Do AI drivers Make Mistakes?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 13 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I've been going back and forth between AC and ACC on my PS5 but I haven't done enough racing nor have I done long enough race to know if the AI makes mistakes.

For any of you who have raced extensively on both of these games, can you tell me if the AI makes mistakes? I'm not referring to the normal mistakes at turn one but human like mistakes later in the race.

Thank you

I play on PS5 too and you do see them make mistakes. There are areas where AI errors are more common, the left-right chicane before the F1 pit straight at Silverstone for example, and their frequency or liklihood is based on your aggression preset it seems.

On PC there has been an update which makes AI more prone to errors but I think that comes with the British GT Pack update. I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
I’ve seen errors since the 1.6 update, more so in the latest 1.7.5 PC update. There are certain corners as Paul has said, but there’s also way more scope for errors in the British GT multi class racing. I’ve seen quite a few already. It’s not always pretty looking and they still give each other too much room sometimes, but it is improving a lot.

Never seen an ai driver miss a breaking point, but they do crash into each other.

I've been going back and forth between AC and ACC on my PS5 but I haven't done enough racing nor have I done long enough race to know if the AI makes mistakes.

For any of you who have raced extensively on both of these games, can you tell me if the AI makes mistakes? I'm not referring to the normal mistakes at turn one but human like mistakes later in the race.

Thank you
ACC on PC they absolutely do, vanilla AC, I don't recall them being anything but appalling and it took mods to improve them enough to make racing against them enjoyable (and for them to make mistakes).

I'm playing ACC on a Series X and I've seen a few times where the AI will go off in a turn late in the race. It's not that common, and rare enough that it takes me by surprise when it does, but it happens.

Last edited:
Maybe a "mistake" in that they don't overtake when side by side. I give the AI room, but they don't take the position. I'd have to really back off the throttle, for the AI to make an aggressive overtake.

My AI settings are high. So, I rarely move up more than one position each race.

Maybe a "mistake" in that they don't overtake when side by side. I give the AI room, but they don't take the position. I'd have to really back off the throttle, for the AI to make an aggressive overtake.

My AI settings are high. So, I rarely move up more than one position each race.
Spacedust, you are an alien on GTS. I know you have racked up up a lot of wins so I can't believe you don't move up the field.

The fact that they don't make mistakes is disappointing to me. I absolutely love this game, having resurrected it since I now have a PS5 and it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

I really want a game where the AI makes mistakes during the race. PC2 didn't have that and now ACC. Frustrating.

PC3 has that but I don't enjoy that game.

Spacedust, you are an alien on GTS. I know you have racked up up a lot of wins so I can't believe you don't move up the field.

The fact that they don't make mistakes is disappointing to me. I absolutely love this game, having resurrected it since I now have a PS5 and it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore.

I really want a game where the AI makes mistakes during the race. PC2 didn't have that and now ACC. Frustrating.

They crash into walls all the time round Bathurst. But that's probably more the fact that the AI struggles to navigate this particular track over others. They also tend to have crashes going through the right hand kink after the back straight. They will crash into you here too if you're not careful.

I've seen them outbreak themselves occasionally too.

On the plus side I like the way they are not immovable objects like in pCARS, for example. If you hit them they'll move or spin or crash at least in ACC.

One of my favourite things with the AI in this game is knowing that if you drive intelligently and take the racing line the AI will have to back off or give the position up as physics dictates that they can't just magically stick to the line set for them. This behaviour is quite different to other racing games I've played where you get barged by the AI if you're in their pre-programmed line.

It's not perfect and I'm looking forward to getting the new AI update that PC players got recently.

They crash into walls all the time round Bathurst. But that's probably more the fact that the AI struggles to navigate this particular track over others. They also tend to have crashes going through the right hand kink after the back straight. They will crash into you here too if you're not careful.

I've seen them outbreak themselves occasionally too.

On the plus side I like the way they are not immovable objects like in pCARS, for example. If you hit them they'll move or spin or crash at least in ACC.

One of my favourite things with the AI in this game is knowing that if you drive intelligently and take the racing line the AI will have to back off or give the position up as physics dictates that they can't just magically stick to the line set for them. This behaviour is quite different to other racing games I've played where you get barged by the AI if you're in their pre-programmed line.

It's not perfect and I'm looking forward to getting the new AI update that PC players got recently.
This is terrific to hear. I guess its better than nothing.

Thanks

I'm nowhere near an alien. :lol: Those players are fast.

I'll see about posting a video from yesterday. I was racing GT3 and two AI are entering a corner. One up the inside and they had a coming together.
Edit:

I know I made a mistake in a next race at Zolder. Accidentally twitched my controller and sent the P1 AI into the wall and took out another AI car. :embarrassed::nervous:

Last edited:
First of Two 30 minute British GT races. Was 2nd in GT4 before pit stop. Came out 3rd. Leader(in a 570S) pitted next lap and exited pits between Me(Vantage) and the lead M4. Trying to close the gap to the M4, but not making much progress with time running out.

First of Two 30 minute British GT races. Was 2nd in GT4 before pit stop. Came out 3rd. Leader(in a 570S) pitted next lap and exited pits between Me(Vantage) and the lead M4. Trying to close the gap to the M4, but not making much progress with time running out.

Yep, I have seen that a few times. Actually done it myself a few times too. I am about 50/50 on avoiding the car coming back across the track.

In AC1 I have seen AI make plenty of mistakes. In AC's Content Manager you can set a bracket range of skill and aggressive and the game will randomly pick individual stat for each AI. For me I usually set the skill range of 90-100 and aggressive 50-100.

I will often see very aggressive AIs desperately try to overtake weaker AIs and on rarer case see AIs three wide on a straightaway.

of course this is just for modded AC1 and I would absolutely cut off my pinky toe to see this custom bracket range for ACC.

Back