Do you think GT7 is a better game than GT5/6?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 163 comments
I know GT5/6 has a lot more cars and a few more tracks, do you think overall though GT7 is a better game? I have never played GT6, only GT5 and I do think GT7 is superior in SOME ways, such as graphics and physics, however i think the way the game presents it's single player component, is a big step backwards. You could argue that they wanted to innovate and move away from the traditional GT League, I don't think it has quite beaten it.

Overall, I think GT7 is a better game with superior graphics, sound and physics, though I do think the older games were better in the single player department. I can't comment online as I don't tend to play multiplayer in any game really if it can be avoided.

I played GT5/6 recently , boy the loading times are so annoying and framerate with ps3 not so smooth

GT7 tech is ten times ahead compared to those ps3 GTs , content wise ehh not so much , driving is great just it needs more events

GT5 has better career but the GT6 has alot of content - tracks , cars

i would totally took the GT6 tracks and import them into GT7 , it would be amazing :P

Last edited:
I think 7 is leagues ahead of 5 and 6, 5 is closer but I still hold the belief 6 is the worst GT game out there.

It falters compared to what 2-4 offered though, and I would say is ranked around where 3 is.

My ranking for what it's worth is
4 > 2 > 7 > 3 > 5 > PSP > 1 > 6

6 is a better game. More content and more variety amongst its content. Even the stars career mode was better structured than 7's globetrotting career.

Only things 7 does better is sound and driving physics. I actually think the crash physics are worse in 7 though. Since in 6 you don't bounce off the wall like a rubber ball.

Last edited:
GT5 was a more complete game, but the leaps in computing power since 2010 make GT7 far more immersive. In this light it’s hard to say which is better. GT6 was a total disappointment if you ask me.

I think 7 is leagues ahead of 5 and 6, 5 is closer but I still hold the belief 6 is the worst GT game out there.

It falters compared to what 2-4 offered though, and I would say is ranked around where 3 is.

My ranking for what it's worth is
4 > 2 > 7 > 3 > 5 > PSP > 1 > 6
I agree. GT6 was a joke. And GT5 was just slightly better. GT7 for me is a very weird game, it kinda feels like a big beta:

It takes ideas from past GT games and reworked them with mixed results, but at the same time the game looks incomplete: career mode is small and very restrictive, online mode is meh, the lack of constant rotation of the used/legendary car dealerships is weird, not being able to sell cars is weird, dropped many of the "premium cars" and tracks from the GT5/GT6 era, list goes on.

Like I said on another thread, I firmly believe PD does not want or care to make a good game anymore, because it is 10000% possible for them to do so.

Last edited:
Yes in every thing except the events and the car list.

Most of the GT5/GT6 car list was filler for the most part as a vast majority of it were "Standard" cars, but the "Semi-Standard" and "Premium" cars could have had interiors added and/or simply tweaked abit and carried over to GT7. I will give PD the benefit of doubt as it's simply unrealistic to think they could create 800+ hyper detailed models in just a few years but they have no excuse for the lack of high paying events and events for car classes that are useless such as F1, Super Formula, Gr.2 .etc

I loved 6. 5 was a game I really tried to like, because the wait was soooo long on ps3. I think 7 is absolutely fantastic and love it so far.

Nothing beats 2 though, but that might also be because of my age then and the fact it was only the second time we’ve seen a GT game.

Very difficult to answer.
GT7 and the PS3 GTs, all have obvious pros and cons, we all know them, and of course the best would be a combination of the best of both worlds. Graphics, physics and sounds from GT7 but with all the content of GT5/6.
GT7 problem is simple and relates to the issue PD have... they are SLOOOOOOW at creating content.

Last edited:
On a technical level GT7 is the best to date, as a single player experience with the career mode etc. all factored in, I’d rank them as GT4, GT3, GT2, GT7, GT6, GT5, GT1.

GT3 had the best career by itself IMO, but lacked the sheer volume of other titles. GT5 pops behind GT6 due to the stupid driver level system and UCD rotation.

GT1 was groundbreaking for its time, but lacks content compared to other titles.

Launch GT7 << GT5 and GT6

Current GT7 >> GT5 and GT6

Don't care about car quantity, otherwise GT3 would be the worst. And as stated, GT5 and GT6's car lists were mostly filled with filler cars. GT7 at least has all of them with the propper attention to detail they deserve.

GT7 was, and still is, the most disappointing Gran Turismo to date though. But objectively speaking, its better than GT5 and GT6.

All of this taking into consideration the time all of the games were released on. GT1 now is clearly a dated game, but for the time, it was a masterpiece and a revolution in racing games, the first of its kind. GT2 was a massive improvement over it though.
Same with GT3 and GT4 which worked out in the same way GT1 and GT2 did.

GT7 is still massively lacking on car varitation events. And the way they are laid out is for me the worst to date. Choosing to display the events at the TRACKS instead of the EVENTS themselves like even GT Sport did, was a terribly foolish decision. It's hard to not get a bit annoyed at this. And the game doesn't feel at all like it has a career... Just races all over the place, the License Tests don't even mean crap anymore for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Tough question. GT5/6 were the games that stopped me buying Playstations for a generation.

GT7 is technically significantly superior, even when taking into account when the games were released. GT5/6 had a lot of issues.

At the same time, they tried to do a lot of pretty fancy stuff and when it worked it worked. Standard cars were BS, but having 1000+ cars did have it's upsides. The track creators on both games were janky AF, but they were still a nifty thing that got a lot of play. Weather and time cycles were rare in that era. Online was still pretty new to console racing games. And the sheer volume of content went a long way.

I will moan about GT5 and 6 being **** all day, but it's largely because the range in the games were so large. They contained both exceptional experiences that you couldn't find anywhere else and the worst gameplay of any modern sim, all in the same game. There were good times had, but some of the good times were moaning with friends just how broken the games were. I'm not sure I want to go back and play either of them, but they're interesting to remember.

But I don't really feel any drive to play GT7 either. If I'm gonna bother to boot up a racing game, it's not GT7. I feel like there's little point in ranking a bunch of games when you don't want to actually play any of them. If I have a gun to my head I probably try GT5 first, then GT7, and you can just shoot me before I play GT6.

Ultimately, these are three games that all lack a major component that stops them from ever being truly exceptional, or even being particularly good. GT5/6 have technical issues that are far to serious to ever allow them to be called great games. And the gameplay in GT7 is so vanilla and uninspired that even though the game runs and looks lovely it's hard to call it an amazing experience.

The reality is that we all expect a game that feels as good or better than GT4 felt when we bought it in 2005. That shouldn't be a big ask with nearly 20 years more experience making games, and endless new technology to wow us with, but it seems like few people actually got that feeling out of any post-GT4 game.

The track creators on both games were janky AF, but they were still a nifty thing that got a lot of play.
GT5 track creator was a bit garbage and very limited.
But GT6 track creator?? AWESOME and I so wish we got that again in GT7...

GT7 has the obvious technical and graphical improvements that naturally come with a new generation, and they keep pushing the visuals along, huge focus on photo modes.

But as a game? It has barely improved or innovated over GT5 & 6. GT7 launched with the new features of "Music Rally and Music Replay". That was it. That was all they had for new features, one of which isn't new and one which still remains bizarre. Online Sport Mode remained 99% the same as GTS, which in turn was just GT6 quick races with a terrible penalty system.

As for what was already there in terms of single player the race format is the same catch up rubbish 95% of the time, the AI are essentially the same rubbish, the overall format somehow got even worse, the license tests are the same and not even fully utilised. GT5 had the asinine level system but at least behind it, it still had the traditional GT mode. GT6 went with the Bad Piggies 3 star system but again, still had the core experience. Then GT7 they decided to go with the empty cafe mode and drip feeding of events. So, six of one, half a dozen of the other in that regards. No clear improvement or innovation.

GT7 could be the greatest console racing game ever to exist. It should be the greatest console racing game to ever exist based on their experience and financial support. But there are so many major issues which prevent that, issues that don't look ever to be fixed with the same people in charge.

GT5 was a more complete game, but the leaps in computing power since 2010 make GT7 far more immersive. In this light it’s hard to say which is better. GT6 was a total disappointment if you ask me.
I wouldn't call GT5 a complete game when 30% of the cars were non-premium which stuck out like a sore thumb next to a premium car on the same track. It looked ridiculous, I honestly don't know how they got away with it. It was delayed over and over and then we got some slapped and patched together frankenstein.

I wouldn't call GT5 a complete game when 30% of the cars were non-premium which stuck out like a sore thumb next to a premium car on the same track. It looked ridiculous, I honestly don't know how they got away with it. It was delayed over and over and then we got some slapped and patched together frankenstein.
I meant complete in terms of features. Cars are only content.

I meant complete in terms of features. Cars are only content.
Main problem for me with GT5 is that half of the game is blatantly missing, B-Spec being 50% of the career is complete padding. I respect they put a lot of effort into making the online of that game good, but the singleplayer aspect certainly suffered as a result, especially now the servers are down.

GT7 suffers in a very similar way but the bones of 7 being so good keeps it afloat for me.

Graphics aside.

I think that 5 beats 6, and 6 beats 7. 4 wipes the floor with them all.

The whole franchise has been on a steady decline since the HD era. 7 retains its crown as the biggest let down in gaming for me, and it's no secret that it has completely soured my opinion on PD and GT as a whole.

I won't bother to find out for myself how good 8 is.

GT5 track creator was a bit garbage and very limited.
But GT6 track creator?? AWESOME and I so wish we got that again in GT7...
The GT6 track creator was awesome compared the the GT5 one, but the GT5 one was laughably awful for actually creating. The GT6 track creator wasn't not really awesome compared to what it could have been as a creation tool. It needed to be run on a phone or emulated on PC for starters - it's ridiculous that it wasn't running on the PS3, and if you're going to have it on separate hardware a tiny phone screen with touch controls is a terrible choice.

When you look at how simple and intuitive games like ModNation Racers and Trackmania were making track creation, it wasn't really that good. However, those are about the only two other games worth a mention, so even with not being great GT6 was still third best. Niche market and all that, even since 2014 there have only been a handful of other games that have tried it.

But if they were to bring back the track creator there's a whole laundry list of things to improve, and there's a real argument for them scrapping the whole thing and starting from scratch because the way they went about it was so arse backwards. If they just ported the GT6 creator to GT7 with improved graphics that would be completely ridiculous, because it was ultimately a bad tool that just happened to be (mostly) better than no tool at all.

The whole franchise has been on a steady decline since the HD era.
I don't think it's been on a decline per se, it just hasn't moved forward in enough areas that aren't visual.

If you hypothetically gave GT4 the physics and graphics of GT7, added the same online modes, same number of cars, people would struggle to tell them apart in many areas. Well, except maybe wondering why GT7 has a weird cafe mode instead of a big career..

Last edited:
The GT6 track creator was awesome compared the the GT5 one, but the GT5 one was laughably awful for actually creating. The GT6 track creator wasn't not really awesome compared to what it could have been as a creation tool. It needed to be run on a phone or emulated on PC for starters - it's ridiculous that it wasn't running on the PS3, and if you're going to have it on separate hardware a tiny phone screen with touch controls is a terrible choice.

When you look at how simple and intuitive games like ModNation Racers and Trackmania were making track creation, it wasn't really that good. However, those are about the only two other games worth a mention, so even with not being great GT6 was still third best. Niche market and all that, even since 2014 there have only been a handful of other games that have tried it.

But if they were to bring back the track creator there's a whole laundry list of things to improve, and there's a real argument for them scrapping the whole thing and starting from scratch because the way they went about it was so arse backwards. If they just ported the GT6 creator to GT7 with improved graphics that would be completely ridiculous, because it was ultimately a bad tool that just happened to be (mostly) better than no tool at all.
Disagree, it was not perfect but still great. You installed on a tablet and it worked really well. I can't imagine using that on the PS3 and using controller.
Modnation racers, trackmania? Those were much simpler arcade games. This comparison makes no sense

Disagree, it was not perfect but still great. You installed on a tablet and it worked really well. I can't imagine using that on the PS3 and using controller.
Modnation racers, trackmania? Those were much simpler arcade games. This comparison makes no sense
I miss the track editor on GT6 and people re created Australian circuits I loved it. I still enjoy going back to Gran Turismo 6 too, GT5 is a good game too but I personally prefer GT6 and wish those tracks would come over to GT7 please Kaz 😭

Oh! And GT6 had the log in reward and would go upto 200% imagine if GT7 had that, log in consecutive days and 😃 200% credit boost yes please. I would just log in quickly to GT6 to keep it for when I was racing. I don’t think it will come back for GT7 but I hope it will and B Spec too that’s in GT5 and GT6 😃 I miss B Spec 🤭 😞

Right, because you'd design a proper interface that worked with a controller. You know, the one device that you can absolutely guarantee that everyone playing the game has, that works on the one piece of hardware that you can also absolutely guarantee that everyone playing the game has.

I didn't have a tablet. What was I supposed to do? Go out and drop a few hundred bucks to use this one feature of the game that I already paid money for? I didn't see Polyphony mailing out tablets to go with the update. Or is the answer just "too bad, try not being poor"?
Way to miss the point. The physics are irrelevant to the process of making a track. You could absolutely make a track in TM2: Valley that wouldn't look of place in GT6 and would drive fine - just don't put jumps and loops and boosters in it. Although if I remember people loved putting jumps and wacky hills in the GT6 track creator too, so maybe do it anyway.

P.S. If you're actually a racing fan as your name would suggest, you might want to try Trackmania at some point. It's significantly less simple to be quick than you seem to think. It's absolutely arcade in that it's not based on real physics, but it has a large number of complex mechanics to learn and requires a high level of skill to execute well. Not unlike sims, really.

Back