Do you think the next Gran Turismo could see a PC release?

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 46 comments
A lot of people on the console bandwagon here. And that's fine, but when looking at statistics, consoles have been declining in sales and popularity since ~2007 - 09. Console sales will continue to drop with mobile gaming offering portability and PC gaming offering higher tech and a better experience.
There is becoming no need for the one stop console gaming slash entertainment center with everything starting to integrate together. Some speculate that the next gen may be the last gen and I don't really doubt that. When we look at Gran Turismo Sport coming in at over 100 Gigabytes for the game, how do they sell future version? Do they just start selling external hardrives with the game on it? Not everyone can sit there and download 100 Gigs.

Consoles need to come in at around 500 dollars to be accessible to a broad range of consumers. This limits the capabilities and technology used compared to the PC market. Let's face it, consoles are just hindered PC's that only allow you to do what they want you to do. Looking into the distant future (maybe not so distant), I can see there being some type of "crossover" that sony may do. They might have to to keep sales. I for one am really not geeked at all to buy a PS5 when it comes out.

So console sales are dropping, you say?

While sales of the PS4 might be slowing down, it’s still the fastest home game consoles to reach 100 million unit sales, according to Daniel Ahmad, Senior Analyst at Niko Partners. That’s faster than both the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo’s popular Wii console. The PlayStation 4 reached this milestone after just 5 years and 7 months, and less than 3 years after passing 50 million sales.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ony-playstation-4-sales-100-million-milestone

It's no secret. You can search and find many a statistics.

Maybe I should add that I didn't mean actual revenue which is still high. Just console sales alone. That doesn't mean software or in game purchases.

VXR

It's just something the "PC Master Race" like to say in order to convince themselves that PC gaming is at the forefront of gaming. Sure PC's have a larger install base, but the vast majority of them are only capable of playing garbage like Dota 2. The mass amount of PC's being used to play those basic games in China allows them to inflate their numbers. The truth of the matter is though, as far as Triple A gaming is concerned, consoles are king, and have been for damn near a decade. AAA games are designed for console, and then upscaled for PC. Because consoles are where the $$$ is. They have a much larger install base than REAL gaming PC's, and that's not likely to change, especially given the insane pricing of the latest generation of GPU's.

Sorry "Master Race", but you've become irrelevant...and I own a PC capable of playing AAA games at 4K 60FPS.

It's just something the "PC Master Race" like to say in order to convince themselves that PC gaming is at the forefront of gaming. Sure PC's have a larger install base, but the vast majority of them are only capable of playing garbage like Dota 2. The mass amount of PC's being used to play those basic games in China allows them to inflate their numbers. The truth of the matter is though, as far as Triple A gaming is concerned, consoles are king, and have been for damn near a decade. AAA games are designed for console, and then upscaled for PC. Because consoles are where the $$$ is. They have a much larger install base than REAL gaming PC's, and that's not likely to change, especially given the insane pricing of the latest generation of GPU's.

Sorry "Master Race", but you've become irrelevant...and I own a PC capable of playing AAA games at 4K 60FPS.
i mostly use a console and i dont really care what the best may be , i look at all gaming as in the same boat .

saying that i fail to see how any console that uses hardware that is not any better than what i could get for a pc , is somehow better.

if gtsport did go to pc i think it would be a plus for sony . the ps5 is not going to need any one game to sell . i think it will sell just fine regardless

An actualy standalone PC version release? No. Exclusive franchises are the biggest selling point for consoles IMO.
Then again if marketing visions are to be believed streaming is where the ship is sailing, so a compatibility with PS NOW might be a possibility.

GT is Playstation more than any other Sony exclusive. Unthinkable.
True. That's more than anything else, I guess. By reading the OP above, it's like saying God of War should start being ported to PC, Xbox or Nintendo, despite the exclusivity of the title in Sony's consoles for a long time already.

PD take an inordinate amount of time to put out games on platforms with fixed specifications. How long do you think it will take them to make a game for a platform where memory and processing capabilities are constantly increasing? And when they do, how many people in the world do you think will own a PC that could play it?
It doesn't take longer than a couple weeks to port PS4 games to PC, it's not a unique architecture anymore. They would make a game within PS5 limitations and then a PC could push it at higher settings, resolutions and framerates. It's not a big problem for an experienced AAA team. Most midrange PC could run it at comparable quality, and then you could reduce settings for weaker machines. How did you think games worked for the last 40 years?

Last gen the sales were something like:
85 million X360s
85 mil PS3
100+ mil Wii
80 mil PSP
150mil NDS
Total: close to 500 mil consoles
This gen:
100 mil PS4
35 mil Xone
75 mil 3DS
10 mil Vita
12 mil Wii U
30 mil Switch
Total: around 250 mil incl 2 gens of Nintendo home consoles
It's not even remotely close.

But Nintendo released 2 relatively nonessential consoles post Wii, Sony stopped making a handheld and Microsoft screwed the pooch with the Xbox one, but that hasn't stopped PS4 selling 100m quicker than any console in history. That isn't the sign of a slowing market that's a sign of a dominant player in a reduced field of hardware.

VXR
But Nintendo released 2 relatively nonessential consoles post Wii, Sony stopped making a handheld and Microsoft screwed the pooch with the Xbox one, but that hasn't stopped PS4 selling 100m quicker than any console in history. That isn't the sign of a slowing market that's a sign of a dominant player in a reduced field of hardware.
It shows that the playerbase isn't growing compared to increased population, the population is above 7 billion people, almost double of what it was in the 90s, but the gaming market is smaller. PS4's sales would be impressive if there was any serious competition, but there isn't any, Xbox might as well not exist outside of US and UK, Ninty is a different audience alltogether. PS3 had everything stacked against it - high price, bad ports, complex architecture, no games for 3 years after launch, global financial crisis, strong competition from MS and Nintendo, strong handheld performance and rising mobile market and quickly advancing PC market, still it managed to clear solid 85 million, PS4 by comparison had the entire market handed to it with everyone else dead on arrival, still only got 100 mil.

Releasing a Gran Turismo title to pc is a huge advantage for Microsoft. I dont think PD or Sony ever do it.
the way i see it , if something like stadia takes of which we know sony , microsoft , nintendo seem to think is a real possibility because what has come out of their mouths , what choice would sony pd have ? a browser based game platform that can play AAA games is leap forward .

Interesting sales stats. I see this more as everyone else 'screwing up' and Sony capitalising on that by being on message and providing hardware and software product that meets/exceeds expectations.

One particular company deserves the wooden spoon and they're not in Japan.

Interesting sales stats. I see this more as everyone else 'screwing up' and Sony capitalising on that by being on message and providing hardware and software product that meets/exceeds expectations.

One particular company deserves the wooden spoon and they're not in Japan.
Yes they delivered a solid gaming option, but haven't grown the market overall, more likely they got back the people that switched to Xbox 360 after PS2. Still with subscriptions and digital revenues they're making more money than they did in the PS2 days, so it all works out.

Back