Do AI drivers ever Make Mistakes?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 26 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I love the racing games I have on my PS5 but none of them feature the AI drivers making mistakes. Well, PC2 sometimes it gets messy at turn one of certain races but that's the only time the AI would ever make a mistake.

Do the AI drivers make mistakes, like, going off on their own or rubbing with another driver that causes both AI'S to go off track?

Haven't played enough of this game to notice it, if it happens.

Oh yeah. Especially in the higher classes. The Carousel at Road America is a mess with AI cars going off there constantly. Bit Kurve and right after the final chicane at Nurburgring GP is the same way.

They do. Not as frequent as Forza Motorsport 6 though - wet race in that game was a carnage!

But, as far as Forza Motorsport 7 is concerned, these AI crashes are rare but they sometimes do happen. It certainly seems like there's something to do with the car-track combination though, as Jezza819 said. Personally I noticed that a lot of cars tend to go wide at the esses in Suzuka.

The photo below is the most spectacular one I've had yet, though - yellow car got connected with white car, and plowed straight into the orange one.

Forza Motorsport 7 2019-11-25 11_22_36 PM.png

Forza Motorsport 7 2019-11-25 11_33_21 PM.png

Last edited:
They do. Not as frequent as Forza Motorsport 6 though - wet race in that game was a carnage!

But, as far as Forza Motorsport 7 is concerned, these AI crashes are rare but they sometimes do happen. It certainly seems like there's something to do with the car-track combination though, as Jezza819 said. Personally I noticed that a lot of cars tend to go wide at the esses in Suzuka.

The photo below is the most spectacular one yet I've had, though - yellow car got connected with white car, and plowed straight into the orange one.

View attachment 997943
View attachment 997941

You're right Suzuka is another one I had forgotten although I see it more at the Dunlop Curve than the Esses. They get too much speed coming out of the esses then go wide at Dunlop. Turn 7 at COTA is another one. They just plow into that barrier and sometimes will be stuck there for multiple laps. I've also seen it with particular cars. That red FE edition NSX is almost guaranteed to be one of the cars in that class going off track somewhere.

I've rarely seen it. If anything, the AI seems more likely to double down on their abilities and look like a race of the greatest F1 icons in the world on some tracks (looking at you, Sebring).

I've rarely seen it. If anything, the AI seems more likely to double down on their abilities and look like a race of the greatest F1 icons in the world on some tracks (looking at you, Sebring).

As I've gotten back into FM7 in the last couple of weeks, I've remembered there are a few tracks that I just cannot run on Pro difficulty on most of the cars I drive. Sebring is one of them. Road America, Laguna Seca, Suzuka, are some of the others. Consequently I seems I can run almost anything on Unbeatable at Long Beach and win and Modern Hot Hatch on Unbeatable almost anywhere and win. Keeping track of all of this in my head gets difficult at times.

As I've gotten back into FM7 in the last couple of weeks, I've remembered there are a few tracks that I just cannot run on Pro difficulty on most of the cars I drive. Sebring is one of them. Road America, Laguna Seca, Suzuka, are some of the others. Consequently I seems I can run almost anything on Unbeatable at Long Beach and win and Modern Hot Hatch on Unbeatable almost anywhere and win. Keeping track of all of this in my head gets difficult at times.
Road America is definitely another.

Both tracks for me, depend on the car & how familiar I am with it of course, but I definitely run into issue at Sebring with the race cars. I don't run driver assists outside ABS, so I end up struggling to come close to the lines/speed the AI can carry throughout that track.

Road America is definitely another.

Both tracks for me, depend on the car & how familiar I am with it of course, but I definitely run into issue at Sebring with the race cars. I don't run driver assists outside ABS, so I end up struggling to come close to the lines/speed the AI can carry throughout that track.

A lot of the problems I have with Sebring seem to come on that final corner, Sunset Bend. The AI can carry so much more speed into it, then out of it, so I have no chance to be close coming out of there going to turn 1. Even if I manage to draft and pass coming down that straight, I still can get hit in the rear because my braking point is so much farther back than the AI cars. I've given up trying to run race cars there.

The race grid isn't all that exciting in my experience. They'll slip up on occasion, but won't fall behind all that easy, and will try to take the same line as one another. That's where most of the incidents will happen, when two cars try to take the same line through a bad corner in a course like Virginia, the Nordschleife, Prague, and the shortest variants of Long Beach & Rio.
But there are ways to make the race more exciting and to avoid the usual conga line the competition form themselves into.

The first method is to intentionally divide the grid. Either by enabling fuel consumption/pitting, or by having the cars start from a standstill one after the other with ten second breaks. They'll still take the same line and you won't see many incidents, but the overall experience is more organic opposed to being the odd one out of an otherwise synergized grid. Its made for the most authentic races in my experience.

The second method is multiclass racing. I do multiclass racing to an absurd level, such as mixing Forza P1 with The Birth of Grand Prix, each scored independently of course. You'll see a lot of odd scenarios in this case, particularly with the former trying and failing to overtake the latter when they're all congested. It can be an unimpressive mess at times, particularly with this game's ai being very meek about overtaking. But I've witnessed moments where the faster class has tried to overtake, only to fail spectacularly. Had a Diablo wrap itself around the front of Solstice on Road America in a very believable fashion.

But no, the FM7 ai are very much glued to their set path, and oblivious to the world around them. Like most ai I've recently experienced outside of Wreckfest. There is certainly a lot of room for improvement with the next Forza Motorsport title.

If anything, the AI seems more likely to double down on their abilities and look like a race of the greatest F1 icons in the world on some tracks (looking at you, Sebring).
Catalunya would like to have a word with you.

Catalunya would like to have a word with you.
Catalunya is an irritating one for me b/c if the top 3 gets a good start or I get caught in traffic, I usually end up a lap short of catching the lead car. I'll make up some time in the first few corners, evens out a bit til' after the straight, then the AI makes a small gain at the back section, and coming on to the straight evens out until after T1 where I start to reel back in. Multiple times I've come out of the final turns just a little too far back to catch the lead car.

Sebring won't even entertain me making up time in some races. Any turns I'm faster than the AI, they can drive on rails through the rest. :dunce:

Catalunya is an irritating one for me b/c if the top 3 gets a good start or I get caught in traffic, I usually end up a lap short of catching the lead car. I'll make up some time in the first few corners, evens out a bit til' after the straight, then the AI makes a small gain at the back section, and coming on to the straight evens out until after T1 where I start to reel back in. Multiple times I've come out of the final turns just a little too far back to catch the lead car.

Sebring won't even entertain me making up time in some races. Any turns I'm faster than the AI, they can drive on rails through the rest. :dunce:
I find Sebring to be the easier one for me, although it was probably being down to the frustrations of the AI that made me go into a craze to beat them. In turn, I learned the track really well lol. How fast you get through the second of the last turn, as well as the last U-turn can really make or break the lap for me - especially considering the AI always favor power.

Thank you guys for replying so quickly. Hopefully, the next generation of racing games will have more unpredictable AI

Is it worth getting Forza Motorsport 6 to experience the AI making mistakes?

Some will say Forza Motorsport 6 is a better game than Forza Motorsport 7 full-stop. I think the line's a little fuzzier as both games do certain things better than the other.

One thing to point out is that if you use Rewinds the AI in both games might get a little funky; I've had times where an AI driver would spin out immediately after a Rewind but it's not a big deal.

Personally the only game where I've actually enjoyed racing against AI was in F1 2020 (they are rather good at holding position and occasionally fighting you), though I prefer human opponents wherever possible as I find AI in most games to be too submissive and predictable.

Some will say Forza Motorsport 6 is a better game than Forza Motorsport 7 full-stop.
I'd like to see a poll (which 7 would probably win I guess). I certainly enjoyed playing FM6 a lot more.

From now on I'm waiting for the even numbered Forzas, lol.

Last edited:
I think at launch Forza 6 was pretty well liked above 7, although I think the devs. carried on supporting the game a few months longer than they planned & iirc, one of the things they implemented was unlocking (almost) all the cars for purchase which really pleased a lot of fans.

Some will say Forza Motorsport 6 is a better game than Forza Motorsport 7 full-stop. I think the line's a little fuzzier as both games do certain things better than the other.

Would agree with this, especially after they put some work into 7. I do think 6 had better AI, though, IIRC I could get a decent race for the most part at most tracks. I did do a heckuva lot more single player in 6. 7 it just seemed like they got lazy with a few things and AI was one of them.

The overall AI to me is the most important thing to be fixed in FM8. Besides them being totally oblivious to where you are on track, their pace is all over the place. They bust out to a 15 second or more lead at some tracks then slow way down. I've caught the #1 AI on the next to last lap and ended up winning by 8 seconds or more, that's how much they slowed towards the end.

There are some track/car combos that aren't even worth racing to me anymore. Prototypes on Le Mans, Unbeatable AI for example. My lap times are about 3 seconds faster than the field. There's no challenge anymore. Same with Leguna Seca and Watkins Glen with most classes. But, then there's other races, such as Sebring, where I can't even keep up against Pro drivers.

The AI is all over the place.

I've had several experiences, one at Top Gear in the wet, esp in prototypes, some overshoot it at T1. And at Spa, two turns after the straight, some go off there, and the next several corners.

I also remember in the Xbox 360-era games (Motorsports 3 and 4), some of the AI opponents would drive recklessly and go off the track, even without messing around with the rewind function.

I've just started the FM6 career and have seen a surprising number of cars going off in the early races in the rally classics and Japanese cars events.

I cant say I noticed as much of that when I recently did the FM7 career though.

Yes pretty often actually, especially like in the higher classes as Jezza stated.

I've ran Spa plenty of times in custom races and have seen far too often the F50 GT non homologated version and the Sesto Elemento in particular crashing quite frequently at one of the last few turns. I mainly notice crashes with the GT1 90s class cars and the hyperclass cars on tracks with tight turns but Spa sticks in particular due to how frequent they crash. This also occurs on Hardcore/the hardest difficulty too if that makes a difference.

Yes pretty often actually, especially like in the higher classes as Jezza stated.

I've ran Spa plenty of times in custom races and have seen far too often the F50 GT non homologated version and the Sesto Elemento in particular crashing quite frequently at one of the last few turns. I mainly notice crashes with the GT1 90s class cars and the hyperclass cars on tracks with tight turns but Spa sticks in particular due to how frequent they crash. This also occurs on Hardcore/the hardest difficulty too if that makes a difference.

Most of the time at Spa it's coming out of Stavelot. They will run wide to the left then it's like they hit a glue trap and any cars still on track following behind will check up suddenly. If I'm behind any AI there I try and stick to the right side of the track to try and go around the jam. Those AI cars have incredible brakes on them. Going 80mph they can come to a complete stop in a car length or so.

Most of the time at Spa it's coming out of Stavelot. They will run wide to the left then it's like they hit a glue trap and any cars still on track following behind will check up suddenly. If I'm behind any AI there I try and stick to the right side of the track to try and go around the jam. Those AI cars have incredible brakes on them. Going 80mph they can come to a complete stop in a car length or so.
I had to look the area but yeah that's the exact spot where they tend to crash at.

Did a 25 minute Bathurst "24H" 5am Start. 48x, AI 85/88.

Edit: Just then. Plus, a sweet two-car pass at the final corner, at the end of the race. :)

Last edited:
Yes they do, remembering a recent wet Suzuka race where a Vuhl spent more time in the gravel traps than on the track, i ended up lapping it 😁

Back