DIY Sim Rig, thoughts and advice

• Thread starter TheRealSP
  • 7 comments
Wales
Wales
Hi, just getting in to sim racing and looking to build my own rig. I was just going to buy a cheap frame but for not much more I could just build exactly what I want.

Already have a Logitech 920 which will do the job for now. I've also started looking in to the transducers so have considered this in my build.

I've attached pictures of my plans (I hope it worked).

Just looking for opinions really, my main concern being the rigidity of the whole thing. Think I've put enough braces in to make sure it's sturdy but I'm no engineer! Monitor will go on a bracket attached to the wall so no concerns about screen shake and eventually I'll be getting VR.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sim Rig 2 front.png
    Sim Rig 2 front.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Sim rig 2 side 2.png
    Sim rig 2 side 2.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Sim rig 2 side.png
    Sim rig 2 side.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Sim Rig 2.png
    Sim Rig 2.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 91
Have you thought about where the screen is going? If it's on the wall it's going to be a long way from you. Perhaps consider mounting the screen to the rig as well?

Great mock-up by the way.

Yeah, the screen will be mounted on a swivel arm on the wall parallel to the rig (so not at the wheel end) so will be right behind the wheel as close as possible to my face lol

I've attached some pictures of the room with the monitor, as you can see space is a bit tight!

Attachments

• Room.png
    Room.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Room 2.png
    Room 2.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Room top.png
    Room top.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Love the look of your plans!! Looks very cool... but,

Have you thought about going with something that has already been built and tested?

I (originally) built the Ricmotech RS500 diy to get into sim racing about 2 years ago, and it turned out great and is very sturdy. I have since upgraded to an RSeat RS1... but there was nothing wrong with the RS500 diy setup. Had about $160 in it without the wheel/pedals and seat (that I got from an old Civic we donated away). You order the plans from Ricmotech and cut out the pieces yourself. The plans are like $30. 👍 And I didn't even cut them out, i just traced over them so could use them to make another rig if needed. :)

You can follow through my thread as it's mostly just me posting my results as I go, with pics, and isn't that long of a thread. You can customize the build as much or as little as you want. I put carpet on the base, and painted it and slapped some Red Bull decals on it, cut out from a cricut machine that my wife has... you can search the RS500 on youtube and find several that people have made a lot nicer. As I stated though, it worked great and I just got a deal on the RSeat, only reason I changed.

Yeah, I've looked at a lot of the OSR plans but as you can see I'm very limited on space. Most of the plans look to be quite a bit bigger than what I've designed. I've specifically kept the seat part separate so when not in use it can be pushed forwards right up to the wheel stand. Won't gain much space but every little helps. I also wanted to specifically design and accommodate the transducers.

Also, designing my own I can keep costs down. At the moment I'm looking at around £80 (just shy of $100) all in (including all hardware and paint but minus the seat). I'm also just keen to have a project lol

I'll definitely have a read through your build though.

At least no one has pointed out any glaring issues yet lol

At least no one has pointed out any glaring issues yet lol
Clearly the guitars are the wrong way round. It would be far better to have the electric guitar closest to the doorway for better access like this:
Room - Copy (2).png

:D;)

Back