Do you think the next Gran Turismo could see a PC release?

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 46 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
MHFanatik
Not a fanboy fever dream, but given Shawn Layden's recent comment:
In an interview, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony’s game studios worldwide, said exclusive titles will still be a part of the company’s strategy, but that some games -- particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers -- may see broader distribution.

“We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable,” Layden said. “That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base.”
Given the heavy lean on the E-sports angle and multiplayer GT is probably the most MP focused game Sony has at the moment, PC gamers always had a wide selection of sim titles on the platform and in order to grow GT as a multiplayer competitive title it would make sense for a PC version to show up in the future.

If this happens, then there's a big possibility that it will have a negative effect on the sales of the next-generation PlayStation console, which is the PS5. Who knows though. And by that article, I surely hope that the next GT title won't become an online type of game only, because that's what it seems to be suggesting if it's about being involved in e-sports.

I don’t think so. He is talking about titles that require a wider install base and I don’t think Gran Turismo is one of them.
GT is still fairly big, but it could be bigger and it's not as important for playstation anymore with the focus on narrative heavy games as Sony's main ace in the deck.

Not a fanboy fever dream, but given Shawn Layden's recent comment:

Given the heavy lean on the E-sports angle and multiplayer GT is probably the most MP focused game Sony has at the moment, PC gamers always had a wide selection of sim titles on the platform and in order to grow GT as a multiplayer competitive title it would make sense for a PC version to show up in the future.
No it would not. It is a system seller. You never put titles like that on any other system. It would kill console sales. Not to mention licensing agreements.

No it would not. It is a system seller. You never put titles like that on any other system. It would kill console sales. Not to mention licensing agreements.
So was Detroit. I dunno, seems like a good fit for GT to go PC/PS, it's no longer a sales juggernaut it once was. Licensing agreements are done on a game by game basis. Just speculating, but racing games marketing is shrinking with each generation, it's not a leading genre like it used to be. And they could still sell you microtransactions on PC.

So was Detroit. I dunno, seems like a good fit for GT to go PC/PS, it's no longer a sales juggernaut it once was. Licensing agreements are done on a game by game basis. Just speculating, but racing games marketing is shrinking with each generation, it's not a leading genre like it used to be. And they could still sell you microtransactions on PC.
Detroit was part of a settlement agreement with QD when Sony chose not to continue their exclusive relationship.

By the end of this gen we could fairly speculate GTS will be around 8m+ sales. That’s after a lacklustre launch and confusion over it’s direction. I would suggest a traditional GT7, launched in the first 18 months of PS5, could realistically top 10m. There’s also the option of being a PS+ monthly game. That would add millions of players in one go.

Seems unlikely but never say never. There's still a part of me that shudders about Sonic being on Nintendo platforms. If you'd told the school playground version of me (many many years ago) that was going to happen I would have laughed in your face and insulted your mum.

Happily that version of me is long gone.

Sony is completely uninvolved for PC (unlike Microsoft which runs one of PC OS) so no....

PS Now is available on PC. I know that's a little different but I wouldn't say they are completely uninvolved. They do recognise and use the platform.

It seems to be really hard to stop people cheating on PCs by using apps that manipulate the game code. Given how mad people got about people using a track shortcut that was available to everyone, I'd expect people to be even less happy when PC players can make their cars perform at a level of their choosing. When people do it to an extent that it's obvious, it's annoying but at least you know the times aren't legit, but what is to stop people from just going that little bit faster so nobody can say the performance is absolutely impossible:
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst156838_Rivals-Leaderboards-Exploits-Cheating.aspx

It would be cool tho...
Release on ps4/ps5 and then a year later when sales have cooled.. release 2.0 on pc
bring tbe player count back up. If gt7 is everything it should be it could easily have a 5 year lifespan.

I intend on buying GT7 and PS5 on release day and then maybe even a psvr 2 so I only care about higher player counts.

I would be very surprised if they did this. In fact, I'm kind of surprised at the little resurgence for PC games in general. I resisted the console idea for years. I usually only play sports games and the PC versions of these were much much better for years. But, as the PC Gaming era died (or so I thought) I was forced to get a PS3 and the rest is history.

With that said, I do think there is still a market for Star Wars types of games and I think those are the kind of multiplayer games he could be talking about.

But, as a friend once said to me, way back in 1999 "When I play a video game, I want to be comfy on my couch, I don't want to be sitting at a desk where I usually do my taxes and pay bills."

well if that is the case then they missed the boat with ps4 as the gtsport can out how long after ps4 came out ?
This sounds interesting.

The PS4 has been a consistent seller ever since it came out. Its total sales has even already exceeded the 100 million mark, which is definitely more than the lifetime sales of its direct predecessor, the PS3.

Needless to say, it has good game library and the system's hardware probably attracts a lot of third party studios so that's why they really helped a lot in boosting its sales.

By this, it would seem like it didn't need GT games to make sales but that doesn't mean that PD should start offering them to PC.

"particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers"

I think the above statement would say no, as Gran Turismo has since its inception ALWAYS been a console based designed game and never designed to be played on the PC..

This is like asking if Days Gone, The Last of Us and the Uncharted series will get to pc.

These are used as tools for Sony to get people to buy the console. That's it. Fullstop. Period.

Sony are the masters of making very high quality console exclusives (of course I dont include GT sport in that, hahah I kid) to draw people into their ecosystem.

In doing so they will top 100 mil consoles this generation and they hope that by getting you to buy their exclusives they expect you to buy other cross platform games on their console and PS Plus etc.

This is what Microsoft is terrible at.

Even Microsoft fans will admit that their handling of exclusives is sub par.

Further to this, Sony have almost no exposure to the PC ecosystem.

Unlike Microsoft who own Windows and really dominate in the PC gaming sphere, Steam aside.

PD take an inordinate amount of time to put out games on platforms with fixed specifications. How long do you think it will take them to make a game for a platform where memory and processing capabilities are constantly increasing? And when they do, how many people in the world do you think will own a PC that could play it?

Back