Do you think that the PS Plus price increase will cause a large and noticeable decrease in players in daily races?

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 42 comments

Do you think the PS Plus price increase will cause a large, noticeable decrease of players in dailie

• Yes, large and noticeable

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Large decrease but not noticeable

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Neither a large or noticeable decrease

Votes: 53 56.4%
  • I don't know/results

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well my sub runs out next month i didn't know it was going up again tbh the ps5 is collecting dust i never had any interest in Sony's first party games apart from the GT series and that lost me :grumpy: Everything else I can happily play on pc so this might be the first time in 15 years it runs out and don't care to renew it right away.

I'm used to subscriptions going up a few % each year but 20% (uk) is a bit of a piss take.
That's a good point - and one that shows the stupidity of the rage now. Starting with the basic subscription costing 60€ (or whatever currency, the point stands) over a five year span, and then the next year. Rounded to the nearest even number as they probably would have. With a 3% increase every year the development would have been like this.

60€
62€
64€
66€
68€
70€

For a total of 390€. And that's only over five years with a very modest increase, with a 5% yearly increase the total would be another 19€ higher. It would only get worse from here, with 5% (which still wouldn't be a lot as a percentage) the figure for 2024 being 80€ - ie. matching the current increase, and still going up. If we started the calculations only a couple of years earlier the hypothetical prices would be through the roof already.

Now, with the steady 60€ per year as actually happened, and then the unimaginable, massive, horrific, add your own adjective here, increase of 33% at once, it goes like this.

60€
60€
60€
60€
60€
80€

It works out as 380€. Anyone who has had PS Plus for more than five years is still winning compared to them having raised the price every year.

Well my sub runs out next month i didn't know it was going up again tbh the ps5 is collecting dust i never had any interest in Sony's first party games apart from the GT series and that lost me :grumpy: Everything else I can happily play on pc so this might be the first time in 15 years it runs out and don't care to renew it right away.
I started paying for it to only race online but the free games have opened my eyes to other genres along the way and a few ps5 patches on older games has really enhanced their experience. I can't fault the service or how well the ps5 runs games so I'll likely still buy a new subscription but I'll reserve judgement till I see if the free games improve.

Last edited:
Remember when playing online was free? And still is on PC?

You're not winning.
PS+ subs ultimately go back into the PlayStation ecosystem. In part this helps subsidise hardware costs, fund developers, and so on. It's not just a fee to play online without additional benefits. Not to mention the PS+ library, with mine going back almost a decade, to the start of PS4 gen.

Sure, online play is free on PC. But over that same timeframe we've seen hardware costs increase some 200-300%. There was a time when you could pick up a console (of the day) equivalent PC for £1000 or less. Today you're looking at £2000 for anything of substance. Closer to £3000 for state-of-the-art.

So you take your choices!

PS+ subs ultimately go back into the PlayStation ecosystem. In part this helps subsidise hardware costs, fund developers, and so on. It's not just a fee to play online without additional benefits. Not to mention the PS+ library, with mine going back almost a decade, to the start of PS4 gen.

Sure, online play is free on PC. But over that same timeframe we've seen hardware costs increase some 200-300%. There was a time when you could pick up a console (of the day) equivalent PC for £1000 or less. Today you're looking at £2000 for anything of substance. Closer to £3000 for state-of-the-art.

So you take your choices!
Prices have long since crashed. They were insane for a while due to the crypto mining boom, but with that collapsed it's a buyers market and you can get high end cards for a lower cost than cards like the 1080 retailed at at their launch. £1000 is more than enough for a console competitive rig.

You're not winning.
Oh yes I am. Six years of PS+ and buying a PS5 on top of that would be around 900€ in total. The graphics cars alone for a PC that can run the games for free at 4K and steady 60 fps, or 120 fps in some cases, is in that ballpark already and it needs quite a few more parts to work.

That's an imaginary situation of course, not mine, since I also have a reasonably good gaming PC. Its overall price tag is somewhere around 2000€ so the point very much stands, in the same timeframe the hypothetical PS-only player still has around 1000€ left in comparison.

You're not winning.
As others have already pointed out, the difference of the price of console vs pc is already enough to pay years (or maybe decades) of PS+.
Yes, of course free would be cool, but lets not forget "free games" which are already more expensive than the sub itselft, and "free voice chat" if you like, though there are options on PC for this as well.

I think if PD would increase the daily race payouts you’d see an influx of drivers. I don’t mind those races but you sit there practicing and then qualify, you can’t enter with a friend (we managed it once where we got in the same race despite running identical lap times) I don’t even bother because I know I’ll have better racing with friends in our own lobby with less time practicing and qualifying and for single player races I know I’ll actually get paid for my time compared to sport mode.

I bought that 250GT Ferrari and have raced the last three evenings for a couple hours each to gain back my money and I’ve maybe earned $2,500,000, I decided not to race the big four, but 1.5 of that is I broke down and raced a 1hr spa because jumping from the other shorter races was taking too long to add up the credits.

They wouldn’t even need to change the payouts for 1st/2nd/3rd etc, just give everyone a bonus of $50,000-$75,000 for entering and actually FINISHING the race. That would give more incentive to do the daily races.

Prices have long since crashed. They were insane for a while due to the crypto mining boom, but with that collapsed it's a buyers market and you can get high end cards for a lower cost than cards like the 1080 retailed at at their launch. £1000 is more than enough for a console competitive rig.
Though it might seem to boom again due to the recent (generative) AI boom, which appear to be a GPU-dependent task.

GT7 is the only game I play online and I refuse to pay more when the daily races aren’t interesting on most weeks and PD can’t be bothered to have online championships of a decent length running on a regular basis.
This is exactly it, value. It's not about is it still physically affordable for most people, certainly most on here. To put the price up on the above, if you're only a GT player, is a bit of mickey take really.

Thankfully our household plays a fair few games online so it's not likely to impact me much.

Though Sony's PR team must be groaning into their corn flakes.

Back