Does anyone else feel this way ?

• Thread starter AndrewOval
  • 18 comments
I only Drift AWD cars. They are the easiest to me personally and i get great angle and maneuverability with the awds. The FR's i can't drift, Does anyone else feel its difficult to drift the FR's compared to the AWD's ?

I can't drift period, so don't feel bad. Hell, I tend to do better powerslides with FF cars than I do FR. Seems every time I try to break the back end loose to compensate for understeer, I spin out. Can never seem to find that sweet spot between steering and throttle to maintain it once the tires break loose. I either spin completely, or over-correct to keep it from spinning, and I end up going into the far wall anyway.

I tend to do more powersliding than drifting, though. I'm much more of a grip racer.

I can't speak for GT:HD as I've never played it, but when I was into drifting on GT4 I found it a lot easier to drift an AWD car comapred to a FR or FF car.

However at the time I was warned that the technique required to drift AWD compared to FR was very different, so I was advised to start with FR cars and work on my skills, and then try AWD.

I couldn't tell you what the difference was, and why you should start with a FR car, but's that what I was told.

Are you talking about GT:HD or GT4 in general. If so, we have a specific drifting forum where this topic would be better suited. Actually, there are a few AWD threads there already. :)

talking about GTHD. It feels very easy to weight shift the cars and have the front pull forward when you about to exit the corner. With and FR it feels like to drift you have to use the right moment and proper counter steer in order to actually drift. Awd's feel like you dont have to counter steer at all and if you do its only lightly as were FR's you have to turn your steering wheel 180 degrees just to get a decent angle.

I feel it.....
what you are saying about FR verses AWD in GTHD makes sense the way you've described it. I drift AWD sometimes out of fun just to see big angles and long drifts here and there. I think it's a bit easier because it is more forgiving, coming from the perspective of how many variable you have to control.... less combination of countersteering with throttle to maintain a drift like an FR car.

However I don't practice drifting AWD because of this reason :)

I choose to drift FR over AWD because I feel more satisfied drifting such car(s).

My favorite car is the Suzuki Cappicino.

talking about GTHD. It feels very easy to weight shift the cars and have the front pull forward when you about to exit the corner. With and FR it feels like to drift you have to use the right moment and proper counter steer in order to actually drift. Awd's feel like you dont have to counter steer at all and if you do its only lightly as were FR's you have to turn your steering wheel 180 degrees just to get a decent angle.

You just described the difference between FR/MR vs AWD drifting almost perfectly. The only thing I would at to that is the entry point for AWD is more critical then FR/MR.

But yeah, that holds true in GT4 and GTHD. Think about it, you have power on the front that can literally pull you out of the drift. So of course you don't need as much counter steer. This is also why AWD's can get higher angles and pull out smoothly. I still like looking at FR/MR drifting better though. Something more fluid and organic to it. AWD just seems so systematic to me. Just my opinion though. :)

I only Drift AWD cars. They are the easiest to me personally and i get great angle and maneuverability with the awds. The FR's i can't drift, Does anyone else feel its difficult to drift the FR's compared to the AWD's ?
I find the car I'm most comfortable drifting is the Civic,and thats a FF car I think.

It is GSX. So Swift and Ohio, are you guys recommending that i start to drift FR ? I mean i wanna be a good overall drifter no matter awd,mr,and fr. I understand what you guys are saying as well about the aperance of a drift with FR. Like during the Formula D season there are no AWD's and the way how the counter steer looks on a FR is much more appealing/skill wise look.

You just described the difference between FR/MR vs AWD drifting almost perfectly. The only thing I would at to that is the entry point for AWD is more critical then FR/MR.

But yeah, that holds true in GT4 and GTHD. Think about it, you have power on the front that can literally pull you out of the drift. So of course you don't need as much counter steer. This is also why AWD's can get higher angles and pull out smoothly. I still like looking at FR/MR drifting better though. Something more fluid and organic to it. AWD just seems so systematic to me. Just my opinion though. :)

Im with you there, to put it the easy way.

RWD: Get the right angle and speed and try to keep that by adjusting acceleration, braking and steering.

AWD: Get the right speed and angle and floor it through the corner and do small adjustments with steering.

am i right?

It is GSX. So Swift and Ohio, are you guys recommending that i start to drift FR ? I mean i wanna be a good overall drifter no matter awd,mr,and fr. I understand what you guys are saying as well about the aperance of a drift with FR. Like during the Formula D season there are no AWD's and the way how the counter steer looks on a FR is much more appealing/skill wise look.

FR is the real deal
MR/RR is a little more balanced, but less fun
4WD is easy but it's technically rally

I agree, AWD drifting is easier for me in GT:HD (for now, I have only played a few times). The MX-5 seemed to be lacking in power for me, and the 599 had too much. The R32 was good, but spinning out was common for me:crazy: . With the Evo (the earlier one, I think IV or VI???) I could get much higher points values and satisfying drifts. however, when I get my ps3 (When the price drops!!!:scared: ) I will endevour to drift rear-wheel drive cars as well as I can in GT3 and GT4 :sly: :dopey:

I can only drift AWD. Well, I can do the others, but if I get points, a crash is coming :)

I can easily drift with a pad, but with a wheel...

You can drift AWD because they're easy, but you can't drift FR because they're too hard to?

Tell me something.
Did you ever stop to think that the reason the difficulty between the 2 are so different is because of how both of those drivetrains work?

You can drift AWD because they're easy, but you can't drift FR because they're too hard to?

Tell me something.
Did you ever stop to think that the reason the difficulty between the 2 are so different is because of how both of those drivetrains work?

Which is why he's asking! Shouldn't it be easier to drive rear wheel? And we're saying know because there needs to be more countersteer :)

To go out on a limb... Drifting as far as I'm concerned is RWD only. Sliding AWDs is fun in it's own right, but I don't really consider it drifting (as in the motorsport). It's in the ballpark, but it's not the same game.

It's fun to race AWDs sideways though, like rallycross or something... Sliding FFs is something I could never understand the point of.

Ske
To go out on a limb... Drifting as far as I'm concerned is RWD only. Sliding AWDs is fun in it's own right, but I don't really consider it drifting (as in the motorsport). It's in the ballpark, but it's not the same game.

It's fun to race AWDs sideways though, like rallycross or something... Sliding FFs is something I could never understand the point of.

Well said! 👍

Back