please name a new Chinese model of MG that you feel should be added), Skodas, other Czech cars (according to wikipedia there are six Czech manufacturers which are: Aero, Avia, Tatra, Kaipan, Skoda and Praga. Which, other than Skoda, should be added?), Indian cars (Tata? Really?), and Swedish cars other than Volvo (I'll give you that, Koenigsegg should be in the game, maybe Saab but once again, this is a racing game, not many people are crying out for Saabs) make PD particularly biased.

MG hmm ?
MG6
BTCC KX Momentum MG6
MG3 obviously.

Tatra (Historiacally significant)
Marathon de la Route 1966 Tatra came 1-2-3 in class B5 with the Tatra 603
Tatra T77 drag Cd of 0.212 in 1934, Also inspired the VW Beetle also designed by Jaray who designed the "Ugly duckling Audi"

Tata
Yes really same principle as the original Beetle a peoples car.

Saab yet again significant
First to turbocharge an affordable car
First to fit seatbelts as standard
Introduced the first 16v Turbo engine
Plus the numerous races Saab cars have competed in (Afterall it's a racing game:sly:
 
MG hmm ?
MG6
BTCC KX Momentum MG6
MG3 obviously.

Tatra (Historiacally significant)
Marathon de la Route 1966 Tatra came 1-2-3 in class B5 with the Tatra 603
Tatra T77 drag Cd of 0.212 in 1934, Also inspired the VW Beetle also designed by Jaray who designed the "Ugly duckling Audi"

Tata
Yes really same principle as the original Beetle a peoples car.

Saab yet again significant
First to turbocharge an affordable car
First to fit seatbelts as standard
Introduced the first 16v Turbo engine
Plus the numerous races Saab cars have competed in (Afterall it's a racing game:sly:

To be honest neither the MG6 or MG3 are particularly well known cars, I'm not sure that they've ever been requested before. I think I could come up with at least a hundred cars that would be more popular additions to the game. The BTCC one would be cool but not that great unless BTCC was actually added to the game. Tatra, same again, would be cool but really not very well known/popular, really far down on the list of requested cars. Same again for Saab.

I'm not sure that a lack of Czech/Chinese/Indian cars are a big concern for GT makers or gamers to be honest.
 
But it is not the fact of the actual cars themselves it is the fact that cars from the said countries of origin aren't included. I'm also sure that Oulim/Protomotors isn't exactly popular or well known for that matter but guess what its in the game, Funny that.
 
But it is not the fact of the actual cars themselves it is the fact that cars from the said countries of origin aren't included. I'm also sure that Oulim/Protomotors isn't exactly popular or well known for that matter but guess what its in the game, Funny that.

So GT has the Oullim Spirra, so PD need to add more obscure cars that hardly anyone is interested in.

?!?
 
I even had a hard time finding the premium RX7 :lol:

I don't mind having lots of duplicates AS LONG AS they simplified the car selection menu..

I have a great idea for this actually, instead of showing us all of those RX7s, Skylines, Miatas, etc cluttering those dealership, why not just show us only ONE Skyline (for example), then you click on it, inside you can choose the variety ranging from years, type, etc you want. (similar to color selection menu)

Hope they would consider my idea :cheers:
 
Back