Do I need to tune?

• Thread starter dolande
  • 39 comments
Getting ready to buy a ps4, t300 and pcars. My background is only the GT series. I really like to drive stock cars since that way the different driving experience between cars is greater; using some of the tunes by the tuning gurus makes most of the cars to drive very similar. Faster but similar driving. I'm no tuner at all. I really don't find a lot of pleasure by tuning a car for hours. The big question is: is tuning a must for an average driver to get some fun a make progress in pcars?

i hate tuning, but if you want to stay with the rest, you have to do it a little,.... if you want to be the fastest youll have to invest in it, or check out tunes that you find online.....

just buy it,.. best game this year, best racing game for me ever!!

You don't need to tune to be fast enough to compete since you can adjust the AI difficulty to suit (although this can vary depending on car/track combo.

Most of the cars are race cars, so the stock set up is a little arbitrary really as it doesn't represent anything other than a starting point.

If nothing else, it will be beneficial to learn how to adjust tyre pressure, sway bars, brake balance, diff and final gear - where allowed. Not too difficult to grasp and a big help as you go from track to track.

Getting ready to buy a ps4, t300 and pcars. My background is only the GT series. I really like to drive stock cars since that way the different driving experience between cars is greater; using some of the tunes by the tuning gurus makes most of the cars to drive very similar. Faster but similar driving. I'm no tuner at all. I really don't find a lot of pleasure by tuning a car for hours. The big question is: is tuning a must for an average driver to get some fun a make progress in pcars?

Do not buy it. I, like many others, have gone back to GT6.

The bugs, glitches and AI will drive you mad. And I wont even mention how hard it will be to get a handle on setting your wheel up.

This game is at least 6-12 months and many patches away from even being half reasonable.

Since the difficulty and race distance is adjustable by a slider in Pcars, there's no requirement to do well in career mode. However, setting up your car is nothing like GT6, as you won't be able to make every car handle pretty much the same like in GT6. It works much like in real life, where setting the car up is more to adjust it to suit your preferences better. Every car has it's own unique characteristics, and you can't "tune" them out and make them all the same like you can in GT.

I'd also advise you to at least try the game before taking TT92's advice. He's massively exaggerating the game's issues. Most of the bugs that were in the game at release are gone, and the rest are being squashed at a decent rate. The AI can be mental, but they too are slowly getting better. They're a lot better now than they were at release. As far as setting up your wheel, it's not hard to find info on what all the ffb options do. It took me about 10 mins to find that on the official forum, and I set my wheel up myself easily. You'd have to be fairly dim to not be able to find even a basic set up someone else has done for the T300.

Thank you guys for your replies.
@TT92, yes I'm aware of most of the issues but there seen to be the lucky ones that have experience bugs maybe one or two two times. I hardly play gt6 anymore and really looking for something new.

Thank you guys for your replies.
@TT92, yes I'm aware of most of the issues but there seen to be the lucky ones that have experience bugs maybe one or two two times. I hardly play gt6 anymore and really looking for something new.

Drive Club is now a free download for PS+ members on PS4. Very arcade like but it is new and different ;-)

Also be aware *if* you buy PCARS, unlike GT5/6, all the DLC will cost you. So basically the bugs and glitches are free but you have to keep paying for more content.

I'd also advise you to at least try the game before taking TT92's advice. He's massively exaggerating the game's issues. Most of the bugs that were in the game at release are gone, and the rest are being squashed at a decent rate.

I am not exaggerating and the game breaking bugs are still there from launch.

You absolutely are exaggerating, but that's nothing new when it comes to you and Pcars so I don't really care mate. OP only asked if it was necessary to learn to tune the cars in this game to enjoy it, not "please tell me for the one millionth time how much you think the bugs in the game are game breakers".

The DLC costs bugger all in Pcars, and in four months they have already released more DLC content than GT6 managed in close to 2 years. You seriously need to get over your massive problem with Pcars. How many times have you said you're done with the game, and not posting here anymore. Yet here you are still trying to stop people from making up their own minds. If GT6 is so awesome, take your broken record and go bloody play it. :rolleyes:

You absolutely are exaggerating, but that's nothing new when it comes to you and Pcars so I don't really care mate. OP only asked if it was necessary to learn to tune the cars in this game to enjoy it, not "please tell me for the one millionth time how much you think the bugs in the game are game breakers".

The DLC costs bugger all in Pcars, and in four months they have already released more DLC content than GT6 managed in close to 2 years. You seriously need to get over your massive problem with Pcars. How many times have you said you're done with the game, and not posting here anymore. Yet here you are still trying to stop people from making up their own minds. If GT6 is so awesome, take your broken record and go bloody play it. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have gone back to GT6 because that is where my friends are and the good online racing is. *NONE* of my dozen or so friends that have this game play it anymore because of the issues.

For the record, I did say I am finished with the game (until it is sorted) but I said I would keep tabs on this forum and post a lot less, not stop. Someone who is about to spend a lot of money has asked for advice and I have given mine as I see it.

Also for the record, I have my platinum trophy, I have won every race and every championship in this game and know a lot more about this game than you! But why would you listen to the voice of reason and experience eh?

Not really. I've got many WR times by just adjusting downforce and gearing. A good driver with a stock tune will be faster than an average driver with a good tune.

Yes, I have gone back to GT6 because that is where my friends are and the good online racing is. *NONE* of my dozen or so friends that have this game play it anymore because of the issues.

For the record, I did say I am finished with the game (until it is sorted) but I said I would keep tabs on this forum and post a lot less, not stop. Someone who is about to spend a lot of money has asked for advice and I have given mine as I see it.

Also for the record, I have my platinum trophy, I have won every race and every championship in this game and know a lot more about this game than you! But why would you listen to the voice of reason and experience eh?
GT6 is better? Really? Well its good to see your back on PCars forum,anyway,buy the game,its 1000 times better than GT6

So you do the career races on easy difficulty and low distance and think that makes you the almighty authority on the game? You have absolutely no idea how much I've played the game mate, or anyone else for that matter, so how you can presume to know more about it than anybody else is beyond me.

You aren't the voice of reason, you're the constant never ending broken record of the GTP Pcars forum lol. :lol:

So you do the career races on easy difficulty and low distance and think that makes you the almighty authority on the game? You have absolutely no idea how much I've played the game mate, or anyone else for that matter, so how you can presume to know more about it than anybody else is beyond me.

You aren't the voice of reason, you're the constant never ending broken record of the GTP Pcars forum lol. :lol:

Have you finished the game? I bet not. Have you done all the races in all the championships? Most unlikely. I therefore claim to know a hell of lot more about how this buggy game runs than you do. I also never claimed to know more than everyone else, just you.

By your very same reasoning you do a couple of full length races and you think you are the expert and get to criticise other people's experiences because they do not play the game the way you do. How much more do you want to discuss your flawed logic and inadequate reasoning?

GT6 is better? Really? Well its good to see your back on PCars forum,anyway,buy the game,its 1000 times better than GT6

GT6 online is a lot better than PCARS online by several magnitudes.

I would not be as bold as to claim anything is 1,000 times better but I do get your point :-) GT6 career and AI is quite a bit to be desired I will agree. PCARS AIs are just nasty when you wind them up over 80% but do behave like a lot of online rooms I've been in ;-)

PCARS graphics is very good (obviously) because it is a next gen console.

The real no brainer is the online functionality of GT6 and PCARS just does not cut it at all (sadly).

I can't see anywhere in the OP that ask if he should buy the game or not. It seems he has already made up his mind. Nowhere in the OP does it ask about the online aspects of pCARS either. Nowhere in the OP does it ask for a comparison between pCARS and GT6. Nowhere in the OP does it ask about the AI.
So when Mike says:

A sane, rational person could only agree with him.

I was wondering when you would be along

I can't see anywhere in the OP that ask if he should buy the game or not. It seems he has already made up his mind..

So now is the time to change it for him *before* he makes a mistake. Don't forget we talking not only the game but about US$800 of hardware too.

I am not bothering to reply to your other comments at all. There is just no point. I am fully aware your powers of comprehension are severely limited and your blinkered approach to this game precludes sensible discussion.

GT6 online is a lot better than PCARS online by several magnitudes.

I would not be as bold as to claim anything is 1,000 times better but I do get your point :-) GT6 career and AI is quite a bit to be desired I will agree. PCARS AIs are just nasty when you wind them up over 80% but do behave like a lot of online rooms I've been in ;-)

PCARS graphics is very good (obviously) because it is a next gen console.

The real no brainer is the online functionality of GT6 and PCARS just does not cut it at all (sadly).
Well you say you have a dozen friends that own PCars,correct? Why would you not just start your own online lobby with your "friends"? GT AI,ha,ha that's funny,they actually have AI? GT online,please enlighten me how its so much better? What more drift and drag rooms? I have enough friends in both games to play in private lobbies. So online isn't an issue.

Well you say you have a dozen friends that own PCars,correct? Why would you not just start your own online lobby with your "friends"? GT AI,ha,ha that's funny,they actually have AI? GT online,please enlighten me how its so much better? What more drift and drag rooms? I have enough friends in both games to play in private lobbies. So online isn't an issue.

Dont feed the trolls he has said a 1000 times that he doesn't play Pcars on line. It is just alot of hot air

Have you finished the game? I bet not. Have you done all the races in all the championships? Most unlikely. I therefore claim to know a hell of lot more about how this buggy game runs than you do. I also never claimed to know more than everyone else, just you.

By your very same reasoning you do a couple of full length races and you think you are the expert and get to criticise other people's experiences because they do not play the game the way you do. How much more do you want to discuss your flawed logic and inadequate reasoning?

I've played a lot more than a couple of races cobber, and I don't believe a sandbox type sim like this can be "finished". Wow you got some trophies? good on you! Some of us hold no value in trophies, so we don't hunt for them, we just enjoy playing the game. If I wanted to get all the trophies I could have easily by now, just do the same thing you did and put it on easy AI and short length races. I prefer to do 100% distance with a hard AI, so that the game is a challenge, and enjoyable. If I wanted to do a bunch of easy 3 lap races I'd come join you on GT6. :lol:

I am not bothering to reply to your other comments at all. There is just no point. I am fully aware your powers of comprehension are severely limited and your blinkered approach to this game precludes sensible discussion.

Oh the irony in that post is outstanding, well done!

Well you say you have a dozen friends that own PCars,correct?

I don't believe him when he says he has a dozen friends, just sounds unrealistic.

This is my last post in this thread because when the fanboys get involved it just becomes a pointless exercise.

Read my thread "The Good, the Bad and the Bugly" where I put up a video that proves I have the problems I say I have.

The fanboys here criticise me for legitimately playing the game with some of the options available. So I run through the game to get a good feel for it and find all these bugs and crashes and I get abused for it. And then when I state the game has major faults the fanboys attack again.

I have tried to offer some legitimate advice based on my (and others) experiences and even say wait awhile for more patches and I still get criticised. No point in continuing really.

Bye for now.

This is my last post in this thread because when the fanboys get involved it just becomes a pointless exercise.
If you had even read half of my posts in the Pcars forum you'd know I'm no "fanboy".

Read my thread "The Good, the Bad and the Bugly" where I put up a video that proves I have the problems I say I have.

Nobody claimed you didn't have any problems with the game, so I'm not sure what the point of that sentence is...

The fanboys here criticise me for legitimately playing the game with some of the options available. So I run through the game to get a good feel for it and find all these bugs and crashes and I get abused for it. And then when I state the game has major faults the fanboys attack again.

Nobody criticised or abused you, you were claiming to know more about the game based on the sole fact that you have more trophies, to which I replied that I would have all the trophies too if I played the game the same way you did in order to get them, but I wouldn't find that enjoyable at all. If you feel that is abusive then you must be very fragile and I apologise. I have also stated on a number of occasions that the game has major faults, and I don't remember being attacked for it, so I think you're exaggerating, but that seems to be the theme of your posts.

I have tried to offer some legitimate advice based on my (and others) experiences and even say wait awhile for more patches and I still get criticised. No point in continuing really.

Advice that wasn't requested, and was nowhere near the topic of this thread.

Here's the question in the OP:

The big question is: is tuning a must for an average driver to get some fun a make progress in pcars?

...and here's your response:

Do not buy it. I, like many others, have gone back to GT6.

The bugs, glitches and AI will drive you mad. And I wont even mention how hard it will be to get a handle on setting your wheel up.

This game is at least 6-12 months and many patches away from even being half reasonable.

So you answered a question nobody here asked, and then went on your usual rant about how broken the game is and how you're going back to GT6, and then you even ended just now by saying you're not posting again. Every single time it's the same pattern lol.

This is my last post in this thread...

Bye for now.

Hope springs eternal...

No you don't need to tune to have fun and progress with the game. On the other hand, all the cars feel different no matter how much you tune. You cannot get an Ariel Atom to drive like a GT3 car no matter how much tuning you do. Even within the various classes, like GT3, you can still feel subtle differences between the cars even though they are near identical spec wise. You can certainly play the game from start to finish without tuning, but learning a few basic fundamentals, especially in the tire pressures, LSD and aero will add to your enjoyment IMO.
Good luck with the game, I think you'll enjoy it and Assetto Corsa is on the way as well.

Drive Club is now a free download for PS+ members on PS4. Very arcade like but it is new and different ;-)

Also be aware *if* you buy PCARS, unlike GT5/6, all the DLC will cost you. So basically the bugs and glitches are free but you have to keep paying for more content.
This is a blatant lie by someone who should know better.

Yes you most definitely are, because you talk about the bugs and glitches as if they are universal and everyone is experiencing and never qualify your statements as being, "your experience", which is what they are. Many others have posted in the forum and in News items, that they have had very few issues with the game, on console or pc. You are blinded by your own negative experience. It's quite amusing as well that in spite of your supposedly negative experience, you managed to finish the game from beginning to end so I suppose it can't be all that bad eh?

I would say you can still win on 100% difficulty with the standard tune for most classes. But it does require you to learn the track, we all know the order of th corners but you keep lapping until you you have mastered each corner. However, learning to tune is more straight forward than you may think. read the explanation that the game gives you for each aspect of tuning, make small adjustments to one item at a time and keep experimenting and your lap times will go down.

Last edited:
I have Project Cars and for some reason I don't seem to be as much affected by bugs and glitches compared to some other people. Don't know what the reason is, but it is a fact.
I did encounter some, but e.g. I never even hand a "landmine"... never...

Another fact is that GT5 was way better than GT6 and I would never even think of getting a go at GT6 again. Physics are really bad compared to PCars, not even speaking about the graphics, wich I find also very important. FFB in PCars (for T500RS and my actual Fanatec Clubsport) is on another level too.
Switched to PC now (mainly for triple screens) and everything is even better than the console version. (Edit: this based on a short try I had with my new PC in the shop where it is constructed right now)

About tuning. Most cars in stock setup are pretty nice to drive. Tuning makes them easier in some cases, faster in other, sometimes easier and faster.
It is not easy to tune a car, compared to GT6 that is, but you can find a lot of tutorials (written and movies on youtube e.g.).

Last edited:
Back